Calvin RIdley?

11 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Instead we should sign no talented players that are available 

Josh Reynolds would be a guy to sign that doesn’t come with the baggage. And maybe using day 3 picks on receivers instead of linebackers and DBs who will never play. 

• Upvote 1

Courtland Sutton is apparently on the trade block along with Jerry Jeudy. I’d rather move one of our 4s for Sutton at 12m a season and also sign Bourne/MVS for cheap instead of giving Ridley a 25mil/year deal

• Upvote 1

Ridley would be a nice pick up.  The talent is there, and I think he'll be better for the next couple of years than he was last year.  The rust from being suspended for 1.5 seasons is no joke.  He should be past it now.

Unfortunately, the Jets are not going to do much better.  The Jets need someone to pair with Garrett, and the JD/Saleh/Rodgers window is closing quickly.  It's tough to justify using the time to groom a rookie unless it's a blue chip prospect like Harrison.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Insanity. Douglas receiver signings have been Davis (retired) Lazard (uh yeah) and Hardman. Now you want to give a player who missed a season for personal reasons and another for gambling 20 million a year? Add on the fact Jacksonville is letting him leave. If you want to know why the Jets are a disaster, here’s a peek. 

The Jags want him. 

The Jags only have so many options.  They tagged Josh Allen.  They have Christan Kirk that is costing them 20+ million.    A TE that was very productive and are about to extend Trevor.

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I wasn't.  The Falcons got rid of him and now the Jaguars are letting him walk, all within a 3-year period.  Meanwhile as @Matt39 pointed out he missed 29 games due to non-football reasons (mental health break; gambling).

Just seems like a really risky guy to hand the multi-year deal he's likely to command, all for a guy who is good but not great.  Especially since there are few things more damaging to your mental health and ability to stay on the field than playing for the New York Jets.

The minute the Jets sign him just go ahead and put him on the Commissioner's Exempt List and get it out of the way.

The Jags want him.  The Jags gambled on him and it worked out.  The Jags just have too many obligations.  Trevor is about to paid.

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lulz.  Ridley isn't even that good, guy.  And we're not even saying "don't sign him".  Just don't be the dumba$$ team that hands him a 4-year deal only to watch him end up on season-ending IR by Week 3 of his first season.

Ridley would be a perfect wr2, dude had 1016 yards 8tds last yr. He should be a top priority for the Jets. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Josh Reynolds would be a guy to sign that doesn’t come with the baggage. And maybe using day 3 picks on receivers instead of linebackers and DBs who will never play. 

Josh Reynolds has been in the league for yrs and never had more than 618 yards but yes we should sign him over ridley. 

G.Wilson

Lazard

Reynolds

I just threw up thinking of us going into the season with that wr group.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why are the Jaguars letting him go?  And why is he already about to be on his 3rd team in a 3-year period?

I have mixed feelings about this. 

On one hand, I share your concerns and could see him being a disaster here. On the other hand, I think he's a perfect complement to Wilson on the field and believe and Wilson would make a nasty duo with Rodgers throwing them the ball. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Ridley would be a perfect wr2, dude had 1016 yards 8tds last yr. He should be a top priority for the Jets. 

Those aren't impressive numbers - particularly not on his 136 targets - and I imagine you can cut them in half next season anyways.  Season-ending IR trip risk for sure.  Inevitable.

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I have mixed feelings about this. 

On one hand, I share your concerns and could see him being a disaster here. On the other hand, I think he's a perfect complement to Wilson on the field and believe and Wilson would make a nasty duo with Rodgers throwing them the ball. 

Ridley would be fine here if rodgers stays healthy.  As soon as he’s hurt and the offense sucks he’ll be one of the disgruntled guys who undermines the coaches. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Those aren't impressive numbers - particularly not on his 136 targets - and I imagine you can cut them in half next season anyways.  Season-ending IR trip risk for sure.  Inevitable.

How is 1000 yards and 8 TDs not impressive?? The hell is going on here? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

How is 1000 yards and 8 TDs not impressive?? The hell is going on here? 

