Dave Canales to Panthers

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think they had no choice but to gamble.  Tepper's instability scared a lot of candidates off I believe.  Also the fact that you have to really believe Bryce Young is your guy because you're saddled with him for the foreseeable future. 

Agreed. I think the volatility of the job and the fact that the mandate is basically "save Bryce Young's career" makes it a pretty limiting opportunity unless you're a big believer in Young.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

WRONG

Tepper earned his billions on his own. He has some insight on how to build success.

Woody was handed everything he has and is. Never worked, never needed to, never learned from failure, never learned from success. He's as incompetent a human being as you can be.

I'm not sure that matters.

Tepper may be a brilliant hedge fund manager but that doesn't necessarily translate to running a football operation -- he has yet to return a winning season since he bought the team which is a much worse start to his ownership tenure than Woody.

More impressive person than Woody? Clearly. Not sure there's a shred of evidence he's a better NFL owner.

• Upvote 1

Meh. This board roasted the Detroit Head Coach hire a few years ago and that has turned out to be a fantastic move in hiring Campbell

True, but that was more the opening press conference than anything else.

Temper is Absolutely a worse owner. Tried calling play’s during a game, and this is the 6th coach in 6 years and 

Landing Reich was, initially, a move in the right direction. But the owner couldn’t stay away. He drifted into the draft evaluation process, stumping up for Young ahead of Stroud or Anthony Richardson. He joined film room sessions with the staff, critiquing play calls. They were not, according to Reich, “fun meetings”. Tepper put another draft pick on the table before the recent trade deadline, encouraging GM Scott Fitterer to acquire a wide receiver – like, say, DJ Moore. When those microwave meals fell short, Tepper did what he does best: he fired someone

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyLV said:

Meh. This board roasted the Detroit Head Coach hire a few years ago and that has turned out to be a fantastic move in hiring Campbell

It's amazing just how often the majority of this board and the group speak/sheeple it produces is wrong.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not sure that matters.

Tepper may be a brilliant hedge fund manager but that doesn't necessarily translate to running a football operation -- he has yet to return a winning season since he bought the team which is a much worse start to his ownership tenure than Woody.

More impressive person than Woody? Clearly. Not sure there's a shred of evidence he's a better NFL owner.

Tepper doesn't hold the current streak for most consecutive years without a playoff appearance in the 4 major American sports. That's a Woody accomplishment. 

Tepper is showing that he has a genuine desire to win. He holds people accountable. By those measures alone, he is heads and shoulders above the idiot Johnson. You can argue about the methods all you want, but recognizing that things aren't working and making changes to TRY to correct it are the first step in any process. Woody is too stupid to even get to Step 1.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Let's check back in three years and compare him and Saleh's records for first three years.  Shall we?
If the Jets canned Saleh and hired this guy, this place would be in full meltdown mode. He may very well turn out to be a good coach but he's the exact kind of hire that would send most Jets fans here to the nearest bridge.
  • Upvote 2

Tepper doesn't hold the current streak for most consecutive years without a playoff appearance in the 4 major American sports. That's a Woody accomplishment. 
Tepper is showing that he has a genuine desire to win. He holds people accountable. By those measures alone, he is heads and shoulders above the idiot Johnson. You can argue about the methods all you want, but recognizing that things aren't working and making changes to TRY to correct it are the first step in any process. Woody is too stupid to even get to Step 1.
He's the ******* guy that picked Bryce Young over Stroud! Holy sh*t, this place.

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:
3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

He's the ******* guy that picked Bryce Young over Stroud! Holy sh*t, this place.

Holy sh*t indeed. And we selected Zack and Sam. What’s your point? I’ll take the volatile, hold people accountable type, 99/100. Talk to me in 10 years.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:
7 hours ago, The Crusher said:
Let's check back in three years and compare him and Saleh's records for first three years.  Shall we?

If the Jets canned Saleh and hired this guy, this place would be in full meltdown mode. He may very well turn out to be a good coach but he's the exact kind of hire that would send most Jets fans here to the nearest bridge.

Yeah, this is the nonsense that makes me miss @SAR I avatar of Jets first time coordinator to head coach disasters. 

Holy sh*t indeed. And we selected Zack and Sam. What’s your point? I’ll take the volatile, hold people accountable type, 99/100. Talk to me in 10 years.
We selected Zach AFTER the best QB was taken. The Panthers could have picked Stroud but the owner talked them into Young. Big difference.

7 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I don't think this is a bad move. He's a good OC. There could be worse. 

Agreed.

The Panthers need to develop Young, and this guy’s resume says he might be able to do it. He makes more sense for them right now than a Vrabel type HC… a young offensive mind who will try to implement a scheme for their young QB.

