AVT

Analyst Bucky Brooks Places Alijah Vera-Tucker on 2023 NFL All-Breakout Team

Jets' 2021 first-round draft pick poised for banner season after recovering from triceps injury

New York Jets' third-year offensive lineman Alijah Vera-Tucker has flashed elite ability during his short time in the National Football League.

"We think he’s an All-Pro caliber right guard," said head coach Robert Saleh at the NFL Owners' Meetings in late March. "I think he can be a heck of a tackle too, but he is an elite guard — somewhere where we would love to keep him."Vera-Tucker was effective at both guard and tackle last season before injury ended his 2022 campaign in Week 7.Following a Week 5 win over the Miami Dolphins, NFL Network personality Peter Schrager raved about Vera-Tucker on "Good Morning Football."

"You know who their [the Jets'] best player is? Their best player is an offensive lineman named Alijah Vera-Tucker, who they took in the first round," said Schrager. "This guy was dominant yesterday."Fast-forward to the 2023 offseason and Vera-Tucker, who expects to be a full-go in time for training camp, has landed on NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks's All-Breakout Team. Brooks, a second-round draft pick by the Buffalo Bills in 1994, highlighted 11 offensive players (1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 OC, 2 OG, 2 OT) who are "poised for prominence in 2023." 

"These guys have yet to earn All-Pro or Pro Bowl honors, but I'm predicting they could garner serious consideration with their play in the coming campaign," wrote Brooks.Vera-Tucker represented the Jets at one of the two guard spots.

From "2023 NFL All-Breakout Team, Offense":

OG Alijah Vera-Tucker

New York Jets · Age: 23 

The ultra-versatile blocker has displayed all-star potential at offensive guard and offensive tackle. Vera-Tucker has snuffed out elite pass rushers on the edges and bullied defenders in the trenches, showcasing a unique set of skills that are hard to find in trench warriors. With more eyes on the Jets following Aaron Rodgers' arrival, the talented technician should receive the respect and recognition he deserves as a premier offensive lineman. 

— Bucky Brooks

The 6-foot-5 Vera-Tucker, who has 23 NFL starts under his belt, was not spotted on the field at voluntary OTAs on May 31, but he practiced during the May 23 session that was also open to the media."I'm doing good right now with the recovery," said Vera-Tucker in early May. "Doing well, rehab. Feeling great right now, making great progress, should be ready by camp."

Vera-Tucker was ultra-reliable as a rookie. The former USC Trojan took 1,026 offensive snaps in 16 games during the 2021 campaign.

>> https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/analyst-bucky-brooks-places-alijah-vera-tucker-on-2023-nfl-all-breakout-team

Bte3j5P5_normal.jpg

"You don't mention Alijah Vera-Tucker in many conversations in sports talk radio ... but @ALIJAHVT might be the @nyjets' best player." — @PSchrags

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

To be all pro or pro bowl the team needs to stay healthy and he needs to play one spot whatever it may be.

Sir, the title of the article is "All Breakout Team".  There's no rule against AVT being a "Breakout" Guard/Tackle/Tight End/DL/QB.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sir, the title of the article is "All Breakout Team".  There's no rule against AVT being a "Breakout" Guard/Tackle/Tight End/DL/QB.

He will not 'break out; if he is being shifted to RG, then LG then the tackle gets hurt so he goes to RT and then LT when another guys gets hurt.

He is already and excellent players and has been since day one but he will be a well noticed break out guy with all the proper accolades if he can stick to one position.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

He will not 'break out; if he is being shifted to RG, then LG then the tackle gets hurt so he goes to RT and then LT when another guys gets hurt.

He is already and excellent players and has been since day one but he will be a well noticed break out guy with all the proper accolades if he can stick to one position.

All in the eye of the beholder.  If indeed he's asked to move around on the OL and excels at every spot he's asked to play, then yes, I consider that a "breakout performer".  You're making up an arbitrary rule for an arbitrary, non-existent "award".

You're only maybe correct in saying he's unlikely to make a Pro Bowl or an All-Pro team in that instance.  And even then, Muhammad Wilkerson once made both while shifting around to multiple positions on the DL.  And I'm sure there are OL who have made All-Pros and Pro Bowls playing multiple OL spots in the past, too.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All in the eye of the beholder.  If indeed he's asked to move around on the OL and excels at every spot he's asked to play, then yes, I consider that a "breakout performer".  You're making up an arbitrary rule for an arbitrary, non-existent "award".

You're only maybe correct in saying he's unlikely to make a Pro Bowl or an All-Pro team in that instance.  And even then, Muhammad Wilkerson once made both while shifting around to multiple positions on the DL.  And I'm sure there are OL who have made All-Pros and Pro Bowls playing multiple OL spots in the past, too.

Exactly - maybe he wont make all-pro if he gets moved around but he will get recognition.  The Packers just paid Elgton Jenkins $68 million - a player who is essentially AVT.

Jenkins has undoubtedly earned this extension with not only his performance, but his versatility. He entered the NFL as a center for the Bulldogs, switched to guard as a rookie and played quite well. A year later, he earned his first Pro Bowl selection by playing at a number of spots along Green Bay's offensive line, registering 27 or more snaps at left tackle, left guard, center and right tackle, with the majority coming along the interior.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

No, I don't. I don't think that was a common narrative in any way, aside from the usual suspects.

IIRC something like half the board thought it was a mistake taking OG that early.  Non premium position etc.  Others piled on re: moving up to get him.  

I love the player - AVT is an excellent player and may make All-Pro, which is Great.

I hate the fact that JD paid an outargues price for an Interior Offense Lineman, a 1st rd pick and two 3rd round picks, one of which was at the top of the round, all for an Interior Offense Lineman.

With JD being an NFL scout for 13 years I expected him to find a IOL in 3rd round and to use HIGH 1st round picks on potential premium positions - WR, Edge, CB.