Has a Jets GM had a worse year in the past 30 years or so than Joe Douglas?

Beerfish

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I’m waiting to see what happens this off season. If they can fix the oline by next season and Rodgers is healthy this is a playoff team. 

At this point Mick I really have no faith in Joe Douglas' ability to fix holes in the ...ahem dyke. We waited all spring and summer because we were told that Brown would be back and ready to go at LT and that Becton would be too. The way it's looking to this Jets fan other than hitting on 25% of his draft choices, Douglas isn't the deal maker we thought he would be. Tannenbaum wasn't afraid to sign players and with Rodgers and this defense players should be flocking to the Jets, but no O-line means another top 10 draft choice

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Agreed . Rogers is a breath of fresh air in the bog of eternal stench.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I mean even if he was trash and a liability...it's two 2nd rounders.  I mean.."sold soul" = two 2nd rounders.  What does that mean Seattle sold for Jamal Adams?  Their entire family's soul?  Or the Panthers giving up a 1st overall pick in a better QB class for Bryce Young?  That's gotta be like an entire bloodline of souls.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Missing the point here. It’s a management thing. JD and his staff aren’t us, guys who work full time jobs and then root for the jets when we get home. They do this full time. 9-5 and longer. Without giving up what I do I deal with a lot of risk mitigation. Someone had to ask “ok if rodgers goes down then what?” There literally didn’t seem like there was a plan. Even with Zach, the fact that the offense is incompetent is an organizational indictment. There is no, zero, excuse for how bad this offense is or how flat footed they looked after Rogers injury. Kirk cousins got hurt and the Vikings pivoted right away to save their season. The jets? Just pure incompetence 

What gets lost due to cognitive dissonance with all the JD apologists is the simple fact that if JD had performed his job efficiently in the years prior to 2023, the desperation of trading for Aaron Rodgers would have been completely unnecessary.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, mfmartin said:

It’s all Woody. Do you guys check under the bed to make sure he isn’t under there?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Your point is well taken and many feel the same way. However, I don’t think for one minute that after last season, with a six game losing streak that not only cost a playoff berth but quite possibly the division title that the most important priority for JD and Saleh was to figure out a way to get AR and his $100mm contract out of Green Bay. That screams ownership  all the way.

9 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Yes and No.  The biggest issue is JD deals and signs for Rodgers - cash and picks - and STILL holds on to the Prodigal Son.  Zach was not supposed to be playing this year. He was slated to sitting and learning. Even if Rodgers was injured, JD should have had a back up QB in place BEFORE the season started not named Zach Wilson.  There were tons of options to back Rodgers up.  Zach has been atrocious and although he has played like poop, the blame falls directly on JD for not having a plan B to back up the plan A..   

I'm not sure how much I blame JD for the compensation given up. I think Woody and the NFL forced this trade to happen when it did. Every clip we saw of Rodgers, Saleh, and JD when talking about the trade gave the impression they were willing to wait it out through training camp. IMO Woody and the NFL wanted to maximize revenue from this transaction, forcing JD's hand. 

Again, I agree a backup could and should have been brought in, I just understand the expectation of Rodgers starting every game and gambling on him to do it as he has always done. It was a calculated move that just backfired in the most explosive way possible lol

42 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm not sure how much I blame JD for the compensation given up. I think Woody and the NFL forced this trade to happen when it did. Every clip we saw of Rodgers, Saleh, and JD when talking about the trade gave the impression they were willing to wait it out through training camp. IMO Woody and the NFL wanted to maximize revenue from this transaction, forcing JD's hand. 

Again, I agree a backup could and should have been brought in, I just understand the expectation of Rodgers starting every game and gambling on him to do it as he has always done. It was a calculated move that just backfired in the most explosive way possible lol

JD is, I hate to say, a moron for not getting a qualified vet backup QB and betting on Zach Wilson to develop in that role.  That's my contention but I wasn't thrilled with giving up our #1 - but alas we keep it due to mitigating circumstances. What's equally concerning is the idea to rely on an overaged LT in Brown coming off an injury plagued year. That move resulted in Rodgers getting injured in FOUR plays. That's 9 million a per snap. For all of JD's 'great moves' he has a plethora of really mind boggling ones.  

