Who is going to be QB# 2 next year?

Bronx

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Heres an article in the Deseret News out of Utah saying that Saleh told Zach in his meeting with him the Jets will trade him at end of season. https://www.deseret.com/2023/12/8/23992338/sources-new-york-jets-will-trade-zach-wilson-after-the-season-byu-cougars

Lisa is a decent writer. Biased, but decent.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Tyler Huntley as #2  or Ryan Tannehill as #2

#3 guy will be a draft pick such as Cameron Ward, Jordan Travis or Micheal Pratt

If we end up with the #2 pick, JD has to take Caleb or Maye. The pick would reel in a number of picks in a trade back, but you just can’t pass up on the chance to get your QB for the next 10 years. Caleb/Maye could sit a year or two under Rodgers. That’s the ideal scenario. And getting a backup QB next year is a must. Would love to get Tannehill but that’s a stretch. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Heres an article in the Deseret News out of Utah saying that Saleh told Zach in his meeting with him the Jets will trade him at end of season. https://www.deseret.com/2023/12/8/23992338/sources-new-york-jets-will-trade-zach-wilson-after-the-season-byu-cougars

Glazer had the Jets moving on from Wilson last year before Woody stepped in. 

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What will the OL be is the biggest question.

This back up QB discussion is so far overblown it's amazing.  Reality, if you lose your starting QB for the year the team isn't going anywhere.  I don't care who the back up QB is....

Build a proper OL with proper depth at positions.  Stop moving people around - OLmen aren't chess pieces.  

And have more than one weapon on the offense.

Worrying about the back up QB is just a reason to complain about nonsense.

Vinny T was our backup QB heading into 1998. 

All he did that year was lead us to our best season since we won SB III. 

Kurt Warner was the backup for the Rams heading into the 1999 season. After Trent Green got hurt in preseason, all Warner did was have one of the best single seasons for a QB in NFL history on his way to SB MVP. 

The backup QB is one of the most important players on the team, unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Vinny T was our backup QB heading into 1998. 

All he did that year was lead us to our best season since we won SB III. 

Kurt Warner was the backup for the Rams heading into the 1999 season. After Trent Green got hurt in preseason, all Warner did was have one of the best single seasons for a QB in NFL history on his way to SB MVP. 

The backup QB is one of the most important players on the team, unfortunately.

So you're going to two situations in 50 years? on two teams out of countless that have lost back up QB's through the years.

There is no back up QB the Jets could have gotten this year that would have had this team going to the playoffs.  Let alone the Super Bowl.  Tell who that QB would have been?  Then show me the starting record of that QB you're suggesting would have the Jets in the playoffs.  

The problems on the Jets are far beyond the back up QB.  It's far too simplistic to suggest otherwise.  

The back up QB is NOT one of the most important positions on a team.  It is quite far down the list.  

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Who was the back up QB that would have taken the Jets to the playoffs in 2022?  

I just said upthread that Mike White would have done it if he hadn’t gotten hurt

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Who was the back up QB that would have taken the Jets to the playoffs in 2022?  

Who was the back up QB that would have taken to the Jets there this year?

Not sure if there is one given the OL injuries, but we’d have three more wins with…I dunno, take your pick? Brissett, Minshew, Mayfield, Heinecke, Tannehill.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So you're going to two situations in 50 years? on two teams out of countless that have lost back up QB's through the years.

There is no back up QB the Jets could have gotten this year that would have had this team going to the playoffs.  Let alone the Super Bowl.  Tell who that QB would have been?  Then show me the starting record of that QB you're suggesting would have the Jets in the playoffs.  

The problems on the Jets are far beyond the back up QB.  It's far too simplistic to suggest otherwise.  

The back up QB is NOT one of the most important positions on a team.  It is quite far down the list.  

Foles, Hostetler, Warner, Brady, Dilfer, Doug Williams…and these are guys who all won. Plenty of other examples of backups who took teams to the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I just said upthread that Mike White would have done it if he hadn’t gotten hurt

What was Mike White's record as a starter on the Jets?  

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not sure if there is one given the OL injuries, but we’d have three more wins with…I dunno, take your pick? Brissett, Minshew, Mayfield, Heinecke, Tannehill.

So you're suggesting this team would be 7 and 5 right now?- with guys that all have deep losing records as starters in the league? 

I'll pull up all of their W/L records if I had time right now, but I assure you, they're not good.   If very tough to get wins in the NFL and even tougher with back up QB's.  

The truth is, it's nice to blame everything on the back up QB - but this team and organization as a whole is a mess.   Can they upgrade back up QB? Sure...Would be a smart thing to do - but to claim it's one of the most important positions on the team is silly.  Because the reality is it's not.  Quality starting players and staying healthy is iwhat helps you win far more than back up QB's.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Foles, Hostetler, Warner, Brady, Dilfer, Doug Williams…and these are guys who all won. Plenty of other examples of backups who took teams to the playoffs. 

No go count how many starting QB's have been injured through those 50 years....and take the %.

Sure, having a good one is better than having a bad one but...

It's absolutely absurd to claim it's one of the most important positions on the team.  It's not even close...it's very, very far down the list of needs on a team.  

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What was Mike White's record as a starter on the Jets?  

So you're suggesting this team would be 7 and 5 right now?- with guys that all have deep losing records as starters in the league? 

I'll pull up all of their W/L records if I had time right now, but I assure you, they're not good.   If very tough to get wins in the NFL and even tougher with back up QB's.  

The truth is, it's nice to blame everything on the back up QB - but this team and organization as a whole is a mess.   Can they upgrade back up QB? Sure...Would be a smart thing to do - but to claim it's one of the most important positions on the team is silly.  Because the reality is it's not.  Quality starting players and staying healthy is iwhat helps you win far more than back up QB's.

