*** The official 2024 free agency thread***

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Not sure how he did last year (pff scores) but was a pro bowler in 2021, he would 100% for sure be on my list of guys to look closely at.

Pff is promoted by gambling conglomerates for the perception of privileged information. The NFL helps prop it up to help sell the industry. Its amateur in qualitative analysis at best. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

What if Bakhtiari wants to be the Secretary of State instead? 

Him and Aaron are already talking to the CIA about how they’re gonna do it this time.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Pff is promoted by gambling conglomerates for the perception of privileged information. The NFL helps prop it up to help sell the industry. Its amateur in qualitative analysis at best. 

Perhaps but since the masses have no access to 'real' quantitative analysis it is all we have is it not?

Or do you have access to a site with much better info?  Share if you do.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Those who prefer Tyron Smith to Bakhtiari:

I don’t thank that dream is over yet.

Those who don’t want MVS:

I don’t think that nightmare is over yet.

If we sign MVS so help me god.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, yeah, it will probably suck until April to find out who are real #2 WR is.  

That being said, if we land a LT like Tyron Smith to finish the o-line, I think the flexibility it gives us at 10 is better than being stuck with overpaying someone in FA, and being forced to go OL in the draft.

I still think we should draft OT in the draft (assuming JD and the scouts believe in one of the guys who will be available to us).  Tyron Smith is an injury risk and I think Morgan Moses is in the final year of his deal.  If we can add an OT at 1.10 to AVT and Tippmann, that would give us 3 pieces to build around.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Untouchable said:

You’d be spending a Top 10 pick on a guy who would be a backup swing tackle for at least a year if all goes well.

If the Jets sign Smith, you have to go with an offensive weapon at #10, be it Odunze or Bowers most likely.

They’ve drafted Warren and Mitchell in back to back years as developmental OT’s and there’s nothing saying they can’t take one in the 3rd this year either.

I understand the rationale but I hate that every year our OL is a mess and we have a lot of that puzzle still left to solve.  If we have a chance to put a longer-term piece into place on the OL, I hope we do so.  That said, if we add to our weapinzz, I'm sure I'll be very happy on draft day.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I understand the rationale but I hate that every year our OL is a mess and we have a lot of that puzzle still left to solve.  If we have a chance to put a longer-term piece into place on the OL, I hope we do so.  That said, if we add to our weapinzz, I'm sure I'll be very happy on draft day.

I get that people have been pissed about the OL being in shambles but I think we’ve already made significant headway if AVT comes back healthy.

Tyron Smith gets banged up here and there. Not typically season ending stuff, just misses a couple of games now and again. If a dude like Warren has to step in for a game or two, I don’t think that’s the end of the world. He was a guy that always had starting potential, the knee injury his senior year is what knocked him down to the 4th round. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, yeah, it will probably suck until April to find out who are real #2 WR is.  

That being said, if we land a LT like Tyron Smith to finish the o-line, I think the flexibility it gives us at 10 is better than being stuck with overpaying someone in FA, and being forced to go OL in the draft.

How about we sign a Wr who is not a dog instead of a Rodgers buddy?  Boyd, or Samuel  I'd easily take OBJ or MVS.

I would like a vet Wr but not a stink fest Lazard version 2.0

• Upvote 1

Connor Williams

Arguably one of the best Centers in the game, but is questionable to be ready to start the season.

Would you roll the dice that he could be ready by the start, at the latest within the first quarter of the season?

Could play center, and push Tippman out, or could play guard and let Tippman grow at center.

Either way,  strength the o line.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How about we sign a Wr who is not a dog instead of a Rodgers buddy?  Boyd, or Samuel  I'd easily take OBJ or MVS.

I agree.  I wouldn’t rule any of those other names out other than Samuel.  I don’t think he’s on the short list.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It doesn’t matter who, me, JD Saleh or even Woody want. There is only one voice on this ship, and that’s why it is sinking faster than the Titanic. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Perhaps but since the masses have no access to 'real' quantitative analysis it is all we have is it not?

Or do you have access to a site with much better info?  Share if you do.

No. You can get the all 22 and watch the film. Anyone that's ever played a decent level of football and knows the game can do a good job that represents a grade based in reality. 

Qualitative analysis is not a hard science either so it's somewhat subjective. Ie what is a good block? What defines a 100 vs 75 on a block. Are you knowledgeable enough to understand route concepts and who's fault it is on certain plays etc. 

Pff, and to some degree football outsiders are in the business of selling " privileged" information. The NFL media pundits promote the information/ data to create the veneer of credibility. 

Its just another scam basically. Some of the quantitative data and analytics are useful. Or a QBs overall passer rating on third down etc. But coaches and front offices have their own data analysis. Its certainly not pff lol. they have their own data analysis depts 

9 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

No. You can get the all 22 and watch the film. Anyone that's ever played a decent level of football and knows the game can do a good job that represents a grade based in reality. 

Qualitative analysis is not a hard science either so it's somewhat subjective. Ie what is a good block? What defines a 100 vs 75 on a block. Are you knowledgeable enough to understand route concepts and who's fault it is on certain plays etc. 

Pff, and to some degree football outsiders are in the business of selling " privileged" information. The NFL media pundits promote the information/ data to create the veneer of credibility. 

Its just another scam basically. Some of the quantitative data and analytics are useful. Or a QBs overall passer rating on third down etc. But coaches and front offices have their own data analysis. Its certainly not pff lol. they have their own data analysis depts 

No sorry saying go get the film is silly becasue to look at one LT like Humphries i have to look at all the tackles in the league.

A flawed org with flawed evals?  I've seen outliers in some stuff that makes no sense at all but at least it gives a person some compartive info vs zero.

• Upvote 2

With Simpson and Moses being more gap/power OLmen…

…I’m starting to wonder if the Jets sign Trent Brown, who I didn’t think was a scheme fit before. They should be planning for more power OL scheme with the additions they’ve made.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

No sorry saying go get the film is silly becasue to look at one LT like Humphries i have to look at all the tackles in the league.

A flawed org with flawed evals?  I've seen outliers in some stuff that makes no sense at all but at least it gives a person some compartive info vs zero.

I agree it's not useless.

12 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

If we sign Kevin Zeitler to play RG, and kick AVT out to LT, we’d have 3/5’s of the Raven’s OL. Which I believe ranked #1 in rushing yards last year. Just a thought. 

Zeitler for one year is cool. Little old with Moses and Zeitler. But it's certainly an improvement