Aaron Rodgers traded to the New York Jets

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We overpaid. Yes we got our guy… but who we could’ve got in FA with Rodgers here could’ve changed things. It’s all hypothetical… so it’s a moot point. But I’d have to think our odds of signing guys like Brown, Cox, Campbell, OBJ, etc would’ve been better if Rodgers was here earlier. We waited until 3 days before the draft to give up a huge package for him? Why not have just done this the day after McAfee and have had the last 5-6 weeks to improve the roster? It made sense to wait to get a decent trade value. But we waited and lost value wise. So you overpaid and lost the chance at some FAs in the process.

this is plain silly.  pretty much everyone knew rodgers would ultimately wind up a jet.  the only reason OBJ even considered the jets is because of rodgers (and thankfully we didn't match the contract baltimore gave him).  cox stayed in philly because he wanted to play 1 more year in philly.  campbell signed like a week ago and was plenty aware rodgers was coming (i think rodgers even reached out to him).   orlando brown went to the bengals who have a great young franchise QB.

none of those misses were because the jets and packers didn't consummate the trade a month ago.

as to losing value, we don't know the contract details.  if conner hughes' tweets are accurate, the hit to the jets isn't as large as many think and is set up for rodgers to play more than 1 year, meaning they can still add more pieces, be it this year or next.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Exactly.  

I hate pinning my hopes on Connor Hughes and Boomer Esiason  but if they’re to be believed, a pretty significant contract restructure is coming.

Nope.  Boomer is a moron. He was talking about the same thing as Rapoport’s tweet. Just confirmed it on his show. 

With a night to sleep on it, I am comfortable with the deal and the draft comp - especially since the Jets appear confident that Rodgers will play for at least 2 seasons.

The part I like least in the trade is the 1st round pick swap.  With so few players rated as true first round talents, moving down from 13 to 15 could cost you one of the last guys you really like.  It would hurt to see someone like Skoronski go to the Pack or the Cheats right before our pick at 15. But the Jets know their board better than I do, and they seem to feel comfortable, so I can't get too upset over it. If, come draft day, we still get a Skoronski or a Johnson or a Jones, I'll be very happy.

In any event, we have Aaron Rodgers playing QB for us, and that's going to be fantastic to watch. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

But let's not act like winning a SB is easy. Especially being in the AFC where there's 2-3 teams just as good as us, if not better.

you realize that you just elevated the jets to the level of the chiefs, bengals and bills?  i mean is there any other feasible move out there that the jets could have done that would result in YOU posting something saying the jets are now on par with the best teams in the AFC???

of course winning a SB is not easy.  and getting rodgers in no way ensures the jets win one, or even make one.  but they now are in the conversation of being a legit contender.  when was the last time that happened? 

stop worrying about the cap.  they have plenty of cap space in the future, and many reports suggest rodgers' contract is being re-worked to lessen the cap hit for the jets.  

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This team is an injury away from having as worse WR core than Rodgers had last year (which I'm continually told is the reason he had his, by far, worse season as a pro)

it's like you wake up in the morning looking for things to complain about

btw - when he had davante adams and not much else, the same thing held.  the bills would be lost without diggs.  the cowboys would be in trouble without lamb.  the rams sucked without kupp.  vikings would be screwed without jefferson.  

so yeah, losing a star player usually hurts a team

also, water is wet

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You should stop you have no idea how the cap works. You have no idea what Q's salary would be next year. $25 million/year doesn't mean $25 million in salary cap per year. Just stop, you're out of your depth. 

So you have no clue what Qs contract or Rodgers will look like as well if we have to pay Becton too (whether it be 5th year option or as a FA)? Got it.

You're just throwing out stuff to fit your narrative. Obviously money can be moved around. But we will no question be money tied next off season.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Do you think I was saying 3 games is 65%?

No, I wasn't sure what you were saying.  I thought you were saying that he would have to miss 3 games to not hit 65%.  Actually it's 7.  Either way, the math is funny.

44 minutes ago, choon328 said:

When you see someone in life who is always against something whether it's a Jets fan or whether it's at work it  typically means that they don't have enough balls to go out on a limb and leave themselves vulnerable. They are probably not very bright and so they have no thoughts of their own to contribute. And they probably not very successful people.

Come on man …let’s leave childish name calling out of it.

Disagree on the merits of the argument.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So you have no clue what Qs contract or Rodgers will look like as well if we have to pay Becton too (whether it be 5th year option or as a FA)? Got it.

You're just throwing out stuff to fit your narrative. Obviously money can be moved around. But we will no question be money tied next off season.

you do realize that the bold and underline part is exactly what YOU are doing

• Upvote 1

Don’t buy into the notion that with Rodgers it’s “Super Bowl or bust”

“Playoffs or bust?”  Yes - and just the “anticipation” over the next 3-4 months is to be savored and adds a level of excitement we (as Jets fans) haven’t felt in over a decade.

Hell of a ride ahead. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We overpaid. Yes we got our guy… but who we could’ve got in FA with Rodgers here could’ve changed things. It’s all hypothetical… so it’s a moot point. But I’d have to think our odds of signing guys like Brown, Cox, Campbell, OBJ, etc would’ve been better if Rodgers was here earlier. We waited until 3 days before the draft to give up a huge package for him? Why not have just done this the day after McAfee and have had the last 5-6 weeks to improve the roster? It made sense to wait to get a decent trade value. But we waited and lost value wise. So you overpaid and lost the chance at some FAs in the process.

Had it been done earlier, the Jets would have given up even more than they did yesterday.  Yoi realize that if it were done earlier, the draft capital would have been significantly more than yesterday.  Do you really think Green Bay increased its demands over the time span?  If anything, they reduced them. Considerably.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Had it been done earlier, the Jets would have given up even more than they did yesterday.  Yoi realize that if it were done earlier, the draft capital would have been significantly more than yesterday.  Do you really think Green Bay increased its demands over the time span?  If anything, they reduced them. Considerably.

I think we gave them roughly what they wanted bc we wanted this done and over pre draft. 

45 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Another 500 pages on the salary cap implications 

Fan handwringing over the cap is dramatically disproportionate to the constraints it places on teams with average or better front offices.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

So Q won’t get paid next year? Rodgers won’t get paid? And a Becton might not get paid?

Those are all real things. 

You don't know what the cap hit will be for any of them. Their cap space is $51 million WITH Rodgers current contract included. That's from Over The Cap. 

• Upvote 1