New Offensive Expectations Should Give Izzy Abanikanda Shot to Catch on Quickly at Pro Level

Abanikanda-scaled.jpg

Take the time to watch Jets running back Izzy Abanikanda and his eye-popping runs during his time at Pitt and you can’t help but get excited about what the explosive runner can do for this Jets offense.

After logging over 1,400 yards and 20 touchdowns on the ground in his final collegiate season, expect Abanikanda to show off another aspect of his game now that he’s landed at 1 Jets Drive.  That facet of his game being his ability to make plays as a receiver out of the backfield.

As mentioned with @DTereman on our draft wrap up show. Pitt didn't ask Abanikanda to catch the ball all that often, but in limited opportunities he flashed the ability to make plays.

With Rodgers/Hackett, you have to figure we'll see more of this. pic.twitter.com/CbokNSnpa6

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) May 1, 2023

Abanikanda wasn’t asked to catch the ball very often for the Panthers, hauling in just 38 passes in three seasons.  But with Aaron Rodgers under center and Nathaniel Hackett calling the plays, Abanikanda should expect a significant uptick in receptions.  While paired as the Packers QB/OC combo from 2019-2021, Packers running backs hauled in 281 passes.  Jets fans should expect more of the same with Breece Hall, Abanikanda, Michael Carter, Bam Knight and potentially Travis Dye on board.

Israel Abanikanda is more than just a guy who hits the hole and goes. Can run inside, outside and make plays after the catch. Not an easy guy for opposing defenses to bring down. pic.twitter.com/y6EgS60gDF

— Glenn Naughton (@JetsPicks) January 21, 2023

With so few catches under his belt at Pitt, some may wonder if it’s a skill the versatile back his in his tool box.  In that regard, former Jets defensive lineman Leger Douzable, while appearing on With the First Pick podcast said he spoke to a scout who attended Abanikanda’s pro day and said  the back had no issues catching the ball out of the backfield.  Given what Rodgers and Hackett like to do on offense, it’s fair to say the Jets agreed.

The post New Offensive Expectations Should Give Izzy Abanikanda Shot to Catch on Quickly at Pro Level appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont see him playing much unless Breece goes down.  I think as a rookie he is going to get a year to learn the pro game, pass blocking etc.  I think Breece will get 75% of the snaps and MC 25% of the snaps.

Next year, it will be a 1-2 punch of Breece and Izzy.

you never disappoint.....always exceed my expectations

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont see him playing much unless Breece goes down.  I think as a rookie he is going to get a year to learn the pro game, pass blocking etc.  I think Breece will get 75% of the snaps and MC 25% of the snaps.

Yeah, the way the Jets didn’t play MC1 or Breece in their rookie years really has to lead you to believe that sitting first year backs is what they do. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I really feel we are over optimistic about a RB returning from an ACL tear. We are treating this as he will be the same guy. He won’t be. Physically and Psychologically he’ll be a tad slower and wary that has a profound impact at the high speed NFL level.

Abanikanda plays and plays a lot. The best and most vital pick in the Jets draft 

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hopefully he can return punts and kickoffs!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Agreed 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cyberjet said:

I really feel we are over optimistic about a RB returning from an ACL tear. We are treating this as he will be the same guy. He won’t be. Physically and Psychologically he’ll be a tad slower and wary that has a profound impact at the high speed NFL level.

Abanikanda plays and plays a lot. The best and most vital pick in the Jets draft 

Posted this in the Dalvin Cook thread, guess it belongs here, too…

Breece isn’t even 22 years old yet. Young people generally recover faster. He was hurt in the 7th game of the year last season, opening day is ten months removed from that date. Nowadays an ACL typically takes about 6-9 months. All reports have Hall on or ahead of schedule, with many of those reports gushing about how well he’s doing. 

I’m not concerned. 

• Upvote 1

If you know the player, you know he’s not ready for big time playing time. Maybe I am wrong but check out his tape on blocking and pass catching. It’s just not there. Good kid. Lots of potential.  But just not an NFL back at the moment, other than some change of pace runs and special teams/returns. Huge upside though but there was a reason he was a late 5th round draft pick. 

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Running back is one position where rookies can contribute quite a bit.   If he is as explosive as they say, Id bet he plays a lot

16 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

If you know the player, you know he’s not ready for big time playing time. Maybe I am wrong but check out his tape on blocking and pass catching. It’s just not there. Good kid. Lots of potential.  But just not an NFL back at the moment, other than some change of pace runs and special teams/returns. Huge upside though but there was a reason he was a late 5th round draft pick. 

Most rookie RBs need to work on pass protection so to that point I agree with you, but I think we all just have different definitions of Izzy contributing "a lot" as a rookie.  Look what Bam McKnight did as a UDFA last year - 85 carries for 300 yards.  I think a similar rookie season would be great for Izzy, not because he isnt capable of more but we just have a loaded RB room at this point.  