FFS dude.  On 136 targets that works out to 7.5 yards per target.  Which would rank him just inside the top 70 in the NFL last season.  

Even if you want to talk about "volume" mattering....you guys realize we play 17 games now, right?  1,000 yard seasons in today's NFL don't matter.  That's less than 60 yards a game over 17 played.  

You guys sure love your raw #'s don't you.

Wilson went 95 catches for 1042 yards while Ridley went 76 for 1016 plus 8 TD's. Yeah, not impressive

FFS dude.  On 136 targets that works out to 7.5 yards per target.  Which would rank him just inside the top 70 in the NFL last season.  
Even if you want to talk about "volume" mattering....you guys realize we play 17 games now, right?  1,000 yard seasons in today's NFL don't matter.
It's also 13.4 per reception.

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Wilson went 95 catches for 1042 yards while Ridley went 76 for 1016 plus 8 TD's. Yeah, not impressive emoji28.png

One had a reasonably good Trevor Lawrence the other had the worst QB I've ever seen.  These are not the same thing.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:
3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:
Even if you want to talk about "volume" mattering....you guys realize we play 17 games now, right?  1,000 yard seasons in today's NFL don't matter.

It's also 13.4 per reception.

oh wow

One had a reasonably good Trevor Lawrence the other had the worst QB I've ever seen.  These are not the same thing.  
oh wow
To say his numbers aren't impressive is being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. But do carry on.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if you want to talk about "volume" mattering....you guys realize we play 17 games now, right?  1,000 yard seasons in today's NFL don't matter.  That's less than 60 yards a game over 17 played.  

And 8TDs would rank him top 15. 1000 yards ranks him top 25.

Idk...saying these aren't impressive is kind of silly. If you want to say he's risky, fine but he can clearly play.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Idk...saying these aren't impressive is kind of silly. If you want to say he's risky, fine but he can clearly play.

And his 136 targets were t-16th most in the NFL.  So finishing 25th in yardage is pretty meh.  The TDs are nice.  

Saying his #'s aren't impressive is not the same thing as saying he can't play.  Of course he can play.  He's also not worth the expensive 4-year contract he's likely going to be demanding.

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Courtland Sutton is apparently on the trade block along with Jerry Jeudy. I’d rather move one of our 4s for Sutton at 12m a season and also sign Bourne/MVS for cheap instead of giving Ridley a 25mil/year deal

this is the move, for a 4th I would do that move for Sutton for sure 

1 minute ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Saying his #'s aren't impressive is not the same thing as saying he can't play.  Of course he can play.  He's also not worth the 4-year contract he's likely going to be demanding.

I think he's more of a WR1A than a true WR1, but would ball next to Wilson. He'd face far fewer double teams playing alongside another stud WR. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Ghost420 said:

Instead we should sign no talented players that are available 

He is as big of a risk as any of the injured olineman people are talking about, players, where they are oline or wr or whatever that are available in fa that have talent have other issues and are risks.

People are falling all over themselves about Ridley and not realizing he is a risk player.

Then if something goes wrong they will say things like 'How could they have known this would happen!'

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're right, **** it. Sign josh Reynolds that'll show en. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He is as big of a risk as any of the injured olineman people are talking about, players, where they are oline or wr or whatever that are available in fa that have talent have other issues and are risks.

People are falling all over themselves about Ridley and not realizing he is a risk player.

Then if something goes wrong they will say things like 'How could they have known this would happen!'

Noone is falling over themselves. He is the best fee agent wr available. Jets need wrs. This isn't rocket science. 

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Noone is falling over themselves. He is the best fee agent wr available. Jets need wrs. This isn't rocket science. 

Not one pundit or poster that I have seen calling for Ridlley has mentioned the risk of the player that I have seen.   Not one.

The risk is there.

As long as you are aware of the risk go for it and be ready for plan B if there is an issue and as along as the contract does not out weigh the risk.

10 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

You're right, **** it. Sign josh Reynolds that'll show en. 

