NFL Combine NEWS + Reports (JD Press conference)

It just seems to me that, based on what the Jets are looking for (AR8 back up in 2024, AR8 backup/hold the fort guy in 2025), paying a 4th round pick for 2 years of Sam Howell, who has actually played in the NFL and won games, would be the best value, even if there are only two years left on his contract.

That is what I would do, which also does not stop us from taking a late round flyer we think is better than Siemian/Rypien.  

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

It just seems to me that, based on what the Jets are looking for (AR8 back up in 2024, AR8 backup/hold the fort guy in 2025), paying a 4th round pick for 2 years of Sam Howell, who has actually played in the NFL and won games, would be the best value, even if there are only two years left on his contract.

That is what I would do, which also does not stop us from taking a late round flyer we think is better than Siemian/Rypien.  

Yet why would washington do that deal?  Good backups are hard to find, so why would a team throw one away for a 4th rounder?  

I think after all the qb injuries, backup qbs are going to be harder to find that ever, but i hope I’m wrong

• Upvote 2

Just now, varjet said:

Compounding this problem is that losing the second rounder means the Jets have zero capital to take any chances with in a draft where they still need good players on the cheap. With a full slate of picks they'd be well within their rights to take Penix or someone at 10 and go all-in on OL the rest of the draft, but they lose that luxury with no 2. They are really better off buying another guy and praying for the best long-term.

Rodgers better stay healthy this year and the Jets better make the playoffs otherwise the AR trade is going to go down as one of the franchise's worst. One year of losing a few draft slots is not a disaster but this stuff builds up over time.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe if we hadn't won 3 meaningless games in December/January (as is Jets tradition) Caleb would be in play. 

Douglas should have focused a lot more on tanking properly than interviewing someone we'll never get.

Stop undermining the culture that was built from those wins. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Compounding this problem is that losing the second rounder means the Jets have zero capital to take any chances with in a draft where they still need good players on the cheap. With a full slate of picks they'd be well within their rights to take Penix or someone at 10 and go all-in on OL the rest of the draft, but they lose that luxury with no 2. They are really better off buying another guy and praying for the best long-term.

Rodgers better stay healthy this year and the Jets better make the playoffs otherwise the AR trade is going to go down as one of the franchise's worst. One year of losing a few draft slots is not a disaster but this stuff builds up over time.

If we don't make the playoffs this year, I think the Rodgers trade easily becomes the worst in our history. I can't think of a worse one. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If we don't make the playoffs this year, I think the Rodgers trade easily becomes the worst in our history. I can't think of a worse one. 

Trading for Doug Jolley and giving away the pick that would have been used for Heath Miller , who was the guy they were targeting is by far the worst.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’d be all about it for a pick that usually doesn’t mean much.  Not sure if the team takes on that large of a project though.

I think of it this way, a team (like ours) without a future at QB should be drafting (at minimum) a late round QB every draft. 

Late round means project #3 to start with, with no chance to play as rookies.  These can be replaced every year if a better one is drafted the following year(s).

But the pipeline behind the #1 should be as many QB projects/prospects as the roster can shoulder.  

Milton may not be the right guy, he is a clear project, huge arm, not a ton else yet.  I'm fine with someone else too, if a better prospect is around/available in those late rounds.  

But I 100% draft a late round QB, to sit at #3 behind Rodgers and (I would hope) a legit, no messing around NFL #2 Veteran QB in 2024.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think of it this way, a team (like ours) without a future at QB should be drafting (at minimum) a late round QB every draft. 

Late round means project #3 to start with, with no chance to play as rookies.  These can be replaced every year if a better one is drafted the following year(s).

But the pipeline behind the #1 should be as many QB projects/prospects as the roster can shoulder.  

Milton may not be the right guy, he is a clear project, huge arm, not a ton else yet.  I'm fine with someone else too, if a better prospect is around/available in those late rounds.  

But I 100% draft a late round QB, to sit at #3 behind Rodgers and (I would hope) a legit, no messing around NFL #2 Veteran QB in 2024.

With a mercurial, meddling owner like woody, he may be looking at these qbs and saying to douglas, look, i want one if it makes sense so scout all these guys, and maybe we’ll take one and he’ll be the backup and if rodgers gets hurt again I’ll give the fan base something to be excited about.  This is a possibility with woody.