Our combined RB spend is about $4 million this year and $5 million next year for Breece, McKnight, MC and Izzy - that is extremely affordable to have that kind of talent and depth at the position and allows us to skip RB in next years draft.  Brining all these guys along slowly, whether due to inexperience or injury, is of a great benefit to the team as a whole.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Most rookie RBs need to work on pass protection so to that point I agree with you, but I think we all just have different definitions of Izzy contributing "a lot" as a rookie.  Look what Bam McKnight did as a UDFA last year - 85 carries for 300 yards.  I think a similar rookie season would be great for Izzy, not because he isnt capable of more but we just have a loaded RB room at this point.  

Our combined RB spend is about $4 million this year and $5 million next year for Breece, McKnight, MC and Izzy - that is extremely affordable to have that kind of talent and depth at the position and allows us to skip RB in next years draft.  Brining all these guys along slowly, whether due to inexperience or injury, is of a great benefit to the team as a whole.

Agreed. Bam’s year is similar to what I would expect. But relying on him to be more than that is just misguided and not realistic. 

15 hours ago, JetNation said:

Abanikanda-scaled.jpg

Take the time to watch Jets running back Izzy Abanikanda and his eye-popping runs during his time at Pitt and you can’t help but get excited about what the explosive runner can do for this Jets offense.

After logging over 1,400 yards and 20 touchdowns on the ground in his final collegiate season, expect Abanikanda to show off another aspect of his game now that he’s landed at 1 Jets Drive.  That facet of his game being his ability to make plays as a receiver out of the backfield.

As mentioned with @DTereman on our draft wrap up show. Pitt didn't ask Abanikanda to catch the ball all that often, but in limited opportunities he flashed the ability to make plays.

With Rodgers/Hackett, you have to figure we'll see more of this. pic.twitter.com/CbokNSnpa6

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) May 1, 2023

Abanikanda wasn’t asked to catch the ball very often for the Panthers, hauling in just 38 passes in three seasons.  But with Aaron Rodgers under center and Nathaniel Hackett calling the plays, Abanikanda should expect a significant uptick in receptions.  While paired as the Packers QB/OC combo from 2019-2021, Packers running backs hauled in 281 passes.  Jets fans should expect more of the same with Breece Hall, Abanikanda, Michael Carter, Bam Knight and potentially Travis Dye on board.

Israel Abanikanda is more than just a guy who hits the hole and goes. Can run inside, outside and make plays after the catch. Not an easy guy for opposing defenses to bring down. pic.twitter.com/y6EgS60gDF

— Glenn Naughton (@JetsPicks) January 21, 2023

With so few catches under his belt at Pitt, some may wonder if it’s a skill the versatile back his in his tool box.  In that regard, former Jets defensive lineman Leger Douzable, while appearing on With the First Pick podcast said he spoke to a scout who attended Abanikanda’s pro day and said  the back had no issues catching the ball out of the backfield.  Given what Rodgers and Hackett like to do on offense, it’s fair to say the Jets agreed.

The post New Offensive Expectations Should Give Izzy Abanikanda Shot to Catch on Quickly at Pro Level appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

He wasn’t asked to catch the ball out of the backfield or block, because he is just not good at it. The times he broke a few were obvious running plays in mostly blowout games and even then he had a ton a drops and he cannot block. That’s just fact. Do some research. He’s a burst when you need it and change of pace, and return man, in the NFL, at least for now.  

Meanwhile, we have Breece and Michael Carter and Bam. Hope we have enough depth. Might need to bring in another guy. 

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think/hope Breece is brought back very slowly.  I'd be ecstatic if he has about 40 carries for the first month of the season.  It's a 17 game season, plus hopefully a few in January.   They will need 3 running backs realistically, and running back is one position  you can help out at ASAP

2 hours ago, JETS SB said:

He wasn’t asked to catch the ball out of the backfield or block, because he is just not good at it. The times he broke a few were obvious running plays in mostly blowout games and even then he had a ton a drops and he cannot block. That’s just fact. Do some research. He’s a burst when you need it and change of pace, and return man, in the NFL, at least for now.  

Meanwhile, we have Breece and Michael Carter and Bam. Hope we have enough depth. Might need to bring in another guy. 

They have 4 already, and I don't see them having 5 on the active roster. None would last long on the PS

1 hour ago, billo83 said:

They have 4 already, and I don't see them having 5 on the active roster. None would last long on the PS

Wouldn't count Dye out either as a guy who could steal a roster spot.  As much as I like Izzy, Dye was super productive at Oregon and USC and as of right now is the better blocker.  

4 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Hmmm....believe what I've seen for myself and the account of a scout at his pro day or random guy on JN?  Tough call.

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Your definitely a finalist for The Jets Nation Eeyore Award that I'll post very soon. 

6 hours ago, slats said:

Posted this in the Dalvin Cook thread, guess it belongs here, too…

Breece isn’t even 22 years old yet. Young people generally recover faster. He was hurt in the 7th game of the year last season, opening day is ten months removed from that date. Nowadays an ACL typically takes about 6-9 months. All reports have Hall on or ahead of schedule, with many of those reports gushing about how well he’s doing. 

I’m not concerned. 

I think he will eventually recover-  I just don’t think he comes blasting out of the starting gate

• Upvote 1