Zach Wilson Given Permission To Seek Trade

23 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

There was a rumor about him going to the Rams.  That would certainly be a great spot for him.  Maybe the ideal spot.

lmao MLF would shoot his own d**k off before letting that happen.  

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, EM31 said:

His "value" such as it might be is being determined right now at auction.  At that point he will be "worth" exactly as much as the highest bid.  Wherever that ends up.

Zach defenders, if there are actually still any of those left will be forced to conclude that the other 30 teams must have been wrong to not offer more than the winning bid.  If anyone out there thinks he has a salvageable skill set then that is he is worth to them as that.  If there are no offers at all then all 31 other Teams/GMs in the NFL will have determined that Zach has a value of precisely zero.

He’s a liability, not an asset due to the $5M+ cap hit and guaranteed QB2 spot (or expensive guaranteed QB3 spot) he will cost.  So even a deal for a conditional 7th is not a smart one for the receiving team.  

Put it this way:  Any team trading for Zach would be making him the 3rd  highest-paid backup in the league in 2024 after Taylor Heinicke ($9.1M cap number) and Jarrett Stidham ($7M).  And to keep him beyond ‘24 you’d have to extend him, too.  Not smart resource management even if you think highly of Zach Wilson.  

Much better to let JD cut him then sign him to a much cheaper 2-year deal as your developmental QB3.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Woody ain’t paying him 11 mill

There is no way he is on the team in 2024. Even if the Jets pay his contract to be traded, minus the league minimum the other team has to pay.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:
26 minutes ago, Matt39 said:
Woody ain’t paying him 11 mill

It's a guaranteed contract. So if they can't trade him to save 5 mil, it doesn't matter if he's on the roster or not. Woody is paying him what's owed.

I think that’s what I said Newman. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He’d be paying him $11M either way if a trade doesn’t happen.  

Right. If woody owes him 11 million we’ll get another article about his “arm talent”

• Haha 1

I think that’s what I said Newman. 
You're trying to push the narrative that he will be on the team because Woody wouldn't want to pay him 11 mil and not be on the roster. The point is he's getting paid the 11 mil no matter what unless he gets traded.

What are you going to do when Zach is gone? Harp on Saleh playing golf, right?

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Right. If woody owes him 11 million we’ll get another article about his “arm talent”

Wouldn’t surprise me.  I just think the likeliest end result is an Osweiler deal OR eating some of the money in order to get a pick back.  Trading Wilson with the current money attached for a pick makes no sense for the receiving team no matter how highly one of the 31 teams views him.  

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

You're trying to push the narrative that he will be on the team because Woody wouldn't want to pay him 11 mil and not be on the roster. The point is he's getting paid the 11 mil no matter what unless he gets traded.

What are you going to do when Zach is gone? Harp on Saleh playing golf, right?

I’m hoping to harp on the Jets winning for once 

• Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

No, Zach just getting cut seems more and more likely.

Zach can stay on the jets for $5.5mm or take a pay cut to go to another team.  jD must play hardball.   That is the choice. 

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

Zach can stay on the jets for $5.5mm or take a pay cut to go to another team.  jD must play hardball.   That is the choice. 

Rookie deals are fully guaranteed.  A pay cut isn’t an option.  

Zach is going to get his $11M+, it’s only a matter of whether it gets eaten fully by the Jets OR partially absorbed by a team trading for him. 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Zach is going to get his $11M+, it’s only a matter of whether it gets eaten fully by the Jets OR partially absorbed by a team trading for him. 

Zach can negotiate a new deal this year.  I can restructure.  

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He doesn't get another $11MM.

59 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Zach being on the roster next season gets more and more likely 

It’s not going to happen.

They’ll cut him if they have to, but if Jets will eat up to $8-10M of his salary and save $1-2M, some team will find value in that. At that price he doesn’t need to be on the active roster every week. At $5M he does.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you're afraid of Zach Wilson having 1-2 good games A YEAR against you, you're already sunk.  

And in any case dude is never sniffing a QB1 job again the rest of his career.  Its a moot point.  He's a QB3 who will have to claw for a QB2 job, and probably lacks the grit necessary to accomplish even that. 

You're used to him getting handed everything here so just assume he'll be a QB1 somewhere.  He won't get handed anything anywhere else every again.

Agree...ZW will not land a starting QB job. BUT....he'll be on a team for a reason, and I hope that 'reason' never comes back to bite us....my god, that would be SO obnoxious seeing ZW celebrating on our home field.

5 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Agree...ZW will not land a starting QB job. BUT....he'll be on a team for a reason, and I hope that 'reason' never comes back to bite us....my god, that would be SO obnoxious seeing ZW celebrating on our home field.

I’m still waiting for any former young Jets QB to “come back and bite us”.  Sure, Geno finally became an average starter….after 9.5 years and 2 other franchises dumped him after us.  Doesn’t really count there.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is correct. Stupid as it was for him, Gholston did, too.

Wasn’t that the one where he would get like $1-2mm bonus if he got 1sack, forced fumble or fumble recovery and he  couldn’t trigger it?🤣

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

I say keep him as #3 and as emerg inactive QB/water boy all season and announce that is your intentions.

Just to see reaction from Steve Young and ZW camp...might prove to be entertaining

No.

My soul can't take another year of ZW debates. This place has an unhealthy obsession with this guy. He needs to be GONE

On 3/1/2024 at 12:31 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Pre-excuses for Zach already being made?

There’s only one legit excuse.  The Jets.  If he produced the tape he did with any other team he’s out of the league.  Because he produced it with the Jets some team might think he’s worth a roster spot or a practice team spot.  JD secret weapon is he’s the Jets GM.

53 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:
He doesn't get another $11MM.

As I see it he is guaranteed 5.4 mil cash and the dead cap hit/dead cap hit is 11.1 mil.

Yes but it's somewhat misleading, seeing how the difference ($11.1MM - $5.4MM = $5.7MM) is a sunk cost that hits the cap whether he's here or not. That amount was locked in to hit the cap the day Zach cashed his rookie signing bonus check. It still hits even if he's traded and someone else (incredibly) agrees to absorb all $5.4MM of new cash he's due. 

Regardless, he's not receiving another $11MM for this season no matter what; whether he's here or he's cut or he's traded.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Wasn’t that the one where he would get like $1-2mm bonus if he got 1sack, forced fumble or fumble recovery and he  couldn’t trigger it?🤣

I don't remember what it was offhand, but ultimately he bet on himself and lost.

It was doubly stupid because, in failing to reach an easily-attained incentive trigger, he also scared every other team away from paying him, too, meaning this was the last major money he was ever going to earn make. 

Then it was triply-stupid because it was only about cash not cap space, since he accepted a pay cut in an uncapped season.

His agent, friends, family, etc. must have been thinking:

84de06e2-0234-40d3-8a38-5408d471721c_tex