jets have 6th Lowest dead cap figure, only 7 players counting

Jets have sixth-lowest dead cap figure, only seven players counting

Billy Riccette - Fri, June 2, 2023

When it comes to the salary cap, one thing teams try to do is compile as little dead money as possible each year, money that is counting against the cap from players that are no longer on the team. Depending on the situation, teams may be willing to eat a lot of dead money. See the Falcons with QB Matt Ryan, the Eagles with QB Carson Wentz and the Cardinals with WR DeAndre Hopkins as recent examples.

The Jets are currently fortunate enough that they are in contending mode and are carrying a small amount of dead money for 2023. Only six former players (plus Hamseh Nasirildeen) are counting against the Jets’ salary cap this season and no one is counting more than $3.3 million. The Jets have $7,947,106 in dead money, per Over the Cap. Only five teams — Bengals, Chargers, Jaguars, Bills, Chiefs — are carrying less.

Yes, the Jets have pushed a lot of salary cap into next season, but with their expectations for 2023, they’re not even close to thinking about 2024 right now.

Here are the seven players on the dead money list for the Jets and how much they are counting.

WR Braxton Berrios - $3,232,500

DE Jacob Martin - $2,310,000

WR Elijah Moore - $1,931,062

RB La'Mical Perine - $186,336

S Jason Pinnock - $135,224

OT Cedric Ogbuehi - $120,000

LB Hamsah Nasirildeen - $103,924

>>  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jets-sixth-lowest-dead-cap-001540685.html

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

We have the best, young gm in the league.  This should not be surprising to anyone.

It will be interesting to see how we can bash zach wilson in this thread.

The best young GM drafted that pure garbage. I also wouldn’t consider fat Joe young. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:
The best young GM drafted that pure garbage. I also wouldn’t consider fat Joe young. 

Did he threaten you as well?

No but do you enjoy blowing him? He’s just wildly overrated here as some great GM. He’s slightly above average, which is fine for this organization after all the incompetence. 

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Great for now. But likely will have a TON of dead money when AR retired after a couple seasons with good years and all.

It’s not totally dead. More like zombie money since it will impact the cap in the future but this team is totally in now so it’s fine. He’s doing well with this cap balancing act so far but we aren’t out of the woods yet. 

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Great for now. But likely will have a TON of dead money when AR retired after a couple seasons with good years and all.

True enough but perhaps the current dead money status was a major part of the reasoning why we could afford AR.  

20 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

No but do you enjoy blowing him? He’s just wildly overrated here as some great GM. He’s slightly above average, which is fine for this organization after all the incompetence. 

He did a ground up rebuild and now has this team as a legit super bowl contender in a few short years.  Slightly above average my ass.

9 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

True enough but perhaps the current dead money status was a major part of the reasoning why we could afford AR.  

Oh I’m totally ok with taking that dead money on for a couple year window to make a SB run.

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

The trend is our friend.

JD has gotten a lot better at the job.

He just followed last year’s epic draft class with acquiring a top 7 QB.  Yes, he missed badly on Zach going for the home run but he pivoted by reading the QB market, selling Rodgers on the Jets and closing the deal.

His bet is that Rodgers is much closer to the 2021 MVP version than the 2022 version and if he’s right, he just bought low now that Rodgers is ‘healthy’, back in the complimentary arms of Hackett, and has found a new #1 WR.

If his assessment is wrong, then we can revisit just how good or bad JD is.

But right now, the guy is on fire.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He did a ground up rebuild and now has this team as a legit super bowl contender in a few short years.  Slightly above average my ass.

Agree to disagree. He’s had many successes and many terrible misses. More good to than bad. The sustainable success model failed and the only reason the Jets are considered a top team is by going “all in” for 1-2 years while some stellar draft picks are cheap.

It’s 100% the right thing to do but in no way is it the sustainable success model and building the right way as you’ve touted. I agree 100% with capitalizing on this window but it’s easy to be a flash in the pan type team when you gut a team, hoard draft capital and cap and then do a 180 and use it all for a short lived window. 

