Robert Saleh Poll

Should Robert Saleh Continue as HC of the NYJ?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Should Robert Saleh Continue as HC of the NYJ?

• He is a slogan dependent pile of hot ignorant about Offense garbage and should be fired immediately
    • He should be fired at the conclusion of the season and only if a better candidate is available (meaning just about anyone)
    • He should be given 1 more season to see if he can win with Rodgers coordinating the offense
    • I'm OK with Robert Saleh and he should remain HC of the NYJ for many, many years

8 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

What if Saleh "wins" with Rodgers as starting QB and de fact OC? How much "winning" does Saleh need to do to keep his job? What happens when Rodgers retires after a season or two? Then we're stuck with the same offensive ignorant HC?  

if Saleh wins with Rodgers then that proves he is a good coach.

who do you want to replace Saleh? the OC in Detroit? well he has a pretty good QB in Goff. do you have any proof he could do anything with Zach? cause thats who Saleh has had for 3 years. 

i willing to bet anyone you want to replace him had a QB. but Saleh had, and this is no Joke look it  up if you like " the worst QB in NFL history to start 20 or more games" guys as bad as Zach dont get that many starts.

thats why its unfair to judge anyone with that kind of QB. thats why is so important to see Saleh and this offense with a real QB.

if he wins with Rodgers he should get a nice extension.

5 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

He’s like every other HC. His team is what the QB is. No QB = poor results. 

At least he’s formed a very good defense. And not like Staley in LA doing nothing with a good QB. 

if we fired Saleh and he went to LAC there going to the SB in 2 years. Saleh turns that defense around with Herbert at QB there going to be dangerous. 

meanwhile we hire a OC/HC but get the QB wrong again and we had a bad offense AND defense.

like you said QB is everything and we have the worst ever.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Hackett hire came from above salehs pay grade as did the Aaron Rodgers trade and the Zach pick 

The job of the HC is to cook the meal, Joe Douglas is supplying spoiled groceries 

In the end?  Yes but make no mistake he was all in and supportive of these moves.  He is also culpable.

56 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Which is guess begs the question do we extend them for a year for appearances? Or can we lame duck them then sign them in season if need be?

Definitely not. 

This franchise has a sordid history of extending people who didn't earn in (e.g., The Sanchize). 

If I were bringing them back, I would be up front with them and tell them that they have to make the playoffs next year to keep their jobs. If they make the playoffs, I would then extend them. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Definitely not. 

This franchise has a sordid history of extending people who didn't earn in (e.g., The Sanchize). 

If I were bringing them back, I would be up front with them and tell them that they have to make the playoffs next year to keep their jobs. If they make the playoffs, I would then extend them. 

This is really the only option.

You mandate them and tell them no excuses. It doesn’t matter if Rodgers goes down in 3 snaps in 2024. Get it done or your out.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Definitely not. 

problem with this is you dont want them making moves out of desperation. with one year left they might really go all in and hurt the future.

example. what if a QB they like is available in rd 3 but they decide that its now or never and pass up on him and dont draft one at all. it could be nice to have one sit behind Rodgers for 2 years instead of waiting until he retires.

thats why i think teams dont let these guys become lame ducks. 

9 hours ago, Hex said:

I want him gone, but not if it means someone worse comes in. Except that's the thing. Can the Jets do that?

The Jets are in a tough spot if they want to make changes.  If they're willing to totally clean house (which includes AR8) then they can do that.  But if they want to half-arse it (e.g. fire some but not all of JD, Saleh, Hackett) then you're saddling the replacements for these guys with others who might not be on the same page (and might want each other fired).  It would make sense (even if these guys don't really deserve it) to run it back 1 more year and then clean house if it doesn't work out. 

8 hours ago, fullblast said:

Literally just described Belichick.

Please.  BB is in the GOAT conversation and deservedly so.  

8 hours ago, JiF said:

As an objective observer of the New York Jets who just truly enjoys conversating w/ their wonderful fanbase, I dont think you have a choice but to roll it back w/ Saleh and see if he can make it work w/ Rodgers.  Not just because Rodgers wants him as the HC but also because, you wont be able to attract a great HC to come play second fiddle to Rodgers till he retires, so you're kind of stuck till this experiment ends. 

