Backup qbs

Last night we watched baker in the playoffs have a great game - there were a bunch of viable back ups that played well this season that Joe could have signed off the street that would have been great contingency plans for the Jets but Joe showed his total incompetence again leaving us with absolute trash at the position 

Is Joe going to ignore the position again for next year again depending on old qb that literally only lasted a few snaps this season ?

In Joe I don’t trust 

• Upvote 2

Listen. We all know that Joe D messed up big by relying Zach as a backup and passing on signing one of the higher profile backups available in FA. I think its also VERY fair to argue he relied too much on the health of the O-line starters and did not solidify the depth with quality backups on the O-line. 

I can't exactly blame him for some other things that a lot of posters have piled on top of him (like bringing in players that Rodgers likes and Hack to make sure we have a high quality vet starter at the QB position - it was a roll of the dice and Rodgers got hurt). 

So - YES, clearly Joe D needs to bring in a viable backup QB. Clearly he needs to rebuild/retool/reinforce/improve (whatever you want to call it) the O-line. Clearly one of those big FA signing who was supposed to work so well with AR (Lazard) was a whiff, so JD needs to bring in another weapon for AR.   

These are his top priorities for the offseason and we have been and will be talking about them ad nauseum. 

To me, one of the most obvious and realistic options is Tyrod Taylor. I think a lot of the backup QBs that are doing well as starters will want bigger money and will want an opportunity to start. Not play behind 'the great Aaron Rodgers' and only hope to get playing time if he gets hurt. Taylor is a quintessential backup and savvy vet who will not cost much and can still command an offense and get it done with his legs in emergencies. 

All of our other resources should go to O-line, WR and retaining some critical Defensive FAs.

*Note: Huff should be tagged and traded so we can recoup our 2nd round pick and AGAIN add talent on the offensive side of the ball. 

IN JOE D I TRUST.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

*Note: Huff should be tagged and traded so we can recoup our 2nd round pick and AGAIN add talent on the offensive side of the ball. 

If I'm JD, Huff is a goner.  He's going to need that money to sign FA's on offense.  This whole pipeline argument goes out the window when everyone is in survival mode...

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

Last night we watched baker in the playoffs have a great game - there were a bunch of viable back ups that played well this season that Joe could have signed off the street that would have been great contingency plans for the Jets but Joe showed his total incompetence again leaving us with absolute trash at the position 

Is Joe going to ignore the position again for next year again depending on old qb that literally only lasted a few snaps this season ?

In Joe I don’t trust 

obviously douglas should've gone for a better back up when rodgers went down.  but there are other factors at play such as the money and whether or not the qb is a one year rental. i suspect a guy like wentz would've been more agreeable to joining the jets if he knew there was a good shot at being the starter in a season or two.  and the same logic can apply to zach being the back up before the season started.  but in hindsight, no qb would've been able to succeed behind that oline and receiver group.  it took a while to get breece fully engaged as a pass receiver and guys like lazard just weren't as good as they demonstrated on their previous teams.  so the jets were in a pickle to play zach and see where it leads or bring in someone else and fail equally bad.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

If I'm JD, Huff is a goner.  He's going to need that money to sign FA's on offense.  This whole pipeline argument goes out the window when everyone is in survival mode...

You can draft a Guard or WR in Rd. 2 who can make an immediate impact. A draft pick you would otherwise not have if you did not trade Huff in a tag and trade. Tippman was drafted in Rd. 2 and became our starting C. He also played some significant time at G. 

Maybe you go hard after Tyron Smith and hope he does not get hurt. Then take Fuaga in Rd. 1 and slide him in at RT. I dunno. Its an option. Fuaga is a plug and play RT IMO.   

Or maybe you use that 2nd round pick to move up and secure Alt. Who knows! Letting huff walk when you can tag and trade him seems silly. Plenty of teams will want him. The Jets could def. use him if there are no takers (there will be), he is still their best pass rusher. And they have a variety of other avenues they can pursue to free up cap - if they chose to do so.  

41 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Brissett is a lock. Mark it down.

I thought this would be great. It made a ton of sense in a trade scenario when AR first went down. But I just don't see Brisette wanting to sign with the Jets to sit behind AR. He will want to go somewhere where he will have a chance to start. And for the Jets - he will probably want more money than the Jets are willing to give. JMHO. As much as I want a guy like Brissette be our QB2, I think its a bad fit for both parties involved.  

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

@Jet Nut Mariotta 1000x better than the crap JD ‘s been dragging in and drafting. 

True, but also, he sucks. 

The list should look something like this: 

1. Winston
  2. Tannehill
  3. Darnold (why not)
  4. Brisset
  5. Taylor
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

1. Winston
  2. Tannehill
  3. Darnold (why not)
  4. Brisset
  5. Taylor

I'd add in Drew Lock in place of Darnold just because I doubt he'd come back here lol. 