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The trend is our friend.

JD has gotten a lot better at the job.

He just followed last year’s epic draft class with acquiring a top 7 QB.  Yes, he missed badly on Zach going for the home run but he pivoted by reading the QB market, selling Rodgers on the Jets and closing the deal.

His bet is that Rodgers is much closer to the 2021 MVP version than the 2022 version and if he’s right, he just bought low now that Rodgers is ‘healthy’, is reunited with Hackett, and has a #1 WR back in the stable.

If his assessment is wrong, then we can revisit just how good or bad JD is.

But right now, the guy is on fire.

The trend has been a good sign and makes me feel better about the difficult contracts/cap management that is coming up. I’m hopeful he is getting better but I’m still looking at the body of work is all and it’s a mixed bag, which is fine. It just doesn’t make him stellar as some would have you believe. That’s all that I’m saying and @Joe W. Namath was looking for a response like this by instigating haha. What have you done, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Agree to disagree. He’s had many successes and many terrible misses. More good to than bad. The sustainable success model failed and the only reason the Jets are considered a top team is by going “all in” for 1-2 years while some stellar draft picks are cheap.

It’s 100% the right thing to do but in no way is it the sustainable success model and building the right way as you’ve touted. I agree 100% with capitalizing on this window but it’s easy to be a flash in the pan type team when you gut a team, hoard draft capital and cap and then do a 180 and use it all for a short lived window. 

Has he gone all in?  We are in a great cap situation and he hasnt signed any pricey, aging veterans to go win a super bowl.

Outside of no 1st round pick next year, we are in great shape for the future.

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Has he gone all in?  We are in a great cap situation and he hasnt signed any pricey, aging veterans to go win a super bowl.

Outside of no 1st round pick next year, we are in great shape for the future.

Rodgers is an aging veteran but at the most important position. His salary alone and the future cap implications constitutes going “all in”. We will see what happens and it’ll be a fun ride regardless.

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Rodgers is an aging veteran but at the most important position. His salary alone and the future cap implications constitutes going “all in”. We will see what happens and it’ll be a fun ride regardless.

I dont think bringing in 1 guy constitutes going all in.  They didnt overspend on beckim, arent going to overspend on hopkins etc.  Those would be all in moves.

58 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Oh I’m totally ok with taking that dead money on for a couple year window to make a SB run.

agreed ^^       salary cap management is important. very important 😉      so far, imho, our gm has done a pretty good job of it  😎

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

His bet is that Rodgers is much closer to the 2021 MVP version than the 2022 version and if he’s right, he just bought low now that Rodgers is ‘healthy’, back in the complimentary arms of Hackett, and has found a new #1 WR……

along with a familiar #2 WR and a RB room as good (if not better than GB). Depth on the OL & TE and a defense much better than the one he had in GB

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jtomm said:

agreed ^^       salary cap management is important. very important 😉      so far, imho, our gm has done a pretty good job of it  😎

When it will piss me off is if we let good young talent walk or trade them because we can’t afford them. The good news is if everything goes the way I “think” it will… we should be drafting a QB mid rounds next draft and have them under that rookie contract for 4 years. He’ll have a year to sit and learn behind AR likely and hopefully will be ready to go in year 2. Likely won’t be a ton of optimism that year. But we should be able to retain guys like Reed, AVT, MC2, etc.

He is doing ell cap wise some things seem a bit bizarre at times to a non cap guy as when guys get traded and you get a cap hit for it.

In any case, the time to worry about cap will be two yeas from now when Rodgers is gone and we are taking a fat cap hit from him and all our young talent will need to be signed.

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We have the best, young gm in the league.  This should not be surprising to anyone.

Zach Wilson is currently the 6th-highest paid employee on the New York Jets.

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2023 at 5:45 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

I got you dog

Swipe Up Black Man GIF by Black Prez

• Haha 1