Jets sign Tyron Smith

8 hours ago, bonkertons said:

No one is saying the OL is complete.  Everyone is saying the starting OL is in place, which it is.  You can add depth, but spending a 1st rounder on depth is a waste of a prime asset.  You could add a guy who could step in and give you 800+ yards receiving but instead could end up with a tackle who stands on the sidelines all year.  

Go sign a swing tackle and draft Odunze or Bowers at 10.  This should be as automatic as it gets.  Worry about our 2025 LT in 2025.  

But last year we did exactly that. Could’ve got a starting WR. Instead drafted a backup DE

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

But last year we did exactly that. Could’ve got a starting WR. Instead drafted a backup DE

Slot WR at #15. JD was trying to trade back but no one was making an offer. Positional value on Edge > Slot WR. Let it go.

What we truly need is a solid #2 WR accross from GW

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Last year their jobs weren't on the line, and still a rotational edge is still a guarantee to see the field.  If you draft a LT you're basically saying Warren was a waste of a pick.  I don't see them doing that.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Literally all tape I’ve watched of bowers the announcers say he’s 235.

And he measured in at 6’3 243 at the combine.

Conklin is 6’3 250 and I don’t see a bunch of complaints about how small he is.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

Last year their jobs weren't on the line, and still a rotational edge is still a guarantee to see the field.  If you draft a LT you're basically saying Warren was a waste of a pick.  I don't see them doing that.  

Not necessarily and in this scenario he could be the developmental future RT behind Moses.

I think it all depends on their board and who is there, not necessarily dependent on position.

This makes signing Williams or Boyd at WR all the more important so we are not beholden to a position come draft day.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

And he measured in at 6’3 243 at the combine.

Conklin is 6’3 250 and I don’t see a bunch of complaints about how small he is.

Conklin is a JAG.  I like bowers I think he will be good in the nfl but his game in college was largely predicated on YAC. His comp is Kittle but Kittle is a bigger player and also a great in-line blocker

• Upvote 2

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Not necessarily and in this scenario he could be the developmental future RT behind Moses.

I think it all depends on their board and who is there, not necessarily dependent on position.

This makes signing Williams or Boyd at WR all the more important so we are not beholden to a position come draft day.

All of these wr/ot signings are short term and truth, that’s what FA is, plugging holes for the next 2 years.  Whatever the jets do at 10, or 12 or wherever they pick, if they pick a good player that’s a win.  If they go OL, if that guy becomes a good LT that’s a win.  If they wind up picking bowers and he’s the weapon we hope he is, then great.  Clearly what’s set this franchise back is becton and wilson b/c jd had to go out and pay a fortune to fix those positions. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Conklin is a JAG.  I like bowers I think he will be good in the nfl but his game in college was largely predicated on YAC. His comp is Kittle but Kittle is a bigger player and also a great in-line blocker

Kittle was less than an inch taller and weighed four pounds more.  Bigger yes, but not exactly a different sized player. I'm not really advocating for the guy, but the idea that he is too small because he is 3/4" shorter and 4 lbs lighter than Kittle seems a bit much. 

They should sign a WR.  IMO, just one and preferably not a slot.  I want no part of Renfrow blocking the roster.  Any 2nd WR they sign needs to be on a contract they can cut at the end of camp.  At that point they should be drafting the player they think will be special.  If that is Bowers fine.  If it is Odunze fine.  It also might be Fauga if they really think he can pass block.  He run blocking seems to fit in very well with what they are trying to do and he can compete with Moses and Simpson for a slot and then step in next year, or when (not if) there is an injury.  They have to pick somebody and put their name on it, not hide behind the pick that the talking heads like.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Kittle was less than an inch taller and weighed four pounds more.  Bigger yes, but not exactly a different sized player. I'm not really advocating for the guy, but the idea that he is too small because he is 3/4" shorter and 4 lbs lighter than Kittle seems a bit much. 

They should sign a WR.  IMO, just one and preferably not a slot.  I want no part of Renfrow blocking the roster.  Any 2nd WR they sign needs to be on a contract they can cut at the end of camp.  At that point they should be drafting the player they think will be special.  If that is Bowers fine.  If it is Odunze fine.  It also might be Fauga if they really think he can pass block.  He run blocking seems to fit in very well with what they are trying to do and he can compete with Moses and Simpson for a slot and then step in next year, or when (not if) there is an injury.  They have to pick somebody and put their name on it, not hide behind the pick that the talking heads like.

I also wonder how a guy like Bryan thomas jr is valued.  He’s got the size, speed and (presumably) hands.  He would be a perfect target if the jets could trade back a few spots.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

My sauces. Jets will probably post it today or tomorrow morn I would think. He was in the building, signed it, took his photos. Rest easy.

Baby Babies GIF

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, bonkertons said:

No one is saying the OL is complete.  Everyone is saying the starting OL is in place, which it is.  You can add depth, but spending a 1st rounder on depth is a waste of a prime asset.  You could add a guy who could step in and give you 800+ yards receiving but instead could end up with a tackle who stands on the sidelines all year.  

Go sign a swing tackle and draft Odunze or Bowers at 10.  This should be as automatic as it gets.  Worry about our 2025 LT in 2025.  

Let's be real there's no way in heck Morgan Moses and Tyron Smith play 17 games each this season

and if we're being really honest AVT is suspect too 

the line "replaced" three starters but two of them are 1 year rentals and AVT has missed the better part of the last 2 seasons 

we know someone's going to miss time the question is do they want Carter Warren and Jake Hanson being the subs or, ya know, someone good? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Let's be real there's no way in heck Morgan Moses and Tyron Smith play 17 games each this season

the line "replaced" three starters but two of them are 1 year rentals and AVT has missed the better part of the last 2 seasons 

we know someone's going to miss time the question is do they want Carter Warren and Jake Hanson being the subs or, ya know, someone good? 

Warren and Schweitzer Would dress for a game today. 

They don’t have a game today 

Id guess they add  2 more in free agency and 1 in the draft 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yet, if the jets took a tackle in round 1 and threw him at guard, we’d all be complaining why the jets never have any good weapons when they’re playing teams that have 3-5 viable weapons.  This is the time to get one . 

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Definitely need more quality on the OL.

Joe Douglas doesn’t need to hit a HR at #10 but he can’t afford to strikeout (big ticket / turnstile) either.

I’d settle for a 2R double down the line or who am I kidding, probably a bunt single 🤣

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Warren and Schweitzer Would dress for a game today. 

They don’t have a game today 

Id guess they add  2 more in free agency and 1 in the draft 

why can't they just add another WR in FA? like Williams or Boyd? 

All-in year does a rookie WR even know the NFL route tree? Do they know Rodgers' hot routes and implied reads? 

Rodgers is notoriously sh*t at being patient with rookie WR