Jets sign OL John Simpson

36 minutes ago, hawk said:

Prev. team: Ravens  Age: 27  Ht: 6-3  Wt: 330

Simpson plays with the strength and physicality of an old-school guard. He can control with his upper body and strong hands but can also pull, lead and adjust. He needs to become more consistent, but he moves defenders in both the run and pass game. He's trending to be a really good player, and the Ravens tend to let players sign elsewhere (and collect compensatory picks). Right guard Kevin Zeitler is also a free agent. — Mueller

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Sign option D as @Mogglezputs it and was on pace for the most penalized in the league and you are happy? Laken was far better then this dude and thats saying something.

On a pace doesn’t work here.  
Have to love the flip flopping from Laken is the worst ever to the guy you know nothing about is worse.  Lol

Just now, SackExchangeNYJ said:

This is quite true.

I do have to admit, I love Simpson's violence in the run game. And not many sacks. But the holds? Damn...

17 games. 10 holds. Gave up 1 sack. At least he knows WHEN to hold.  Better to hold than get your QB injured.  Gotta take the good with the bad. 9M per year isnt breaking the bank either. Looks to be a beast in the run game.  We gonna run the ball down teams throats with this OL.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So, in the time we’ve had AVT drafted as a LG, we have signed 2 LGs and played AVT out of position and into 2 season-ending injuries.

#Competence #OLGuruJD

8 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

And that will stop. JD has said he willNOT be hopping AVT back and forth. AVT's best position is guard where he was drafted to play.  An OL of LT?    LG Simpson C Tippman RG AVT RT Fuaga is a minstorus run game OL.   And a very good running team is very dangerous with a QB who excels at play action like Rodgers.  Now lets get that LT in place.  

The only problem with LT is that it seems much more difficult to fill this offseason. All of the free agent LTs have age and/or injury issues, and the best ones in the draft may not make it to the Jets. RT is far more viable, both in terms of free agents and in draft availability. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Yea, I know, right?

It's like some of these guys don't have enough faith in the braintrust that brought you Mekhi Becton, Laken Tomlinson, Ryan Kalil, Duane Brown and Greg Van Roten.

Or forgets all the good pick ups like GW, Sauce, AVT, Hall, Reed, lil Q, whatever.  
sarcasm noted though

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

17 games. 10 holds. Gave up 1 sack. At least he knows WHEN to hold.  Better to hold than get your QB injured.  Gotta take the good with the bad. 9M per year isnt breaking the bank either. Looks to be a beast in the run game.  We gonna run the ball down teams throats with this OL.

I do love his mobility and feet in the run game. His pulls are sick, and he does very well getting to the second level. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

The only problem with LT is that it seems much more difficult to fill this offseason. All of the free agent LTs have age and/or injury issues, and the best ones in the draft may not make it to the Jets. RT is far more viable, both in terms of free agents and in draft availability. 

Theres a few still out there that can be had.  Trent Brown/Cam Robinson, Tyron Smith/Baktahri. No ideal but they could hold fort if a couple are signed for insurance as well.  

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

On a pace doesn’t work here.  
Have to love the flip flopping from Laken is the worst ever to the guy you know nothing about is worse.  Lol

Laken was bad but this guy is worse... 11 penalties, the Ravens fans are super excited he is finally gone. He is their Laken... And we are suppose to be excited? He had 11 penalties the 2nd most in the league so yeah... on pace.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

They trade up to get AVT to play LG.

Yet they're giving guys like John Simpson 18m contracts to play LG.

Joe Douglas has no clue of what he's doing.

AVT was switched to RG. Have you been in a cave with Rodgers? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

And how many of them play offensive line? 

Just the one, right? And he's about as reliable as a Cybertruck.

"Noted"?

steve buscemi people to kill GIF

Sheesh

Bad injureis to AVT. No doubt. But he's a young kid and has proven he's an elite guard with huge potential.  Stop with the DebbieDowner stuff.  Its really pissy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Theres a few still out there that can be had.  Trent Brown/Cam Robinson, Tyron Smith/Baktahri. No ideal but they could hold fort if a couple are signed for insurance as well.  

Yes, but even Cam and Brown have some question marks. I'd actually feel better about Cam than anyone else. I'd have loved Tyron Smith or Bakhtiari a few years and a few injuries ago.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

AVT was switched to RG. Have you been in a cave with Rodgers? 