Agreed.  It must be nice to have a FQB like you have in Jax.

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Hackett hire came from above salehs pay grade as did the Aaron Rodgers trade and the Zach pick 

The job of the HC is to cook the meal, Joe Douglas is supplying spoiled groceries 

JD gave Saleh plenty of fresh, organic, non-GMO, minimally processed, delicious and nutritious groceries on the defensive side of the ball.  We blindly give a lot of credit to Saleh for the defense but JD supplied him with a LOT to work with.

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Couldnt agree more. The last thing this team needs is for Rodgers to get hurt in a totally meaningless game which, sadly, is all we have left on the schedule. 

I agree but I think AR8 sees how toxic things are becoming and he wants to provide optimism going into next year.  Sort of a sneak preview for how things can look.  I'm not saying I agree with it because it would be a total disaster if he gets hurt again but I understand the thinking.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Great DC??? SF defense didn't miss him one bit.  We are heavily penalized and undisciplined. We have a great D, but credit him? 

He reminds me of REX. No discipline, no offense, Smoke and mirrors. Rex went to Buffalo and their defense got worse.

I don't think that's quite fair to Rex.  Those 1st 2 seasons of Rex were pretty amazing and, in no small part to his coaching.  Beating the Patriots in New England (our last playoff win, btw) was remarkable!  It's true he fell off after that and I agree with you about their defense getting worse when he was in Buffalo.  But it's one thing to win with great players.  It's another thing to be the guy making the defense take a leap forward.  I think he did that his first 2 years with us.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, doitny said:

if we fired Saleh and he went to LAC there going to the SB in 2 years. Saleh turns that defense around with Herbert at QB there going to be dangerous. 

meanwhile we hire a OC/HC but get the QB wrong again and we had a bad offense AND defense.

like you said QB is everything and we have the worst ever.

I disagree. Give Saleh credit for helping Douglas with the roster construction (Quincy Williams for example), but I almost think this unit would be better off with a more aggressive coordinator. 

9 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

What if Saleh "wins" with Rodgers as starting QB and de fact OC? How much "winning" does Saleh need to do to keep his job? What happens when Rodgers retires after a season or two? Then we're stuck with the same offensive ignorant HC?  

Are you assuming Joe Douglas is already let go when deciding the fate on Saleh ? He is definitely the number 1 reason why this team is so bad.

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Jets are in a tough spot if they want to make changes.  If they're willing to totally clean house (which includes AR8) then they can do that.  But if they want to half-arse it (e.g. fire some but not all of JD, Saleh, Hackett) then you're saddling the replacements for these guys with others who might not be on the same page (and might want each other fired).  It would make sense (even if these guys don't really deserve it) to run it back 1 more year and then clean house if it doesn't work out. 

JD gave Saleh plenty of fresh, organic, non-GMO, minimally processed, delicious and nutritious groceries on the defensive side of the ball.  We blindly give a lot of credit to Saleh for the defense but JD supplied him with a LOT to work with.

I agree but I think AR8 sees how toxic things are becoming and he wants to provide optimism going into next year.  Sort of a sneak preview for how things can look.  I'm not saying I agree with it because it would be a total disaster if he gets hurt again but I understand the thinking.

I don't think that's quite fair to Rex.  Those 1st 2 seasons of Rex were pretty amazing and, in no small part to his coaching.  Beating the Patriots in New England (our last playoff win, btw) was remarkable!  It's true he fell off after that and I agree with you about their defense getting worse when he was in Buffalo.  But it's one thing to win with great players.  It's another thing to be the guy making the defense take a leap forward.  I think he did that his first 2 years with us.

Rex was an excellent d coordinator in his prime. He took Manginis 15th ranked defense and made it #1 in the league. Even as the defense got older they always seemed to finish as a top 10 unit. 

I do think his defense started to get exposed towards the end (when he was in Buffalo). He used to put too many big people on the field and teams learned to spread him out and run tempo was a way to neutralize his blitzes. 