I’m not arguing that White was good, or that the 2023 Jets are good. I’m saying that “if your starting QB gets hurt, you’re not going anywhere” is dumb as hell. I absolutely believe White would have beaten the Lions, Jags, and Dolphins. I also believe that attaching a high-end backup to the third best defense in the league this year would be enough to get us wins against jamokes like the Pats, Raiders, and Falcons.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No go count how many starting QB's have been injured through those 50 years....and take the %.

Sure, having a good one is better than having a bad one but...

It's absolutely absurd to claim it's one of the most important positions on the team.  It's not even close...it's very, very far down the list of needs on a team.  

I just gave you examples of guys winning Super Bowls.5 of them are within the last 30 years. That’s an awfully high percentage to flush a season down the toilet because of the golden boy who can’t play.

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I’m not arguing that White was good, or that the 2023 Jets are good. I’m saying that “if your starting QB gets hurt, you’re not going anywhere” is dumb as hell. I absolutely believe White would have beaten the Lions, Jags, and Dolphins. I also believe that attaching a high-end backup to the third best defense in the league this year would be enough to get us wins against jamokes like the Pats, Raiders, and Falcons.

This is wishful thinking though. 

Mike White did play - with the same defense last year - and the team had an awful record when he started.  

If you'r'e starting QB gets gets knocked out for the season on the 4th play - you're not going anywhere.  Not dumb, reality.  

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is wishful thinking though. 

Mike White did play - with the same defense last year - and the team had an awful record when he started.  

If you'r'e starting QB gets gets knocked out for the season on the 4th play - you're not going anywhere.  Not dumb, reality.  

Trent Green got hurt in preseason and the Rams won the Super Bowl.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Trent Green got hurt in preseason and the Rams won the Super Bowl.

Any time you look to outliers to make a case means you're probably wrong.  

Again, I'm not saying upgrading the back up QB isn't a good idea.  It should be upgraded.  

What I'm saying is the back up QB is NOT one of the most important positions on a team - in fact it's not even close.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Any time you look to outliers to make a case means you're probably wrong.  

Again, I'm not saying upgrading the back up QB isn't a good idea.  It should be upgraded.  

What I'm saying is the back up QB is NOT one of the most important positions on a team - in fact it's not even close.

You just said the seasons over. It’s proven it’s not. 5 times out of 30 isn’t really an outlier anyways. It is over when you give your backup QB preferential treatment when he hasn’t earned it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

If we end up with the #2 pick, JD has to take Caleb or Maye. The pick would reel in a number of picks in a trade back, but you just can’t pass up on the chance to get your QB for the next 10 years. Caleb/Maye could sit a year or two under Rodgers. That’s the ideal scenario. And getting a backup QB next year is a must. Would love to get Tannehill but that’s a stretch. 

We picked zach wilson at #2, we picked darnold at #3 a high pick QB guarantees nothing.

The oline is still weak, other than garret wilson we have nothing at WR.

They are not drafting a QB that high and sitting him to years and failing with rodgers.

Personally I really like both QBs but the jets have put themselves in a situation where they just cant do it.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Lol, there are a LOT more than 2 in 50 years. Doug Williams in 1987? Jeff Hostetler in 1990? Tom Brady in 2001? Chad Pennington in 2002? Nick Foles in 2016? Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015? Minshew this year? That took about 15 seconds of thought. I wonder how many more there have been with varying degrees of success ? 

Do your own your research, but just know that you are denying reality If you don’t think backup QB is hella important. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I’m not arguing that White was good, or that the 2023 Jets are good. I’m saying that “if your starting QB gets hurt, you’re not going anywhere” is dumb as hell

Of course it is. 

I wonder how many backup QBs, either because of injury or a benching, have taken their team to the playoffs in NFL history? The more I think about it, the more examples I come up with. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Lol, there are a LOT more than 2 in 50 years. Doug Williams in 1987? Jeff Hostetler in 1990? Tom Brady in 2001? Chad Pennington in 2002? Nick Foles in 2016? Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015? Minshew this year? That took about 15 seconds of thought. I wonder how many more there have been with varying degrees of success ? 

Do your own your research, but just know that you are denying reality If you don’t think backup QB is hella important. 

You guys having to use Doug Williams to make your point tells the whole story.

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You guys having to use Doug Williams to make your point tells the whole story.

Uhm, I gave you 7 examples in under a minute of thought. 

Let’s put it this way:

To my knowledge, there have been 9 different QBs (Staubach, Bradshaw, Plunkett, Williams, Hostetler, Warner, Dilfer, Brady, and Foles) that have won the SB after starting the year as the backup.

That means 16% of all SuperBowls to date have been won by a backup QB. Now, how many more backups do you think simply got their team to the playoffs? 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Plen T said:

Tannehill is worse than Wilson in 2023

and even worst in 2024

Naw hes had them competetive for years and just needs a new environment. Not going to be pro bowlers available just need a battle tested professional QB in case ARod misses a game. 

I was derided for starting a thread expressing great urgency to upgrade the QB spot right after the Eagles win. We were always going to end up here and waste the season if they stayed with Zach Wilson. I put this here not to gloat, but to mourn an opportunity lost. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I guess they'll keep Hackett around because they are all in with Rodgers for 2024 and they think he works well with Hackett who deserves to be fired. 

You can see the PR machine churning out the pro-Hackett propaganda.

Connor Hughes: I watched the all-22, guys are open everywhere. They just need a QB to hit em!

Yeah? Well, what’s up with the rest of the offense? Why is the run game and blocking historically bad?