Zach Wilson Given Permission To Seek Trade

43 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Didn't he put up 30 on the play-off-bound Texans, all in the 2nd half? AFC Player Of The Week? Or maybe those 30 points were all defensive.

Look, I'm not saying we're making a mistake ditching Zach. But we COULD be making a mistake trading him inside the AFCE.

We spent 3 years living and dying by whether Zach Wilson would have a good game for us. I don't wanna live and die by whether ZW has a good game against us, twice a year. 

I would welcome him getting starts in the AFCE.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

....physical tools which, relatively speaking, are still elite..... 

Even now I keep hearing people say this about Zach, but I've never seen this "elite" he supposedly possesses.

He has a slight above average arm (strength) and a materially below average arm (accuracy).

He has good, but not elite, escapabillity/scramble abillity, but not great running skills or decision making as to when to run/not run.

He's physically small, physically weak, not overly fast (as a runner).

What "elite" are you seeing?  He can throw it 50 yards if he tries real hard?  Yeah, so can most NFL QB's.  SMH, elite, lol.

• Upvote 2

On 3/1/2024 at 9:42 AM, FootballLove said:

Didn't he put up 30 on the play-off-bound Texans, all in the 2nd half? AFC Player Of The Week? Or maybe those 30 points were all defensive.

Look, I'm not saying we're making a mistake ditching Zach. But we COULD be making a mistake trading him inside the AFCE.

We spent 3 years living and dying by whether Zach Wilson would have a good game for us. I don't wanna live and die by whether ZW has a good game against us, twice a year. 

If you're afraid of Zach Wilson having 1-2 good games A YEAR against you, you're already sunk.  

And in any case dude is never sniffing a QB1 job again the rest of his career.  Its a moot point.  He's a QB3 who will have to claw for a QB2 job, and probably lacks the grit necessary to accomplish even that. 

You're used to him getting handed everything here so just assume he'll be a QB1 somewhere.  He won't get handed anything anywhere else ever again.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That’s the weird thing—there’s no drug problem, no major injury, no decline in physical tools which, relatively speaking, are still elite. You’ve got teams allegedly racing to draft a weirdo stiff like JJ McCarthy in the top ten, but Zach Wilson is gonna be relegated to a practice squad? It really makes you think that Wilson is even worse from a personality/leadership perspective than we even knew. Must be a total squish in the locker room.

MLF's opinion probably carries heavy weight in league circles.  As it should.  He got jobbed here.

• Upvote 2

That’s the weird thing—there’s no drug problem, no major injury, no decline in physical tools which, relatively speaking, are still elite. You’ve got teams allegedly racing to draft a weirdo stiff like JJ McCarthy in the top ten, but Zach Wilson is gonna be relegated to a practice squad? It really makes you think that Wilson is even worse from a personality/leadership perspective than we even knew. Must be a total squish in the locker room.

I can't explain his first 2 years (maybe an adjustment period?) but I do think this past year can (at least potentially) be explained by his awful supporting cast.  We'll see down the line if he becomes anything.  (I still think he'll be good)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I think it's just that theres some awful awful tape on him. And he's known for being a slow processor/can't handle pressure. After seeing 3 years of him, what team would want to put their faith in him as a QB2?? He needs to be a QB3 like Trey Lance, so the team can let him be part of their system for a couple years. 

Who the hell is trading assets for a QB3 with a ton of garbage tape lol.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I think it's just that theres some awful awful tape on him. And he's known for being a slow processor/can't handle pressure. After seeing 3 years of him, what team would want to put their faith in him as a QB2?? He needs to be a QB3 like Trey Lance, so the team can let him be part of their system for a couple years. 

Who the hell is trading assets for a QB3 with a ton of garbage tape lol.

Most of the garbage tape happened in his 1st 2 years.  As far as him being a slow processor, possibly that was due to his awful supporting cast.  (e.g. having to run for his life, having a punt returner as his WR2, etc).

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Most of the garbage tape happened in his 1st 2 years.  As far as him being a slow processor, possibly that was due to his awful supporting cast.  (e.g. having to run for his life, having a punt returner as his WR2, etc).

