ESPN, Fox, Warner Bros. to Launch Sports Streaming Platform

ESPN, Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery announced plans on Tuesday to launch a sports streaming platform in the fall that will include offerings from at least 15 networks and all four major professional sports leagues. A one-stop app to view most sports should be a welcome sight for fans, who continue to navigate rising costs by subscribing to multiple services. Kevin Krim, the president and CEO of the ad measurement firm EDO, compared the three companies teaming up for sports to what some networks did when Hulu started in 2008. "My sense is knowing the cast of characters, they're looking at the original Hulu concept and thinking, 'Well, that worked out really well for us.' So let's do that again. But for live sports streaming," he said. The three companies will each share one-third ownership in the joint venture. A name for the service and pricing will be announced at a later date.

"This new sports service exemplifies our ability as an industry to drive innovation and provide consumers with more choice, enjoyment and value and we're thrilled to deliver it to sports fans," Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav said in a statement.

The platform will include games from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, WNBA, NASCAR and college sports, including the men's and women's NCAA tournament, as well as golf, tennis and the FIFA World Cup. It will include offerings from 15 linear networks: ESPN, ESPN+, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPNEWS, ABC, Fox, FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, TNT, TBS, truTV. Subscribers would also have the ability to bundle the product with Disney+, Hulu and/or Max.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/39472710/espn-fox-warner-bros-launch-sports-streaming-platform

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Someone should just package all these random streaming services into one service I can watch all of them for a reasonable price.  Could revolutionize TV, really.

It’s called iptv. I pay 50 $ for the year and get every channel imaginable . NFL ticket, nhl ticket, mlb, hbo, showtime, starz, Cinemax, ppv boxing & ufc etc. they even have streaming movies and series from Netflix, Amazon, Disney. I haven’t had cable the last 7 years.  

not exactly street legal (for the provider) but works great and saves me a ton of money lol

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

It’s called iptv. I pay 50 $ for the year and get every channel imaginable . NFL ticket, nhl ticket, mlb, hbo, showtime, starz, Cinemax, ppv boxing & ufc etc. they even have streaming movies and series from Netflix, Amazon, Disney. I haven’t had cable the last 7 years.  

not exactly street legal (for the provider) but works great and saves me a ton of money lol

Well I was joking actually .  It’s called cable.  It used to be great.  Then it cost $700.

But yes, that sounds excellent 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

How hard is this to set up? Been thinking about trying it out. Need a vpn I’m guesssing too? 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm a bit confused about all of this because excepting MSG you already get all those things with a Hulu live bundle. I guess if they are throwing in Max for a few bucks more it's worth it.

Well they might be doing this to control the pricing. That Hulu live bundle could be getting boxed out.

--------------------------------------------

People who like watching others get boxed out also upgraded to our NBA bundle.

9 hours ago, BurntDice said:

How hard is this to set up? Been thinking about trying it out. Need a vpn I’m guesssing too? 

Pretty easy. If using a Firestick you just have to enable third party apps, and then install the downloader app.

Whichever service you end up using will send you a link that you have to type into the downloader app and then it downloads lol. 

VPN is recommended but I don’t use one.

11 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Been using an IpTV service for about 8 years now. A complete game changer, haven't had cable since. I don't watch much television but I get all of the NBA and NFL games I want. 

Only thing is as you said it's not really legal for the providers so sometimes they go out of business and you're forced to find a different company. Some companies are better than other, some services buffer really bad because they don't have the proper bandwidth in their servers. Also the channels are streamed on delay (part of how they get around FCC violations) so if you're watching games while talking to buddies in a group chat like I do, you're gonna be 2-3 minutes behind them in the game. 

All in all it's a great deal for me as someone who really only watches TV for sports. I'll never go back to cable. It's good to find a few companies on standby in case 1 of them is seized which happens often in that world.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah but does the local teams get blacked out?

Thats the issue.

I literally need cable/verizon just to watch the Rangers and Mets.

Same time, MSG and YES are combining too. All these companies are starting to see streaming platforms have to be very broad for anyone to buy it. And the expenses are better shared. They're bleeding $ right now. They assumed everyone was gonna cord cut and buy in; not so fast. Not sure how all that works under antitrust laws. Basically we're gonna be back to your cable sports package in a different wrapping but almost certainly more expensive for consumers. 

So much good could have come from the move to streaming. Before all this, I was hoping for the ability customize what I pay for. Ie only want to watch Jets game or only want to watch afce games.

What we have is a cluster ****.

I watch less football now. And half the games I watched last season were my local team and it was on satellite. I’m back to the 90’s.

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Someone should just package all these random streaming services into one service I can watch all of them for a reasonable price.  Could revolutionize TV, really.

That's.... that's called "Cable"? 😆 

13 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

• Firestick

• VPN

• Kodi

image.thumb.png.2ad8d97be2fb332bc95d256707e6438c.png

Kodi is a bit outdated at this point.....

Most of the best streaming apps all use APKs now which you can download through the downloader app or filelinked....

Kodi is a bit clunky for streaming, but I remember the days where jailbreaking a firestick and using kodi was the way to go LOL

As the younger generations enter the market, these cable companies are not acquiring new customers like they used to. Im in my late 30's and I'd say most of my friends don't have a cable provider anymore. These companies need to adapt or die. Just another step into these large companies adapting to the times.

