Aaron Rodgers was the right move and still is

Jdeet

I cannot believe everyone is now destroying the Aaron Rodgers trade. It makes no sense that Jets fans didn’t want a chance to win. And maybe win a lot. I guess those that wanted us to bring in Carr, Garoppolo, Minshew, or some other jag, think we could have been a competing playoff team? And what happens next year? Those guys are not good. 

As far as Aaron, there was always a risk that he would get hurt or lose a step, but he was our best option. Period. We didn’t have a chance to get Lamar Jackson. That was not ever happening. So, please stop with that. He was never leaving Baltimore. 

We needed to bring in a QB and we brought in a hall of fame QB coming off of 2 MVPs in the last 3 years. How is that a bad move for what turned out to be two 2nd round picks? In retrospect, yeah it sucks he got hurt so quickly and yeah, we should have had a better backup option, but no backup was bringing this team to the playoffs. Our offensive line is so putrid that any QB would have been destroyed. 

I admit I didn’t like Aaron Rodgers, as a person or his personality, at all, before he came here. But he surprised me how much of a team guy he has become. How his players love him and he is a true leader. Yeah some say there is still a selfishness to his attempt to try and comeback quickly. But is that being selfish or is it his desire to help the team win games? Once we were eliminated from the playoffs, he stopped talking about coming back. 

Yeah it sucks he got hurt so quickly. But this guy will be here for at least 2 more years. And no one else we could have acquired would actually give us a chance to be a special team, with the limitations of the talent on offense. Aaron Rodgers was able to work with basically one guy in Davante Adams, in Green Bay, and getting them to compete for the playoffs and their defense was nothing compared to ours. 

I suppose you can not like the person or his beliefs or his weirdness. He was always our best QB option. And still is. We just need to put more guys around him and pray he doesn’t get hurt. But isn’t that what every team hopes for with their star QB?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 8
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 7
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Jdeet said:

I cannot believe everyone is now destroying the Aaron Rodgers trade. It makes no sense that Jets fans didn’t want a chance to win. And maybe win a lot. I guess those that wanted us to bring in Carr, Garoppolo, Minshew, or some other jag, think we could have been a competing playoff team? And what happens next year? Those guys are not good. 

As far as Aaron, there was always a risk that he would get hurt or lose a step, but he was our best option. Period. We didn’t have a chance to get Lamar Jackson. That was not ever happening. So, please stop with that. He was never leaving Baltimore. 

We needed to bring in a QB and we brought in a hall of fame QB coming off of 2 MVPs in the last 3 years. How is that a bad move for what turned out to be two 2nd round picks? In retrospect, yeah it sucks he got hurt so quickly and yeah, we should have had a better backup option, but no backup was bringing this team to the playoffs. Our offensive line is so putrid that any QB would have been destroyed. 

I admit I didn’t like Aaron Rodgers, as a person or his personality, at all, before he came here. But he surprised me how much of a team guy he has become. How his players love him and he is a true leader. Yeah some say there is still a selfishness to his attempt to try and comeback quickly. But is that being selfish or is it his desire to help the team win games? Once we were eliminated from the playoffs, he stopped talking about coming back. 

Yeah it sucks he got hurt so quickly. But this guy will be here for at least 2 more years. And no one else we could have acquired would actually give us a chance to be a special team, with the limitations of the talent on offense. Aaron Rodgers was able to work with basically one guy in Davante Adams, in Green Bay, and getting them to compete for the playoffs and their defense was nothing compared to ours. 

I suppose you can not like the person or his beliefs or his weirdness. He was always our best QB option. And still is. We just need to put more guys around him and pray he doesn’t get hurt. But isn’t that what every team hopes for with their star QB?

Good points.  The jets really needed some serious on field leadership and Rodgers brought a boatload.  And he still has the arm strength to make the throws.  As an added plus it gave the team time to keep helping Zach develop, which is something they didn’t do in his first two seasons.

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Spot on bro. The negative nannies will protest loudly but AR was the correct and best move.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Me and my buddies Stump and Gooch watching the offense score 0.5 TDs per week, but telling ourselves "yeah, but trading for Rodgers means we had a chance to win"

sports.jpg

One more friend and you could have  each claimed an Aaron Rodgers play as your very own. Now stump gets two that greedy bastard. 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Me and my buddies Stump and Gooch watching the offense score 0.5 TDs per week, but telling ourselves "yeah, but trading for Rodgers means we had a chance to win"

sports.jpg

Thanks for the laugh lol. But yes, the most comical hilarious joke of all would be not obtaining rodgers, and having  Joe doughnuts stand up at the podium and declare to the world that the Jets 100% still believe in Zach Wilson and 2023 is going to be his yr and the jets to shine 🤣.

11 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

This was so the WRONG move, as proved by this season. Even if Rodgers was playing he'd surely be killed by now. The OL was never a strength so how can anyone say this was the right move. The correct move was to keep building this team through the draft and FA. The Steelers/Pats trade never takes place and we have ourselves an OT in the first round last year. Next JD has changed his philosophy and one can only attribute that to Woody, which is always a bad thing when he starts meddling into the Football end of the business. Sit in your owners box and keep your mouth shut.

Agreed, this was a move to compensate for JD's inability to draft a decent QB and OT/OG. Once it was done, we all wanted it to work. Unfortunately for all of us, it blew up in his face.  

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Hypothetical - Rodgers plays next season and has a top 5 statistical season and Jets make the playoffs and he says he's playing again in 25'. 

Do we then say, oops my bad, was totally worth it. Or still a dumb trade?

It depends. What are his thoughts on pepto bismol going into 2025?

