Breer Offers Specifics on Cowherd Interview Regarding Jets GM Being Overruled

Joe Douglas

Earlier today we posted a story about NFL Insider Albert Breer claiming Jets General Manager Joe Douglas wanted to take an offensive lineman in the 2021 draft but was overruled by ownership.  In the interview with Colin Cowherd, the insider didn’t specify which year it was.

With Douglas having taken Mekhi Becton one year earlier we incorrectly concluded that he was referring to the following season when Penei Sewell was on the board and the Jets took Zach Wilson.

Wasn't referencing '21. It was more '22 … Lots of smoke in NFL circles that the Jets loved Ickey Ekwonu leading up to that draft. Worked out for them with Sauce Gardner and Garrett Wilson. But would they have been better off with a left tackle? Fair question.

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) January 1, 2024

The MMQB scribe cleared that in a tweet reply to our story by saying his comments were in reference to the 2022 draft when the Jets had their sights set on Ikem Ekwonu out of NC State.  This would mean Douglas was aiming to add another blue chip tackle in 2022 and Wilson was his pick in 2021.

A big thanks to Breer for seeing the story and offering more specifics on his original comments.

The post Breer Offers Specifics on Cowherd Interview Regarding Jets GM Being Overruled appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Ickey Ekwonu was the pick if Sauce wasn’t there. They loved him. There was certainly heavy debate how they ranked the top 3 players in the draft (Hutchinson being the other guy under consideration), but Douglas wasn’t “overruled”… they made an organizational decision to select Sauce. Same was the deal in 2021, which is why I felt Breer’s wording has been off from jump street.

explain to me how this "organizational decision" works when GM & possibly HC both want player A, but owner wants player B?  Player B is chosen.  In this case, it's apparent that "organizational decision" means the rest of his "organization" obliges the boy pretending to be Commander-in-Chief.

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's so cute how so many of you buy into football guy's self-professed "insider" status, as he portrays himself as in the room and involved with JD and privy to all their thoughts and decision making processes when these decisions are being made.

Seems many of you are lining up to buy a particular NY bridge too.....

🤡

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 3

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Ickey Ekwonu was the pick if Sauce wasn’t there. They loved him. There was certainly heavy debate how they ranked the top 3 players in the draft (Hutchinson being the other guy under consideration), but Douglas wasn’t “overruled”… they made an organizational decision to select Sauce. Same was the deal in 2021, which is why I felt Breer’s wording has been off from jump street.

Draft a shut down corner to play cover two system, sometimes cover 3 lmao Brilliant 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

@football guy is a good poster. He knows the game, and he’s an interesting read.

Why he came here touting himself as an insider, I have no idea. Was it ego? Maybe he was looking to establish credibility?

I wish he realized how dumb it was and played it down or maybe explained it as a misunderstanding but a post like this recent one here makes it obvious that’s not going to happen.

It’s too bad… I don’t blame @Warfish for calling him out, I’ve done the same.

@Warfish I agreed with you here, but let’s not act like football guy is the only one.
I love mogglez and wish he was around more than he’s been lately, but he liked to play insider also. I never bought into his routine when he did it either.
We all give Moggs a pass though because he’s been here so long and he’s such a likable young guy.

6 hours ago, football guy said:

JD’s approach has always been collaborative. They were neck and neck grade wise and ultimately Sauce was 2nd on their board and Ekwonu 3rd. I haven’t heard anything suggesting that Saleh wanted Ekwonu over Sauce personally. I do know positional value (OT > CB) was discussed. It wouldn’t shock me at all if Woody made his opinions felt, but by no means do I believe any notion that he flat out told JD you have to take Sauce over Ekwonu. Again, the 2 guys were neck and neck in the building… even if Woody did give the tipping vote for Sauce, what’s the problem? 

We have so many valid things to complain about as Jet fans. This outcome isn’t one of them

The problem is Woody should have no say.   Just stay out of the fn way.   I don't care if Sauce ended up a good player.   Let your people do their job.   And if they end up being wrong and you right more often than not you replace them.   This bs where the gm always has a fall back because woody voiced his opinion is ridiculous.  

And in todays NFL, drafting philosophy should always defer to offense over defense unless its a generational pass rusher every Fng time.   Not like Macdonald or whatever his name is.  He is obviously  a project.   Offence over defense....

This really shouldnt be this difficult.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, JetNation said:

Joe Douglas

Earlier today we posted a story about NFL Insider Albert Breer claiming Jets General Manager Joe Douglas wanted to take an offensive lineman in the 2021 draft but was overruled by ownership.  In the interview with Colin Cowherd, the insider didn’t specify which year it was.

