DeAndre Hopkins Released And Then Played Great For the Titans Who Intelligently Signed Him. This is real life, not Madden.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

And if that guy misses significant time we have Corey Davis forced into a #1 role, which he isn't capable of. Not only would Hopkins be a major upgrade over Corey Davis as the #2 WR, he would be an excellent insurance policy if GW went down. 

Also let’s keep in mind that Hackett loves big WRs. So he I’m sure is all for DHop.

• Upvote 2

Good debate, went from Let's go get him to reconsidering the effect on team chemistry.

I'm leaning towards sticking with Corey Davis as he is a good locker room influence and he does the dirty, selfless stuff like down field blocking. Like others, I'm interested in seeing his #'s with Rogers

Interesting Stats- Credit Michael Nania 11/22/22

With Davis on the field the Jets averaged 5.18 YPC as compared to 3.91 YPC with him off the field. A difference of 1.27 YPC

Those #'s don't factor the loss of Breece and AVT which factor heavily

Yet,

When you do factor the first 7 games with Breece and AVT- 

Davis being on the field averaged 5.18 YPC as compared to 4.17 YPC with him off the field. A difference of 1.01 YPC

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

How is he on the decline? He played in 9 games last year due to suspension and had over 700 yards. If you extrapolate his numbers for a full 17 game season he would have had 1350 yards receiving.

DHop is a stud. Still a top 10 wr in the league.

On a 4-13 team odds are you’re playing from behind late in games when defenses are playing a lot looser coverages and it’s easier to compile statistics that are misleading. 
And why exactly did he get suspended? Performance enhancing substances that’s a big red flag as far as I’m concerned 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Having good players helps a team win.  Having better players helps a team win more.

Hopkins will make this team noticeably better - absolutely worth going after - and probably necessary if you really have Super Bowl aspirations.

Strangely written from non fan perspective 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

Good debate, went from Let's go get him to reconsidering the effect on team chemistry.

I'm leaning towards sticking with Corey Davis as he is a good locker room influence and he does the dirty, selfless stuff like down field blocking. Like others, I'm interested in seeing his #'s with Rogers

Interesting Stats- Credit Michael Nania 11/22/22

With Davis on the field the Jets averaged 5.18 YPC as compared to 3.91 YPC with him off the field. A difference of 1.27 YPC

Those #'s don't factor the loss of Breece and AVT which factor heavily

Yet,

When you do factor the first 7 games with Breece and AVT- 

Davis being on the field averaged 5.18 YPC as compared to 4.17 YPC with him off the field. A difference of 1.01 YPC

Bro you upgrade if you can...him catching tds fixes team chemistry over night 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

If weather is supposedly a big factor, then the Buffalo Bills definitely isn't a destination he'd go to.

Nobody wanted to trade for him, I don’t think he’s picking and choosing tbh

2 hours ago, JiF said:

This is a blazing hot take filled w/ logic and facts.  It's hot.  Very deep.  Extremely well thought out.

////looks over at the Cardinals record after Hopkins came back from suspension and notice they were 2-4 w/out him, 2-11 w/ him.

So, is your point Hopkins isn't good? Or that good players don't help you win?

Hopkins isn't good is more a valid argument then one you seem to be trying to make  - which is good players don't help you win.

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:
3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:
The Jets could be $100mm under the cap and still would not have signed Q.  Q isn't not signed because the Jets can't afford it.  He's not signed because there's a disconnect on contract value.  These things happen all over the league...It will get settled or they'll franchise him next year.  
You don't not bring in good talent because you're in a contract negotiation with another good player.
Bringing in a Hopkins has no relevance to QW as a player, his relationships with the Jets and his contract.
There are no bad optics is signing one of the better WR's in the game.

Assuming he wants to come here. That's a huge part of the equation.

Agreed.  They might not be able to convince him - surely that can be true...

But to simply not try, because.... 

1) We're already loaded (which is far from the reality)

2) It'll hurt QW's feelings

Is just ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I agree, that doesn't mean that's how Quinnen feels.

Fair enough - but who cares how Q feels?  You can't run your franchise on the emotions of 25 year old millionaires.

Jets have a ton on leverage with the Franchise tag next year.   Q will play this year at his current value and franchise value next year - or he'll sign a new long term contract.  Either way he's playing for the Jets for at least the next two seasons.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hopkins is going to demand alot of money.  Joe D wont come near that amount.

It will be leaked the Jets sniffed around, but as usual, Joe will be smart and wont overpay for a guy whos on the downside of his career.

Would you rather have Corey and Ashtyn Davis for $16m? Or Hopkins?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

There is a zero percent chance the  Jets pay a total of 16 million for Corey and Ashtyn this year. They're getting cut or restructured.

Even if they did, it would be for 1 year while Dhop will want a multi year deal which rarely works out for a 31 year old Wide Receiver. 

I am all for bringing in Dhop but it doesn't sound like he even wants to be here. 

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

Spotrac says 2 years 38mm is the projected salary.

Have to pass on that.

