Super Bowl III … “FIXED” … Says Bubba Smith

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Not for nothing, but I was at the game before the superbowl, which was the AFC Championship game against the Raiders, who was a great team in their own right.  That game was very hard fought, and the Jets beat them with great play from Namath, and the defense.  In fact, I believe that had the Jets lost to the Raiders, the Raiders would have beaten the Colts that year in the superbowl. 

I mean, the offense of the Raiders had Daryle Lamonica as QB, and great offensive line with All pro players like JimOtto, Gene Upshaw and Harry Shuh.  Not to mention all pro Fred Biletnikoff and all pro tight end Billy Cannon.  Their defense had great players like George Atkinson, Willie Brown, , free safety Dave Grayson, and linebacker Gus Otto, who were all all pro players. They had big 6'8" all pro Ben Davidson on the defensive end.

Not too shabby, and that game was in my opinion tougher for the Jets than the Superbowl.

I listened to the game on radio because of the local home game TV blackouts in those days. The Raiders were a great team and I agree that either the Jets or the Raiders would have defeated the Colts.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

It was 16-Zip when he came in. TheColts scored a TD with about 3 minutes and change left.  They recovered an onside kick at the Jets 44 and turned it over on downs.  Game over.  It really wasn't a very close game.  Unitas threw an INT in the Jets End Zone.  The Colts had a lot of turnovers but the Jets pretty methodically controlled the clock and the scoreboard.  

Namath and the offense get so much ink for why they and the AFL style of play was that most forget or don’t realize the Jet D led the AFL that year and were really good while Baltimore was playing an old man at QB who scared no one.

Namath thought there were more than a few AFL teams that would have beaten the Colts, Raiders ms Chiefs included

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

In fairness, we live in a time where a goodly portion of the population thinks almost everything is a conspiracy theory of some kind and everything around them is "fixed" by someone somehow.  So I'm not sure it's all self-loathing. 

It is most definitely self loathing IMHO.  The good old internet gives every nut-burger a voice and a following now-a-days.     

22 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

There is that story from Henry Hill's book where he says he saw Namath a week before the Super Bowl and Namath told him to "bet the house!" I doubt a mobster is someone you'd want to roll the dice with that kind of statement. But I choose to ignore this fallacy and proclaim ultimate legitimacy to our one and only Super Bowl....and I'll do you one better.

If ours was fixed....then they're all fixed.

Namath made it clear during SB week that the more the team looked at film the more confident they were that they were going to win the game.  The team was extremely confident after watching film of the Colts that they could push them around.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Namath made it clear during SB week that the more the team looked at film the more confident they were that they were going to win the game.  The team was extremely confident after watching film of the Colts that they could push them around.

I don't believe for a second that the game was fixed....just saying that if that game was then they all are.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don't believe for a second that the game was fixed....just saying that if that game was then they all are.

If Pete Roxelle was the NFL Commissoner today their would not be a team in LV and there wouldn't be official NFL gambling sites.  No way that game was fixed.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I'd be more concerned it was fixed if the Jets loss. If I'm being honest. 

1970 was the first year when they created the AFC and NFC.  3 NFL teams came over to the AFC.  The Colts won the SB.  The browns finished at 500 and the Steelers were a 5 and 9 team.  The myth that the NFL was the much stronger league really didn't show up.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If Pete Roxelle was the NFL Commissoner today their would not be a team in LV and there wouldn't be official NFL gambling sites.  No way that game was fixed.

The giants and Steelers were originally owned by bookies. Namath had to sell his share of bachelors III because it was a bookie hangout. Gambling and the NFL are a very cozy relationship that goes back 100 years or more. 

the mob wouldn’t ask for the commissioner or head coach for permission 

the story about O’Donnell throwing the superbowl is that he owed his bookie big time so they cut a deal.  Not the thing guys tell their coach about 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Larz said:

The giants and Steelers were originally owned by bookies. Namath had to sell his share of bachelors III because it was a bookie hangout. Gambling and the NFL are a very cozy relationship that goes back 100 years or more. 

the mob wouldn’t ask for the commissioner or head coach for permission 

the story about O’Donnell throwing the superbowl is that he owed his bookie big time so they cut a deal.  Not the thing guys tell their coach about 

Yep, exactly why I said what I said. Yet, if it was fixed my guess would be Namath. Love the guy but the potential is always there with someone struggling with substance abuse. 

17 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I'd be more concerned it was fixed if the Jets loss. If I'm being honest. 

21 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

- Patriots win SB on the back of "tuck rule" after the attacks on 9/11

- Saints win the SB after Hurricane Katrina

- Patriots inprobable win SB vs Falcons (28-3 game) after Atlanta abandons the run. Shortly after, Shanahan accepts the 49ers job and Jimmy G gets sent for a 2nd round pick. Patriots reportedly turned down a 1st round pick from Browns.

- NFL is listed as an Entertainment Company

I love me a good conspiracy theory lol but there are too many moving pieces to most of them that require people to keep their lips sealed.

