Worried about Tomlinson?

Saleh says the best 5 will play.  If he plays like he did in 2022, Tomlinson won't be among those five.

Do you think he bounces back?

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

30 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Saleh says the best 5 will play.  If he plays like he did in 2022, Tomlinson won't be among those five.

Saleh say a lot of things don’t he.  He also said that with the exception of the very rare unicorns like Donald, and upper echelons that there is very little difference between players A and player B.

I expect him make good choices.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He had great difficulty blocking for Flacco and Zach Wilson last year. Greatly improved when those losers went to the bench. 22 pressures came in the first ten weeks, ten over the last seven. Only charged with one sack allowed. 

IMG_3897.jpeg

Are you saying they held the ball too long?

I watched him closely a lot last season, especially as the season progressed, and he seemed to get beat awfully quickly/decisively all year. He looked like he was playing in quicksand. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Yes.  Rough season last year.  

22 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

He was atrocious last year. If last year is a true sign for this year as opposed to an anomaly, he won't play. McGovern and Tippmann will both be on the field.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He had great difficulty blocking for Flacco and Zach Wilson last year. Greatly improved when those losers went to the bench. 22 pressures came in the first ten weeks, ten over the last seven. Only charged with one sack allowed. 

IMG_3897.jpeg

Played with a revolving cast of OTs, an idiot OC and trash QBs. He's fine.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_3897.jpeg

That is some really good data and insight Tom.  Thanks for sharing.

It actually makes me feel a lot better.

He was a lot weaker in the run game which supposedly was his bread & butter .. but again how much of that was due to stacked boxes because of poor QB play..  or due to a poor OC, OLine coach and Center. 

Everyone looked lost in the run game.  Complete lack of cohesion.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Played with a revolving cast of OTs, an idiot OC and trash QBs. He's fine.

That’s the hope 

On the other hand, the same can be said for some other guys on that interior and he looked as bad or worse than any of them 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I watched him closely a lot last season, especially as the season progressed, and he seemed to get beat awfully quickly/decisively all year. He looked like he was playing in quicksand. 

Zach definitely held the ball too long, and retreated from the LOS besides. Flacco has always been a sack magnet by design. Tomlinson was never a great guard and is absolutely overpaid, but the transition from the San Fran offense to whatever it was we were trying to do was an impossible climb. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Zach definitely held the ball too long, and retreated from the LOS besides. Flacco has always been a sack magnet by design. Tomlinson was never a great guard and is absolutely overpaid, but the transition from the San Fran offense to whatever it was we were trying to do was an impossible climb. 

Sure, but all of our OL had to deal with Wilson and Flacco. Tomlinson was one of our worst OL last year and possibly (?) one of the worst starters on the entire team. That’s not an exaggeration. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

That is some really good data and insight Tom.  Thanks for sharing.

It actually makes me feel a lot better.

He was a lot weaker in the run game which supposedly was his bread & butter .. but again how much of that was due to stacked boxes because of poor QB play..  or due to a poor OC, OLine coach and Center. 

Everyone looked lost in the run game.  Complete lack of cohesion.

Mitchell Schwartz (the old right tackle for the Browns and Chiefs) once said something interesting about running games. He said that in order to produce a six yard run, it takes all eleven players on offense doing the right thing at the right time, whereas a six yard pass requires the QB and receiver to be on the same page while the line blocks for literally a second. The Jets offense had a ton of upheaval last season, and it took them 3/4ths of the year to get their sh*t together

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As evidenced by his week 1 grade

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Sure, but all of our OL had to deal with Wilson and Flacco. Tomlinson was one of our worst OL last year and possibly (?) one of the worst starters on the entire team. That’s not an exaggeration. 

According to PFF, Tomlinson was our second highest graded pass blocker of our starting five linemen, trailing only Duane Brown. Connor McGovern was next, then AVT.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_3897.jpeg

Good info.

im still hoping someone else is better. He was the worst non-ZW player of offense last year, an absolute liability. 

He’s always had below average, athletic ability but was supposed to be a savvy vet, but he looked lost AND unathletic last year. 

Maybe, maybe, some of that had to do with Mcgovern last year, zero teams wanted him as a FA. Maybe Tippmann solidifies the pivot and let’s the G’s thrive (?)

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

When a QB holds the ball too long, pff attributes those pressures to the QB and not to the OL. Him grading better with White suggest it likely was communication issues. Zach probably was not identifying the defense correctly.

We won’t have that problem with Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

When a QB holds the ball too long, pff attributes those pressures to the QB and not to the OL. Him grading better with White suggest it likely was communication issues. Zach probably was not identifying the defense correctly.

We won’t have that problem with Rodgers.

Sure - and I agree 

but again, the rest of the OL played with the same QBs Tomlinson did and he looked particularly weak to me. PFF doesn’t agree (not the first time), so maybe I’m just wrong or overstating things, but the only Jet more disappointing to me than Tomlinson last year was Zach Wilson 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

No way he starts, and he shouldn't start, and it bothers me that most people here anoint him as the starter at LG. If in fact Becton proves that he can stay healthy and solid as LT, AVT should be LG. No questions. It is no longer Wilson behind the line, it's Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Good info.

im still hoping someone else is better. He was the worst non-ZW player of offense last year, an absolute liability. 

He’s always had below average, athletic ability but was supposed to be a savvy vet, but he looked lost AND unathletic last year. 

Maybe, maybe, some of that had to do with Mcgovern last year, zero teams wanted him as a FA. Maybe Tippmann solidifies the pivot and let’s the G’s thrive (?)

Yeah, I definitely thought McGovern was a bigger issue, particularly on stunts and whatnot. Tippman should fix a lot of that

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I’m not particularly concerned. I don't think he’ll be great and live up to his contract. But I expect him to be a middle of the pack Guard.

My expectation for our OL:

Middle of the Pack: Brown, Laken and Tipmann

All-Pro: AVT and Becton

Becton being anything remotely close to All-pro would be game-changing. Let’s start with not sustaining a season ending injury before the end of the first game. 

Guy has been a seasoned pro his whole career. He’s only 31 years old, I don’t think he completely lost his abilities to be a top tier guard in the league. I give him a mulligan on last year because that whole offensive unit was dysfunctional. I honestly think he’ll be fine this year and look forward to him bouncing back.

7 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Guy has been a seasoned pro his whole career. He’s only 31 years old, I don’t think he completely lost his abilities to be a top tier guard in the league. I give him a mulligan on last year because that whole offensive unit was dysfunctional. I honestly think he’ll be fine this year and look forward to him bouncing back.

One of the few sensible posts in this thread (Tom Shane's stats were useful too). Tomlinson before coming to the Jets was a top-ten guard in the league and a pro bowler. He was good in pass protection and run blocking (both top ten grades). Suddenly as a Jet he tanks out of the gate and it takes him season to recover. Based on his age and career, I can't imagine him not rebounding. The Jets offensive line was a rotational injury mess last year in front of a gaggle of bad to mediocre quarterbacks. 

• Upvote 2