27 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

We selected Zach AFTER the best QB was taken. The Panthers could have picked Stroud but the owner talked them into Young. Big difference.

I’m glad this makes you feel better.

7 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

Nope, call me in 10 years if the Panther's don't make the playoffs.

BTW, I will take the under on that bet. 

Woody is the worst owner in the NFL.

No, Tepper is and its not even close

Let me know when Woody pours drinks on fans and fires 2 coaches in mid season 2 years in a row

a huge contingent of Charlotte fans have stopped rooting for them

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, sciond said:

No, Tepper is and its not even close

Let me know when Woody pours drinks on fans and fires 2 coaches in mid season 2 years in a row

a huge contingent of Charlotte fans have stopped rooting for them

We disagree.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Tepper doesn't hold the streak, but he's chasing it.

In the five years before Tepper bought the Panthers:

• They were 51-28-1
  • They had 4 playoff appearances in 5 years
  • The won the NFC Championship and appeared in the Super Bowl in 2015
  • They advanced at least to the divisional round three times

In the six years since Tepper bought the Panthers:

• They are 31-68
  • 0 playoff appearances
  • 7 Head Coaches

You argue Tepper has displayed he "has a genuine desire to win" but I'd argue he's equally displayed that he's an impatient meddlesome buffoon whose first six years as an owner are substantially worse than Woody Johnson's.

20 hours ago, chirorob said:

He weeps tears of joy he isn't going to that dumpster fire.

Perhaps but the Panthers have been to 2 SB's and countless playoff games since Woody has owned the Jets.   

Tepper is a different animal but the Jets look up at the Panthers since Woody's ownership.

EDIT:  @UntouchableCrew said it much better than I could. Didn't see his post.^^^^

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Perhaps but the Panthers have been to 2 SB's and countless playoff games since Woody has owned the Jets.   

Tepper is a different animal but the Jets look up at the Panthers since Woody's ownership.

EDIT:  @UntouchableCrew said it much better than I could. Didn't see his post.^^^^

Panthers pre Tepper were a MUCH better franchise.

He is the new Snyder, or worse.

Woody is a dumb ass.   There's no joy in saying, "32 teams!!   There is an owner worse than ours!"

11 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Panthers pre Tepper were a MUCH better franchise.

He is the new Snyder, or worse.

Woody is a dumb ass.   There's no joy in saying, "32 teams!!   There is an owner worse than ours!"

Tepper is not worse yet for certain but the smart money says he will be.  Very surprising actually. A smart businessman making such poor decisions.

16 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Tepper is not worse yet for certain but the smart money says he will be.  Very surprising actually. A smart businessman making such poor decisions.

Yeah, when Tepper first bought the team and hired Rhule I was jealous. He seemed like he was going to be good.

Now he's one of the few owners who genuinely seems worse than Woody to me.

• Upvote 1

The path to an NFL head coaching job could not be clearer.

1 of 2 pathways.  Dudes who can manage both (Matt LaFleur) are a lock to get hired.

1) Get a job as an NFL OC and playcaller and do a halfway decent job, especially with a middle of the road or down bad QB.  All it takes is one year.

2) Have any coaching association whatsoever to Sean McVay

If you are an offensive minded coach these days, it’s much easier.  Just have 1 good year on your resume and coaches will be convinced you could the next McVay.

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Just about every Panthers fan I know thinks he is a tool and stopped supporting them. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, sciond said:

Just about every Panthers fan I know thinks he is a tool and stopped supporting them. 

agreed... but doesn't mean he is worse than dickhead Woody, Woody has accomplished zero., Tepper has accomplished much.  He is solely responsible for bringing MLS here.  But yes, he looks like he can't stop meddling.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

agreed... but doesn't mean he is worse than dickhead Woody, Woody has accomplished zero., Tepper has accomplished much.  He is solely responsible for bringing MLS here.  But yes, he looks like he can't stop meddling.  

All true...

I can't get past the drink pouring thing....

• Upvote 1

Yikes !

Tony Pauline from the shrine game practices 

On Friday, the Carolina Panthers fired offensive line coach James Campen, who had been with the team since 2022. The team’s offensive line struggled and could not protect Bryce Young, the first pick of the 2023 NFL Draft. Many of Carolina’s blockers have not met expectations. I’m also told Campen made a few enemies within the organization, as he was the eyes and ears for owner David Tepper in the locker room. In fact, sources at Shrine practice Saturday told me that Tepper had more than a few people in the locker room who would report back to him on the goings on, which destroyed team chemistry.