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Old guys will say Lam Jones, analytics guys will probably say Tebow, and both are right I guess. For me, looking back on the Favre trade, giving up assets for a guy that was only looking to come in and sexually harass the women in the building just so he could leverage his position to get to the Vikings looks like a pretty huge dildo to have hanging over the team. 

The trade that got us the #2 pick that turned out to be used on Lam could have been one of the greatest in NFL history. We traded QB Matt Robinson for Denver’s#1. The obvious pick there was Anthony Munoz, who went one pick after Lam. Jets passed because we had the all time great Chris  Ward and Marvin Powell at the tackles. 🤣

• Haha 2

Because JD loves wasting time and being "seen" to be doing things, as opposed to actually doing things.
It's like how Saleh really, REALLY wants people to SEE him running those stairs......
What's the narrative if he didn't meet with him? You must have had that queued up.
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

Trading for Doug Jolley and giving away the pick that would have been used for Heath Miller , who was the guy they were targeting is by far the worst.

that is mine as well - except in true Jets fashion how can you make that even worse? Picking a place kicker in the 2nd round because Brein missed in Pitt in the championship game

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

If Williams measures in at 6'0.25" with 8.75" hands, things could get real weird real fast.

This

There are already rumors of this going around.

People are saying his 6-1 listed height is usc being generous and the number of fumbles he’s had  (hand size)

Add the with the personality red flags you never know 🤷‍♂️

Just now, oatmeal said:

This

There are already rumors of this going around.

People are saying his 6-1 listed height is usc being generous and the number of fumbles he’s had  (hand size)

Add the with the personality red flags you never know 🤷‍♂️

So with all these red flags we should take him with our track record of drafting qbs?

• Haha 4

Just now, Augustiniak said:

So with all these red flags we should take him with our track record of drafting qbs?

Yes we absolutely should if he’s there. Also rumors going around that Maye is overrated by the media, if true I would take him too if available 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yesterday they complained we don’t do enough.  Today we do too much.  

This is literally the first thing that popped in my head, imagining the posts if we weren't meeting with Caleb.  We're officially in "this team sucks" mode and anything that happens, good, bad, or indifferent, will be met with criticism.  That sh*t ain't gonna change til we start winning games.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

This fanbase had the exact same mindset with Sam Darnold.

What?  100% totally different situation.

If we did not have Rodgers and were not in total win now mode with ZERO chance of picking a  QB in the 1st round it would make sense.

With the Darnold year we had no QB and 100% for sure were going to draft one high.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Howell has "won games"?  lol that's like saying "Zach Wilson would be a great backup because he's played in the NFL and won games". 

How about we bring in an actual proven commodity to backup, like a Tannehill or a Minshew or a Brissett(who cost us nothing but a cheap, short-term contract), and then take a flyer on some kid in the 4th who you can put on ice for a year or two?  No way would I be trusting Sam Howell in a "win now" year, nor should JD.  

5 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Hand size is the funniest knock on a player. 

Has it reached the NFL where it just completely hindered a player? 

It’s only a problem when the player has fumbling issues like Caleb has

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yes.

Yes. it's that far fetched.

As is the idea that Williams will fall to #10

As is the idea it's worth it to this Jets team, in this moment, to trade UP to acquire him.

It's really not. 

Nor should it be with a GM with a 24-56 career W/L record leading an organization with the longest playoff drought in the league.

Me:  I should spend 15 minutes crafting a detailed DM to send to Rihanna requesting a 3-way with me and my wife.

JN:  "HEY ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN"

@Barry McCockinner @JustInFudge @HessStation

Go Away Do Not Want GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

There’s strategic reasons to interview players who might end up on a rival team.

Can put him on a white board to understand his thought process.

Ask him about his other interviews to get a feel for how the draft might fall.

This is the JETS we're talking about...right?  The Jets?  And you think they're playing chess when everyone else is playing checkers on this one?

They're probably only doing it because Woody told them to and he doesn't get that Caleb is unavailable to us.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Is it not rightfully deserved? All Jet fans have is the brotherhood of openly bashing a regime that eventually earns it. At this point, it’s completely earned and every little thing, even if it’s nothing to really get upset about, will be scrutinized. Even if they did something reasonable or good…F THEM. This is scorched earth time for Jet Fans. 

Ya thats all great and dandy, but you really think JD or Woody are reading any of these complaints? No. But you know who is? Jets fans. So for those of us just looking for news, thanks for making us have to filter out all of this drama just to find it. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1