Tankathon (2023-24 Season Edition)

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Biggest problem is that the jets probably won’t sniff the top 2 tackles with tennessee and the chargers drafting ahead of them.  So what do the jets do, take a decent right tackle or trade back?  

i'll take fuaga. dude hasn't let up a sack in his entire college career and only 5 qb pressures. reminds me of sauce never letting up a td

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Biggest problem is that the jets probably won’t sniff the top 2 tackles with tennessee and the chargers drafting ahead of them.  So what do the jets do, take a decent right tackle or trade back?  

Take the best WR if no OT is worth the pick. FA will happen before the draft and we shouldn't be in a situation where we are locked in on having to pick a particular position.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Question for all you anti-tanking knuckleheads:

Was the thrilling win over Washington worth it? If we had simply lost that game, we’d be in the running for the 3rd overall pick next week. 

Is that guy at #3 going to come in and be the reason we suddenly become a good team?

We've drafted in the top 6 six times in the last ten years. Still not a good football team. One more high pick isn't going to be make or break.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Anti tank, pro tank it does not matter.

The Jets will draft where they draft.

I left a cancer hospital to go to that game. Was the only time I was outside in two weeks. Guess what I cheered for the Jets to win and I was happy. Sorry for being dramatic but this fan on fan stuff is nonsense in my mind.

If you want to root for the draft pick, that is fine. But people rooting for the Jets to win are entitled to do so. LOL, this shouldn't be newsworthy.

i took my 2 nephews to their first game, they were hanging on every throw in the 4th quarter. better believe i was into the jets winning that game. it was a great ******* win!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

i'll take fuaga. dude hasn't let up a sack in his entire college career and only 5 qb pressures. reminds me of sauce never letting up a td

Plus he has the traits to go with it. Not talked about enough. It’s eerily similar to Darnell Wright last year, but his fundamentals/intangibles are superior. 

Really would not be shocked if he winds up the top tackle selected. Floor for me is 3rd

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

Plus he has the traits to go with it. Not talked about enough. It’s eerily similar to Darnell Wright last year, but his fundamentals/intangibles are superior. 

Really would not be shocked if he winds up the top tackle selected. Floor for me is 3rd

ok so here we are fighting over wins and loses and the draft has:

Alt

Fashanu

Latham

Mims

Fauga

to go along with at least 3 QB's in the top 10, at least 1-2 receivers, and likely another EDGE/CB player.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

That's amazing.

I hope it is a stud LT in round one.

AVT back at LG. Tippmann at C and a vet at RT with Carter Warren backing up.

Then you are a new offensive line coach and right guard away from a good line.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Is that guy at #3 going to come in and be the reason we suddenly become a good team?

We've drafted in the top 6 six times in the last ten years. Still not a good football team. One more high pick isn't going to be make or break.

That’s not the point, though.

one of those years, had we tanked properly, we’d have Trevor Lawrence on our roster instead of Zach Wilson. Once you are eliminated from the playoffs, losing is better.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That’s not the point, though.

one of those years, had we tanked properly, we’d have Trevor Lawrence on our roster instead of Zach Wilson. Once you are eliminated from the playoffs, losing is better.

I get the overall argument about draft position - but I keep hearing that we'd have T Law had we dropped those last two games. Then I look at the Jags who are just about going to win the worst division in football by a small margin and I think - how big a deal is that guy really? Would he have come in here and put us over the top? Or would we now be moaning about how the generational wonder child had failed to live up to expectations.

He's thrown fewer TDs than the mighty Sam Howell this year. Tied for 5th in INTs. I know he'd be far better than anything we've seen of late, but that's not difficult.

I know you can point at wins as meaningless - but do individual draft picks honestly move the needle that much? The best teams constantly replenish talent without them, and the teams that pick high always seem to end up picking high again year in and year out.

4 hours ago, football guy said:

I think the lowest we fall is 11, highest possible is 6

I believe the floor is 11 if Minnesota wins tonight.

If Green Bay wins tonight and next week the Jets win, the Falcons lose to the Saints, the Bears lose to the Packers, the Raiders lose to the Broncos, and the Vikings lose to the Lions  then I think the Jets end up at 12.

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I get the overall argument about draft position - but I keep hearing that we'd have T Law had we dropped those last two games. Then I look at the Jags who are just about going to win the worst division in football by a small margin and I think - how big a deal is that guy really? Would he have come in here and put us over the top? Or would we now be moaning about how the generational wonder child had failed to live up to expectations.

He's thrown fewer TDs than the mighty Sam Howell this year. Tied for 5th in INTs. I know he'd be far better than anything we've seen of late, but that's not difficult.

I know you can point at wins as meaningless - but do individual draft picks honestly move the needle that much? The best teams constantly replenish talent without them, and the teams that pick high always seem to end up picking high again year in and year out.