Not really 

All these leagues use the refs and you can tell a ref how to lean without directly telling them how to lean 

look how Rasheed Wallace said David Stren used to do it in the video above 👆 

If bubba should have a beef about the game he should direct it to Shula for not starting Unitas.  I don’t remember why morally was starting although Unitas had been injured.  But in the biggest game?  You put in the best players.  Unitas might’ve won the game.

On 2/21/2024 at 10:35 AM, rangerous said:

If bubba should have a beef about the game he should direct it to Shula for not starting Unitas.  I don’t remember why morally was starting although Unitas had been injured.  But in the biggest game?  You put in the best players.  Unitas might’ve won the game.

????

Morall started every game that year (the team went 13-1). Unitas got hurt in the preseason and Morall took the reigns and never looked back. Unitas was well past his prime and was the backup QB for the entire year. . 

• Upvote 2

On 2/21/2024 at 11:35 AM, rangerous said:

Holy sh*t.  You must have watched the NFL films piece!

**** Unitas, that chicken armed old goat.  They'd have picked him off twelve times.  Earl Morrall was the ******* league MVP.  Yeah.  Makes sense.  Bench the league MVP who was 13-1 on the season for Unitas who played in 5 games with 0 starts and was 11/32 for 139 yards with 2 TD and 4 INT on the season and did not play in the post season.  If Shula wanted to throw the game he'd have started that high topped old ****.   

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

????

Morall started every game that year (the team went 13-1). Unitas got hurt in the preseason and Morall took the reigns and never looked back. Unitas was well past his prime and was the backup QB for the entire year. . 

the fact still remains that unitas came in and the colts scored some points.  had he started the game might have turned out better.  in 72 morrall started most of the games but come playoff time griese was the qb.  shula learned.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 5:45 PM, rangerous said:

the fact still remains that unitas came in and the colts scored some points.  had he started the game might have turned out better.  in 72 morrall started most of the games but come playoff time griese was the qb.  shula learned.

Actually partly-False... Griese started the 72' season & was injured at the start of game 5 & Morrall took over & led them to the undefeated season & won the AFC player of the year award. Griese came in on the championship game against the steelers... Griese started & won the SB but Morrall won a playoff game against the browns.

https://www.nfl.com/news/sidelines/1972-miami-dolphins-the-inside-story-of-the-only-perfect-season-in-nfl-history

In the first quarter of the Dolphins' Week 5 game vs. the San Diego Chargers, Shula's commitment to preparation paid off. When Griese suffered a gruesome-looking broken tibia and dislocated ankle, Morrall -- nicknamed "Old Man" by teammates -- was flung into action.

Several players told me they were sure the season was over, figuring Griese's injury was too big a hurdle to overcome. Instead, Morrall proceeded to lead the NFL in passer rating and be named AFC Player of the Year. Crucially, he also kept Miami out of the loss column for the duration of his tenure.

On 2/21/2024 at 7:56 AM, Biggs said:

Is that you Verlon?

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2024 at 10:37 AM, #27TheDominator said:

I don't understand this.  The Colts threw the game and that is how Namath guaranteed it?  WTF?  Why would they tell Namath?  I don't think the NFL guys liked him at all.  Maybe they should ask Bubba how he liked Matt Snell's shoulder. 

Not the colts, Morrall. 

Joe was very tight with the bookies 

19 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Yeah Unitas scored 7 points against a prevent defense…shocker

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11/24 110 yards 0/1.  42.0 passer rating. I tremble in fear at what have happened if he'd gotten the start!  No disrespect to him, but **** that chicken armed old goat in his hightops.  They'd have ****ed even up worse than Morrall.  

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Not the colts, Morrall. 

Joe was very tight with the bookies 

Yeah.  The Colts offense had such great success against the Jets.  The Colts were a powerhouse.  Only cheating could keep them down.  They pulled Morrall with time left in the 3rd and put up a whopping 7 points. Beverly picked Johnny U's ass off too.  I don't think Joe got "tight with the bookies" by leaking information.

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

11/24 110 yards 0/1.  42.0 passer rating. I tremble in fear at what have happened if he'd gotten the start!  No disrespect to him, but **** that chicken armed old goat in his hightops.  They'd have ****ed even up worse than Morrall.  

Yeah.  The Colts offense had such great success against the Jets.  The Colts were a powerhouse.  Only cheating could keep them down.  They pulled Morrall with time left in the 3rd and put up a whopping 7 points. Beverly picked Johnny U's ass off too.  I don't think Joe got "tight with the bookies" by leaking information.

Joe was tight with bookies his entire life. He was a pool hall hustler when he was 11. The theory isn’t that he leaked it to them but that he heard it from them. He retired after the Super Bowl for a short while because Hoover was investigating his association with the bookies and they insisted that he sell his interest in bachelors III, a known bookie hangout. Joe eventually sold and came back to play. 

If you are a QB, how are you going to throw the game ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EMNiV-1u5nc

this is the suspicious flea flicker