JetNation 2024 Mock Draft - Discussion

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

@beerfish is usually on point, but Renardo Green why? 

IMG_5079.png

He played Safety and CB at Florida State and I project him to play Safety.

Overview

Pure press-man cornerback whose inspired coverage against LSU’s talented receiving corps should carry weight in his evaluation. Green is patient to match the release and possesses good agility to recover quickly when beaten. Elite body control allows him to phase double moves and route breaks. He’s quick to close and tackle when beaten. Physical play gets him flagged inside the route and he doesn’t find the football often enough when routes travel downfield. He can improve in run support, but he’s more than willing. Green might need safety help over the top, but his route tracing and catch restriction over the first two levels give him a good chance of becoming an above-average starter outside or from the slot.

Strengths

• Outstanding play against LSU’s Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr.
  • Excellent change of direction to phase double moves and comebacks.
  • Flows with bends of the route and stays in receiver’s pocket.
  • Doesn’t allow bigger opponents to bully him for space.
  • Sifts quickly through combo routes and adjusts coverage.
  • Chokes the catch point with positioning and aggression.
  • Reliable run defender near the line of scrimmage.

He was not at the top of my player list but the top guys got picked off one after another.   I was going to take Pratt there but he went one pick earlier.  Despite the ho hum indifference by many jets fans our safety position is not good and is paper thin.  After looking at what positions I needed to fill and who I might get I felt I needed to take my projected safety here rather than wait.  I had a few other guys I considered.  I also had a situation like you had earlier.   I made the pick quickly and a few seconds later got a trade down offer I probably would have accepted.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, section314 said:

@NYJetsVets91 nice pick. Was wondering how much longer he was going to last.

Vegas were looking to trade up for Hall Jnr but couldn't get a deal done. I couldn't understand why he fell so far although some character concerns in Vegas could've been fun.

Anyway good pick for the Commanders which started a mini run on DTs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

Really nice pick, to get a top 5 linebacker mid 4th round is a steal.

Thanks. Yeah I was thinking about taking him in the 3rd round and saw him there in the 4th. Was worth the buy-up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Has anyone noticed that draft coverage has gotten worse? It’s all boiler plate blahness now. And there’s a ton of it.

You're just picking up on this?  lol  Been going on for years.  What was once the secret spot for actual Football content is now the worst of the worst coverage w/ everyone becoming a self proclaimed expert over night.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Has anyone noticed that draft coverage has gotten worse? It’s all boiler plate blahness now. And there’s a ton of it.

it has fallen badly, it has become simply player promotion from some of the more credible guys without any hard critiques and we are subjected to a ton of national talking heads that really don't know jack and hardly follow the draft like the average fan and yet have all the hot takes..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

You're just picking up on this?  lol  Been going on for years.  What was once the secret spot for actual Football content is now the worst of the worst coverage w/ everyone becoming a self proclaimed expert over night.

Yeah true. But looking at stuff for our mock has been disappointing. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah true. But looking at stuff for our mock has been disappointing. 

I like the efficient breakdowns by the guy at the steelers depot.  he cuts short vids for illustrations and I like his stuff best.

He's got about 115 them.  Here is Mason McCormick breakdown:

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/02/2024-nfl-draft-scouting-report-south-dakota-state-og-mason-mccormick/

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The Commanders want ALL the draft picks it seems.   😎

My MO has always been to stockpile picks. For all the measurables, tape, and research, the draft is largely a crapshoot so better to have more ammunition IMO. Just playing it the way I would if I was the actual GM.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

My MO has always been to stockpile picks. For all the measurables, tape, and research, the draft is largely a crapshoot so better to have more ammunition IMO. Just playing it the way I would if I was the actual GM.

why is he surprised?  In fact you are much tamer this year than in others.  What was the greatest number of picks you ever collected in one of these?  

Interesting.  Real big run on O line and particularly guards right now.  Maybe @Sarge4Tide did have an influence.  I had kind of settled on wanting Layden Robinson some time ago. He's probably not the best prospect, but I have switched  up my O line reviews to wanting "strong at point of attack" and "big push in the run game" to show up in their profile.  Too many of the guys with solid reviews don't have any sand in their pants.  Max Mitchell fits that.

I contemplated Robinson with my last pick.  That was certainly too early.  I was thinking McKinley Jackson for this one and looking at the reviews and realized that I'd have a better chance of Robinson lasting than Jackson - even though Jackson also probably would have and might still be a bit early at 130.  I used to do a fair amount of research and pick the guys I like.  I have a list of guys I want, but they are often rated for later picks.  This year the guys I wanted at 1 were all gone, so I just rolled with need and a fairly well rated guy I don't particularly like in Morgan.  I hate that.  I probably should have taken Newton or Darius Robinson.  I saw that we were getting close to Robinson on the spreadsheet and looked for some others and actually settled that I would prefer McCormick.  That just shows I did not prepare well this year, but @Matt39 took him well before my turn.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Interesting.  Real big run on O line and particularly guards right now.  Maybe @Sarge4Tide did have an influence.  I had kind of settled on wanting Layden Robinson some time ago. He's probably not the best prospect, but I have switched  up my O line reviews to wanting "strong at point of attack" and "big push in the run game" to show up in their profile.  Too many of the guys with solid reviews don't have any sand in their pants.  Max Mitchell fits that.

I contemplated Robinson with my last pick.  That was certainly too early.  I was thinking McKinley Jackson for this one and looking at the reviews and realized that I'd have a better chance of Robinson lasting than Jackson - even though Jackson also probably would have and might still be a bit early at 130.  I used to do a fair amount of research and pick the guys I like.  I have a list of guys I want, but they are often rated for later picks.  This year the guys I wanted at 1 were all gone, so I just rolled with need and a fairly well rated guy I don't particularly like in Morgan.  I hate that.  I probably should have taken Newton or Darius Robinson.  I saw that we were getting close to Robinson on the spreadsheet and looked for some others and actually settled that I would prefer McCormick.  That just shows I did not prepare well this year, but @Matt39 took him well before my turn.   

I’ve done no research 

• Lith unpinned this topic