*** The official 2024 free agency thread***

Leave AVT at RG.

sign a LT and assume he platoons with Carter Warren, since the likely suspects are injury prone  

trade down and get a second round pick.  

first round and second round picks are bpa OT or WR only.   

we could end up with a Guyton and Pearsall for example. 

We should assume this is a one year rental of Moses so drafting a T is ok   There  be lots of OL injuries   

hope we can get mosley’s or Clark’s replacement in round 3  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Qualitative analysis is not a hard science either so it's somewhat subjective.

The issue here are the tools, how they are used and the lack of hard science mathematics.

For instance...two players sacks numbers may be 10 or 11 in a given year.  The guy with 11 is not necessarily better than the guy with 10.

Now, if the data sets are both normally distributed, and test as such, and the standard deviation is more than 1, you can mathematically prove 11 is better than 10.

Things are not always normally distributed.  There are also very few people on this planet that can use other forms of statistics to analyze data that follow other distributions.  Even those who can have to find others to validate their models.  Making this even harder.

Not to mention Cray and Massively Parallel systems can cost more than the salary cap to operate  :)

• Upvote 1

I hope JD didn’t screw the pooch letting QJ leave

The Cleveland Browns have agreed to terms on a one-year deal with former New York Jets defensive lineman Quinton Jefferson, a source told ESPN's Jake Trotter.

Jefferson, 30, enjoyed one of his most productive seasons in 2023. After being released by the Seattle Seahawks (his second stint with the team), he signed a one-year, $3.6 million contract with the Jets and wound up playing 14 games -- all starts.

Jefferson recorded a career-high six sacks and had 34 tackles before his season ended prematurely in December, when he suffered tears to both sides of his groin, each tear requiring surgery. At the end of the season, he expressed optimism about his chances of returning for OTAs in the spring.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

The issue here are the tools, how they are used and the lack of hard science mathematics.

For instance...two players sacks numbers may be 10 or 11 in a given year.  The guy with 11 is not necessarily better than the guy with 10.

Now, if the data sets are both normally distributed, and test as such, and the standard deviation is more than 1, you can mathematically prove 11 is better than 10.

Things are not always normally distributed.  There are also very few people on this planet that can use other forms of statistics to analyze data that follow other distributions.  Even those who can have to find others to validate their models.  Making this even harder.

Not to mention Cray and Massively Parallel systems can cost more than the salary cap to operate  :)

Nerd

32 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I hope JD didn’t screw the pooch letting QJ leave

The Cleveland Browns have agreed to terms on a one-year deal with former New York Jets defensive lineman Quinton Jefferson, a source told ESPN's Jake Trotter.

Jefferson, 30, enjoyed one of his most productive seasons in 2023. After being released by the Seattle Seahawks (his second stint with the team), he signed a one-year, $3.6 million contract with the Jets and wound up playing 14 games -- all starts.

Jefferson recorded a career-high six sacks and had 34 tackles before his season ended prematurely in December, when he suffered tears to both sides of his groin, each tear requiring surgery. At the end of the season, he expressed optimism about his chances of returning for OTAs in the spring.

He was on a one year deal here, coming off two penis enlargement surgeries and Cleveland only wants to risk one year on him, too. I think the team will manage. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Today would be a great day to sign Tyron Smith. Speak this into existence JN.

Season 1 Dancing GIF by Outlander

I think the Mosely deal is foreshadowing Tyron Smith. This gives JD alot of flexibility to trade down in the draft and recoup a second or third rounder in a deep draft. Probably try and get OBJ or MVS as a three and draft a WR. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Wit said:

I think the Mosely deal is foreshadowing Tyron Smith. This gives JD alot of flexibility to trade down in the draft and recoup a second or third rounder in a deep draft. Probably try and get OBJ or MVS as a three and draft a WR. 

love all of this except the WR talk haha

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wit said:

I doubt we get Tyron but I'd be fine with MVS who may have something to prove and a rookie

5 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I doubt we get Tyron but I'd be fine with MVS who may have something to prove and a rookie

MVS is the one WR I absolutely don't want.

So, we absolutely will get him.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Ok on the first two, the third one, I jump,

Why?

Dude is a game breaker who can also block his ass off and is a team leader.

Conklin is a solid player, but he’s nearly 30 and entering the last year of his deal.

If the Jets further solidify the OL and bring in another quality wideout like Boyd, then I don’t get why Bowers is such a no-go for so many.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Anyone think that maybe OL aren’t excited to come here because Carter sucks, MetLife turf sucks, and OL regularly drop like flies on this team? All things being equal, I’d look elsewhere, too. 

Sad but true.

Carter seems universally despised among players who have played for him.

And the MetLife turf is like walking into a buzzsaw.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Anyone think that maybe OL aren’t excited to come here because Carter sucks, MetLife turf sucks, and OL regularly drop like flies on this team? All things being equal, I’d look elsewhere, too. 

Definitely. Throw in Saleh and Hackett as well and it's a revolting idea.

2 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

I honestly just think it's some middle aged dude making up the numbers in the basement at pff headquarters

office space my stapler GIF by Maudit

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Why?

Dude is a game breaker who can also block his ass off and is a team leader.

Conklin is a solid player, but he’s nearly 30 and entering the last year of his deal.

If the Jets further solidify the OL and bring in another quality wideout like Boyd, then I don’t get why Bowers is such a no-go for so many.

He's a TE in the 1rd rd where so many others have not lived up to expectations here.

He is awesome on college but a little light in the ass so his blocking may not hold up in the NFL.

People have seen other teams not have the success they hoped for with 1st rd TE's lately (see atlanta)

and....well

New York Jets: First Round Tight Ends:

2008: #30 - Dustin Keller

2000: #27 - Anthony Becht

1995: #9 - Kyle Brady

1992: #15 Johnny Mitchell

Smith and Bakhtiari should be priorities for the LT position.

Around the Super Bowl, there were talks of Donovan Smith wanting to finish out his career playing for the Jets.  He grew up a Jets fan.  Could be a cheaper option if they were still looking to draft a LT at 10.  He has injury issues and not on the same talent level as Smith or Bakhtiari but has starting experience and could be solid depth / 6th lineman if they were to find another option via the draft.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

mike williams/boyd AND samuel - need 2 WRs.

gotta get someone that can pretend to be a LT before the draft.  bahktiari probably - that could open up some draft freedom (trade down)

Can we stop with this Bahktiari nonsense? Guy's on one leg at this point in his career.

• Post of the Week 1

Trade Zach Wilson for Desmond Ridder?  Ridder is a better QB3 than some of the draft prospects projected to go on day 3.  Plus it would free up some cap space.  Atlanta's OC, Zac Robinson, is believed to be a QB whisperer that could try to fix Wilson.  They could have a backup to Cousins that wouldn't challenge him for playing time.

EDIT:  Didn't see the news that he got traded before I posted this

Just now, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Atlanta loading up. That offense should be fun. 

So Atlanta is Cousins and Heineke then, no developmental guy at all for 2024. 

Wonder if they'll pick a guy at QB late now to stash on their P.S. as a developmental kid.

Will Ridder make the Cardinals roster?  They have Clayton Tune, a guy I liked alot as a late-round dev. guy last year.

If AZ prefers Ridder, and dumps Tune, could be a kid we could stash on OUR P.S. in 2024 perhaps.