Zach Wilson Given Permission To Seek Trade

There was a rumor about Raiders potential interest in Zach. You'd think Zach would be interested LV is the closest franchise to the SLC area. Plus maybe Raiders wouldn't mind a fairly local and popular in the area player going there at a low price with 33 starts. But actually when you think about it they have O'Connell who played at least as well as Zach did last season which wasn't that good so do they really want another guy in that category. Just stay with O'Connell. 

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There was a rumor about Raiders potential interest in Zach. You'd think Zach would be interested LV is the closest franchise to the SLC area. Plus maybe Raiders wouldn't mind a fairly local and popular in the area player going there at a low price with 33 starts. But actually when you think about it they have O'Connell who played at least as well as Zach did last season which wasn't that good so do they really want another guy in that category. Just stay with O'Connell. 

That would be comedy gold just for the Raider90210 posts and threads.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

No sane GM would "just stay with O'Connell".

Of course, the Raiduhs are rarely sane, and no sane GM would "just stick with Zach Wilson" either.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Would I be OK with it?  I'd prefer it.

Might be a case of watch what you wish for. On one of his rare 'good games', Zack could beat anything the Jets put out there. Didn't ZW beat Aaron Rodgers head to head, in Green Bay not too long ago? Do we really want Z rolling into town with the Pats, have his only 'good game' of the season, and beat AR again? 

I don't.

Losing to Sam Darnold was enough for me.

Ship him off to the NFC, just in case. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Might be a case of watch what you wish for. On one of his rare 'good games', Zack could beat anything the Jets put out there. Didn't ZW beat Aaron Rodgers head to head, in Green Bay not too long ago? Do we really want Z rolling into town with the Pats, have his only 'good game' of the season, and beat AR again? 

I don't.

lol.  Name one game where Zach "led" this team to a win.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Crazy that a 25 year old former second overall pick whom most draft analysts really liked is now basically on the street begging for a roster spot and the team that drafted him is like “good luck, bro. Let us know how it goes.” 

Ryan Leaf if he was a nice boy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I kind of find it strange that the Jets gave him permission to find a trade partner.  Isn't that the job Joe Douglass is supposed to do.  Hopefully, as he has done in the past, Joe will surprise us and get more for Wilson than we thought possible.  (i.e. A mid-six rounder, instead of a 7th rounder).

• Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, talonmm said:

I kind of find it strange that the Jets gave him permission to find a trade partner.  Isn't that the job Joe Douglass is supposed to do.  Hopefully, as he has done in the past, Joe will surprise us and get more for Wilson than we thought possible.  (i.e. A mid-six rounder, instead of a 7th rounder).

It’s pretty common for disgruntled players who want out to be given permission to seek a trade. The Jets “promised” Zach they’d trade him when he was refusing to play for them. They’re fulfilling their end here.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, talonmm said:

It's a smart move. It's done for PR purposes only.

Douglas already knows there is no market for Zach. He knows he'll have to release him post June 1. He doesn't want to outright say it. And frankly, if the agent is able to somehow pull it off... win/win. But Douglas has more important things to do addressing this disaster of a team than to find a trade for this guy that has no value. It's simply not worth his time.

For better or for worse, Zach is a high profile player in the league because of where he was drafted. This makes the Jets seem like they are accommodating and respectful to their players, despite their well-intended struggles. It gives the illusion that Zach was given every opportunity to find the right fit for himself before transactions officially begin. The hope is that helps their rep with others, which may help boost their chances in free agency.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Actually, he's only worth the max that a team is willing to give up.  That's how markets work.

Team trading for him has to surrender 1) A pick; 2) $5M+ in cap space, and 3) A guaranteed QB2 spot (since hardly any teams roster 3 QBs any longer and certainly don't want to pay a QB $5M to be the QB3). 

Why would any reasonable team do this when they can just wait for JD to cut him and add him for "free"?

That $5 million money is for a backup, not some 3rd stringer bouncing between the PS and the roster depending on cap room and the health of the other 2 QBs every week. We may think it's foolish not to have a 3rd QB on the main roster(based on 2023 we already know not having a  real #2 is a problem!) , but that's how the NFL is working these days . The typical backups, whether they're on the market or signed,  are Wentz, Minshew, Tommy Cutlets, Brissett, White. Wilson isn't in the conversation because he isn't even that good. In fact Wilson's 2023 season is an example of exactly what nobody wants in a backup. 

