Jets Have 4 Players With Contracts That Void Today (Duane Brown Lawson Whitehead Jefferson

#Jets have 4 players with contracts that void today -- OT Duane Brown, DE Carl Lawson, S Jordan Whitehead and DT Quinton Jefferson. Gives them an early start on free agency.

Downside: They will count $15.8M on cap (Lawson $6.3M, Brown $4.7M, Whitehead $3.3M, Jefferson $1.5M).

5 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

#Jets have 4 players with contracts that void today -- OT Duane Brown, DE Carl Lawson, S Jordan Whitehead and DT Quinton Jefferson. Gives them an early start on free agency.

Downside: They will count $15.8M on cap (Lawson $6.3M, Brown $4.7M, Whitehead $3.3M, Jefferson $1.5M).

Thank you, Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, chirorob said:

There is so much backloaded cap space.

JD has created a cluster for the next gm.

Imagine how it will look after this offseason of lame duck GM and fans begging him to do lame duck GM things.

Jets content creators like Greenbean and that unhinged Asman are begging for JD to go all in knowing woody has rabbit ears listening to everything 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Jets Football come get some 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Why didn’t we trade Lawson?

I think it might have been a culture thing.  Two teams were supposedly showing interest and the Jets were certainly in talks.  Everybody expected him to be gone.  We were 3-3 or 4-3 and might have thought he'd show some value down the stretch, but those teams could have tried to hold us up. 

They seem to love Lawson and his work ethic and might not have wanted to send him somewhere he'd hate.  The only real move they made seemed like a favor to Hardman.  Dumping  Cook and Amos were also favors to the players.  I also think he will count on the comp pick formula and holding him may help us sign an OLineman while still getting the 3rd for Huff.

43 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Do those players count towards possible comp picks?

I believe so.  If a team voids the contract I think it is treated as if the player was cut, but "naturally" voided contracts should count towards the comp pick formula.  

• Upvote 2

Because they are veteran free agents, I do believe they actually do not have to wait until free agency and can sign with any team beginning tomorrow if they so choose.  Now while the Jets will be spending their money in free agency.  Comp pick could happen as a 7th rounder.  While these players did not work out for the Jets in our favor, at the time of the signing I did agree with it to be fair. 

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

Two are easy decisions… Brown gone, Jefferson back. The other two are trickier. Whitehead isn’t horrible and what do they feel about Ashton Davis? Lawson may be needed if the let Huff walk.

I think they are going to, and should, let them all test the market.  If they get solid deals great for the potential comp pick formula.  If not, they should have low ball offers from the Jets.  Maybe not super low ball on Whitehead.  I think they will let Jefferson look around but would like him back.  I see no real reason to have Lawson back unless he is crazy cheap.  Ashtyn Davis is an unrestricted FA too, and I would do they same with him. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetsrule128 said:

Update: Technically, they’re not free agents yet, but they will be free agents next month with all the other UFAs. But their contracts are voiding. That’s the main takeaway.

so they are still jets for 29 more days 

KEEP VOTING!

But seriously - good info in this thread jetsrule - wasn't aware of the deadline and you're on this stuff better than the beat writers.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Why didn’t we trade Lawson?

It's crazy to me how a team that supposedly knew they were f**ked in '23 the moment Rodgers went down, and also is without a 2nd round pick in '24, didn't decide to be sellers at the deadline.  Huff and Lawson were 2 of several that should have been dealt, and you can't possibly tell me there wasn't a market for both, especially Huff.

This idea that we needed to just "stay the course" in '23 with Zach Wilson locked in at QB and all of our cap liabilities remaining on the roster were easily fireable offenses for Douglas.  If we were going to stand pat, add a legitimate f**cking QB.  If not, sell off anybody you can with expiring deals. 

You can't be one foot in, one foot out with this sh*t.  Everything moves too quickly in this league to be left in no-mans land when you have opportunities to change that in one direction or the other.  Every other team who lost QBs this season made moves to add one.....except us.  And there were also several sellers at the deadline, as usual.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Imagine how it will look after this offseason of lame duck GM and fans begging him to do lame duck GM things.

Jets content creators like Greenbean and that unhinged Asman are begging for JD to go all in knowing woody has rabbit ears listening to everything 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Jets Football come get some 

Shooting for 8-9 wins to keep Woody "happy enough" is the Jets way and it has been for a long while.  That's how every regime tends to f**k over the next one. 

Like when Maccagnan paid gobs of money for Trumaine Johnson, Mosley and Le'Veon Bell hoping it would be enough to save his job.  Or when Terry Bradway traded for a f**king Kicker.  Or Tannenbaum with the Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason and Tim Tebow acquisitions (even if Woody and/or Rex had their fingerprints on all of those moves, Tannenbaum still pulled the trigger).

Just watch:  We win 9 games this year and sneak into that 7th WC spot, that will be enough for Woody to give this whole loser regime extensions.

• Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Listen man, I know most on here believe I am constantly defending JD but I don't nec. blame him for holding on Lawson last season. He was healthy and potentially could have been critical to a playoff run with Rodgers led Jets team that had SB aspirations. 

lol what?  If Lawson had the potential to be "critical to a playoff run", then why did we use back to back 1st round picks on EDGE guys?  Lawson became easily expendable.

43 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They seem to love Lawson and his work ethic and might not have wanted to send him somewhere he'd hate.  The only real move they made seemed like a favor to Hardman.  Dumping  Cook and Amos were also favors to the players.  I also think he will count on the comp pick formula and holding him may help us sign an OLineman while still getting the 3rd for Huff.

Maybe JD/Saleh should stop caring so much about the landing spots for these guys and do what's clearly best for the franchise?  Unless of course they know they're going to be let go and are trying to latch on to good spots of their own post-2024, which....duh.  That's the danger of a lame duck regime.  They're going to look out for their own.

As for the comp pick part, fair, I'm glad we'll at least be getting one for Lawson.  

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Many of us had Carl Lawson as an easy cut after last year, which would have saved $11M with no dead cap.  Money that could have been spent on Offense.

Whether it was JD’s decision or Saleh convincing JD to keep him, these types of horrible personnel decisions need to end. 

Mosley, Tomlinson, and Uzomah decisions will be telling, as will the restructuring of existing contracts into the future.

JD is a trash GM.  Enjoy another full season of Zach next fall

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol what?  If Lawson had the potential to be "critical to a playoff run", then why did we use back to back 1st round picks on EDGE guys?  Lawson became easily expendable.

Meanwhile most people here can’t wait to see Huff leave so we can finally get that elusive 2nd rd comp pick

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’d be fine with perpetual 8-9 win seasons with young hungry players and coaches exceeding expectations while they wait to get that franchise QB on a rookie deal. Jet fans don’t need playoffs. They need hope and direction. That I’ve seen the last 2 years has been completely disgusting and worse than any Jet regime ever. It’s not even close. 

Here's the problem with that mentality:   8-9 win seasons tend to directly impact your ability to find a FQB.  Or at the very least - it negatively impacts your ability to have a franchise-changing draft. 

People can scream about the draft being a crapshoot all they want, that QBs can be found later, blah blah blah.  The truth is that the higher the pick in a given year, the better your chances at getting a FQB.  Period.  We have plenty of data saying this is true over the long haul.  The Rams tanked for years to get where they are.  The Bengals were in rough shape until they landed Burrow...and then Chase...in back to back years with high picks.  Houston went from an absolute joke of a franchise to serious contenders seemingly overnight by landing Stroud.  And say what you will about Trevor Lawrence, but they're in VASTLY better shape than us by managing to lose 1 more game than us in 2020.

This idea that you can sit in no-man's land year after year and magically land a QB is flawed.  Sure, it absolutely CAN happen, but will it?  Not nearly as likely as you are if you can pick in the top 3 a few times each decade or so.

And even if you don't like any of the QBs in a given draft class, you can trade down for a haul.  The Jets are almost never in a position to trade down for a haul when they're constantly picking outside of the top 5.  

Not to mention, picking higher in EVERY round sure is nice when you can get to that place.

Sometimes, you really have to bottom out.  Imagine where we'd be sitting right now if Douglas had done the right thing in '21 and made that deal with SF for # 2?  Aren't you at least a little jealous of where the Bears are sitting right now?  Their options are 1) Draft a QB and trade Fields for a nice haul OR 2) Take, say, Marvin Harrison Jr and continue to build around Fields while still having another top 10 pick.

Lastly, you say you want a "young and hungry" team out there?  Chalk that up mostly to one 2022 draft where we grabbed 4 awesome players all within 40 picks, 2 of them in the top 10.  Just saying.  We didn't get there by wallowing in no-man's land.  We did that with a combination of a really good trade AND picking high enough to make it happen. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Here's the problem with that mentality:   8-9 win seasons tend to directly impact your ability to find a FQB.  Or at the very least - it negatively impacts your ability to have a franchise-changing draft. 

People can scream about the draft being a crapshoot all they want, that QBs can be found later, blah blah blah.  The truth is that the higher the pick in a given year, the better your chances at getting a FQB.  Period.  We have plenty of data saying this is true over the long haul.  This idea that you can sit in no-man's land year after year and magically land a QB is flawed.  Sure, it absolutely CAN happen, but will it?  Not nearly as likely as you are if you can pick in the top 3 a few times each decade or so.

And even if you don't like any of the QBs in a given draft class, you can trade down for a haul.  The Jets are almost never in a position to trade down for a haul when they're constantly picking outside of the top 5.  

Not to mention, picking higher in EVERY round sure is nice when you can get to that place.