But there's def a solid pool of FA back-up QBs. They should be able to fill that hole with someone solid. But yeah....Jets.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

1. Winston
  2. Tannehill
  3. Darnold (why not)
  4. Brisset
  5. Taylor
6 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I'd add in Drew Lock in place of Darnold just because I doubt he'd come back here lol. 

But there's def a solid pool of FA back-up QBs. They should be able to fill that hole with someone solid. But yeah....Jets.

Good list. For the most part, you know what you're getting from the QBs on that list. 

Lock is different in a good way. I feel like we could get him for cheaper than the others, and I think he's still a bit unknown with upside potential. He could actually benefit from being around Rodgers and would be able to incorporate some of those learnings into being a better QB than we've seen from him so far. I'm not projecting a quality starter, but he could be one of the best backups in the league for a long term and we could sign him for pretty cheap. 

In Joe I don’t trust 

I can't believe this hasn't been brought up before. Good work!
  • Haha 1

By all means, look to bring in the best available back up. But the reality is, if and when your starter goes down for any significant time, your Superbowl window is over for that season. 

That's the reality facing Cleveland after their blow out loss at the weekend, despite having the no. 1 defense in the league and a Coach of The Year contender. The Jets realized this, as did Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Minnesota. 

46 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Brissett, Browning, Mullens. Tannehill is washed. Browning you could sell on taking over if you overpay a bit. Mullens is instant offense.

Didn't think of Browning. That's a good idea if he's willing to come over here.

4 hours ago, PepPep said:

We'll see what happens, but I still think this is pretty unrealistic.

If they tag Huff at $23MM+ then no one's forking over a 2nd round pick for him. If tagged then as likely as not the Jets won't get any pick for him at all in any round, seeing how that figure would be the baseline for any extension and no one's paying Huff that much after playing only situationally to keep him fresh and to keep teams from running right at him. 

He's not getting tagged because the most likely outcome is no one's going to give up a pick for him at that price, and it'd then be a nightmare to have a backup/situational player making 1st team all pro starter money and further can't be lessened via void years. 

Get used to the idea that they're just going to let him go and take a comp pick in return next year. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

There are a number of choices. Sam Howell has been mentioned trading him to Jets for Zach and a pick. I like Tyrod. And maybe draft a QB as developmental 3rd string. 

I would take Sam Howell all day long

Kid is a baller and simply needs good coaching - which of course the Jets simply can't do but I would still love to have him backup rodgers and compete 1-2 years out

2 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I know, i don't expect Darnold to be here... but also, it's kind of predicated on things like "oh he can't go back there, he was selected in the first and it didn't work out..." so, psychologically there's some hurdles for everyone to jump - but at this point, the fck does it matter? He's a viable back up with starter experience, he's won games. I'm not against Drew, but he was a scattershot in college and it hasn't changed a lick in the NFL... it's possible he is a viable for a 3-4 game stretch, but below the names on that list. Tannehill>Lock for sure.

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Good list. For the most part, you know what you're getting from the QBs on that list. 

Lock is different in a good way. I feel like we could get him for cheaper than the others, and I think he's still a bit unknown with upside potential. He could actually benefit from being around Rodgers and would be able to incorporate some of those learnings into being a better QB than we've seen from him so far. I'm not projecting a quality starter, but he could be one of the best backups in the league for a long term and we could sign him for pretty cheap. 

3 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Lock is decent and played ok when Geno was injured. With starting experience. And he's a FA in 2024. He made 4 mil on his Seattle contract this past year. 

• This team is all in AR8 for 1-2 years.  We can’t spend real resources on a backup QB.  If we need a backup QB for more than 4 games or so, its over.
  • Siemian won games. Honestly, I would roll back with Siemian and Rypien.  Let them learn the offense and be ready to step in.
  • Rather than spend $5mm on a backup QB, invest in OL.  This team needs 9 starting OL on the roster.  Invest in better trainers and strength and Conditioning people.  And turf.  But it is not worth it to me to invest in a backup QB, this year.  
  • In the 4th round and below look for a developmental QB that can beat out Rypien.   Whoever loses out goes on the PS. 
  • Yes, Flacco still got Cleveland to the playoffs,  They still got killed.  There will always be the opportunity to pick up a Flacco early in the season/before the trade deadline.   That is where JD screwed up here.  

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

I would take Sam Howell all day long

Kid is a baller and simply needs good coaching - which of course the Jets simply can't do but I would still love to have him backup rodgers and compete 1-2 years out

Meh. He’s baker minus the hype and in a tougher division 

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

@Jet Nut Mariotta 1000x better than the crap JD ‘s been dragging in and drafting. 

Has nothing to do with it, hes crap compared to most to what’s available out there.  He can do better than Mariotta.
Everyone had that crap he drafted 2nd behind TL, happens