Jets sign Tyron Smith

13 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

And others who will tell you these crazy things. Truth is people want to play and be paid on a well run team. Joe runs the team well despite the injury bug. New Year and these FA moves were much needed. Great job by Joe

11 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Actually every singing this year has great. 

Woody Johnson has taken control this offseason, and guided JD with a steady hand.

Thank you Mr. Johnson! Thank you!

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Incentives count against the cap.  I wonder how many are easily obtainable.  

Are they allowed to do a games played bonus? If so, I’ll bet that’s where the $13.5 mil in incentives are. 
$800,000 bonus per each game played would cover it.

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

This would be smart considering you have 2 aged bookends and Alt could fill in if needed at either RT or LT. Also, Tyron may just retire the following year. 

Smith and Moses didnt come here to be backups. you cant pick a OT at 10 to ride the bench. if your worried about injuries you sign a swing tackle in FA. we can worry about the 2025 OL when we get to 2025. 

i dont know about college football but the way everyone acts about Alt he sounds like a day 1 starter. i dont think you can sign guys like Moses and Smith and then a month later say sorry your on the bench while Alt starts. and if hes so good you cant keep him as a backup in case of an injury. 

i think the OL at 10 ship has sailed. theres got to be a skill position player good enough to pick at 10 instead.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Supposedly he wanted big money and the Chiefs were short-changing him. Interested to see what we paid. Any non-Bakhtiari signing is a huge win, but OL is still absolutely in play at 10

If Brock Bowers is there, do you select him, or trade back and pick up a 2nd rd pick in this years draft?

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t see how you can justify it

If all goes well, your Top 10 pick is going to be riding the bench all year.

And if Smith stays healthy and continues to play at a high level, it’s not like the Jets are just going to let him walk after the season. They’ll bust out the franchise tag if need be. Smith isn’t just some solid LT, he’s up there with Joe Thomas and Trent Williams as the best OT of the last 15 years. Plus we’ve drafted mid-round developmental OT’s in back to back drafts.

To me you have to go Bowers or Odunze

Smith hasn't played more than 13 games since 2015, including playing less than 5 games in two of the last four seasons. He couldn't even practice full time with the Cowboys. Best case scenario, he will miss about a quarter of the season

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

22 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I was excited until the when healthy part. That could literally be the Jets motto 

I am happy with the move. Low risk, high reward. But he’s missed a ton of games in recent years. Hasn’t played a full season since 2015 and has missed 75%+ of the season two of the last four years. 

IMG_3336.jpeg

2 hours ago, Plen T said:

Back to back luxury picks in 2 win now years with a 41 year old quarterback 

idiotic 

the Jet way

There is nothing luxury about taking an OL. OL is not a position of strength on the team because we signed a 33 year old who is constantly injured to a 1 year deal.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, doitny said:

Smith and Moses didnt come here to be backups. you cant pick a OT at 10 to ride the bench. if your worried about injuries you sign a swing tackle in FA. we can worry about the 2025 OL when we get to 2025. 

i dont know about college football but the way everyone acts about Alt he sounds like a day 1 starter. i dont think you can sign guys like Moses and Smith and then a month later say sorry your on the bench while Alt starts. and if hes so good you cant keep him as a backup in case of an injury. 

i think the OL at 10 ship has sailed. theres got to be a skill position player good enough to pick at 10 instead.

They are old and subject to injury, especially Tyron. And Alt is a premier prospect. He can sit a year if need be or take over if need be at either RT or LT. There are plenty WR to chose from via FA or the draft. Just have to see how it plays out. You don’t stick your hand in the cookie as of yet- it could get stuck.

45 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

There is nothing luxury about taking an OL. OL is not a position of strength on the team because we signed a 33 year old who is constantly injured to a 1 year deal.

I may be mistaken, but I'm guessing he meant Brock Bowers.

7 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Hopefully he can hold up for a couple years. And we draft a good ot to take over 

With coach Salehs track record of player injuries and the Jets spa like off season conditioning program and tranquil/docile practices. What could possibly go wrong? 

2 minutes ago, BP said:

With coach Salehs track record of player injuries and the Jets spa like off season conditioning program and tranquil/docile practices. What could possibly go wrong? 

Lol as much as us jets fans worry about the injury bug, a lot of that stuff is just dumb luck. The jets will fine. 

Rodgers is healthy and we're getting a great wr or te at ten.

Like I said I fully expect the jets to compete with KC, Cincy and buffalo. Going to be an awesome year 

6 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Lol as much as us jets fans worry about the injury bug, a lot of that stuff is just dumb luck. The jets will fine. 

Rodgers is healthy and we're getting a great wr or te at ten.

Like I said I fully expect the jets to compete with KC, Cincy and buffalo. Going to be an awesome year 

lol you ever see Groundhog Day? The mamas and the papas will be waking you up soon. 

blame injuries all you want, but some things (like a 101 yard pick 6 at the end of the half where all the players quit) was disturbing. And there still is no accountability for quitting.

This team couldn’t handle adversity AT ALL. They’re either Super Bowl contenders or laughing stock week by week according to some fans and their own coaches for ****s sake. So please forgive me while I point and laugh at you for suggesting they can compete with Kc next year

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, BP said:

lol you ever see Groundhog Day? The mamas and the papas will be waking you up soon. 

blame injuries all you want, but some things (like a 101 yard pick 6 at the end of the half where all the players quit) was disturbing. And there still is no accountability for quitting.

This team couldn’t handle adversity AT ALL. They’re either Super Bowl contenders or laughing stock week by week according to some fans and their own coaches for ****s sake. So please forgive while I point and laugh at you for suggesting they can compete with Kc next year

The players quit after the adrenaline from the buffalo game wore off and they saw saved by the Bell Zach.... 

It was terrible luck, but with a healthy Rodgers, improved oline and weapons, yeah the jets will be extremely tough. The defense alone gets them to.500 basically Rodgers should push them to 12-13 wins

8 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

The players quit after the adrenaline from the buffalo game wore off and they saw saved by the Bell Zach.... 

It was terrible luck, but with a healthy Rodgers, improved oline and weapons, yeah the jets will be extremely tough. The defense alone gets them to.500 basically Rodgers should push them to 12-13 wins

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dcJet said:

Incentives count against the cap.  I wonder how many are easily obtainable and what the cap hit is. 

Not 100% sure - Likely to be earned and Not likely to be earned incentives are treated differently if I recall.  Given his history, may not count this year 

Good player.

Durability/availability is a serious concern.

So our starting Oline now is Smith (LT) - Simpson (LG) - Tippman (C) - AVT (RG) - Moses (RT)

Definite improvement on paper. Health is definitely the big potential problem. 

OL depth is going to be important, but at this point it seems JD would be free to go OL later on the draft if desired, and go for a much needed offensive weapon (or trade down) at #10.

• Upvote 3

This looks like a great signing, on a great deal.

You can't count on him for every game, but there is financial protection if he does miss time.

He will get elite pay if he stays healthy and delivers elite play. Seems good to me.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1