On 11/9/2023 at 9:51 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, it's far too early too sell the draft class.

As far as the rest of the moves -- he made one really big bet and it crapped out.

The only thing he's done this year that is indefensible is handling of the QB situation post Rodgers' injury which feels like a Woody thing.

But obviously he's had an awful year so far.

I say two: AR and ZW.... not to mention the OL. 

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

JD is, I hate to say, a moron for not getting a qualified vet backup QB and betting on Zach Wilson to develop in that role.  That's my contention but I wasn't thrilled with giving up our #1 - but alas we keep it due to mitigating circumstances. What's equally concerning is the idea to rely on an overaged LT in Brown coming off an injury plagued year. That move resulted in Rodgers getting injured in FOUR plays. That's 9 million a per snap. For all of JD's 'great moves' he has a plethora of really mind boggling ones.  

I think it's fair to be upset about the backup QB, I get the gamble they chose to take. As for OT, JD did offer Orlando Brown, Joe Thuney, and Jack Conklin the most amount to sign here, it ain't for a lack of trying.

Your point is well taken and many feel the same way. However, I don’t think for one minute that after last season, with a six game losing streak that not only cost a playoff berth but quite possibly the division title that the most important priority for JD and Saleh was to figure out a way to get AR and his $100mm contract out of Green Bay. That screams ownership  all the way.

You don’t think upgrading the most important position in sports with one of the ten best players that ever played the sport was one option for the GM and the HC?

Fans: Woody is cheap

Also fans: Woody wanted Rodgers and his enormous contract

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 11/9/2023 at 10:43 AM, Beerfish said:

His draft right now has provided less than the infamous Idzik 13 and his draft priorities were terrible.

He gave up massive draft capital for a player the other team was desperate to get rid of and there was no competition for that players services.

As expected the whole year is all about Rodgers, even in his injury all the stories are about rodgers.

(Got 4 snaps out the player you sold the teams soul for)

He 'improved' the team with the following signings:

Alan Lazard 4 years 11 million a year.  A total dog player so far.

Randall Cobb a guy who was done 2 to 3 years ago, got lots of snaps and provided nothing.

Billy Turner, terrible player here from one reason.  He is a buddy.

Tim Boyle, we have the worst Qb in the league backed up by the worst backup in the league.

Signed Dalvin Cook who has been terrible to a fat contract.

Brought in Nat Hackett a guy not one other team in the league would think about hiring as an oc after the Denver debacle.

Gave Quinnen Williams the biggest DT contract in the league for good 'pass rush win rates' and pff pressures.

His plan A was always Duane Brown at LT

He has utterly failed to do anything in season.  Other teams are picking up QBs that are at least competent, Joe sits on his hands. His big move to help the oline is Roger Saffold, he has done not one thing to bolster the weakest Wr group in the league.

His team 'plan' has just fallen apart this year and he is starting to resemble mike mccagnan level of gming

Highly unpopular opinion around here but I agree. Jets fan love such below average GMs that have literally achieved NOTHING. JD out all the eggs in AR basket and he didn’t even get him an #2 WR. Lazard was trash even in GB. And then drafted Will McDonald over Jigba? That alone should be his downfall. WR2 was a huge need and JSN could’ve solved that even being in the slot. 

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, TBJ said:

Jets Likely to Move on From $18 Million Starter, Ex-1st Round Pick

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/mekhi-becton-move-on-offseason/

Another wasted first round pick?

Do you franchise Huff or Becton? Tough choice. 

Huff is the better player, but the Jets are more equipped to deal with his loss. 

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This OL is such a disaster that you have really no choice but to Franchise Becton.

Huff is gone.

Laken is going to have an $18MM cap hit next year which is crazy. They won’t cut him though because it’s $11MM dead cap hit. My guess is he restructures and is back. However he is 100 percent gone in 2025. 

Pencil in Tippman at Center hopefully. 

Vera Tucker is now a ? But he should be back at RG. I no longer want to see him moved to tackle given his injury history there. That said the Jets should still pick up his fifth year option. Don’t make the same mistake as Becton. OL is a scarce commodity in this league. 

