Was That The Worst Win In Franchise History?

31 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Jets just won a historically bizarre/classic/wacky jets/giants game that people in NY will remember forever because of how wild the ending was. It’s also an all-time painful regular season loss for the G men. 

it was painful, but definitely not a “bad” win 

Now that I can look at the standings and see a W while being a day removed from having to watch that abomination, it's a lot easier to take.   The dream is still for ZW to get us to the playoffs (or in contention) and then for A-A-Ron to have a miracle return to the field and take it from there.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Biggs said:

On the game thread virtually everyone on the board thought the Jets had no chance to win.  The game was clearly not out of hand at any point in that game.  The Giants rightfully went for a chip shot field goal because they couldn't throw the ball and they felt they couldn't get the yard on a dive play.  They missed.  Pretty unusual but it does happen.  Had they gotten it the Jets could have still won the game.  Unlikely but possible.  

The scenario that played out at the end, an offensive team struggling all game needing a few completions to get into FG position, happens all the time in NFL games.  Defenses relax, give up lots of yards and boom the offense moves the ball.  

This is the NFL.  A league designed for parity and close games that get decided in the last few seconds every week.  The positive take away is when there D relaxed our O stepped up and got it done.  They could have easily failed.  

KC has been winning ugly games all year.  Nobody cares.

Again, ESPN probability algorithm gave the Jets a 1 out of 10,000 chance of winning that game before the Gano miss. Take that for whatever it’s worth — I lean more towards your position that, after watching lot’s of NFL football, the way yesterday unfolded was very unlikely but not 1 in 10,000 unlikely. But, I also think it was more than just “pretty unusual.”

8 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Again, ESPN probability algorithm gave the Jets a 1 out of 10,000 chance of winning that game before the Gano miss. Take that for whatever it’s worth — I lean more towards your position that, after watching lot’s of NFL football, the way yesterday unfolded was very unlikely but not 1 in 10,000 unlikely. But, I also think it was more than just “pretty unusual.”

Obviously the Gano miss really set the table.  I don't know about odds?  At least ancedotally it seems when teams just need a FG to tie or win a game it's amazing how often they get in position to have a legit FG attempt.  When they need a TD ancedotally it seems rare.  

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How do we take away anything positive from that game? I was a ZW supporter going into this game but WTAF was that?!   

That's a pretty good throw, he reverted to some bad habits. And he made me text "Zach Sucks" more than a couple times throughout the game to my son and brothers. But that was a big boy throw in the pocket with a rusher in his face.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

That's a pretty good throw, he reverted to some bad habits. And he made me text "Zach Sucks" more than a couple times throughout the game to my son and brothers. But that was a big boy throw in the pocket with a rusher in his face.

I honestly had optimism about Zach but yesterday was about as ugly as it gets.  It's amazing this team is 4-3.

• Upvote 1

Glad it happened to Giants fans. We have been on the opposite end for lots and lots of games like this. I am still shocked that we actually got the W but maybe the football gods said enough of those Refs throwing BS flags and finally gave us a break.

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I honestly had optimism about Zach but yesterday was about as ugly as it gets.  It's amazing this team is 4-3.

Zach reverted to some bad habits, I can't absolve him of that. Like this.

But when Saleh and Hackett were to forced to open it up he made plays. And didn't get help from his line or WO besides Garrett.

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How do we take away anything positive from that game? I was a ZW supporter going into this game but WTAF was that?!   

not even close - the way the won the game at the end was improbable - they had a 1.1% chance to win when the Giants had the ball. I would say it was the most improbable win they have ever had - not even close to the worst. Didn't they win a 3-0 game against the Redskins years ago? Something like that.

26 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Obviously the Gano miss really set the table.  I don't know about odds?  At least ancedotally it seems when teams just need a FG to tie or win a game it's amazing how often they get in position to have a legit FG attempt.  When they need a TD ancedotally it seems rare.  

I basically agree. I think those probability algorithms get wonky at the extreme ends of the scale — they don’t do a good job of calculating low probabilities. Anecdotally it wasn’t as crazy as the odds would suggest. But short of winning on a kneel down, it was about as long odds as you can get.

9 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Zach reverted to some bad habits, I can't absolve him of that. Like this.

But when Saleh and Hackett were to forced to open it up he made plays. And didn't get help from his line or WO besides Garrett.