Most of the best streaming apps all use APKs now which you can download through the downloader app or filelinked....
Kodi is a bit clunky for streaming, but I remember the days where jailbreaking a firestick and using kodi was the way to go LOL
You realize that installing an APK from a nefarious source is likely to cost you your identity if it's installed on any device or network that has any of your personal info on it..... Choose wisely my friend.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah but does the local teams get blacked out?

Thats the issue.

I literally need cable/verizon just to watch the Rangers and Mets.

You no longer need cable to watch the Knicks/Rangers/MSG Network. MSG has it's own app (MSG+) that you can watch on your TV (via Roku, FireStick etc) for $30/month. I'm using it now.

22 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

You realize that installing an APK from a nefarious source is likely to cost you your identity if it's installed on any device or network that has any of your personal info on it..... Choose wisely my friend.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I use a VPN and don't have personal stuff on the device I installed it on.....hope that helps a lil 

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, extmenace said:

As the younger generations enter the market, these cable companies are not acquiring new customers like they used to. Im in my late 30's and I'd say most of my friends don't have a cable provider anymore. These companies need to adapt or die. Just another step into these large companies adapting to the times.

One of the TV providers here in CT (Frontier) is exiting TV service completely. They are now pushing high speed internet (via fiber if available) with a YouTube TV subscription.

The only 100% streaming service that I know of that offers all 3 NY RSNs (MSG, SNY, YES) is DirectTV Stream (without a satellite dish). Fubo offers SNY & MSG. I think YouTube TV has SNY and YES.

I like the new MSG a la carte app for $30/month because I can cancel it after basketball regular season

41 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

You no longer need cable to watch the Knicks/Rangers/MSG Network. MSG has it's own app (MSG+) that you can watch on your TV (via Roku, FireStick etc) for $30/month. I'm using it now.

$30 a month for MSG eh. What a deal. LOL

It's not but I can opt out in the offseason. It's actually working out better for me since I was paying $90/month to Fubo to get it and SNY
But what do you use for the rest of your TV needs/local channels? I use FUBO over YTTV because I wanted MSG and SNY. I'm SOL with TNT though. I can't ditch FUBO without losing the rest of my TV service. I watch more than just MSG.

2 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Thanks for this! So games / shows / movies stream better quality and no issues with APKs? I haven't really had many issues with Kodi but I am curious at the benefits of APKs

19 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:
It's not but I can opt out in the offseason. It's actually working out better for me since I was paying $90/month to Fubo to get it and SNY

But what do you use for the rest of your TV needs/local channels? I use FUBO over YTTV because I wanted MSG and SNY. I'm SOL with TNT though. I can't ditch FUBO without losing the rest of my TV service. I watch more than just MSG.

I was in the same situation. I almost went 100% with FUBO but not having TNT/TBS, YES and a few other channels I like caused me not to

I ended up switching to Comcast which ended up being cheaper than my previous provider (Frontier) and had SNY & YES plus all local and most channels I wanted. I just needed MSG (which Comcast doesn't carry). The a la carte MSG+ came along and I went with that (along with Comcast cable and internet) for $30/month for basketball season.

Another reason I went to Comcast is they gave me NY local channels and some CT local (not all). Streaming services (YTTV, FUBO and DirectTV) are location/zip code specific so I was only able to get NY local with them (and not the CT network affiliates).

It took quite a bit of research to figure out which combo of packages were going to get me what I wanted.

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

$30 a months is steep just to watch about 7-9 games during a 7 month span.  Then I still need SNY for the Mets.

I watch nothing else on either channel.

I could honestly do without the Mets if I have to but not the Rangers.

They got all of us by the balls.

I was in the same situation. I almost went 100% with FUBO but not having TNT/TBS, YES and a few other channels I like caused me not to
I ended up switching to Comcast which ended up being cheaper than my previous provider (Frontier) and had SNY & YES plus all local and most channels I wanted. I just needed MSG (which Comcast doesn't carry). The a la carte MSG+ came along and I went with that (along with Comcast cable and internet) for $30/month for basketball season.
Another reason I went to Comcast is they gave me NY local channels and some CT local (not all). Streaming services (YTTV, FUBO and DirectTV) are location/zip code specific so I was only able to get NY local with them (and not the CT network affiliates).
It took quite a bit of research to figure out which combo of packages were going to get me what I wanted.
I'm in New Milford and I get most CT local channels. Honestly I wish I didn't. When the Pats play the same times as the Jets I have to use Sunday ticket to get the game.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

$30 a months is steep just to watch about 7-9 games during a 7 month span.  Then I still need SNY for the Mets.

I watch nothing else on either channel.

I could honestly do without the Mets if I have to but not the Rangers.

They got all of us by the balls.

I actually watch that many games (7-9) per month (just Knicks) plus the occasional Rangers game.

It was pay the $30/month or pay for another streaming service (FUBO or DirectTV Stream) that was still missing other channels that I wanted and then try to get those a la carte.

It has become a mess

32 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'm in New Milford and I get most CT local channels. Honestly I wish I didn't. When the Pats play the same times as the Jets I have to use Sunday ticket to get the game.

My kid brother lives up there so I know your situation. He has gone with one of those IPTV/VPN services and gets pretty much everything now.