Zach struggling at OTAs

Jets take a desperation heave for relevance by trading a first round pick and change plus cough up $100 million for 1/2 years of a 39 year old Quarterback.

Jets fans: OMG the team has so much confidence in Zach's future

• Haha 1

Rosenblatt addressed the issue of his and Hughes’ v. Cimini’s assessment of Zach in the last practice, attributing it mostly to the hysteria of Jets Twitter overreaction. His overall point was that as practice progresses, the drills get ramped up, and they’re sharing their observations of the drills in real time, so Cimini reported on the 11 on 11 walk through stuff where Zach threw it short and looked good, and Rosenblatt’s tweet about the goal line drills—where Zach sucked—drew all the Twitter ire. Bottom line, he says Zach has been inconsistent with his accuracy and is probably taking too long to get through his reads, but the positive is that at least he’s trying to go through his reads. 

1 minute ago, MTJ06 said:

Views

Love, love love this.  Every Jet fan should be thrilled and rooting hard for this kid to improve behind the scenes.  

Mods, can you please change the thread title to: "Zach killing it in OTAs".  Lets do our part to eradicate the disease.

• Upvote 3

On 6/6/2023 at 1:36 PM, Alex G said:

Just a couple of the beat’s tweets from today:

[Connor Hughes] The Zach Wilson red zone period ends without a touchdown. Couple ugly throws in there, including a near INT off a deflection. #Jets

[Zack Rosenblatt] Zach Wilson had a rough go in 7 on 7 red zone drills. 1/4, and a couple of them were way off. #Jets

When does Joe D decide to pull the plug on the idea that Zach can actually be a viable backup this year? He needs to be red shirted as a QB3 who under no circumstances will be in position to see the field this year. I understand the season is cooked if Rodgers is out for any extended period of time but we need somebody who can capably fill in if he were to miss a game or two with a minor injury. Teddy Two Gloves is least capable of completing 5 yard passes to the flats.

It sucks that we even have to talk about this, especially since I figured OTAs would’ve been perfectly set up for a QB like Zach who excels in shorts to succeed.

That decision is to be made next offseason. The path has been chosen. The investment has been made. He gets this year to show if he deserves another year. By all accounts to date, it seems like Rodgers is playing the mentor role. I don’t see it with him, this will likely be a bad pick, but I don’t hate what the jets are doing here. Zach will finally get to sit back and learn. He’s got the physical talent, let’s see if the jets can get the mental aspect down.

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2023 at 3:47 PM, jgb said:

Today I had a 1:1 with my team member in Ljubljana. The topic of the Yugoslav War came up. After the call, I shut down my computer and fired up YouTube on my TV. First suggested video? History of Conflict in the Balkan States.

Tobe Hooper Horror GIF by filmeditor

I was with a group in Ljubljana, Slovenia back in 1995. We were at a bar (that had been converted from an underground bunker) and met a guy who had been in the military special forces. He told us of the 10 day war, how Slovenia faked a sanitation strike and were bringing in ammunition from Austria through garbage trucks.

(P.S.- Slovenia is a beautiful, serene place with majestic mountains and lovely people.) 

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, jetfan40yrs said:

I was with a group in Ljubljana, Slovenia back in 1995. We were at a bar (that had been converted from an underground bunker) and met a guy who had been in the military special forces. He told us of the 10 day war, how Slovenia faked a sanitation strike and were bringing in ammunition from Austria through garbage trucks.

(P.S.- Slovenia is a beautiful, serene place with majestic mountains and lovely people.) 

Agree on all counts and love Ljubljana 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Love, love love this.  Every Jet fan should be thrilled and rooting hard for this kid to improve behind the scenes.  

Mods, can you please change the thread title to: "Zach killing it in OTAs".  Lets do our part to eradicate the disease.

Big props to Rich for trying to fluff the trade value.

On 6/8/2023 at 5:17 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

Wentz, Foles, Teddy

what is JD doing?  This is negligence

What’s the rush to sign any of those guys? Their market heating up tomorrow? 

Jets are installing a new offense. It’s based on Rodgers being their QB all season. They can probably wait until -I don’t know?- halfway thru training camp and still have all of these guys available. Rodgers probably isn’t going to see a ton of action in their first two preseason games. And if they wait longer, QBs that were on rosters will suddenly become available, too. It’s a solvable issue should they feel the need closer to the season. 

The jets instagram just put out a video on Zach.  I’ll try to post it lol.  I watched his footwork. He stumbles a bit , but what continues to bother me about him is he doesn’t point his left foot at the target. It was basically pointed at the guard on a throw to the left sideline. Wasn’t a bad throw but my god Zach. 
I’ve been watching Rodgers feet and it’s textbook most of the time. 
anyone that has coached a kid how to throw, its what, the third thing you teach them?  So frustrating. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Larz said:

Ugh. The footwork is so bad he has to do a little hop to rotate so he can get his shoulders around, so he’s throwing with his feet off the ground. I noticed this last year too. 

New Girl Ugh GIF

That’s not even a drop. It’s just a weird backpedal that makes him gather to throw, which makes everything late. How have they not coached this out of him? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s not even a drop. It’s just a weird backpedal that makes him gather to throw, which makes everything late. How have they not coached this out of him? 

which junior college did you coach QB'ing in? lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s a disconnect between his mind and his feet.  I think we’re at the point where a shock collar might be the last resort lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

The jets instagram just put out a video on Zach.  I’ll try to post it lol.  I watched his footwork. He stumbles a bit , but what continues to bother me about him is he doesn’t point his left foot at the target. It was basically pointed at the guard on a throw to the left sideline. Wasn’t a bad throw but my god Zach. 
I’ve been watching Rodgers feet and it’s textbook most of the time. 
anyone that has coached a kid how to throw, its what, the third thing you teach them?  So frustrating. 

Rodgers was looking off the safety by sheer instinct in that fluff vid of his first pass as a Jet the day after he signed.

Pros versus Joes…

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Can’t coach a minnow to take a bite out of a surfer 

37 minutes ago, jgb said:

Rodgers was looking off the safety by sheer instinct in that fluff vid of his first pass as a Jet the day after he signed.

Pros versus Joes…

So the coaches told ZW, dude on a 3 step drop foot points here and here….and ZW is so dumb he cant repeat the instruction? Or are the coaches incompetent?

4 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

So the coaches told ZW, dude on a 3 step drop foot points here and here….and ZW is so dumb he cant repeat the instruction? Or are the coaches incompetent?

My personal belief, borne out by what I’ve observed, he just doesn’t have a feel for the game. The best laid plans of mice and men come undone when the pressure hits. People tend to revert to their default—whether it be good, or bad… it can be corrected by an overhaul of muscle memory but his bad habits may be as ingrained as the instinct to pull your hand from a hot stove. Much easier said than done.

For the attempt, he needs a full redshirt year. QB2 is a bad move and will end badly if he’s pressed into action.