Sometimes, you really have to bottom out.  Imagine where we'd be sitting right now if Douglas had done the right thing in '21 and made that deal with SF for # 2?  

omg but Brock Purdy bro

Drooling GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

People can scream about the draft being a crapshoot all they want, that QBs can be found later, blah blah blah.  The truth is that the higher the pick in a given year, the better your chances at getting a FQB.  Period.  We have plenty of data saying this is true over the long haul.  The Rams tanked for years to get where they are.  The Bengals were in rough shape until they landed Burrow...and then Chase...in back to back years with high picks.  Houston went from an absolute joke of a franchise to serious contenders seemingly overnight by landing Stroud.  And say what you will about Trevor Lawrence, but they're in VASTLY better shape than us by managing to lose 1 more game than us in 2020.

This idea that you can sit in no-man's land year after year and magically land a QB is flawed.  Sure, it absolutely CAN happen, but will it?  Not nearly as likely as you are if you can pick in the top 3 a few times each decade or so.

Sometimes, you really have to bottom out.  Imagine where we'd be sitting right now if Douglas had done the right thing in '21 and made that deal with SF for # 2?  Aren't you at least a little jealous of where the Bears are sitting right now?  Their options are 1) Draft a QB and trade Fields for a nice haul OR 2) Take, say, Marvin Harrison Jr and continue to build around Fields while still having another top 10 pick.

Lastly, you say you want a "young and hungry" team out there?  Chalk that up mostly to one 2022 draft where we grabbed 4 awesome players all within 40 picks, 2 of them in the top 10.  Just saying.  We didn't get there by wallowing in no-man's land.  We did that with a combination of a really good trade AND picking high enough to make it happen. 

I hear you and either approach is fine. My point was that  overall, Jet fans can be realistic and buy into the right program without recklessness and bad decisions. They can tolerate the 8-9 win seasons if the trajectory is there and they can buy into what’s happening as the team builds. It’s not always the record, it’s how the team conducts itself and the leadership leads. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe JD/Saleh should stop caring so much about the landing spots for these guys and do what's clearly best for the franchise?  Unless of course they know they're going to be let go and are trying to latch on to good spots of their own post-2024, which....duh.  That's the danger of a lame duck regime.  They're going to look out for their own.

As for the comp pick part, fair, I'm glad we'll at least be getting one for Lawson.  

Well, to an extent I agree.  It is a factor, but they have to weigh it against what they would get.  Compare potential comp picks with keeping the player happy.  Honestly, as lame ducks you would expect them to want picks in 2024.  Maybe teams weren't offering that and at that point, better to just wait on the comp pick and use the player - they still could/should  have still been in the playoff hunt.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Would have saved $15MM over his original value if they'd just cut bait. They did redo his contract so he was "only" $9MM. So as bad as it was keeping Mosley at $17MM to play MLB yet again on a losing team, there were so many resources just flushed down the toilet on guys who either didn't play noticeably better than a 3rd-4th stringer or or hardly played at all. The only scenario that was at all forgivable was Corey Davis, and even that is based upon them having absolutely no idea he was even considering this until August. If they'd replaced him outright in March/April it wouldn't have come up, but Davis was at least a legitimate NFL starter (when he wasn't on the sideline) & was still just 28. 

But this lot? They did this on purpose, as their examples of exercising good judgment:

1. Mosley $17MM 
  2. Lawson $9MM
  3. D.Brown $9MM
  4. Cook $7MM
  5. Lazard $11MM
  6. Cobb $3MM
  7. Hardmann $3MM (originally was $4MM)
  • And a couple more who were uncuttable because - like Lazard - his contract is fully guaranteed
  1. Tomlinson $13MM
  2. Uzomah $8MM

So what is all that...$80MM? You want to know why the Jets suck and can't even pull a crap QB like Zach across the finish line? Because these 9 players represented some 35% of the $224MM salary cap. 

Every GM swings and misses. So as bad as the pick for Zach was, the truth is given how much SF surrendered for Lance it was even more costly, then got nothing in trade in return for losing Garoppolo, and they were still in the Super Bowl anyway, a couple bad breaks away from winning it. So I can get past even a super-bust of a draft pick. I can also get past the likes of McGovern sucking before his injury because he was really cheap ($1.9MM) like a backup; Clark was a reasonable add and it's just bad luck he missed the whole season; Woods missed most of the season, too, but was playing for backup money as well ($2.25MM); whatever one thinks of the Rodgers trade - and sure, many didn't like it in the first place - losing him for the season on the 4th snap was hardly the realistic expectation even from a pessimist, seeing how his last missed game (due to injury) was back in 2017, and I remember at least one hint dropped that they made the trade knowing he'd take a giant pay cut for the season. 

But having $80MM count on these 9 players they could absolutely do without? It's ridiculous, and I am still fully expecting them to retain Mosley for 2024 and it's at worst 50-50 they'll keep Tomlinson, too.

Amen.