With Douglas having taken Mekhi Becton one year earlier we incorrectly concluded that he was referring to the following season when Penei Sewell was on the board and the Jets took Zach Wilson.

Wasn't referencing '21. It was more '22 … Lots of smoke in NFL circles that the Jets loved Ickey Ekwonu leading up to that draft. Worked out for them with Sauce Gardner and Garrett Wilson. But would they have been better off with a left tackle? Fair question.

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) January 1, 2024

The MMQB scribe cleared that in a tweet reply to our story by saying his comments were in reference to the 2022 draft when the Jets had their sights set on Ikem Ekwonu out of NC State.  This would mean Douglas was aiming to add another blue chip tackle in 2022 and Wilson was his pick in 2021.

A big thanks to Breer for seeing the story and offering more specifics on his original comments.

The post Breer Offers Specifics on Cowherd Interview Regarding Jets GM Being Overruled appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

Makes more sense but who overruled him?  Saleh?  Either way picking the droy and the oroy isn’t too shabby and it’s hard to say how becton would’ve fared if he wasn’t injured his second season.

• Upvote 1

The problem is Woody should have no say.   Just stay out of the fn way.   I don't care if Sauce ended up a good player.   Let your people do their job.   And if they end up being wrong and you right more often than not you replace them.   This bs where the gm always has a fall back because woody voiced his opinion is ridiculous.  
And in todays NFL, drafting philosophy should always defer to offense over defense unless its a generational pass rusher every Fng time.   Not like Macdonald or whatever his name is.  He is obviously  a project.   Offence over defense....

This really shouldnt be this difficult.
This 100%. In fact, greater than 100%.

Woody should keep out of it, let the football people make the decisions, and be informed of the outcomes.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

explain to me how this "organizational decision" works when GM & possibly HC both want player A, but owner wants player B?  Player B is chosen.  In this case, it's apparent that "organizational decision" means the rest of his "organization" obliges the boy pretending to be Commander-in-Chief.
It probably looks a lot like it did this year in Carolina. Owner wanted A, GM and HC wanted B, they ended up with A. A then goes on to flop in year one so GM and HC get fired.

Carolina will remain mired in mediocrity for years to come as a result of an interfering owner.

• Upvote 2

Woody “having a say” on whether they pick a cb over an OTbis ridiculous.

But the fact that the Jets would have picked Ekwonu if the Texans picked Sauce like they should have is also ridiculous. 

The Jets are doing no real scouting. 

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

This 100%. In fact, greater than 100%.

Woody should keep out of it, let the football people make the decisions, and be informed of the outcomes.

While I tend to agree with this sentiment.  There are times, like this upcoming draft, that he actually should be heavily involved.

This is because JD and Bob are basically on a one year deal - their choices will reflect that thought process.  Woody needs to keep an eye on the long term.

i.e. there's no way they're taking a QB - if there's a good one available. they should absolutely take one.  In a case like this Woody needs to step in and make a call.

With all of that said - this situation is ultimately on Woody because those guys really shouldn't be coming back this year.

• Upvote 1

While I tend to agree with this sentiment.  There are times, like this upcoming draft, that he actually should be heavily involved.
This is because JD and Bob are basically on a one year deal - their choices will reflect that thought process.  Woody needs to keep an eye on the long term.
i.e. there's no way they're taking a QB - if there's a good one available. they should absolutely take one.  In a case like this Woody needs to step in and make a call.
With all of that said - this situation is ultimately on Woody because those guys really shouldn't be coming back this year.
In that case Woody needs some sort of intermediary guy involved who actually knows football - he shouldn't be the one determining direction in the draft. Like you say, if he doesn't trust the guys he has to make the right decisions he shouldn't have those guys in those jobs.

And to be honest - if we're going to clear house next year I'd rather not have a hold over QB being forced on the next GM / HC. Fresh start all round.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, BP said:

Draft a shut down corner to play cover two system, sometimes cover 3 lmao Brilliant 

A nickname and a marketable player carries weight with Woody. Wears #1. Could sell a lot of jerseys. He’s the only guy on the Jets landing commercials.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JustInFudge said:

Guys, I watched a lot of NFL Football this weekend and you know what was glaring to me this week?  Everyone's OL sucks, except the Ravens and occasionally the 49'ers.  Legit, everyone that you fawn over on this board and bitch and cry and moan that the Jets didnt draft or sign, sucks and you would curse them to the high heavens if they were on this team.