Are there not 3 elite WR prospects in this class?  Maybe go get one of those.  And/or add one in the middle rounds too so we can maybe find our own Puka Nacua.

Fixing your WR issues in free agency is stupid.  Be prepared for MVS to be the best Douglas signs.

Big no thank you on Ridley. The guy to go after and change the entire dynamic of the offense was Mike Evans, but he's out of scope.

I'd rather spend #10 on Odunze and use the Ridley money on defense and a speedster like MVS to slide Lazard to WR4. Take some of the good OL at #72, #111, #113.

I don't think it's a secret that we're going to be in the Ridley sweepstakes, but it's unlikely he chooses us IMO.... I get the impression that landing him/not landing him will have a ripple effect in how the rest of our approach takes shape (FA Oline vs Draft Wrs etc)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why are the Jaguars letting him go?  And why is he already about to be on his 3rd team in a 3-year period?

Who cares at this point. We fans need to stop being logical. The annihilation of this team is inevitable. Just let them go “all in”, fail and get it over with. The only hope is a good head coach/gm and building the right way.

The analogy is, the world is ending and you want to bang as many hot chicks as possible despite all the STDs because it doesn’t matter anyways. That’s the culture that they built. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Jacksonville already did the homework on the one year deal. He’s not going back there. Unless Ridley is coming in a one year incentive laden deal, he’ll no

There are only so many dollars for a team with this many high-priced players, not to mention an upcoming $50-60MM/year contract for Lawrence (by the time they get that ironed out, which may be as early as this summer, to get in before another year or so of cap increases boosts that to almost $70MM).

They could surely restructure everyone to create enough space to sign Ridley (on top of backloading a deal for him) but they're not in the driver's seat in negotiations anymore since there's no threat of tagging him (they're using that on Allen). IOW it may not be that Jacksonville doesn't want him so much as Ridley wants to test the market: there's no more injury risk avoided by re-signing with them prior to FA, knowing he's easily the top WR target available with Evans signing his extension.

With this group, they're not necessarily in a position to blow him out of the water with such an offer he doesn't listen to offers from anyone else:

1. Kirk was already restructured once, resulting in his '24 hit now up to $24MM. Restructuring is doable again, of course, but they'd surely rather not make his hit untenable in '25. This isn't a now-or-never opportunity for Jacksonville in 2024.
  2. Tagging Allen makes his hit $24MM as well. They'd like to lock him up longer, which would lower that number, but the reality is they may have to have him carry that number through free agency (if not through the season).
  3. Scherff, like Kirk, also restructured last season so he has a $24MM cap hit himself (though only $16.5MM is new money; they could designate him a post-6/1 cut to drop his hit by that amount, but of course then they'd have to shop for a new guard who'd be a likely downgrade given the options out there).
  4. Olukun -- same as Scherff & Kirk, restructured last year and now has a $21MM cap number. They could extend him into his 30s, but right now they are focused on other players.
    • So those 4 players alone are $93MM.
  5. Cam Robinson could be extended to lower his $21MM cap hit. I don't think they're moving on from him, but extending him wouldn't be at any cost, particularly heading into a strong OL draft. Absent an extension or restructure on him, that's a non-QB, 5-player total of $114MM.
  6. AND they have to already be thinking of getting Lawrence locked up long-term early, before the numbers grow further. Backloaded as that will surely be, it'll also increase his current hit of just $12MM by virtue of the next bonus money alone.

They've publicly said they wanted to bring him back. With the cap increase official, Ridley (never mind his agent) knows he'll never be in a better position to get the top offer. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Are there not 3 elite WR prospects in this class?  Maybe go get one of those.  And/or add one in the middle rounds too so we can maybe find our own Puka Nacua.

Fixing your WR issues in free agency is stupid.  Be prepared for MVS to be the best Douglas signs.

I'll be surprised if anyone notable signs with this sh*t organization. I doubt MVS even does, probably got all the inside scoop from Hardman. 

• Upvote 1