No doubt the Rams are out. Mike Lafleur knows Wilson is not a student of the game. Wilson is too dumb to now start living at the team facility and gobbling up game tape. Remember over 3 seasons Wilson was at Florham Park in the offseason only when it was mandated.  Been obvious Wilson wasn't the kind of QB and won't happen now. And it's not about being a rich kid; the Mannings, Mahomes, Brady all grew up pretty comfortable, but they never stopped working and learning. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It’s pretty common for disgruntled players who want out to be given permission to seek a trade. The Jets “promised” Zach they’d trade him when he was refusing to play for them. They’re fulfilling their end here.

It’s generally reserved for good players. 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ryan Leaf if he was a nice boy. 

That’s the weird thing—there’s no drug problem, no major injury, no decline in physical tools which, relatively speaking, are still elite. You’ve got teams allegedly racing to draft a weirdo stiff like JJ McCarthy in the top ten, but Zach Wilson is gonna be relegated to a practice squad? It really makes you think that Wilson is even worse from a personality/leadership perspective than we even knew. Must be a total squish in the locker room.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s the weird thing—there’s no drug problem, no major injury, no decline in physical tools which, relatively speaking, are still elite. You’ve got teams allegedly racing to draft a weirdo stiff like JJ McCarthy in the top ten, but Zach Wilson is gonna be relegated to a practice squad? It really makes you think that Wilson is even worse from a personality/leadership perspective than we even knew. Must be a total squish in the locker room.

I keep an eye on the Bucs still just because I was there for a bit, and it’s immediate when you see a guy is in. Baker understood embracing the city and setting yourself up there is part of the gig. He revived his career by doing everything right. Zach was never in. All the things that come with being a professional he didn’t really care for, and likely had a safety net telling him not to worry about it, including Woody. I don’t recall the Cardinals placating Josh Rosen- they just got him out of there.

• Upvote 1

Suspect this has something  to do with Steve Young. Young's talking up of Wilson, due to the BYU connection,  looks like a bad joke in retrospect. Young is  still a respected former player and former ESPN  TV guy. It reflects poorly on Young any way you look at it.  Young is 62; may not be any more TV jobs in his future, but probably hopes somehow Wilson can at least be a servicable player elsewhere and rehab his own reputation.  Probably still has some contacts to kick the tires on Wilson and make things look copasetic, even if nobody wants him. 

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed. Obviously Zach has sucked and has put out a fair amount of bad tape. But I think the personality stuff is why he’s so radioactive. The quitting on the team stuff last yeah definitely hurt him, he misplayed his hand on that one.

im still thinking he'll wind up on the niners.  but the devil will be in the details.  why would any team trade for him and take on his salary unless they were pretty certain he's the right guy?  and then there is also the chance that the jets release him outright so why trade?  we'll see what happens.

11 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I don't.

I really hope this one doesn't come back to burn us (though it would certainly serve us right).  Imo, it's outrageous how they handled ZW.  I still say he showed a lot of progress in year 3, despite being dealt an awful hand (horrible CS, OL and WRs other than GW).  For Woody to sh-t all over him like that (especially while still saying "we need offense!" despite our HOF QB coming back next year) is a complete embarrassment.  

Woody is a doofus of the highest order.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

im still thinking he'll wind up on the niners.  but the devil will be in the details.  why would any team trade for him and take on his salary unless they were pretty certain he's the right guy?  and then there is also the chance that the jets release him outright so why trade?  we'll see what happens.

There was a rumor about him going to the Rams.  That would certainly be a great spot for him.  Maybe the ideal spot.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

At least mccarthy won a national championship and was coached by jim harbaugh.  His mechanics aren’t a disaster like Wilson’s.  Your mccarthy hate is too strong.  I bet he’s better than at least one of the top 3 qbs going in the draft. 

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  Name one game where Zach "led" this team to a win.  

Didn't he put up 30 on the play-off-bound Texans, all in the 2nd half? AFC Player Of The Week? Or maybe those 30 points were all defensive.

Look, I'm not saying we're making a mistake ditching Zach. But we COULD be making a mistake trading him inside the AFCE.

We spent 3 years living and dying by whether Zach Wilson would have a good game for us. I don't wanna live and die by whether ZW has a good game against us, twice a year. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I really hope this one doesn't come back to burn us (though it would certainly serve us right).  Imo, it's outrageous how they handled ZW.  I still say he showed a lot of progress in year 3, despite being dealt an awful hand (horrible CS, OL and WRs other than GW).  For Woody to sh-t all over him like that (especially while still saying "we need offense!" despite our HOF QB coming back next year) is a complete embarrassment.  

Woody is a doofus of the highest order.

ya, I was kinda shocked when Woody said that. "We didn't have a BU QB". That's the quiet part owners normally don't say out loud. 

After that, no way on Gods green Earth ZW agrees to return here (not that we want him too), but that comment was death. The comment was obviously directed more at Joe Douglas who let the team down (in Woody's opinion).