Trevor Lawrence has been nowhere near as good as advertised - this is undeniable. But we’d still be better off today with him instead of Zach Wilson. 

yes, one draft pick is very unlikely to save us by itself, but we still have a terrible habit of missing out on good players in the draft due to meaningless wins in December and January. It’s just frustrating 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, football guy said:

Both Fuaga and Latham are slept on.

This is a great OT class with 4 legit Top 10 worthy picks as things stand right now.

Most are acting like it’s Alt or Fashanu or we’re f*cked.

If the Jets lose to the Pats (which let’s be honest, we will) we might even have the pick of the litter if things break our way.

Maye, Williams and Harrison going Top 3 in whatever order is almost a given.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Trevor Lawrence has been nowhere near as good as advertised - this is undeniable. But we’d still be better off today with him instead of Zach Wilson. 

yes, one draft pick is very unlikely to save us by itself, but we still have a terrible habit of missing out on good players in the draft due to meaningless wins in December and January. It’s just frustrating 

I hear you. But more frustrating - to me anyway - is the guys we had the chance to draft but didn't. 

Mahomes is the obvious one, and yes hindsight is great. Cee Dee Lamb or Justin Jefferson instead of Becton? Sign me up! We needed WR bad that year, but ended up with Big Meal Ticket. Even Wirfs was a better option (with hindsight). 2021 kind of writes itself, any of a number of players would have been better than what we got. At least 2022 was a home run (so far).

And it goes back farther than just JD, obviously. Sam Darnold? Allen and Jackson were both drafted later that same year. 2017 - oof. Adams at 6, the you see Mike Williams at 7, McCaffrey at 8, Mahomes at 10 ... and so on and so on.

High picks are all well and good. But you have to make the RIGHT picks too ... and we seem to suck at that rather more than the law of averages would suggest we should.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

I hear you. But more frustrating - to me anyway - is the guys we had the chance to draft but didn't. 

Mahomes is the obvious one, and yes hindsight is great. Cee Dee Lamb or Justin Jefferson instead of Becton? Sign me up! We needed WR bad that year, but ended up with Big Meal Ticket. Even Wirfs was a better option (with hindsight). 2021 kind of writes itself, any of a number of players would have been better than what we got. At least 2022 was a home run (so far).

And it goes back farther than just JD, obviously. Sam Darnold? Allen and Jackson were both drafted later that same year. 2017 - oof. Adams at 6, the you see Mike Williams at 7, McCaffrey at 8, Mahomes at 10 ... and so on and so on.

High picks are all well and good. But you have to make the RIGHT picks too ... and we seem to suck at that rather more than the law of averages would suggest we should.

For sure. 

there will be future stars available when we pick. Whether we pick them or not is another issue entirely. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This is a great OT class with 4 legit Top 10 worthy picks as things stand right now.

If the Jets lose to the Pats (which let’s be honest, we will) we might even have the pick of the litter if things break our way.

Exactly - seldom are there only X good players and we draft at X+1. Is the margin between Alt / Fashanu and "the next guy" some sort of chasm that dooms us? How will draft boards even look by the time the draft rolls around? Nothing is locked in at this point, we can draft a perfectly good player at 6 or 8 or 10 or 12 ... if we do our homework right. 2024 is not toast because we beat Washington. Nor will it be if we beat NE.

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

For sure. 

there will be future stars available when we pick. Whether we pick them or not is another issue entirely. 

I'm not even convinced that we'll be locked in on drafting a LT in round 1, which seems to be the consensus pick on here (and it's only just turned Jan 1st where I am). It's not Joe D's way of working - nor is it for most GMs. 

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I'm not even convinced that we'll be locked in on drafting a LT in round 1, which seems to be the consensus pick on here (and it's only just turned Jan 1st where I am). It's not Joe D's way of working - nor is it for most GMs. 

The problem is that they need 2 tackles, not 1.  So i don’t see how that first rounder isn’t a tackle when they are set up to get a starting tackle.  

13 minutes ago, jamesr said:

It’s hard to imagine us not taking a tackle in round 1, unless we fall out of the top 10 

36 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yeah I’m not concerned about being in position to select an OL. Unlike last year where there were really only 3 guys you felt comfortable coming in to play right away, there will be at least 5 this year. And I think there is a legimate argument to be made among the top 4 guys. 

What I’m most concerned with identifying what foundational changes need to be made in order to keep our OL healthy, potentially changing the OL coach, and adding enough personnel to rebuild the offensive line in a single offseason. I don’t think it’s possible. 

7 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

ok so here we are fighting over wins and loses and the draft has:

Alt

Fashanu

Latham

Mims

Fauga

to go along with at least 3 QB's in the top 10, at least 1-2 receivers, and likely another EDGE/CB player.