I think in the ideal world the Jets bring back Becton + sign a veteran starting right tackle + draft a first round versatile tackle who can also plug into guard in a pinch in the event of injury or Tomlinson sucking. 

In this league it’s pretty obvious you need 3 starting tackles and you cAn never have enough olineman. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2023 at 12:31 PM, kevinc855 said:

This is pure nonsense. A well run organization like the 49ers were paying Tray Lance alot and moved on.....

You see he doesnt have it and you move on

yeah but they were able to trade him, so it cost them nothing. Zach was and probably still untradeable. you cut him on a rookie QB deal thats a big cap hit for a team going all in for a SB. 

he was staying on this roster no matter what and it wasnt a bad idea.

the bad idea was making him the backup but im not sure they would have spent more to get a decent one with Wilson making 10-15 mil for this year??

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2023 at 11:53 AM, bla bla bla said:

I think people need to get over the Lazard, Cobb, Turner, and Cook signings. Those were the cost of locking in Rodgers to NY.

Our issue is we missed on the Zach pick. Full stop. If you remove QB from the equation, I'm not sure there are 5 other rosters you'd prefer to have. I'd gladly take Jets 2023 roster over any Jets roster I've seen since I started watching.

If the Jags win a game more than us that year, Trevor Lawrence is a Jet and we’d be building a statue for JD. 

I get it, he missed big on Zach. But man, the previous couple of GMs OR relying on Woody to fine the next one. Scary.

On 11/10/2023 at 6:25 AM, bonkertons said:

Stopped reading after "sold the team's soul for Rodgers"....get some air man.

Do you think the following moves were good?

Alan Lazard 4 years at 11 million a year?

Randall Cobb as our starting slot WR?

Billy Turner anywhere on the oline?

Dalvin Cook signed for big dollars?

Tim Boyle as our backup QB?

Nathanial Hackett as our OC?

Moved down in the 1st round so we missed out on the last viable OT in the draft?

Traded a 2nd rounder last draft and another 2nd rounder this coming year?

Paying a QB massive money for not playing?

All of those things are a result of us going after Aaron Rodgers, all of them.

It was not a matter of JUST getting Rodgers, the front office and coaches made a LOT of big moves to the franchise to get Rodgers, so yes they sold their soul to get him and he got hurt after 4 snaps and the team is stuck with all the rest.

Now if Rodgers comes back for a couple more years, plays outstanding and the jets are contenders?  Yeah worth it.

But this was not a one off we got a QB situation and it was a huge gamble with a big possible downside.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

If the Jags win a game more than us that year, Trevor Lawrence is a Jet and we’d be building a statue for JD. 

I get it, he missed big on Zach. But man, the previous couple of GMs OR relying on Woody to fine the next one. Scary.

Yea Mann really screwed us. Turns out none of the QBs after Trevor were worth selecting. I would be willing to let JD draft another QB and let him sit behind Rodgers. I don't think we draft one before round 4 this year though. 

On 11/10/2023 at 9:01 AM, Biggs said:

Joe Douglas made 3 mistakes.  The first one was working for Woody.  Second hiring Saleh.  Third drafting Zach.   Other than those mistakes he has generally put together a roster that can compete without an O that can score points.  

His bread and butter was suppose to be OL guru. He certainly proven to be  bottom of the barrel there. The Will McDonald pick just proves how clueless he is with regard to the O. No hard press for OL. At WR Jaxon smith was available. Moving up there with a team that already had 2 good receivers. One really good 1. He picks WM for depth at position we already had good amount of. 9ers admit their mistake with trey Lance and move on. JD seems hell bent on proving everyone wrong about Zach. It’s becoming pathetic. Rodgers is saving his job that’s for sure. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea Mann really screwed us. Turns out none of the QBs after Trevor were worth selecting. I would be willing to let JD draft another QB and let him sit behind Rodgers. I don't think we draft one before round 4 this year though. 

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

No later than round two. Chase Douglas's fat ass out of the building first,

look what he has done acquiring QBs,  Zach, Morgan, Flacco and the legend of Rodgers.