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The best player on the defense and the team is a Mac pick 

13 minutes ago, LoraleiFL said:

I disagree. Give Saleh credit for helping Douglas with the roster construction (Quincy Williams for example), but I almost think this unit would be better off with a more aggressive coordinator. 

this defense isnt built to blitz. we would have to change personal and there for change the defense. we put pressure without blitzing. 

its the one thing not broke on this team, i wouldnt mess with it.

2 hours ago, doitny said:

if Saleh wins with Rodgers then that proves he is a good coach.

who do you want to replace Saleh? the OC in Detroit? well he has a pretty good QB in Goff. do you have any proof he could do anything with Zach? cause thats who Saleh has had for 3 years. 

i willing to bet anyone you want to replace him had a QB. but Saleh had, and this is no Joke look it  up if you like " the worst QB in NFL history to start 20 or more games" guys as bad as Zach dont get that many starts.

thats why its unfair to judge anyone with that kind of QB. thats why is so important to see Saleh and this offense with a real QB.

if he wins with Rodgers he should get a nice extension.

By my count, Saleh is 3-10 when someone other than Zach Wilson starts at QB. 

In 2021: One win against Cincy, with losses to Indy, Buffalo, and Miami (1-3). 

In 2022: Two wins against the Browns and Bears, with losses to Baltimore, Cincy, Minnesota, Buffalo, Seattle, and Miami (2-6). 

In 2023 (so far): One loss to Miami (0-1). 

He is 15-30, overall. That means he actually has a significantly lower winning percentage without Zach (3-10) than he does with him (12-20 if you give Zach the win for week 1 when Rodgers actually started the game). 

Saleh blows. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Rex was well below 500 and his entire career here was the beginning of the downfall.  Baltimore wouldn’t hire him.  They hired a position coach instead.  How’s he done? Only 2 of his HC years were above average.   

If Saleh was looking to go to Michigan State, he can forget that. Plus Woody Johnson isn't writing checks totalling $52 million so... Looks like college is in some ways a better job, even with the nightmare of recruiting and now the transfer portal. Saleh's 5 year contract(signed January 2021) is about $5 million per year, no house on campus. 

https://www.outkick.com/michigan-state-gave-football-coach-jonathan-smith-the-bag/

Here's the thing with Saleh: there isn't a coach in the league who would have a winning record with QB play like he's gotten. Yes, there are some HCs who would probably get more out of Zach than we have - the true QB gurus, Reid, McVey, Shanahan - but we didn't hire an offense guy at HC so expecting that of Saleh would be absurd. It's pretty impossible to judge a HC who has never gotten even league-average QB play, and what he and Ulbrich have done with the defense has been remarkable. Would like to see how he does with Rodgers.

46 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

In 2022: Two wins against the Browns and Bears, with losses to Baltimore, Cincy, Minnesota, Buffalo, Seattle, and Miami (2-6). 

He is 15-30, overall. That means he actually has a significantly lower winning percentage without Zach (3-10) than he does with him (12-20 if you give Zach the win for week 1 when Rodgers actually started the game). 

Saleh blows. 

Those "other" QBs have been the corpse of Joe Flacco, Mike White (who got broken in half), Tim Boyle, and Chris Streveler. There isn't a league-average QB among them. Mike White is far and away the best of them.

What record would you expect a coach to have with those QBs?

54 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Saleh blows. 

Joe Flacco, Mike White, Tim Boyle, Josh Johnson, Chris Strevler. 

Im sure the next HC would love to have these QBs leading their offense. 

If I were Woody, I'd march Douglas and Saleh out the door tomorrow. They're both overmatched and have no business being in charge of an NFL team.

Nothing in Woody's history suggests that he would do that, so I would let them both go at the end of the season and wish them both well in their future endeavours. Unfortunately, however, we're pretty much stuck with them both until the end of the Rodgers experiment (for better or worse).

Saleh hangs his hat on the strength of the defence, but the defence is overrated and suspectible to giving up points in bunches. The penalties and the lack of discipline on the defence undermines the claim that the Jets have an elite defence. They simply don't. And that's after a bunch of high draft picks and expensive free agent signings have been thrown at it.