Did anyone watch the Panthers vs. Jags game?  Ikey sucks.  He's a turnstile.  The Jags hit Young like 10 times, they gave up 5 sacks between Josh Allen and Travon Walker.   And while the Jags were ok, their OL sucked too giving up 3 sacks and a bunch of hits on Bethard. Even the great Sewell for the Lions.  Now he wasnt a turnstile giving free run at Goff but he was getting pushed around all game long, getting pushed into Goff's lap and while they only gave up 1 sack, Goff was hit like 10 times and forced him into a bunch of bad throws and picks and they could not run the ball to his side at all.  

As I specifically watched both games and noticed, all of these OL's are not great by any means, the biggest difference in those games was Goff getting the ball out a littler faster and the Lions having a more dependent run game.  Then throw in the other games I watched and this was consistent across the board.  Teams w/ good QB, amazingly had good OL play.  Teams w/ bad QB's, well, guess what?  

I understand that that I'm using this week as observation but this is consistent around the league, year wide.  This is why retired greats have knocked the level of play around the league.  It's not the skills positions, those are arguably the best we've ever seen.  We have really good to great QB play all around the league.  The one common denominator?  OL play sucks and the way you work around it, is you either have an offense w/ weapons and a QB who can overcome it or you dont, bottom line.  Now, I'm not trying to say the Jets shouldnt focus on OL.  They should.  They need to better players to protect the QB and run block but IMO, this is a league wide issue not exclusive to the Jets and I think w/ better QB play and health, we'd probably feel a lot different about the guys currently on the roster. 

Which leads me back to my point I've been making for a few years now, OL play is down across the board and injures are up!   This isnt exclusive to the Jets (though injuries do seem way up on this  team).  I think the days of dominate OL's are probably over, there are very few "elite, HOF" type of players in the league.  You're not seeing Tackles going in the top 5 anymore.  They go around 10-12 range.  You're seeing more OL hit the FA market then ever before.  Teams win w/ inadequate blocking, all the time and they do it w/ great weapons and great QB play.  

Which leads me to this conclusion; the OL is actually the easiest unit to fill in the entire NFL.  OL, specifically T,  is the most drafted position, year in year out.  You dont have to prioritize all your top end resources to build a successful OL.  You need adequate players, w/ a QB who knows how to read a D/make adjustments at the LOS and most importantly, get the ball out on time.   This is more important to OL play, then, having to have probowlers all across the OL.

Watching games all year from all teams and I think the biggest takeaway is that it shouldn't be this hard to run the ball at a decent rate. As you stated OL's all over the league have injuries or just are't that great but they're serviceable. It is kind of insane how poorly our OL has been. Our QBs have certainly needed to get the ball a lot sooner, but for me the biggest issue is how poor the run game has been. 

I attribute this to coaching and I agree with you that we should be able to upgrade the OL to at least serviceable in one offseason...but that's only going to happen if we change the way we coach / train the OL.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Guys, I watched a lot of NFL Football this weekend and you know what was glaring to me this week?  Everyone's OL sucks, except the Ravens and occasionally the 49'ers.  Legit, everyone that you fawn over on this board and bitch and cry and moan that the Jets didnt draft or sign, sucks and you would curse them to the high heavens if they were on this team.

Did anyone watch the Panthers vs. Jags game?  Ikey sucks.  He's a turnstile.  The Jags hit Young like 10 times, they gave up 5 sacks between Josh Allen and Travon Walker.   And while the Jags were ok, their OL sucked too giving up 3 sacks and a bunch of hits on Bethard. Even the great Sewell for the Lions.  Now he wasnt a turnstile giving free run at Goff but he was getting pushed around all game long, getting pushed into Goff's lap and while they only gave up 1 sack, Goff was hit like 10 times and forced him into a bunch of bad throws and picks and they could not run the ball to his side at all.  

As I specifically watched both games and noticed, all of these OL's are not great by any means, the biggest difference in those games was Goff getting the ball out a littler faster and the Lions having a more dependent run game.  Then throw in the other games I watched and this was consistent across the board.  Teams w/ good QB, amazingly had good OL play.  Teams w/ bad QB's, well, guess what?  

I understand that that I'm using this week as observation but this is consistent around the league, year wide.  This is why retired greats have knocked the level of play around the league.  It's not the skills positions, those are arguably the best we've ever seen.  We have really good to great QB play all around the league.  The one common denominator?  OL play sucks and the way you work around it, is you either have an offense w/ weapons and a QB who can overcome it or you dont, bottom line.  Now, I'm not trying to say the Jets shouldnt focus on OL.  They should.  They need to better players to protect the QB and run block but IMO, this is a league wide issue not exclusive to the Jets and I think w/ better QB play and health, we'd probably feel a lot different about the guys currently on the roster. 