Looks like we picking 8th OR even further back if we beat the Pats and end up 7-10. UGGGH.  But its going to be a very interesting draft with numerous teams needing a QB.  Wash, Pats, maybe Cards if they trade Murray, Raiders, Falcons. Any of these teams behind us in draft position could move to grab a QB.  The top 3 are Caleb, Maye, Daniels who could all be gone by pick 8.  That leaves 5 other blue chip players available.  MHJ, Alt, Fashanau,  Nabers, Turner.  Is there a chance we could still get a tackle?

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

Looks like we picking 8th OR even further back if we beat the Pats and end up 7-10. UGGGH.  But its going to be a very interesting draft with numerous teams needing a QB.  Wash, Pats, maybe Cards if they trade Murray, Raiders, Falcons. Any of these teams behind us in draft position could move to grab a QB.  The top 3 are Caleb, Maye, Daniels who could all be gone by pick 8.  That leaves 5 other blue chip players available.  MHJ, Alt, Fashanau,  Nabers, Turner.  Is there a chance we could still get a tackle?

It’s a great draft to have a top 10 pick. The problem is one player is not going to solve all of this team’s problems

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

My thing with the offensive line is we need to get better at run blocking. Establish the run, play action works, this offense will work. No doubt they need to make corrections with their pass blocking as well, but I think that will be the easier fix. 

For that reason I really don’t care if a guy is drafted to be LT or RT. Look at the impact guys like Wirfs and Sewell have had on their teams. Look at the correlation between Darnell Wright’s progression with their offensive output (specifically rushing offense). If they sign a LT and draft Fuaga to be RT all good by me. 

Fugua is slated to go high teens low 20's. Do you reach for him at 8?  Thats a big reach but serves a much needed position. Or they just take  OT Alabama Height: 6 - 6 | Weight: 305 

Latham is a mountain on the right side of the Alabama offensive line. He is the modernization of the mauling right tackle we all know and love. Aside from his imposing frame and mauling style as a downhill run blocker, he possesses feet that rival many of the uber-athletic left tackles we've seen come through the college ranks recently. With a strong season for the Crimson Tide, Latham could end up battling for the top tackle drafted. - Dalton Miller

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

It’s a great draft to have a top 10 pick. The problem is one player is not going to solve all of this team’s problems

We could have 6 of the top 10 picks and with this horrible coaching staff it wouldn’t matter. You are an insider with great info. The mood inside that building has got to be toxic.

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

No of course not. But its a start to solidify the OL.  JD is not going to be able to sign 3 FA OL guys..  Just not happening.  JD will need to get 2 vets to either take over at the tackle positions and draft a guard or draft a tackle, sign a tackle and sign a guard. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Fugua is slated to go high teens low 20's. Do you reach for him at 8?  Thats a big reach but serves a much needed position. Or they just take  OT Alabama Height: 6 - 6 | Weight: 305 

Latham is a mountain on the right side of the Alabama offensive line. He is the modernization of the mauling right tackle we all know and love. Aside from his imposing frame and mauling style as a downhill run blocker, he possesses feet that rival many of the uber-athletic left tackles we've seen come through the college ranks recently. With a strong season for the Crimson Tide, Latham could end up battling for the top tackle drafted. - Dalton Miller

Draft media slating a player to go somewhere in December has no coorelation with where teams see that player going or where the player will go. What I’m saying is that as draft media becomes more versed with these prospects and what the scouting community is seeing/hearing, they will have him rated higher. 

Perfect example: Darnell Wright was a 3rd round pick last December depending who you were reading. As the process went on he became a consensus top 15 pick. Ultimately went 10th

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Last time we were looking at nice choice of ots.... Wills wet one pick before us and we took becton over wirfs.  Heck Austin Jackson by the fins was a better pick than Becton

Of the ots listed a couple will turn out to be really good and a couple probably lousy, my confidence in douglas picking a good one is low.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Last time we were looking at nice choice of ots.... Wills wet one pick before us and we took becton over wirfs.  Heck Austin Jackson by the fins was a better pick than Becton

Of the ots listed a couple will turn out to be really good and a couple probably lousy, my confidence in douglas picking a good one is low.

I would hope Douglas has learned his lesson and would avoid taking the guy with weight, commitment, and character issues. No need to shoot for the stars- just get the guy with a high floor, high football character, and a track record of being reliable. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

This is exactly what I don't want to hear.

"Reach"

Who the F cares? Our 40 year old HOF qb will die if we don't protect him. Do we all understand that? This isn't a BPA rebuilding year. 

Reach for the 4th best OT. I don't give a sh*t. As long as "OT" appears next to his name.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sammybighead said:

This is exactly what I don't want to hear.

"Reach"

Who the F cares? Our 40 year old HOF qb will die if we don't protect him. Do we all understand that? This isn't a BPA rebuilding year. 

Reach for the 4th best OT. I don't give a sh*t. As long as "OT" appears next to his name.

So dont listen. Easy. 

9 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

JD will fall back to his bread and butter, DL safe pick

• Upvote 1