Jets sign OL John Simpson

Douglas basically traded one season of Tomlinson for 1-1/2 seasons with Simpson.  They both had a lot of starts and snaps last season.  Pff, for what it’s worth, grades Simpson a little higher.  I think it’s a good signing.

• Upvote 1

This is a scouting report on Simpson. He's got decent tools, but I can see why he gets so many holding penalties. His hands are constantly late and outside. I don't know why that technique still hasn't been corrected unless he just has incredibly slow hands and the defender always gets there first.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Go to the thread about his signing, and click the video of him and the reporter from SI. 
Do that and let me know what you think about him off the field.

As far as on it? 1st round pick, option not picked up for apparently very good reasons.

We also have Perrion Winfrey.  Maybe they can form a mens group together.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Yea, I know, right?

It's like some of these guys don't have enough faith in the braintrust that brought you Mekhi Becton, Laken Tomlinson, Ryan Kalil, Duane Brown and Greg Van Roten.

Fant and Moses were both good additions. Becton never being healthy hurt us a lot from a retention standpoint

25 minutes ago, maury77 said:

This is a scouting report on Simpson. He's got decent tools, but I can see why he gets so many holding penalties. His hands are constantly late and outside. I don't know why that technique still hasn't been corrected unless he just has incredibly slow hands and the defender always gets there first.

Not to worry, we have a great OL coach.😎

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Based on my 5 minutes of Twitter research, Simpson appears to be a different mold that we have targeted before.  Not super quick laterally.  Tested very well in strength type tests.  Seems to be a mauler/mean streak type.

That’s a good observation and something the Jets sorely need.  When was the last time we had some nasties on the OL?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Becton was a bust even when healthy, as we were all reminded of throughout last year.

Popular opinion is AVT's injuries have been in large part due to him needing to be constantly moved around due to JD's continual failures to properly address the OL.  He still also hasn't yet justified the cost of trading up and using a high first for an interior OL.

your work in the medical field and have factual info that moving him around the line caused his tear. your dillusional!!!

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

"We don't need OL.  Last year's OL was really good, but it was held back by ZW."

Exactly, that’s why all the teams with dominant O lines are gonna start a bidding war for him. “Can’t wait!” 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Seems to be competent.  Really that's all we can hope for right now understanding how many holes there are on OL.

Get me five competent players, even if not special, on the OL and it should be more than enough for AR to thrive.  It would be a major upgrade over anything we've had in a decade.

Haven’t seen you in awhile.  Good to have you back.

Good post.  I’ll take competent at up to $8M per year than overpay a Guard at $20M per year.  The overpay is what got us in the Laken mess.

• Upvote 3

I like it.  Only 26 and $9M isn't too bad of a number for a starting OL.  Starting every game for an elite Ravens offense is a plus as well.  For me, filling that last IOL spot was either going to be a move like this or using our 3rd/trade up from the 3rd.  For a win-now team, this is obviously the safer route.

People will probably be skeptical of this guy until he proves it on the field, especially after seeing how Tomlinson panned out, but IMO we could have done a lot worse here.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, bonkertons said:

I like it.  Only 26 and $9M isn't too bad of a number for a starting OL.  Starting every game for an elite Ravens offense is a plus as well.  For me, filling that last IOL spot was either going to be a move like this or using our 3rd/trade up from the 3rd.  For a win-now team, this is obviously the safer route.

People will probably be skeptical of this guy until he proves it on the field, especially after seeing how Tomlinson panned out, but IMO we could have done a lot worse here.

I think a lot of Jets fans have become obsessed with rebuilding that 2009/2010 line.

Would it be awesome to have the best OL in the league? Sure. Absolutely.

But you don’t need that

We need competency and for these f*cking guys to stay healthy.

I think the most realistic route from here is the Jets sign Bakhtiari and draft a dude like Fuaga at #10.

LT Bakhtiari 

LG Simpson 

C Tippmann

RG AVT

RT Fuaga

Obviously there are injury concerns with AVT and Bakhtiari, but that’s a pretty damn solid line if they hold up physically with the potential to be VERY good. I honestly feel reasonably comfortable with Warren as the swing, especially heading into Year 2.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This.

The problem with Jets' OL penalties has been the Jets could barely get 10 yards for a first down without any flags, so getting pushed backwards 5-10 yards made it an automatic punt.

Jawaan Taylor set the NFL pace for penalties last year with 17 (PFR lists 19, plus 4 more in the 3 playoff games leading to the Super Bowl). Case in point with Simpson: vs Jax was flagged for a stupid unsportsmanlike penalty on 1st & goal from the 2 on a 1 yard run, that pushed Baltimore back to the 16. Next play was a 16 yard TD pass to Likely. When you have a serious QB, you can get past it. When you have past Jets' QBs, they may as well line up for the FG on 2nd down rather than risk the turnover and/or sacks that take them out of range & remove the 3 pts off the board.

Check out 9 these all-pros (using 2023 data from PFR, who doesn't count declined penalties in their totals)

• Trent Williams: 10 penalties last year.
  • Laremy Tunsil: 11 penalties in 13 1/2 games.
  • Tyler Smith: 10 penalties in 13 1/2 games.
  • Mailata: 8 penalties
  • Dickerson: 7 penalties (had 13 the year before when Phi went to the SB)
  • Sewell, Humphrey, Kelce, Nelson: 6 penalties.