Poor processing has little to do with supporting cast.

If a guy's not open, throw it away. 

ZW's pocket habits are indefensible.

Poor communication and unsuccessful conflict management / resolution is a 2-way street.

If Zach doesn't feel comfortable running something, or can't handle something he's being asked to do, he needs to be honest with the coaches.

I know you think Zach Wilson is a pure 100% victim in this scenario, but I can't buy that.

You think Michael Jordan would have washed out of the league with Roy Rubin 🤣 as his head coach?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/rubinro99c.html

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Excuses are for losers.

Poor communication and unsuccessful conflict management / resolution is a 2-way street.

If Zach doesn't feel comfortable running something, or can't handle something he's being asked to do, he needs to be honest with the coaches.

I know you think Zach Wilson is a pure 100% victim in this scenario, but I can't buy that.

You think Michael Jordan would have washed out of the league with Roy Rubin 🤣 as his head coach?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/rubinro99c.html

Excuses are for losers.

Like our HC, who compiled W/L records of other HCs who lost their QB1?  

image.jpeg.f5dfcffaa0bfd6a0d6d9bdf3295a423c.jpeg

ZW is still a young QB and our CS was utter dogsh-t.  Unfortunately for him, the Jets are all he's known since entering the NFL.

100%?!  Lol. 

How many things in life are 100%? 

I've said before I don't know if ZW will be good (though I do think he will be).  I just want to see what he can do in a reasonably good situation (instead of the joke of a situation he was in last year).  I admit he was awful his 1st 2 years here btw.  I think he showed something last year though but was held back by his supporting cast.

"Oh the embarrassment" of not being as good as Michael Jordan!

36 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f5a1a8e7b27acbb7e696ffc58549ccfb.jpeg

image.png.93de067c8ca2069f50e19456f85ccefe.png

image.gif.24d247bcf516bc2eea24f1de8d69f494.gif

image.jpeg.d82cb231ac2e6323acf281fb2c78f504.jpeg

"I just can't figure out why ZW didn't put up good numbers last year.  The only possible explanation is that it was his own fault".

Now do his first 2 years.  Plus the first 5-6 games of his 3rd when the OL play was fine (he had top 15 pocket time in that span), the running game was great, and the D was elite.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Now do his first 2 years.  Plus the first 5-6 games of his 3rd when the OL play was fine, the running game was great, and the D was elite.

His 1st 2 years he stunk.  I'm not defending anything about them.

My point is that I think he improved a lot in year 3, but I don't think people were able to see it because of how awful he was in years 1&2.  Admittedly, it was difficult to see because he put up garbage numbers again this year.  But I think this year was more on the supporting cast than on him. 

I might end up being wrong about him (maybe even spectacularly wrong) but I really will be interested to see what happens to him the rest of his career.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Even now I keep hearing people say this about Zach, but I've never seen this "elite" he supposedly possesses.

He has a slight above average arm (strength) and a materially below average arm (accuracy).

He has good, but not elite, escapabillity/scramble abillity, but not great running skills or decision making as to when to run/not run.

He's physically small, physically weak, not overly fast (as a runner).

What "elite" are you seeing?  He can throw it 50 yards if he tries real hard?  Yeah, so can most NFL QB's.  SMH, elite, lol.

The arm and the mobility are upper tier, especially compared to this particular draft class. 

• Upvote 2

Hidden production for Zach!

It's funny, and I'm not a Fields fan, but Fields has had it every bit as bad as Wilson when it comes to coaching and supporting cast yet he put up superior numbers.

Zach looked awful against Dallas, NE, Denver, NYG, Raiders and the second Buffalo game. And I used to defend him. Let's just call a spade a spade. He sucks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

MLF's opinion probably carries heavy weight in league circles.  As it should.  He got jobbed here.

How about milfy just not being a good oc.  He seems to have had quite a few players opt off the team.  Is he the one who wanted all of the wrs to learn all of the positions?  Milfy is with a hc who actually knows offense so he’s hidden.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

How about milfy just not being a good oc.  He seems to have had quite a few players opt off the team.  Is he the one who wanted all of the wrs to learn all of the positions?  Milfy is with a hc who actually knows offense so he’s hidden.

