1st Quarter of Season: Studs, Duds, other groupings

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'd give Mosely more than a Meh, he doesn't flash ever, but he's solid, calls the D and is probably due some credit for changes from the original D game plan in each game that changes slow starts into strong finishes.

Ok, for the tie breaker on Mosley, let’s call in an independent third party.

@Sperm Edwards which bucket do you put Mosley in?

So far, lots of surprises ..  some good, some bad and some agonizing
What would you change or add to the following?
Studs
Breece:  Most explosive, complete RB in the AFC .. possibly NFL (at 85-90% health)
Garrett:  He could easily have 7-8 TDs
Quincy:  Playing like a 1st team All Pro
Huff:  League leading pressure rate.  Sacks will climb with more aggressive man coverage, more leads, and more snaps (which have increased the past 2 games)
Tippmann:  Has not allowed a sack in his 3 starts and is showing up in run blocking.  Name a better rookie OL so far?

Need More
Quinnen:  He’s been very good but not dominant
Sauce:  Has looked slower to react at times in zone.  Lapses as a lazy tackler.  Would like to see him in more man
Reed/CarterII:  Good in coverage but next step is turnovers

Trending Up
Tight Ends:  83% catch rate plus some good blocking
JJ:  Excellent run defender who’s starting to get pressure on the QB
Lazard:  Route running is better than I expected, has also been good in traffic.  Just needs good QB play
Gipson:  Dangerous on special teams.  Has taken Hardman’s role in the Offense.  Do worry about ball security

Trending Down
AVT:  Cannot stay healthy 
Whitehead:  Super strong start to season but some poor tackling and an uninspired effort on Denver’s last TD

Meh
McGovern:  Has shown why his free agent market was weak.  Way too inconsistent 
Tomlinson:  Associated with too many negative plays
Zach:   NE was a disaster.  KC was very promising.  There were some bad And some good things at Denver.  ..  This one might move to the trending up category with a good week against Philly 
JFM:  Disappears for long stretches
Mosley:  Has slowed down and is a sideline to sideline, running down hill liability.   Still a good player in situations but not an everydown player.  Won’t give up huge plays but also doesn’t make big plays

Duds
Brown:  I don’t want to see him start again
Cook:  Should immediately be replaced by Carter as the complimentary back
Lawson:  Comination of the Million Dollar And Invisible Man
Hardman:  Several drops in training camp + some potential behind the scenes issues.  Utter waste of $5M+

Pleasant Surpises
Becton:  Has been only decent in pass pro but starting to heat up big time as a run blocker.  Had his best overall week against Denver, also showing unexpected grit.
Amos:  A net positive contributor as a fill in & 3rd safety

Too Early to Read
Adams, Sherwood
Mosely has consistently stood out as a top 5 guy on the team. Other than that ... Pretty pretty pretty pretty good.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Our 96 million dollar DT is on pace for like 2 sacks, oh i am sure he is doing great in all of the PFF 'almost got theres, almost made good play' stats

i agreed with you. i never wanted to pay him after one good year. i would have waited to see if he could put two good years together.

that being said i wonder if he is getting more attention inside like double teams that would free up the edge guys like Huff and JJ?

i dont know, but if anyone has a double team stat i would like to see it. might make me feel a little better about QW.

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Mosely has consistently stood out as a top 5 guy on the team. Other than that ... Pretty pretty pretty pretty good.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

agreed.

sometimes its good to have a vet even though he might have lost a step or 2. his veteran presence and veteran playcalling has to count for something. who else do we got to trust to do that.? nobody. there all young kids.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Our 96 million dollar DT is on pace for like 2 sacks, oh i am sure he is doing great in all of the PFF 'almost got theres, almost made good play' stats

We need more from him..  a lot more.  That’s where I categorized him.

This isn’t an evaluation of whether he is over or under paid.  He’s a very good football player who takes on double teams, freeing others up.

He has not lived up to a first team All Pro and the 2nd or 3rd highest paid DT.  But that doesn’t mean he’s a bad or average football player.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

We need more from him..  a lot more.  That’s where I categorized him.

This isn’t an evaluation of whether he is over or under paid.  He’s a very good football player who takes on double teams, freeing others up.

He has not lived up to a first team All Pro and the 2nd or 3rd highest paid DT.  But that doesn’t mean he’s a bad or average football player.

yeah but he had to be getting double teamed last year too. thats why i would love if someone could find that stat

1 hour ago, doitny said:

i agreed with you. i never wanted to pay him after one good year. i would have waited to see if he could put two good years together.

that being said i wonder if he is getting more attention inside like double teams that would free up the edge guys like Huff and JJ?

i dont know, but if anyone has a double team stat i would like to see it. might make me feel a little better about QW.

He was doubled a lot last year, that is why you pay a guy the big contract, he produces while being doubled.

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He was doubled a lot last year, that is why you pay a guy the big contract, he produces while being doubled.

Wait, aren’t we saying the same thing.

We agree he isn’t playing like his 1st team All Pro self last year.

We agree he is overpaid vs his current level of play.  We need a lot more from him.

I’m just saying he’s still a very good football player as other coaches would agree; hence the double teams.

Are you saying he is not a very good football player?

I mean debates don’t have to be so black and white, do they?  He can still be a very good football player who is (so far) overpaid and not anywhere near his elite self last year.