Russell Wilson Benched

JetsFanatic

1 hour ago, AbstraKt said:

Man that is wild.  I know the trade was a disaster but what exactly is Sean Peyton planning on accomplishing?  Won’t pick high enough to draft a QB.  Won’t be able to replace Wilson with a vet of any worth.  

Hoping to secure a young rebuildable talent like Fields or Zach Wilson?

I just don’t understand this.  I can’t believe Peyton signed up for this.

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, dbatesman said:

A team benching a player because he wouldn’t give up guarantees in the contract the team offered him is beyond shady. The league should come down on the Broncos like a ton of bricks.

The players Union really should run this up the flagpole.  Sadly the NFL players union has PTSD from the last war.  

Haven't been a big fan of Russ for several years now.  Payton is clearly an A NFL Head Coach.  Payton screaming at Russ on the sideline when this was clearly a business decision makes Payton look like a vindictive horses ass.   Really bad look for what is simply a contract dispute that Denver saddled themselves with.   No reason they can't move on and keep it civil.  I lost a lot of repect for Payton over the way he handled this move.  

RW is basically disliked around the league but it's still a bad look for the Denver organization.

The Jets should take notes on how to move on from an over-the-hill QB with a burdensome contract.

• By cutting him before March 2025, and avoiding him getting hurt (because you can't cut someone who is injured playing football), the Broncos avoid owing Russell $37mm for 2025, but they also take a $50mm cap hit in 2024 while paying him $17mm not to play. 
  • So in 2024, the Broncos are basically Super-Tanking.  They should trade anyone expensive and gather draft picks. 
  • Do the Broncos want Zach Wilson to develop, have on 5th year option in 2025 with upside?  If we absorb some 2024 salary maybe they give us a high 3rd round pick in 2024.  That is better than a low 3rd round (basically 4th round) pick (maybe) in 2025. 
  • Also note that the Broncos are another organization owned by Trust Fund kids.  Note the similarities in competence and results. 

36 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • Also note that the Broncos are another organization owned by Trust Fund kids.  Note the similarities in competence and results. 

The Broncos have made some bad decisions but in the last ten years they've gone to the playoffs three times, the super bowl twice and won one of the big games. The Jets haven't made it to the playoffs once. Peyton Manning wouldn't even talk to the Jets when he was a free agent but was convinced to end his career in Denver. 

The Broncos stumbled after their last playoff appearance because they're searching for the QB and HC like every other unsuccessful team. They thought they had it in Wilson and Payton. While a lot of people saw Wilson as a declining asset at the end of his tenure in Seattle, Payton was considered THE head coach to go get. Making these big bold moves doesn't always work out, as we're seeing this year with Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

The Broncos have made some bad decisions but in the last ten years they've gone to the playoffs three times, the super bowl twice and won one of the big games. The Jets haven't made it to the playoffs once. Peyton Manning wouldn't even talk to the Jets when he was a free agent but was convinced to end his career in Denver. 

The Broncos stumbled after their last playoff appearance because they're searching for the QB and HC like every other unsuccessful team. They thought they had it in Wilson and Payton. While a lot of people saw Wilson as a declining asset at the end of his tenure in Seattle, Payton was considered THE head coach to go get. Making these big bold moves doesn't always work out, as we're seeing this year with Rodgers.

I still think Sean Payton is a good HC.  It was a strange situation he stepped into, considering RW seemed like he might be over the hill.  His numbers look a lot better this year but clearly something is up that they want to move on from him.  Supposedly he's kind of a weirdo.

57 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

The Broncos were successful when they were owned by a long-time NFL family.  

Now they are owned by the second generation Waltons.  Let's see how they do.

I thought a Payton hire could have been good for the Jets, although we are now seeing his corrupted "moral fiber" (just watched "The Girl Next Door" again).   I do think Woody should give Harbaugh the keys and the $ and just reboot everyone.  I don't think he does. 

I doubt that Denver couid be a landing spot for Zach who would come cheap. They could get him for a marginal pick and pay him backup money. Sure he could come around in a new place and more competent CS. It'd be a good landing for him not far geographically from his home area. If playing in NY was a neg for him like with so many other athletes it could mean a start over for a player with talent. Even if he wouldn't be starter could make team as no 2 QB an important position nowadays.  But doubtful Payton wants anything to do with him as I recall he's not a fan of his and has stated it publicly. 

On 12/28/2023 at 3:02 AM, HawkeyeJet said:

Man that is wild.  I know the trade was a disaster but what exactly is Sean Peyton planning on accomplishing?  Won’t pick high enough to draft a QB.  Won’t be able to replace Wilson with a vet of any worth.  

Replace Russell Wilson with Zach Wilson?  You must hate Broncos fans

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I doubt that Denver couid be a landing spot for Zach who would come cheap. They could get him for a marginal pick and pay him backup money. Sure he could come around in a new place and more competent CS. It'd be a good landing for him not far geographically from his home area. If playing in NY was a neg for him like with so many other athletes it could mean a start over for a player with talent. Even if he wouldn't be starter could make team as no 2 QB an important position nowadays.  But doubtful Payton wants anything to do with him as I recall he's not a fan of his and has stated it publicly. 

Recreational Marujuana is legal in Colorado.  Broncos fans are gonna need it after watching Zach stink

• Haha 1

Replace Russell Wilson with Zach Wilson?  You must hate Broncos fans
If anyone is still imagining that Payton is interested in Zach, read the NFL.com article about "What happens next".

Payton was fed up for a long time that Wilson was missing the obvious open receiver (sound familiar?). The rest of the players could see it in film sessions too and discussed it privately (sound familiar?). He had to simplify the offense and things were still running too slow getting plays in and communicated. Wilson was relying on off-script heroics to get the wins (sound familiar?).

Why on earth would he have any interest in Zach given all that? He wasn't sold on being able to "fix" Russell Wilson when he took the job - doing anything with Zach would be 10x harder at a minimum. Sounds like Stidham is much more "his guy". In a way it might be good if Stidham does well these next two games, convince the staff he's the answer moving forward ... then find out next year he's not.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 12/27/2023 at 9:02 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

I believe it’s a contractual situation. If Wilson gets injured he has additional guaranteed money. The Broncos don’t want to take any chances.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

If anyone is still imagining that Payton is interested in Zach, read the NFL.com article about "What happens next".

Payton was fed up for a long time that Wilson was missing the obvious open receiver (sound familiar?). The rest of the players could see it in film sessions too and discussed it privately (sound familiar?). He had to simplify the offense and things were still running too slow getting plays in and communicated. Wilson was relying on off-script heroics to get the wins (sound familiar?).

Why on earth would he have any interest in Zach given all that? He wasn't sold on being able to "fix" Russell Wilson when he took the job - doing anything with Zach would be 10x harder at a minimum. Sounds like Stidham is much more "his guy". In a way it might be good if Stidham does well these next two games, convince the staff he's the answer moving forward ... then find out next year he's not. emoji12.png

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Broncos are going to draft a qb and either sign a veteran bridge qb or stick with stidham like you said.  

I wouldn’t be shocked if not a single nfl team has interest in trading for Zach 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I believe it’s a contractual situation. If Wilson gets injured he has additional guaranteed money. The Broncos don’t want to take any chances.

I get that part.  They are preparing to release him and just eat HUGE dead money penalties.  I can’t see a great path moving forward for constructing that team.