Quite a few?  Just Elijah Moore to my knowledge.  More people quit on Hackett in 4 weeks than LaFleur in two years.  Sure most of it was probably Zach's fault, but that goes for both of them.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

And yet.....the offense performed better, sometimes significantly so, with worse than JAG alternatives under center. 

We had five games with 30+ points of offense from 2021-22.  4 of the 5 were produced with QBs other than Zach Wilson under center.

MLF was not the problem here, and might not even have been A problem here.

• Thumb Down 1

I think a lot of people will look at Zach’s trade situation and conclude that his seemingly low value is because he can’t play or isn’t good enough.  The simple fact is, it’s like anything else, why trade when it’s just as possible he’ll be released outright?  Or why trade and then be burdened with a pretty high salary for a guy who , at best, can only be projected as a back up?  The other 31 teams aren’t stupid.  And neither are the jets.  They know they’re in a bind.  Saleh has obviously made it clear he wants Zach off the team ( after puffing him up in three years of pressers) and moving on is the best move for Zach.  A different coach might see it a whole different way.  So we’ll see what happens.  IMO if Zach gets his head straight and truly desires to be a top flight qb he can.  The tools are there.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Like our HC, who compiled W/L records of other HCs who lost their QB1?  

image.jpeg.f5dfcffaa0bfd6a0d6d9bdf3295a423c.jpeg

ZW is still a young QB and our CS was utter dogsh-t.  Unfortunately for him, the Jets are all he's known since entering the NFL.

100%?!  Lol. 

How many things in life are 100%? 

I've said before I don't know if ZW will be good (though I do think he will be).  I just want to see what he can do in a reasonably good situation (instead of the joke of a situation he was in last year).  I admit he was awful his 1st 2 years here btw.  I think he showed something last year though but was held back by his supporting cast.

"Oh the embarrassment" of not being as good as Michael Jordan!

LOL

Saleh is a joke.

Zach Wilson sucks.

Just because Saleh sucks doesn't mean Wilson doesn't suck too.

IDK, the way you continually rush to the defense of Zach Wilson sure makes it sound like you think ZW's failures are 0% his fault.  Like 75% of peak @Hal or @Dunnie maybe.

• Post of the Week 1

His "value" such as it might be is being determined right now at auction.  At that point he will be "worth" exactly as much as the highest bid.  Wherever that ends up.

Zach defenders, if there are actually still any of those left will be forced to conclude that the other 30 teams must have been wrong to not offer more than the winning bid.  If anyone out there thinks he has a salvageable skill set then that is he is worth to them as that.  If there are no offers at all then all 31 other Teams/GMs in the NFL will have determined that Zach has a value of precisely zero.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, JetPotato said:

It's a smart move. It's done for PR purposes only.

Douglas already knows there is no market for Zach. He knows he'll have to release him post June 1. He doesn't want to outright say it. And frankly, if the agent is able to somehow pull it off... win/win. But Douglas has more important things to do addressing this disaster of a team than to find a trade for this guy that has no value. It's simply not worth his time.

For better or for worse, Zach is a high profile player in the league because of where he was drafted. This makes the Jets seem like they are accommodating and respectful to their players, despite their well-intended struggles. It gives the illusion that Zach was given every opportunity to find the right fit for himself before transactions officially begin. The hope is that helps their rep with others, which may help boost their chances in free agency.

That makes total sense.  Thanks for explaining this!

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

Jet blue conspiracy takes a shot to the sack lol 

It's not just Zach Fans who work hard to absolve him of responsibility.

He and his media/league proxies, do it too.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's not just Zach Fans who work hard to absolve him of responsibility.

He and his media/league proxies, do it too.

Zach does not have what it takes, but the Jets support their rookie QBs so poorly that you actually have to listen to this stuff seriously   

If Zach thinks he can pick the best team for him let him cut a deal with a team, take a pay cut and start from scratch   The Jets can trade him to that team for a 7th round pick swap but save the $5.5mm   

• Upvote 1