Worried about Tomlinson?

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mike Lafleur banged the table for him.  Maybe one of the reasons he was let go.  Tomlinson was horrific last year.

Duane Brown wasnt good either but at least he was hurt.

Milfy seemed to bang the table for a lot of guys. Maybe he should have been a coach and make the oline coach was doing his job. No excuse for a highly rated vet to not perform but sometimes the coaches just don’t inspire.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mitchell Schwartz (the old right tackle for the Browns and Chiefs) once said something interesting about running games. He said that in order to produce a six yard run, it takes all eleven players on offense doing the right thing at the right time, whereas a six yard pass requires the QB and receiver to be on the same page while the line blocks for literally a second. The Jets offense had a ton of upheaval last season, and it took them 3/4ths of the year to get their sh*t together

This. I'm not over-worried about Laken because he's got a long track record of success and last year was a transition to a new team, at a position that essentially requires continuity, that then got overlaid with an endless rotation of players next to him. That significantly extended out the transition period and made his job tougher than what would be expected.

Look, the guy was very very good for a long time in SF, and he's only 31 years old. The odds that he suddenly forgot how to play football or his skills massively declined are low. Between familiarity and regression to the mean I'd expect him to be at least a competent LG this season

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

This. I'm not over-worried about Laken because he's got a long track record of success and last year was a transition to a new team, at a position that essentially requires continuity, that then got overlaid with an endless rotation of players next to him. That significantly extended out the transition period and made his job tougher than what would be expected.

Look, the guy was very very good for a long time in SF, and he's only 31 years old. The odds that he suddenly forgot how to play football or his skills massively declined are low. Between familiarity and regression to the mean I'd expect him to be at least a competent LG this season

It was also a transition to an offense that he knew, and he is a veteran.

I don't think he forgot how to play.   I think it's very possible he got paid at 31 and decided not to put in the work anymore.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Played with a revolving cast of OTs, an idiot OC and trash QBs. He's fine.

I am generally pretty positive as far as Jets fans go. This, though, makes me seem like a doubting SOJ fan.

He was awful last year. Can he rebound? Yes. Will he? We really don't know. And I'm not about to say that he's fine. Fortunately, the team has some good depth at IOL.

None of us knows what is going on in these guy's lives. He could have had some marital problems or an illness in the family that was distracting him from playing his best.  Or, perhaps, he is not that good, and the high level of play with the Niners was an aberration. After all, he was a first round pick of the Lions in 2015 who was then traded in 2017 to the Niners for a 5th round pick. And then the Niners did not pick up his fifth year option. So, perhaps, substandard play is what he has provided mostly during his career? 

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

It was also a transition to an offense that he knew, and he is a veteran.

I don't think he forgot how to play.   I think it's very possible he got paid at 31 and decided not to put in the work anymore.

The issue wasn't lack of knowing the plays. For an OL, knowing the players is equally important. You need to have your timing down, know how the guy next to you will react to certain stunts, etc. There's a reason people talk about OL needing time to gel

16 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

He was atrocious last year. If last year is a true sign for this year as opposed to an anomaly, he won't play. McGovern and Tippmann will both be on the field.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Tomlinson is likely a backup next year if things go well.  The big question is can Tippmann be ready for Week 1 under the Monday Night Football lights snapping to a win-now HoF quarterback in what's almost a must win game at Home?

That's a lot to ask of the rookie.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, AFJF said:

Saleh says the best 5 will play.  If he plays like he did in 2022, Tomlinson won't be among those five.

Do you think he bounces back?

He bounces back because he will have AVT on the other side and a healthy (to start) Brown to his outside. Hopefully with improved play around him will make him less leaky. 

7 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

One of the few sensible posts in this thread (Tom Shane's stats were useful too). Tomlinson before coming to the Jets was a top-ten guard in the league and a pro bowler. He was good in pass protection and run blocking (both top ten grades). Suddenly as a Jet he tanks out of the gate and it takes him season to recover. Based on his age and career, I can't imagine him not rebounding. The Jets offensive line was a rotational injury mess last year in front of a gaggle of bad to mediocre quarterbacks. 

The problem with laken tomlinson is he was never an elite athlete 

His RAS was like 4. Over drafted out of duke, played next to the greatest left tackle of the last decade in Trent and then the Jets gave him the bag for no apparent reason 

Last year he goes over the hill 

Laken is paid too much not to start but realistically he shouldn't be a starter