Zach Wilson Given Permission To Seek Trade

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Those two players should have been off the roster last season. Everyone knew the deal then. Anything with Woody is possible. I don’t think he’ll cut Wilson.

Maybe they do something like sending him to the Niners for a late round pick swap, with a conditional 6th attached if Zach is on their roster start of the league year in 2025, with the Jets eating $5 mil or something

Seeing that Zach is no better than a QB2 ( and I’m being very nice), but more like  a reform QB3 work in progress, what team out there is actually willing to absorb his contract? No one. If there was, JD would be doing the negotiating. Instead, he’s given carte blanche to team Zach basically saying without saying , good luck, you waste your time.
We’re stuck paying his contract whether or not he gets cut. So, there’s no point in cutting him. So, there’s a good chance that he’s here next year unless some sucker GM helps us out.
Am I seeing this wrong?
ps, I’m not a Zach defender 
The cap/dead cap is the same whether they cut him or retain him. His presence would be a huge distraction and he would take up a roster spot. So I see it the other way. Why keep him?

I think we’re all passed Zach hate or Zach love garbage, right now it’s just Business.
If they can’t find a dance partner, then it makes zero sense to spend $11 million on cutting a guy. 
Emotions need not be part of the decision. but, these are the Jets were talking about. It’ll be another Jetsian thing they’ll do.
He takes up a roster spot. That's why you cut him.
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:
I think we’re all passed Zach hate or Zach love garbage, right now it’s just Business.
If they can’t find a dance partner, then it makes zero sense to spend $11 million on cutting a guy. 
Emotions need not be part of the decision. but, these are the Jets were talking about. It’ll be another Jetsian thing they’ll do.

He takes up a roster spot. That's why you cut him.

Exactly, if he isnt’t your #2 he is a wasted spot and you cut your losses. They have to sign a real #2 and hopefully draft a project for #3.

• Upvote 1

The vibe that I am getting is that teams see QBs they can draft this year in rounds 4 and later who are probably better than Zach Wilson out of the gate.   I kind of agree with that.   Why pay a draft pick to pay him $5mm.  

if the Jets have to absorb almost all of his $, why not try and rehab him so we get a better comp pick?  

I don’t think JD deserves the opportunity to spend more resources on QB2.  Roll with Zach and Siemian and pray AR8 stays healthy.  Then maybe they win 10 games 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

The vibe that I am getting is that teams see QBs they can draft this year in rounds 4 and later who are probably better than Zach Wilson out of the gate.   I kind of agree with that.   Why pay a draft pick to pay him $5mm.  

if the Jets have to absorb almost all of his $, why not try and rehab him so we get a better comp pick?  

I don’t think JD deserves the opportunity to spend more resources on QB2.  Roll with Zach and Siemian and pray AR8 stays healthy.  Then maybe they win 10 games 
.10a081a3b125eb047be88b8ec3302d75.gif
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Comp pick.

Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC

• Haha 4

On 3/3/2024 at 5:48 AM, T0mShane said:

Isn’t part of the issue that Team Wilson wants to steer Zach into a specific situation (Niners) and that the Niners know this which gives them the leverage to wait until the Jets cut him? What’s Douglas gonna do—dump him on some team that Steve Young doesn’t approve of? The Texans are going to throw a draft pick and  $5.5 mil at a bad QB who doesn’t want to be there? The move was to trade him last offseason when there was still a shred of doubt that he wasn’t awful.

No, the real issue is Zach has a $11.1 million cap hit to whatever team trades for him.  Not only is Zach a lousy bust but nobody wants to pay him that money and kill their cap with that— oh and that’s after giving up a draft pick for him

Literally no team in the NFL has interest in Zach Wilson.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

No, the real issue is Zach has a $11.1 million cap hit to whatever team trades for him.  Not only is Zach a lousy bust but nobody wants to pay him that money and kill their cap with that— oh and that’s after giving up a draft pick for him

Literally no team in the NFL has interest in Zach Wilson.

I mean the Jets and woody have any easy cover to keep him on the roster. If they wanted Wilson to be gone they would have cut him already. The right move is cutting Wilson now and ripping off the bandaid. Instead they’re going to drag this out and pretend there’s any sort of market for him (what at best a conditional 7th?).

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

I mean the Jets and woody have any easy cover to keep him on the roster. If they wanted Wilson to be gone they would have cut him already. The right move is cutting Wilson now and ripping off the bandaid. Instead they’re going to drag this out and pretend there’s any sort of market for him (what at best a conditional 7th?).