The offence is a cesspool and only growing worse. If Saleh has indeed ceded control and oversight of the offence to his OC, then that reflects badly on him. He doesn't necessarily need to be across every minute detail of what's going on with the offensive side of the ball, but he needs to be holding people to account when things don't go the way they are intended. Apart from Michael Carter getting cut and Lazard getting made inactive last game day, there has been precious little accountability. 

6 hours ago, doitny said:

problem with this is you dont want them making moves out of desperation. with one year left they might really go all in and hurt the future.

example. what if a QB they like is available in rd 3 but they decide that its now or never and pass up on him and dont draft one at all. it could be nice to have one sit behind Rodgers for 2 years instead of waiting until he retires.

thats why i think teams dont let these guys become lame ducks. 

The truth is, assuming this season continues to spiral out of control and we collapse in epic fashion for the second straight year, I'd clean house. That would be my first choice. 

Now, I don't see that actually happening. So, with that said, I get your concern, but if I were forced to bring them back for one more year, I'd challenge them to make the playoffs or GTFO. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I won't. His cheerleading, running the stairs, his slogans and tee shirts all with piss poor results.

No doubt.  As a HC, it just seems like he’s nowhere near the level of the best in the business.  How in the world are we going to win a SB with a coaching staff well below average?  I really don’t believe Aaron Rodgers at 39 yrs old was going to overcome all of this.  

Also, it seems like many of us think no good coaches or GMs want to come to the Jets.  I don’t disagree, but I think if Woody paid them enough, there would be some wanting to come here.  You’d think after 20+ years of being a disaster, Woody would finally suck it up and pay.  He’s getting up there in years so maybe he’ll finally get desperate enough?

Maybe this time we won't demand a 'CEO type' HC who wanders the halls, shaking hands with whoever walks by?

I know we want a HC who coaches the whole team...offense...defense...teams. 

But reality in the NFL says your new HC will come from either O or D. Never both. If we get another D HC, we need a STRONG OC, and vice versa. The coordinator on the other side of the ball is as important as the HC.

Rex/Schottenheimer, Tony Sparano, Mornhinwig, Chan Gailey, Nate Hackett (seems like a new OC every season...poor Nacho!)

Gase/Gregg Williams->Frank Bush (mid season post Raiders debacle)

Saleh/LeFlower, now Hackett.

It's almost like we have a harder time attracting top Coordinators than HCs.

Just out of curiosity, if our next HC is D, who'd be the perfect OC? and vice versa....who'd be a great DC? Problem is, great C's don't last very long, they get hired away as a HC somewhere.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Do you really believe our defense is only good because of Saleh?  We couldn't bring in an outsider who could do just as good of a job (if not better) with this group?

No, we couldn't. So many seasons we couldn't stop a nose bleed. Rex changed that, now JoeD/Saleh. A top Defense is as hard to achieve as a top Offense. You should appreciate what Saleh has done for that side of the ball.

1 minute ago, FootballLove said:

No, we couldn't. So many seasons we couldn't stop a nose bleed. Rex changed that, now JoeD/Saleh. A top Defense is as hard to achieve as a top Offense. You should appreciate what Saleh has done for that side of the ball.

I think Saleh has done a good job with the defense (as has Ulbrich) but both are absolutely replaceable.  There is a ton of talent on this defense.  I believe there are many HC/DC who could do just as good of a job (if not better) with this group.

8 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

I will say it again. The big fallacy here is thinking Saleh gets one year with Rodgers. That is unlikely, at best. The Jets off-season needs to treat Rodgers as a complete non entity. Make NO decision for Rodgers just build the team as it is. NO OL NO QB. Anything else is idiotic.

That would be my preferred way as well.  Though if AR8 is healthy and playing, I honestly wouldn't care if Hackett was our OC because I know AR8 would be our true OC (and I'd be just fine with that).   One thing I don't want AR8 doing, however, is being the GM.  That has been a miserable failure this year.