They just traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for what could very likely be a 1 year rental for a QB. Yes that's a high number and he probably isn't worth that. But overpaying for talent is something they have to do at this point. Joe went all in on this year and, to this point, has half-assed upgrading the offense around him. At some point you need to bring in some talent on the offense. I'm not saying it absolutely needs to be Hopkins (he's been pretty clear he doesn't want to play here anyway) but you're going to need to do something drastic for someone. If not, what the heck was the point of trading all that capital for Rodgers?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Davis x2 = $13MM (net $12MM because you then replace ADavis with another $1MM player as the final roster spot).

TBH I’m surprised he’s still here but if he’s only going to play on ST again he’s getting cut anyway at $2.7MM; so the only reason he sticks is if he looks much better on the field to the point they think he’s going to be a contributor on defense. Either way his $ is not part of this equation.

Really it’s just Corey Davis’s $10.5MM x 1 year, because there’s little to no chance ADavis’s $ related to a Hopkins type addition.

We haven't had the $ or quite frankly the desire to purchase the Sunday Ticket since who know s when. It has been hard enough to be able to watch the games the way so many of us have had to over the past decade. So the only time I would have had the chance to even know about someone like Hopkins would have been them playing the Jets once every 4 years or so.

Those of us in these types of situations would have to rely on stats or (as in this case) To see the 2022 DeAndre Hopkins season-shortened highlights that he makes these plays and these catches with hands like a first baseman's glove is unbelievable. How could I have missed this guy for so long?

It doesn't look like we will be in on trying to get this guy but man, if we could....

On 5/27/2023 at 5:42 PM, MichaelScott said:

They just traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for what could very likely be a 1 year rental for a QB. Yes that's a high number and he probably isn't worth that. But overpaying for talent is something they have to do at this point. Joe went all in on this year and, to this point, has half-assed upgrading the offense around him. At some point you need to bring in some talent on the offense. I'm not saying it absolutely needs to be Hopkins (he's been pretty clear he doesn't want to play here anyway) but you're going to need to do something drastic for someone. If not, what the heck was the point of trading all that capital for Rodgers?

These are two different things. If he is getting two years 38 million on declinjng production for his 32 and 33 year old seasons....it's a no. That's what I was saying.

If they can find an option to improve the receiver depth chart and get rid of Davis I'm all for it.

This guy isn't worth the contract they are saying he's going to get.

• Upvote 4

Nuk has maybe 1 good year left in him.

He’s perilously close to his age 32 season, which is when statistically, most good WRs fall off a cliff.

Brandon Marshall is classic example of this.

Plenty of guys fall off sooner, and I’m sure there have been some exceptions where guys continue to ball, but age 32 is basically when WRs really show their age and the production plummets.

I’d sign him for 1y incentive-laden to try and win a SB but that’s it.

16 hours ago, Maxman said:

These are two different things. If he is getting two years 38 million on declinjng production for his 32 and 33 year old seasons....it's a no. That's what I was saying.

If they can find an option to improve the receiver depth chart and get rid of Davis I'm all for it.

Okay, my mistake. When they talk about 2 year deals for guys at that age, I usually just assume it gets structured as a one year guaranteed with kind of a 2nd year option. I didn't think he was getting fully guaranteed or anything close. If his contract is anything guaranteed past the 1st year, I would tend to agree with you. 

That being said (as you said, two different subjects), I am growing more concerned every day by the lack of moves on the O to build around the QB position. Last year I think our defense showed superbowl caliber. I don't think the O is remotely close to that and if we don't get some playmakers, even one's on the wrong side of 30, that offense is going to hold us back from making this Rodgers trade worth while. But like you said, two different things. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

Hopkins was far more productive than Corey Davis last year if you look at the per game numbers. He was also more productive the G. Wilson. Still has that big catch radius and super sticky hands.

Tough time of year to be released. Yes teams can make room for him to a certain extent, but cutting players and pushing cap charges into the future is a tougher pill to swallow than using cap space in March.
Especially after the draft. It was a weak class for top 10 talent but 4 guys did go in the first round. 

will be interesting to see how the market develops. I’m sure there have been conversations about dollars, it may come down to teams waiting him out, and it could take a WR injury to give a team urgency to sign him 

Even with cutting Corey Davis the jets really aren’t in the running. They have AR to deal with.  The jets don’t even have room for the rookies rn

IMG_6180.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

what does that have to do with him helping us win a championship? i haven't read it, fwiw.

Not a good kid!!!!!

Tell him if he comes here he can squeeze one out on top of the Lombardi for all I care 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Tough time of year to be released. Yes teams can make room for him to a certain extent, but cutting players and pushing cap charges into the future is a tougher pill to swallow than using cap space in March.
Especially after the draft. It was a weak class for top 10 talent but 4 guys did go in the first round. 

will be interesting to see how the market develops. I’m sure there have been conversations about dollars, it may come down to teams waiting him out, and it could take a WR injury to give a team urgency to sign him 

Even with cutting Corey Davis the jets really aren’t in the running. They have AR to deal with.  The jets don’t even have room for the rookies rn

IMG_6180.jpeg

This doesn’t take into account the Lawson restructure. The Jets currently have ~$18M in cap space.

• Barry McCockinner changed the title to DeAndre Hopkins Released And Then Played Great For the Titans Who Intelligently Signed Him. This is real life, not Madden.