Zach Wilson Given Permission To Seek Trade

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If the Jets only get an exchange of 7th round picks and have to eat the contract that's a great deal for another team. Zach is actually worth a lot more than that. 

Say that out loud, and slowly. Come back and let us know if you still feel this way. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Why would anyone want this player at this price? 

I feel like he's still gonna be the backup 

Walk me through the scenario of no team wanting to trade for Wilson, or the team that has interest, Zach doesn’t want to play for. Just by this report, it doesn’t sound like the Jets are actively shopping him so he’s not going to disclose the team he wouldn’t want to go to. Will he be cut then? 

32 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Walk me through the scenario of no team wanting to trade for Wilson, or the team that has interest, Zach doesn’t want to play for. Just by this report, it doesn’t sound like the Jets are actively shopping him so he’s not going to disclose the team he wouldn’t want to go to. Will he be cut then? 

If cut that's 11 mil against the Jets cap so the Jets don't want that. 

If traded the Teams split the 11. The problem is finding a team that will pay 5.5 and a draft pick swap for a qb 3

I'm not sure what the exact rules are and if the Jets can negotiate with other teams at this time to trade a player. You'd think if they can they'd have contacted other teams to see if there's a market for him. What they could get and teams interested.  But it's not unusual esp with a player with lower market value to allow agent of player to make inquiries. 

For what I understand (Connor Hughes), ZW was coached hard his first year with LaF which didn't work.  Then with the stiff OC we have now,  they tried the soft approach by pumping him up and that didn't work either. 

The guy is a effin head case with a arm talent... If, and this is a big if, they can trade him for anything, do it - even if you have to eat the $. 

PS... good riddances....

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

What is he going to when no one wants him ?

My wild Doc Brown take that’s purely conspiratorial is that everyone knows no one’s trading for him and this is the easiest way to sneak him back on the roster because of DEAD cap. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If the Jets only get an exchange of 7th round picks and have to eat the contract that's a great deal for another team. Zach is actually worth a lot more than that. 

Actually, he's only worth the max that a team is willing to give up.  That's how markets work.

Team trading for him has to surrender 1) A pick; 2) $5M+ in cap space, and 3) A guaranteed QB2 spot (since hardly any teams roster 3 QBs any longer and certainly don't want to pay a QB $5M to be the QB3). 

Why would any reasonable team do this when they can just wait for JD to cut him and add him for "free"?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

If cut that's 11 mil against the Jets cap so the Jets don't want that. 

If traded the Teams split the 11. The problem is finding a team that will pay 5.5 and a draft pick swap for a qb 3

They want to trade Zach Wilson but only to a place he's "happy" in order to "do right by him".

Why?  Who f**king knows the real reasons, but Woody has to be involved there.  Why do they have to do "right by him"?  He's made over $30M to be bad at football and still be given every chance to start, all while his proxies b*tched about the Jets on social media.  Trade him to Siberia FFS. 

JD is spineless.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm not sure what the exact rules are and if the Jets can negotiate with other teams at this time to trade a player. You'd think if they can they'd have contacted other teams to see if there's a market for him. What they could get and teams interested.  But it's not unusual esp with a player with lower market value to allow agent of player to make inquiries. 

Negotiations can happen whenever, but no trades can be officially executed until the league year starts.  In this case, March 13th. 

16 hours ago, shawn306 said:

What is he going to when no one wants him ?

Probably read in the Deseret news how the NFL was mean to Zach and his family. And then do Zach wilson sh*t like go white water rafting with a friend of his mom? 

• Haha 1

They want to trade Zach Wilson but only to a place he's "happy" in order to "do right by him".
Why?  Who f**king knows the real reasons, but Woody has to be involved there.  Why do they have to do "right by him"?  He's made over $30M to be bad at football and still be given every chance to start, all while his proxies b*tched about the Jets on social media.  Trade him to Siberia FFS. 
JD is spineless.
"Well, I've had good conversations with his agent, Brian Ayrault," Douglas during news conference at the 2024 NFL Scouting Combine. "Where we are exactly, we've given them permission to talk to other teams about a trade. I'm going to circle back with Brian at some point, this week or next week, just to see how those conversations go. Other than that, there's nothing else to report."

Do you have the quote where Douglas said he only wanted to trade Wilson to a place where he will be happy so they can do right by him?

I think the reason they are letting his agent pursue a trade is because JD knows how hard it will be to trade the guy and he will take all the help he can get. I'm pretty sure you laid out the reasons why trading him will be difficult.

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

JD is spineless.

It’s a conspiracy apparently. 

in seriousness, the we’ve allowed him to seek a trade talk is generally reserved for good players.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Would you be OK with Joe trading Zack to an AFC East team?

It would bring me immense joy to take a draft pick from the pats while simultaneously handing them the worst garbage bag we've ever had - and that's saying something given just the last 13 years, let alone the 50 before them. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, bitonti said:

Why would anyone want this player at this price? 

I feel like he's still gonna be the backup 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18865517/houston-texans-trade-brock-osweiler-2018-second-round-pick-cleveland-browns

Remember when the Texans traded Brock Osweiler to the Browns, they gave the Browns essentially a 2nd rd pick to eat that Brock contract. Do you think Joe Douglas may have to give something up for a team to take on Zach Wilson?

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

Do you think Joe Douglas may have to give something up for a team to take on Zach Wilson?

Yes. Besides the pick swap the Jets will have to eat most of his remaining salary 

If they make a deal it will be something like Zach and a 7 and 4 mil of Zach salary for a 6 Rd pick? Maybe? 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18865517/houston-texans-trade-brock-osweiler-2018-second-round-pick-cleveland-browns

Remember when the Texans traded Brock Osweiler to the Browns, they gave the Browns essentially a 2nd rd pick to eat that Brock contract. Do you think Joe Douglas may have to give something up for a team to take on Zach Wilson?

Yes. Likely. However I don’t recall Osweiller getting permission to find his own landing spot like the Jets are doing with Wilson. Look at the players currently getting the green light to seek trades- Sneed in KC, Redick in Philly, Jonathan Taylor…and Zach Wilson? Huh?

• Upvote 2