Which leads me back to my point I've been making for a few years now, OL play is down across the board and injures are up!   This isnt exclusive to the Jets (though injuries do seem way up on this  team).  I think the days of dominate OL's are probably over, there are very few "elite, HOF" type of players in the league.  You're not seeing Tackles going in the top 5 anymore.  They go around 10-12 range.  You're seeing more OL hit the FA market then ever before.  Teams win w/ inadequate blocking, all the time and they do it w/ great weapons and great QB play.  

Which leads me to this conclusion; the OL is actually the easiest unit to fill in the entire NFL.  OL, specifically T,  is the most drafted position, year in year out.  You dont have to prioritize all your top end resources to build a successful OL.  You need adequate players, w/ a QB who knows how to read a D/make adjustments at the LOS and most importantly, get the ball out on time.   This is more important to OL play, then, having to have probowlers all across the OL.

Not a coincidence that the protection and running game got much better since Simien came in.

25 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Watching games all year from all teams and I think the biggest takeaway is that it shouldn't be this hard to run the ball at a decent rate. As you stated OL's all over the league have injuries or just are't that great but they're serviceable. It is kind of insane how poorly our OL has been. Our QBs have certainly needed to get the ball a lot sooner, but for me the biggest issue is how poor the run game has been. 

I attribute this to coaching and I agree with you that we should be able to upgrade the OL to at least serviceable in one offseason...but that's only going to happen if we change the way we coach / train the OL.

Well, fwiw, Siemian has started 2 straight games and the offense managed to run for over 100 yards in back to back games.  Compare that prior to him starting, the Jets went 8 games w/ only 1 game over 100 yards rushing and that 1 game was vs. the Raiders and it was only because Zach had 54 rushing yards on scrambles while Hall and Cook combined for 46 yards rushing on 17 carries.   And mind you, the line was healthier during that stretch then it is right now.   Some would say, this example just proves my point.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So if you don't trust the people you hired to make the picks then they should be replaced. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Well, fwiw, Siemian has started 2 straight games and the offense managed to run for over 100 yards in back to back games.  Compare that prior to him starting, the Jets went 8 games w/ only 1 game over 100 yards rushing and that 1 game was vs. the Raiders and it was only because Zach had 54 rushing yards on scrambles while Hall and Cook combined for 46 yards rushing on 17 carries.   And mind you, the line was healthier during that stretch then it is right now.   Some would say, this example just proves my point.  

If this is a Zach Wilson sucks post, then I agree ! lol. But I think the OL still has some serious issues with how they're being coached, because it goes beyond just this year. The offense that Saleh wants is predicated on the run game....the pass game opens up as a result (play action, etc).

If that is supposed to be your bread and butter you should have at least been able to establish a running identity in Year 3 regardless. But that has not been in the case and largely in part due to the fact that Saleh doesn't know how to coach it (i.e. ensure that his OC and OL coaches are doing the right thing). I can't hire and fire mechanics because I don't know sh*t about cars.

• Upvote 2

i don’ t think the colleges are preparing OL for the NFL, other than places like Michigan where they get the joke.  

Basically, a good portion of the PS should be OL, and they need a real coach and trainer developing them.   QB same thing.  For NFL teams to be successful in the long term, they need a pipeline and player development program. 

The Jets are ok at that for LB and DB.  Not so much for offense.  

The Jets overall organization needs to be restructured from top to bottom.  Woody needs to spend more resources on player coaching, development, training and support.   And the scouts have to do their jobs, and the assistant coaches have to scout players like the Eagles do.  Most of the real scouting by the Eagles gets done by the assistant coaches.  The scouting people do the analytics to figure out who to scout.  

i have no doubt that the BPA where the Jets pick will be a QB, but if they really think AR8 is playing for 2 more years, they can’t take one.  A QB taken in round 1 has to be at least QB2.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, BP said:

Seems to be nothing really to see here. If by some small chance Woody overruled JD and Saleh to take Sauce over Icky then Woody is a rain man football savant that we never realized because he drafted possibly the best corner in the league, whereas Icky has kind of sucked in the pros hahaha.

Yes, I know that this is not the case, but if anything it proves even further that there is nothing to see here other than exaggeration. But the real question is WHY is Breer even saying this?....

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Ekwonu has committed 12 penalties and allowed 10 sacks in 2023

Bryce Young is running for his life every week out there

So, if true, this serves as yet another reminder that Joe Douglas is an idiot who has no clue how to scout OL talent 

It just reinforces how much of a crapshoot the draft is . If you looked at any teams draft boards you'll find high rated guys that failed and vice versa, Its always easy to criticize in hindsight that they should have picked player X but most wouldn't have said that pre-draft .

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1