I do think AVT's absolute best natural position is LG. But that is where Simpson is most comfortable, so he will almost certainly be on the right side. Still, that interior is pretty solid.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Bad injureis to AVT. No doubt. But he's a young kid and has proven he's an elite guard with huge potential.  Stop with the DebbieDowner stuff.  Its really pissy. 

Of the three signings, Simpson is cool. He fits the "unleash the Breece" mantra I have for the offseason. 

But like, the reality I was hoping for was a Damien Woody + Alan Faneca type offseason. 

That's not happening. 

And it's frustrating to watch some posters praise Joe Douglas for every move or non-move. Like why not be objective? The Adams trade and the draft from two years ago? Epic. 

His handling of the offensive line? Abysmal. 

• Post of the Week 1

The fact that Joe Douglas signed him is already a strike against him, as it had been with any O Lineman he's signed during his Jets tenure

Sent from my SM-F731U using Tapatalk

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Of the three signings, Simpson is cool. He fits the "unleash the Breece" mantra I have for the offseason. 

But like, the reality I was hoping for was a Damien Woody + Alan Faneca type offseason. 

That's not happening. 

And it's frustrating to watch some posters praise Joe Douglas for every move or non-move. Like why not be objective? The Adams trade and the draft from two years ago? Epic. 

His handling of the offensive line? Abysmal. 

I dont know. He did a por job at beginning trying to get the OL in shape. But was it really his fault it didnt work out? Becton - injured. AVT -back to back injuries in 22 and 23.  Really tough luck. The bad with JD was upping all that money to Brown.  That was really dumb.  

I'm just going to hold out hope that Simpson's high penalty numbers could be partially attributed to Jackson's running around, as there always tends to be more holds with scrambling QBs.  I honestly have no idea if that's really the case or not, so we'll see how it goes and if those numbers drop, but at this point might as well hope for the best with the current regime being given one more chance.  The OL moves could easily make or break the season.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

I'm just going to hold out hope that Simpson's high penalty numbers could be partially attributed to Jackson's running around, as there always tends to be more holds with scrambling QBs.  I honestly have no idea if that's really the case or not, so we'll see how it goes and if those numbers drop, but at this point might as well hope for the best with the current regime being given one more chance.  The OL moves could easily make or break the season.

A quick release guy like Rodgers can definitely cut down on holds. 

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

I dont know. He did bomb trying to get the OL in shape. But was it really his fault it didnt work out? Becton - injured. AAVT -back to back injuries in 22 a

Didn't AVT get injured both times we moved him to tackle? 

Our inability to sign, draft or trade for reliable starting caliber tackles kinda forced our hand with AVT - twice. And twice it cost us our best offensive lineman.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I dont know. He did bomb trying to get the OL in shape. But was it really his fault it didnt work out? Becton - injured. AAVT -back to back injuries in 22 a

Becton was a bust even when healthy, as we were all reminded of throughout last year.

Popular opinion is AVT's injuries have been in large part due to him needing to be constantly moved around due to JD's continual failures to properly address the OL.  He still also hasn't yet justified the cost of trading up and using a high first for an interior OL.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Becton was a bust even when healthy, as we were all reminded of throughout last year.

Popular opinion is AVT's injuries have been in large part due to him needing to be constantly moved around due to JD's continual failures to properly address the OL.  He still also hasn't yet justified the cost of trading up and using a high first for an interior OL.

Becton played very well in his 1st year.  The injuries really have taken their toll on him.  Ihave no trouble with taking AVT in round 1. He's an extremly refined athlete and was stellar as a rookie. Again, injuries set him back.   Not holding that against JD.  they are just part of the game.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Again, Becton played well in his 1st year.  We weere all excited for his continued development.  AVT is an anomoly. Not many guys can play tackel and guard as effectively as he can.  Of course, he's a better guard.  I dont think he git hurt becaur he 'played' tackle. He just gut hurt.  He's more effective as a guard so just leave him there and plan for depth at tackle. this has been JD's biggest flaw. 

Like a “cooperating witness” JD either knows he has been granted immunity from Woody, or he and Saleh are absolute toast on black Monday

Other than Legatron these moves he’s been making won’t make a difference at all

He’s throwing money out the window for scrubs 

• Upvote 1