I don’t think we even get what we got for Hackenberg which was a 7th.  I think Zach is backing up Aaron next September and we all know how that bs ends

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • The $11.1m for "whatever team" trades for him is not true.  The Jets have a $5.55mm cap hit regardless of whether ZW is on their roster-its 1/4 of the signing bonus that Zach received.   This is one reason we will not feel sorry for him-his prep, fancy throw in his workout, etc. got him a guaranteed $30+mm.  
    • Zach is also guaranteed a salary of $5,5mm.  The Jets owe that UNLESS another team assumes it.   At this point it does not look like anyone is assuming it.  
    • So for a similar contract, when the 49ers traded Trey "Unknown Quantity" to Dallas, they took an accelerated $10mm cap hit for his two years of bonus but got the Cowboys to assume $10mm of his guaranteed salary.  That is why John Lynch is a great GM.
  • This is not the first time I have proposed that Zach be QB2-3 in 2024, and I do get a pretty hostile reaction to it.   I have as low of a regard for ZW as a QB as anyone on this board.  I just think that, despite what Woody says, this Jets team, with Hackett and the other coaches and players like Lazard, is AR8 or bust.   In a perfect world you backup QB can win you half your games.  The two SB teams had healthy QBs.  Zach and Siemian can win the Jets half, or almost half, their games in a pinch, and I would rather see the money spent on OL and WR than a real backup QB.  Jacoby Brissett, etc.  would have to step in to a Nate Hackett scheme.  I don't think any QB we sign is going to be more effective than the two guys who have already dealt with Hackett for a year.  But I respect the views of those who disagree.  

I’d be fine with Zach as third string after we draft a qb at 10 or sign a legit veteran backup qb.  Zach can take all the ski trips to Provo during the regular season he wants I just don’t ever want to see him on a football field during a regular season game again 

5 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • The $11.1m for "whatever team" trades for him is not true.  The Jets have a $5.55mm cap hit regardless of whether ZW is on their roster-its 1/4 of the signing bonus that Zach received.   This is one reason we will not feel sorry for him-his prep, fancy throw in his workout, etc. got him a guaranteed $30+mm.  
    • Zach is also guaranteed a salary of $5,5mm.  The Jets owe that UNLESS another team assumes it.   At this point it does not look like anyone is assuming it.  
    • So for a similar contract, when the 49ers traded Trey "Unknown Quantity" to Dallas, they took an accelerated $10mm cap hit for his two years of bonus but got the Cowboys to assume $10mm of his guaranteed salary.  That is why John Lynch is a great GM.
  • This is not the first time I have proposed that Zach be QB2-3 in 2024, and I do get a pretty hostile reaction to it.   I have as low of a regard for ZW as a QB as anyone on this board.  I just think that, despite what Woody says, this Jets team, with Hackett and the other coaches and players like Lazard, is AR8 or bust.   In a perfect world you backup QB can win you half your games.  The two SB teams had healthy QBs.  Zach and Siemian can win the Jets half, or almost half, their games in a pinch, and I would rather see the money spent on OL and WR than a real backup QB.  Jacoby Brissett, etc.  would have to step in to a Nate Hackett scheme.  I don't think any QB we sign is going to be more effective than the two guys who have already dealt with Hackett for a year.  But I respect the views of those who disagree.  

I think the real importance of the backup QB is less winning games and more continuing development of and engagement by guys like Garrett Wilson, ability to evaluate the OL, etc. It's fuzzy and I respect the idea that the team's not winning a Super Bowl with a backup, but I think having a respectable player as the backup QB is the kind of thing that good organizations do and there's a reason for that.

No-one is going to want to trade for Zach at his salary, unless it's a swap of failed picks. Zach for Mac Jones, for example.

Cap hit stays the same for each team, more or less, but each player gets a fresh start.

Otherwise, he might have to come back to NY with his tail between his legs and take the #3 spot behind Rodgers and a veteran FA addition.

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

The third option of cutting ZW is still a viable strategy. If there is interest by other teams but not enough to make a trade, Douglas can cut him and use the rookie contract offset language to reduce the cap hit to the Jets. Another team can sign him for $1mm and the only thing they "trade" to the Jets is reducing the cap hit marginally. That would give back the cash to sign a QB3 on vet minimum without any real change to their cap. It's only a losing strategy if there's no interest and the Jets eat the final year of guaranteed salary. 

I don't completely rule out the team retaining him, either. If there's zero interest in him this offseason, he's got to come back and beg to stay on the team and see if a team will take a flyer on him in 2025. The team gets a second backup without any added cost by keeping him over dumping him for nothing and then spending money to procure yet another QB. 