It's not wholly how many Simpson had; it's how many more than a typical (or even a typical all pro) lineman. No doubt 11 is definitely a lot, but it's about 1-5 more than many others who are (rightly) far better regarded, and that's not as dramatic a difference penalty-wise on some 1100 offensive snaps.

Simpson wasn't on my OL target list either, but if he can stay on the field, keep Rodgers on the field (yes with the occasional holding penalty to further that goal), help maul paths for Breece, and then his handful of extra handsy penalties can be tolerated over some 1100+ snaps. 

Said another way, good team were able to overcome penalties with big chunk plays.  The jets needed every single break they could get b/c with wilson they couldn’t generate first downs even with only 10 yards needed

• Upvote 1

Good signing because it's not expensive, it's only for 2 years and he's under 30.

The signing is not going to move the needle by itself but we need young quality-depth-cost-effective signings this offseason rather than a couple of big "splash" moves.

So this fits the criteria.

Eh, at least it's an O-Lineman I guess.  The tons of penalties means he'll fit right in on the undisciplined Saleh Jets I suppose, lol.

Hopefully he's an actual upgrade, unlike many of our previous O-line decisions. 

I'm honestly not very familiar with him, and protecting possibly the best scrambling/running QB in NFL history can cover up a lot for an O-interior lineman.

• WTF? 1

Reading a lot of good posts, scouting reports and analysis:

The pros seem to outweigh the cons when you take a deeper dive past name recognition.

1. Durable

2. Average starting guard ….

3. Young with remaining upside 

4. Affordable, not a break the bank guy

5. ** Strong anchor inside to create an actual pocket (something Laken and McGovern lacked)

6. Above average pass blocker 

7. Strong and mean (it’s been a long time)

A lot to like:  durable, good player, good value with more upside than downside. 

40 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Said another way, good team were able to overcome penalties with big chunk plays.  The jets needed every single break they could get b/c with wilson they couldn’t generate first downs even with only 10 yards needed

Brevity is for the lazy and/or those who don't know as many words, jerky.

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This.

The problem with Jets' OL penalties has been the Jets could barely get 10 yards for a first down without any flags, so getting pushed backwards 5-10 yards made it an automatic punt.

Jawaan Taylor set the NFL pace for penalties last year with 17 (PFR lists 19, plus 4 more in the 3 playoff games leading to the Super Bowl). Case in point with Simpson: vs Jax was flagged for a stupid unsportsmanlike penalty on 1st & goal from the 2 on a 1 yard run, that pushed Baltimore back to the 16. Next play was a 16 yard TD pass to Likely. When you have a serious QB, you can get past it. When you have past Jets' QBs, they may as well line up for the FG on 2nd down rather than risk the turnover and/or sacks that take them out of range & remove the 3 pts off the board.

Check out 9 these all-pros (using 2023 data from PFR, who doesn't count declined penalties in their totals)

• Trent Williams: 10 penalties last year.
  • Laremy Tunsil: 11 penalties in 13 1/2 games.
  • Tyler Smith: 10 penalties in 13 1/2 games.
  • Mailata: 8 penalties
  • Dickerson: 7 penalties (had 13 the year before when Phi went to the SB)
  • Sewell, Humphrey, Kelce, Nelson: 6 penalties.

It's not wholly how many Simpson had; it's how many more than a typical (or even a typical all pro) lineman. No doubt 11 is definitely a lot, but it's about 1-5 more than many others who are (rightly) far better regarded, and that's not as dramatic a difference penalty-wise on some 1100 offensive snaps.

Simpson wasn't on my OL target list either, but if he can stay on the field, keep Rodgers on the field (yes with the occasional holding penalty to further that goal), help maul paths for Breece, and then his handful of extra handsy penalties can be tolerated over some 1100+ snaps. 

Thank you for your service. You bring glimmers of hope my friend.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

So basically... factoring in Laken's dead cap, it's a straight up swap of Laken for Simpson.   And then Bakhitiari will be brought in to be a younger version of Duane Brown.

Same. Exact. Team.

No, you don't really factor the dead cap, though, unless the Jets had no one left they could restructure or cut and/or the NFL as a whole ceases to exist after the 2024 season. In practice, they have several such players (including Simpson at the time of signing, I might add).

Laken was $13MM salary plus $11MM in dead cap that was hitting no matter what. $24MM in total cap hits to keep him another season.

Simpson maxes out at $9MM for the season if he hits all incentives, which would be $4MM less.

The terms aren't released yet, but even reaching incentives it may be that the contract is effectively a 1 year $8MM contract - almost half of that backloaded to 2025 - with a non-guaranteed $10MM option year for 2025 at the team's pleasure. In that case his cap hit would be somewhere around $4.5MM for this season. Next year it'd be $13.5MM, or $3.5MM dead cap to cut him instead, but in either case there'll be no $5MM dead cap for Tomlinson.

That's more speculation already than is needed. Tomlinson was awful. Hopefully Simpson is much less awful. 

• Upvote 2