If he hadn't fallen apart I don't believe Aaron had enough left to compete with the

league's young guns

1 hour ago, doitny said:

yeah but they were able to trade him, so it cost them nothing. Zach was and probably still untradeable. you cut him on a rookie QB deal thats a big cap hit for a team going all in for a SB. 

he was staying on this roster no matter what and it wasnt a bad idea.

the bad idea was making him the backup but im not sure they would have spent more to get a decent one with Wilson making 10-15 mil for this year??

For the price jets are giving Calvin cook, could have got a good backup instead. But JD took for granted Rodgers Ironman history of not missing games. Clueless and refused to admit zach wasn’t a capable number 2. If he had built up a better OL rodgers would be leading jets atop of afc. Instead he put Dwane brown to anchor the OL 🙈No one is surprised he was the one who caused Aaron’s injury.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

No later than round two. Chase Douglas's fat ass out of the building first,

look what he has done acquiring QBs,  Zach, Morgan, Flacco and the legend of Rodgers.

If he hadn't fallen apart I don't believe Aaron had enough left to compete with the

league's young guns

Let's be honest his only real swings were Zach and Rodgers. We only needed Rodgers to play at a top 20 level to be a really tough team to beat. The Jets don't have a 2nd round pick this year, they'd have to make some type of trade to make that happen. I would not scoff at the idea of a QB in round 1 but I'd be very surprised to see it happen.

I really think the most likely picks without doing any draft research appear to be OL and WR in rounds 1 and 3. Switch the order up either way but just how I think it will go.

10 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

His bread and butter was suppose to be OL guru. He certainly proven to be  bottom of the barrel there. The Will McDonald pick just proves how clueless he is with regard to the O. No hard press for OL. At WR Jaxon smith was available. Moving up there with a team that already had 2 good receivers. One really good 1. He picks WM for depth at position we already had good amount of. 9ers admit their mistake with trey Lance and move on. JD seems hell bent on proving everyone wrong about Zach. It’s becoming pathetic. Rodgers is saving his job that’s for sure. 

The receivers  he brought  free agency, Davis, Lazard, Hardman. Drafted

Mims & Moore in the 2nd. Both first round  offensive linemen taken in

the first were mistakes, after over drafting a  fat clown, took a short armed

guard and gave the Brownies two threes which allowed them to draft Darrisaw

a better OT than the fat bum whose weight caused his injuries. Signing

Dalvin Cooked over Elliot, Hunt and Fornette, who at least could have

gotten us a tough yard was costly. Bam Knight will be a more useful

RB than carter

24 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Let's be honest his only real swings were Zach and Rodgers. We only needed Rodgers to play at a top 20 level to be a really tough team to beat. The Jets don't have a 2nd round pick this year, they'd have to make some type of trade to make that happen. I would not scoff at the idea of a QB in round 1 but I'd be very surprised to see it happen.

I really think the most likely picks without doing any draft research appear to be OL and WR in rounds 1 and 3. Switch the order up either way but just how I think it will go.

I think this franchise needs to give up on drafting 1st round qbs lol.. draft a later round, hope it’s a steal. Otherwise groom for backup. Stay with the vet qbs. The O is never going to kid friendly. Need a vet who has good amount of experience. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I think this franchise needs to give up on drafting 1st round qbs lol.. draft a later round, hope it’s a steal. Otherwise groom for backup. Stay with the vet qbs. The O is never going to kid friendly. Need a vet who has good amount of experience. 

I'm definitely of the same opinion. I think 2nd - 4th round QB. Someone with upside but doesn't have world crushing pressure to perform immediately. I think our media, fans, and city just chews up these kids that are used to being the big dog on campus.

9 hours ago, TBJ said:

Jets Likely to Move on From $18 Million Starter, Ex-1st Round Pick

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/mekhi-becton-move-on-offseason/

Another wasted first round pick?

We'll probably have to wait and see what actually happens before we know if it was a "wasted" pick or not. 

If you tag him and he plays well next season then he may get a long-term deal.

If you let him walk you may get another player with a high comp pick depending on how much his new team is paying him which means it may not be a total loss.

If he does stay heathy the rest of the way and they don't retain him it tells us they just don't like his character and/or have concerns the weight issues will return.

• Upvote 1