52 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Hypothetical - Rodgers plays next season and has a top 5 statistical season and Jets make the playoffs and he says he's playing again in 25'. 

Hypothetical.  Jets with Rodgers are 8 and 3 and looking like SB favorites.  Rodgers suffers a severe shoulder injury, hides it from the team and we lose out and don't make the playoffs.

1 hour ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

“ If I had balls I’d be king !!”

- The Queen

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Good post.

On Aarons last appearance on the Pat Macfee show, he talked about the talent on the team and went through our entire defense, naming names, stats, etc. Never heard a QB talk in such detail about the other side of the ball. Was kinda nice to hear, and cements (at least in my sick mind) that Aaron really is a team guy.

And like you, my impression of Aaron Rodgers had totally changed since coming here. Love the guy, quirks and all.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

This was so the WRONG move, as proved by this season. Even if Rodgers was playing he'd surely be killed by now. The OL was never a strength so how can anyone say this was the right move. The correct move was to keep building this team through the draft and FA. The Steelers/Pats trade never takes place and we have ourselves an OT in the first round last year. Next JD has changed his philosophy and one can only attribute that to Woody, which is always a bad thing when he starts meddling into the Football end of the business. Sit in your owners box and keep your mouth shut.

Just because we made the wrong moves in other areas of the team doesn't mean AR was a wrong move

• Upvote 2

It's pretty simple.

No problem with swinging for the fences by trading for Rodgers.

Problem with the amount of draft capital given up (Jets had all the leverage), letting Rodgers dictate what coaches and players are brought in, and restructuring his contract to mortgage the mid to long term future of the team.

In short, the move was fine in principle.  The execution was terrible.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Jdeet said:

It was never ever the right move. It was a horrible franchise crippling move even before the achilles and now it is one of the worst moves an NFL franchise has ever made from many many different standpoints that I went over before the trade even happened.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

sports.jpg

Because dbag JD had many chances to bring in a competent back up QB  but didn’t … 

Agreed.  Had to be made.  In the end the compensation wasn't really a problem either, since no 1st will end up being a part of the trade(I'm sure a lot of the people saying we gave up too much are the same people who were saying "just give them the 15th pick and be done with it" at the time).

If he never plays another snap for us, I'll still say it was the right move.  Same if he gets injured early again next year.  If he gets us to the playoffs even once though in these next 2 seasons, it's a win.  Two 2nd rounders?  No brainer.  Especially considering, even with the Rodgers trade, we had accumulated 11 1st and 2nd round picks from 2020 to 2023.  We could afford to take a swing and he was the perfect guy to swing on.  Not just an elite QB but someone who could change the culture and bring us legitimacy.  Also the perfect guy to develop your Zach replacement under.  I'll pay two 2nds for that all day.  

As far as the other stuff, like letting him dictate personnel decisions, I'll hold off judgement on Hackett until after I see how Rodgers plays under him.  Lazard is the only one that bothers me as far as players go.  Cobb, Turner, these dudes suck but in reality they are one year deals on guys who were supposed to bring us depth and nothing more.  I think harping on these things as "JD failures" is such a reach and annoys me to no end reading about...as if Randall Cobb on a 1 year peanut salary is what killed us this year.  But yes, Lazard sucks and in reality we would have been better off signing someone else or just not signing anyone and drafting JSN.  I get the strategy though if the goal was to entice Rodgers, since back then none of us though ANY star QB would want to play here, especially not one of the GOATs.  

Luckily Lazard will be gone before Garrett is due his raise, and in the meantime his $10M salary shouldn't prevent us from adding a legitimate #2 WR.  It all looks bad now, but the potential positives far outweigh the negatives in regards to compensation and personnel decisions.  A healthy Rodgers makes us a legit contender.  Even this year, even with the sh*t OL and lack of weapons.  Wins against New England, Vegas, and ATL completely changes the narrative right now, and this board is talking playoff race instead of who we should draft with the 7th overall pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Plen T said:

Rodgers was the right move over bums like Carr…

Derek Carr has flaws but at least he is a current nfl player not someone who should have retired two years ago 

Some Fans are in denial about how bad that trade was 

100 million, 2 2nds the trade down which is basically a third Rd all for 4 plays 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Stud left tackle in the draft.  Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman signed as a free agent.  Big time olinemen signed as a free agent.  Aaron Rodgers healthy.  Breece year 2 after the acl.  Top 5 D in the league.

See you in August to talk Super Bowl Jet fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Siemian will be the starter by game 2 next year if Rodgers doesn't retire or get hurt in TC like he did this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1

38 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

It's pretty simple.

No problem with swinging for the fences by trading for Rodgers.

Problem with the amount of draft capital given up (Jets had all the leverage), letting Rodgers dictate what coaches and players are brought in, and restructuring his contract to mortgage the mid to long term future of the team.

In short, the move was fine in principle.  The execution was terrible.

Signing Rodgers as a FA might have been OK. But for the way we did it, the move is among the worst ever by a franchise.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

52 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Good post.

On Aarons last appearance on the Pat Macfee show, he talked about the talent on the team and went through our entire defense, naming names, stats, etc. Never heard a QB talk in such detail about the other side of the ball. Was kinda nice to hear, and cements (at least in my sick mind) that Aaron really is a team guy.

And like you, my impression of Aaron Rodgers had totally changed since coming here. Love the guy, quirks and all.

He didnt talk about Remcens and Netters- ignorant 

• WTF? 1

I forgot to save for retirenment for the last 40 years.  I can fix it by buying a lottery ticket.  Same principle dude.  We spent the entire offseason before the lottery drawing thinking about all the good stuff we could do when the number JD picked gets drawn.  Amazing we didn't even get 1 number right.  

• Upvote 1