15 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

The third option of cutting ZW is still a viable strategy. If there is interest by other teams but not enough to make a trade, Douglas can cut him and use the rookie contract offset language to reduce the cap hit to the Jets. Another team can sign him for $1mm and the only thing they "trade" to the Jets is reducing the cap hit marginally. That would give back the cash to sign a QB3 on vet minimum without any real change to their cap. It's only a losing strategy if there's no interest and the Jets eat the final year of guaranteed salary. 

I don't completely rule out the team retaining him, either. If there's zero interest in him this offseason, he's got to come back and beg to stay on the team and see if a team will take a flyer on him in 2025. The team gets a second backup without any added cost by keeping him over dumping him for nothing and then spending money to procure yet another QB. 

You really gotta wonder what the owner was thinking by talking about the QB situation like he did.  Completely destroyed any bargaining position and gives ZW's camp a reasonable excuse for refusing to return.  My guess is that he has completely left the NJ area. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

Cutting Wilson was a viable strategy last year because it made the most football sense. Cutting Wilson now makes sense. The fact that these two things make sense and yet they haven’t happened leads me to think Zach will be on the roster again because of reasons, with the “dead cap nightmare” as the rationale. 

Cutting Wilson was a viable strategy last year because it made the most football sense. Cutting Wilson now makes sense. The fact that these two things make sense and yet they haven’t happened leads me to think Zach will be on the roster again because of reasons, with the “dead cap nightmare” as the rationale. 
10 mil is not a dead cap nightmare.

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

10 mil is not a dead cap nightmare.

I agree. Which why the right football move is releasing him now and saving yourself the stress of trying to beg for a 7th rounder and 5 million of precious cap space. 

in reality , the Jets for whatever reason are letting Zach facilitate this to get himself on the west coast and likely will not cut him when no team he wants to go to wants him.  

I agree. Which why the right football move is releasing him now and saving yourself the stress of trying to beg for a 7th rounder and 5 million of precious cap space. 

in reality , the Jets for whatever reason are letting Zach facilitate this to get himself on the west coast and likely will not cut him when no team he wants to go to wants him.  
The only reason to release him now is to make you feel better. The Jets (and Team Wilson) should exhaust every avenue to get *something* for him. Once all avenues are exhausted, then you cut him.

I will admit that I have a selfish reason for wanting them to not even bother to find a trade partner and cut him immediately. I'm sure you can guess what that is
  • Upvote 1

I’ll start with saying this. I’m not a Zach fan. Never wanted to draft him. And it is inevitable that his time here is done.

BUT…… when do we learn that maybe it’s us who’s the problem?

Our formula is all wrong and I’ve been preaching this for years. We have nothing on offense and then bc we suck draft a QB high all to put them around our crappy offense and wonder why we aren’t magically good bc we drafted a QB. At what point do we realize we have to get several good WRs, 2 good running game and a good OL and the QB will pretty much just fall into place if we do the above. It’s a lot easier in this league to find 2 great WRs and a few good OLineman than it is to find a franchise QB.

Darnold sucked bc we gave him nothing. Now he’s decent. Geno sucked. We gave him nothing and now he’s a starting QB in this league. Zach did get GW and Hall but we’ve had the worst OL in the league with them. So we didn’t help him succeed.

Stop spending picks on QB and go sure up the OL and have several weapons.

This is how I expect the offseason to go. Getting 2-3 new OLienamn and 1-2 more wepaons

• Sympathy 1

I’ll start with saying this. I’m not a Zach fan. Never wanted to draft him. And it is inevitable that his time here is done.

BUT…… when do we learn that maybe it’s us who’s the problem?
Our formula is all wrong and I’ve been preaching this for years. We have nothing on offense and then bc we suck draft a QB high all to put them around our crappy offense and wonder why we aren’t magically good bc we drafted a QB. At what point do we realize we have to get several good WRs, 2 good running game and a good OL and the QB will pretty much just fall into place if we do the above. It’s a lot easier in this league to find 2 great WRs and a few good OLineman than it is to find a franchise QB.

Darnold sucked bc we gave him nothing. Now he’s decent. Geno sucked. We gave him nothing and now he’s a starting QB in this league. Zach did get GW and Hall but we’ve had the worst OL in the league with them. So we didn’t help him succeed.

Stop spending picks on QB and go sure up the OL and have several weapons.

This is how I expect the offseason to go. Getting 2-3 new OLienamn and 1-2 more wepaons

Near perfect post... Cept for all the typos and grammatical snafus.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk