Jets sign Tyron Smith

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Carter should be off the team he is the Braxton berrios of the rb position 

I cannot tell if you’re being serious or not. 

5 hours ago, doitny said:

Smith and Moses didnt come here to be backups. you cant pick a OT at 10 to ride the bench. if your worried about injuries you sign a swing tackle in FA. we can worry about the 2025 OL when we get to 2025. 

i dont know about college football but the way everyone acts about Alt he sounds like a day 1 starter. i dont think you can sign guys like Moses and Smith and then a month later say sorry your on the bench while Alt starts. and if hes so good you cant keep him as a backup in case of an injury. 

i think the OL at 10 ship has sailed. theres got to be a skill position player good enough to pick at 10 instead.

What you are saying is exactly what people were saying last year about the receivers. Everyone wanted to leave the wide receivers alone but we had Wilson, Lazard, CD. What happened? Lazard sucks and CD retired. 

You have to be prepared. I’m not saying Jets have to take one at 10 but a really good prospect has to be taken at some point. 

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

I may be mistaken, but I'm guessing he meant Brock Bowers.

I don’t know what it is but taking Bowers just scares me. I think I’ll be happy if we trade down a couple spots and then draft him but drafting him at 10 doesn’t sit well with me. 

In a deep draft for OL, we should take at least one, possibly two, mid to late round guys to be backups this year / potential starters next year, alongside Warren and Mitchell at OT, plus the current OG guys.

Having Warren potentially start a few games isn't a bad backup plan for this year.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JETSxWRATH™ said:

Smith hasn't played more than 13 games since 2015, including playing less than 5 games in two of the last four seasons. He couldn't even practice full time with the Cowboys. Best case scenario, he will miss about a quarter of the season

I’m not sh*tting my pants if Warren has to start a few games.

The kid looked rock solid at both RT and LT last year in limited playing time. And that was with him largely missing his first NFL training camp.

If Warren didn’t bang up his knee late in his senior year, he probably would’ve been a 2nd round pick.

• Upvote 4

Good signing.  On the caution side he does get hurt a lot but still like it.  I wonder how our top pick is impacted after these OL moves.  Do we go for a weapon now?  Do we slide back a few spots to recoup a 2nd?  Or do we still grab a OL?  At least we have options now unlike last year

• Upvote 1

They really had no choice but to sign him. So good job. But let’s not act like he’s a reliable rock at LT. he is hurt every year. His body is breaking down. A strong viable backup has to be in the plans. Don’t try to sell me on carter warren. He hasn’t proven jack yet. 

An absolute beast when he is healthy. Jets have a lot of options now at pick 10. They could draft another O-Lineman if they really like a player that is sitting there, they could take a pass catcher like Bowers or if one of the big 3 receivers if one fell, or they can trade back, and recoup some more picks. 

Douglas has done a good job in this FA cycle.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

To me, it just shows that Douglas is pretty good at his job, and the real problem at 1JD needs to start collecting new slogans for his T-shirt collection.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

i love JD so no argument there. but he did give Saleh the worst QB in the NFL the last 3 years. and yet in spite of that won 7 games each of the last 2 years.

to be fair we need to see Saleh with a real QB. 

1 minute ago, doitny said:

i love JD so no argument there. but he did give Saleh the worst QB in the NFL the last 3 years. and yet in spite of that won 7 games each of the last 2 years.

to be fair we need to see Saleh with a real QB. 

Not totally wrong ... but you have to weigh in the fact that the Jets OL has been a house of horrors.  The glass half full looking at the achilles blow out last year is that Aaron is still alive, which, if he had to play behind that sieve, very well may not have been the case.  Saleh has been a terrible head coach to this point in his tenure , JD has been a decent GM with one of the best drafts in team history under his belt and an admirable offseason so far this year.

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

I cannot tell if you’re being serious or not. 

What you are saying is exactly what people were saying last year about the receivers. Everyone wanted to leave the wide receivers alone but we had Wilson, Lazard, CD. What happened? Lazard sucks and CD retired. 

You have to be prepared. I’m not saying Jets have to take one at 10 but a really good prospect has to be taken at some point. 

I don’t know what it is but taking Bowers just scares me. I think I’ll be happy if we trade down a couple spots and then draft him but drafting him at 10 doesn’t sit well with me. 

I don’t understand why you have a problem with Bowers at #10 but taking him at #12 or #13 would be just fine.

People are way too wrapped up in this “TE isn’t a premium position” jargon.

I’m assuming most are fans of what has transpired in FA, especially over the last couple of days. The OL has been fortified, the Jets retained Zuerlein and Morstead, bolstered or at least maintained the interior DL, etc.

Now let’s assume we land a wideout like Mike Williams opposite Wilson.

Then I tell you to cap it off, we’re going to add George f*cking Kittle to the mix at #10.

Who says no to that?

• Upvote 2

I checked on a Cowboy board to get the rection.

He is well respected and his efforts appreciated.

However, there is also consensus it was time to move on.

They believe he will help the Jets - if and when he is actually on the field.

The Jets still need OL at 10 unless a trade down netting us a 2nd happens.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t understand why you have a problem with Bowers at #10 but taking him at #12 or #13 would be just fine.

People are way too wrapped up in this “TE isn’t a premium position” jargon.

I’m assuming most are fans of what has transpired in FA, especially over the last couple of days. The OL has been fortified, the Jets retained Zuerlein and Morstead, bolstered or at least maintained the interior DL, etc.

Now let’s assume we land a wideout like Mike Williams opposite Wilson.

Then I tell you to cap it off, we’re going to add George f*cking Kittle to the mix at #10.

Who says no to that?

I’ve Come around to bowers.  His skill set translates well to first downs and an efficient offense.  

I do think the jets draft just got a lot clearer.  It’s probably bowers or rome at 10, no trade out, the guy they take will be top 8 or so on their board and we know they need another big weapon.  They’re going to get one.  The dropoff at least on the rankings is big after these 2 guys vs other wrs, and though some of the guys taken at the end of round 1 and in round 2 will shine, that’s not the chance the jets are taking.  

So yeah I’m sold on either bowers or rome at 10 to round out the offense.  If they decide the value to trade out is too compelling and move back a few spots, they may still get bowers, but i can also see them going wr in round 2

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Not totally wrong ... but you have to weigh in the fact that the Jets OL has been a house of horrors.  The glass half full looking at the achilles blow out last year is that Aaron is still alive, which, if he had to play behind that sieve, very well may not have been the case.  Saleh has been a terrible head coach to this point in his tenure , JD has been a decent GM with one of the best drafts in team history under his belt and an admirable offseason so far this year.

but who got Saleh that OL? Douglas did. and the OL last year played better when Zach didnt play. Zach sack percentage is double what every other Jet QB was in his 3 years here. including slow footed guys like Flacco and White.

i said this before, Zach was ranked 30th last year. the guys around him Howell( 29th ), Mac Jones (31) and Young (32) played on teams that won 4.....4....and 2 games last year. Saleh with an equally bad QB or QBs won 7. that tells you 2 things.

1. this roster is pretty good. better than some people want to believe. JD has done a good job with it. we both agree on that.

2. Saleh must be a good HC to get that many wins out of a team with such bad QBs. Belichick with the same crappy QB won 4. Ron Rivera with a crappy QB won 4. Frank Riech who some people wanted to replace Saleh won 1 game and his QB was horrible yet he was supposed to be some offensive guru. 

im not sure who can win 7 games a year with a 30th or worst QB. and we started Tim Boyle and Trevor Sieman too. which btw Saleh went 2-1 with Sieman.

• Upvote 3

The Jets finally getting out from Becton is a good thing. That pick in 2020 caused so many unintended chain of events throughout the years in my opinion.

They could never count on him but wanted to. His injuries and poor performance after his rookie year forced the Jets to sign Morgan Moses and then let Moses walk after 2021 because they thought Becton would be back in 2022. It forced them to sign Duane Brown in 2022 and move Fant back to right tackle after he actually settled in pretty nicely at left tackle when Becton went down in 2021. It forced the Jets to jerk AVT around on the offensive line multiple times. 

Players get hurt, it happens. But that Becton pick was such a disaster. It seems this season, on paper at least, we are finally going into training camp with a set offensive line.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The Jets finally getting out from Becton is a good thing. That pick in 2020 caused so many unintended chain of events throughout the years in my opinion.

They could never count on him but wanted to. His injuries and poor performance after his rookie year forced the Jets to sign Morgan Moses and then let Moses walk after 2021 because they thought Becton would be back in 2022. It forced them to sign Duane Brown in 2022 and move Fant back to right tackle after he actually settled in pretty nicely at left tackle when Becton went down in 2021. It forced the Jets to jerk AVT around on the offensive line multiple times. 

Players get hurt, it happens. But that Becton pick was such a disaster. It seems this season, on paper at least, we are finally going into training camp with a set offensive line.

Replaced becton and wilson with very expensive short term solutions.  If it gets them to the playoffs it buys jd more time to draft more guys.  

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Replaced becton and wilson with very expensive short term solutions.  If it gets them to the playoffs it buys jd more time to draft more guys.  

The short term solutions do things.

Enable them to try and win big now.

Get first crack at re-signing the 2022 draft class.

12 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Ok I think this is a good signing .... Like most here do ...I'm taking all your names so when you blame Joe Douglas if the guy gets hurt I'm punching you all in the face.

Although it's the face, shouldn't you be threatening to smash them in the mouth?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

But that Becton pick was such a disaster.

I have one that was even worse at #2! The sad part is if the Jets brought in a veteran & let Zach sit for a year or two, who knows what he could have become. They ruined the kid IMO

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Supposedly he wanted big money and the Chiefs were short-changing him. Interested to see what we paid. Any non-Bakhtiari signing is a huge win, but OL is still absolutely in play at 10

I think Fuaga is about perfect at this point.  Let him compete.  Can he play T?  They need 2 next year.   He can fill in at G but if he is as dynamic as they say he can be an upgrade atv3 spots.  If they think he is the best in the draft just take him. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Go sign Mike Williams and Tyler Boyd!!!! 

I'm ordering a pizza I'm excited 

I'm not as excited but I am now ordering a pizza.

• Haha 4

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo
The playtime incentives for new #Jets LT Tyron Smith start at 38 percent, sources say. So at least a portion of his incentives are easily reached. He’s dealt with injuries and hasn’t played a full season since 2015 but his 13 games last year were his most since 2019.

Nick Korte @nickkorte

Tyron Smith played 60% of the snaps in 2023, so some of these incentives would be classified as Likely To Be Earned, which always count in the compensatory formula. We'll see if it's enough to push his contract to the max value of the 5th round for 10+accrued season vets.

Zack Rosenblatt @ZackBlatt
Some swing tackle options in free agency if the #Jets are looking for Tyron Smith insurance (though they are high on Carter Warren):

Yosh Njiman
Donovan Smith
Cam Fleming
Riley Reiff
Cornelius Lucas
Chris Hubbard
Josh Jones

(If willing) David Bakhtiari

Obviously, can also address in NFL Draft.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Fuaga is about perfect at this point.  Let him compete.  Can he play T?  They need 2 next year.   He can fill in at G but if he is as dynamic as they say he can be an upgrade atv3 spots.  If they think he is the best in the draft just take him. 

Wonder if landing Tyron gives them the rope to take a swing at Amarius Mims knowing they won’t have to play him right away

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wonder if landing Tyron gives them the rope to take a swing at Amarius Mims knowing they won’t have to play him right away

Why would douglas take a risk at OL again if he doesn’t have to?  There’s safer guys he can draft who can play multiple positions who don’t have the red flags with injuries or weight.  

1 hour ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Pineapple topping?

I love pineapple on my pizza.

To paraphrase George Carlin  "I don't know why I like pineapple on my pizza, if you don't like it don't eat it." ( Not you imparticular)

• Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 2

23 minutes ago, Snook said:

To paraphrase George Carlin  "I don't know why I like pineapple on my pizza, if you don't like it don't eat it." ( Not you imparticular)

Pineapple on pizza…the old Hawaiian Confusion but to each is own.

49 minutes ago, Snook said:

Some people love pineapple on pizza. Some people love Domino's pizza. They are usually the same crowd 😅