I thought Zach was on target on almost every throw aside from the missed layup to Breece. He was just bad at holding on to the ball, etc. If the receivers caught the balls in their hands he has a higher completion percentage and over 300 yards. When he had time to throw he was usually right on target. That throw to Lazard that he dropped near the sideline was under duress and right in the bucket - was amazing. Zach hates pressure up the middle and made some bad decisions when that happened - and it happened a lot because they were on their 3rd string center.

9 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

When you take victory from certain defeat how do you think your opponent feels after doing the opposite. 

I agree with this in the sense that it was an atrocious, all time loss if you're the Giants. Obviously if you're a Giants fan rooting for the tank you're okay with it and a loss like this in a season that's already over doesn't mean as much but yeah, horrific loss for them and I'm glad we gave it to them.

But if Gano makes the field goal and we lose 13-7 -- this is an excruciating loss very similar to last years 10-3 Pats loss.

So yeah, better to steal victory from the jaws of defeat but it's a razor thin margin and from a forward looking standpoint I think we all feel worse about this team than we did two weeks ago.

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

That was 93.  Pete was 94 and the fake spike… which dropped us to 6-6 and we never won another game in THAT season. 

Sorry - I'm conflating my 1990s Jets December collapses... LOL

Coslet was fired after the Jets dropped the last 3 after the 3-0 win in DC.

1994 was even worse - Petey losing the last FIVE

• Haha 1

For years and years the Same Old Jets lose games like this, so when they win it now it makes sense that we're all like "WFT???"

The fact that we lost 2 more OLers and Al Woods makes this win much more morose. That was an awful game to watch until OT.

Anybody who goes "A win is always good" doesn't remember the Broncos game last season.

• Post of the Week 1

Aside from the Breece play, the first 59 minutes were some of the worst minutes of football I've ever seen.

From the missed FG in the final minute till the final play, it was some of the best/most complete Jets football from the coaches and players in all three phases that we've seen in over a decade.

All in - it was a great win, and the win to get us to 4-3 and keep us alive is all that matters.

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I thought Zach was on target on almost every throw aside from the missed layup to Breece. He was just bad at holding on to the ball, etc. If the receivers caught the balls in their hands he has a higher completion percentage and over 300 yards. When he had time to throw he was usually right on target. That throw to Lazard that he dropped near the sideline was under duress and right in the bucket - was amazing. Zach hates pressure up the middle and made some bad decisions when that happened - and it happened a lot because they were on their 3rd string center.

I don't care about his higher completions or yards. I care that they score, yesterday they couldn't score.

Worst game ever to me was in 1992 a 6-3 OT loss at Giants stadium to the Jeff George led Colts.  Nagle was  6 of 16 for just over 100 yards, George was 20 of 40 for just over 200 yards.  
That was easily the worst game I ever sat through
I had season tickets. I drive to my friend's house to pick him up and it was pouring rain. We decided to stay there and watch on TV. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets had no business winning that one but at the end of the season every W weighs the same.

They are all line drives in the box score.

Plenty to be cleaned up. Better to do it after a win.

50 minutes ago, Claymation said:

How about that ref setting the ball, That was a great job on his part.

Real man of genius...mr. football setter ref

Jets had 8 men on the line of scrimmage on that last play (the spike). I think that’s illegal formation. Giants also were off sides. Not sure what happens if both (offsetting) penalties are called in that situation. Is there a runoff?

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

On the game thread virtually everyone on the board thought the Jets had no chance to win.  The game was clearly not out of hand at any point in that game.  The Giants rightfully went for a chip shot field goal because they couldn't throw the ball and they felt they couldn't get the yard on a dive play.  They missed.  Pretty unusual but it does happen.  Had they gotten it the Jets could have still won the game.  Unlikely but possible.  

The scenario that played out at the end, an offensive team struggling all game needing a few completions to get into FG position, happens all the time in NFL games.  Defenses relax, give up lots of yards and boom the offense moves the ball.  

This is the NFL.  A league designed for parity and close games that get decided in the last few seconds every week.  The positive take away is when there D relaxed our O stepped up and got it done.  They could have easily failed.  

KC has been winning ugly games all year.  Nobody cares.

Who was the one person in the game thread that said he believed the Jets would win when the Giants were driving? Before their missed field goal. I forget who that was.  :)