Sign a vet OT/OG

We do this and I think we really open up the possibilities at 10.

Andrus Peat is the main name I look at with this. He can play OT or OG and can be had for cheap.

And of course there’s always Bak.

Why I want this to happen. Is it allows us to address skill more at 10. Where we’d be getting a guy that will absolutely play.

While I’m not against OL at 10. I’m not a fan of drafting a backup at 10. How well did that work with Mac last year? Almost was a wasted 1st rounder for year 1.

We sign a guy like Peat or Bak pre draft. It then gives us a backup to Smith. And allows us to go BPA. Not feel forced to go OT bc Smith has injury concerns.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think we should sign any more veteran OL. We probably only have 2 or 3 roster spots left for OL and this is a deep and talented OL draft class.

Try to trade down from 10 to recoup a 2nd round pick, draft 2 OL within your first 4 picks, and call it a day. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I am in the skill position player at 10 as well but drafting an offensive lineman at 10 doesn’t necessarily mean he will be the back up. They can easily put him at right tackle and use Moses as a cheap back up. 

• Upvote 4

Very deep draft for OL, and for WRs.  We should look to the draft to stock those positions, before resorting to more veterans.

Post draft, if we still have a need, then you look at cheap vets.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

Very deep draft for OL, and for WRs.  We should look to the draft to stock those positions, before resorting to more veterans.

Post draft, if we still have a need, then you look at cheap vets.

This is it.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

I am in the skill position player at 10 as well but drafting an offensive lineman at 10 doesn’t necessarily mean he will be the back up. They can easily put him at right tackle and use Moses as a cheap back up. 

Or at LG over Simpson and his penalty issues. 

I don’t expect any more OL signings from the Jets before the draft because they’re probably looking at the real possibility of being stuck at #10 with the clear BAP being an OT. Should a WR fall, or they surprise (me) and take Bowers, then I’d expect to see an OL in the third, and probably some additional shoring up in free agency after that. 

• Upvote 1

This is the play, IMO.  Sign a vet swing tackle.  I'm not taking a kid since we already have two on the bench in Warren and Mitchell.  Maybe if the starting spot was still open, but it isn't.  All you need is for Warren to be a backup, and if your 4th rounder isn't at least capable of being a backup in year 2, then he's a failure.  Simple as that.  I have no reason to believe he can't handle that role though, and I doubt JD feels differently.  

Draft one guard.  You can do that in the 4th most likely.

• Upvote 2

I think we’re going to see one or more oline players drafted this draft.  They may not use the ten pick or trade back a few spots.  They don’t need a day one starter but will need a guy who can fill in for a few games and then be next seasons starter.  If they do keep the ten pick I think they’ll have a chance to get one of the blue chip tackles.  Pretty hard to pass up even if the guy will be a spot starter.

They've brought in Smith, Simpson, and Moses to go along with AVT and Tippman. Still on the roster: Schweitzer, Warren, and Mitchell, a few other purely depth/developmental guys, and we're still pending whatever Connor Mac does.

The draft is in a month. 

If on May 1st they still need to bring in an additional Vet OG, something went horribly, horribly wrong...

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

The top guy available seems familiar.  Everyone so freaked out about the line lol. Warren is a borderline starter and Schweitzer isn’t bad.  

IMG_8662.jpeg

Agreed. But while I’m comfortable with Warren starting if we had to if smith got injured. Most aren’t.

I really just want it to be a situation where if there’s a really good WR or Bowers there at 10. Where it doesn’t matter to us. Bc we think we need a backup LT

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. But while I’m comfortable with Warren starting if we had to if smith got injured. Most aren’t.

I really just want it to be a situation where if there’s a really good WR or Bowers there at 10. Where it doesn’t matter to us. Bc we think we need a backup LT

Roster building doesn’t normally include traumatized emotions of the fans. 

The 7 dressing on game day today would be 

Smith, Simpson, Tippmann, AVT, Moses 

Warren, Schweitzer 

there are no available free agents to upgrade this group. Bahktiari is a late summer possibility if he gets healthy. 

JD is focused on saving not only his job but all the coaches , scouts etc.  the draft will be about guys contributing this year 

Its obviously possible that BPA at 10 is Olu and they will obviously bring in 5+ guys for camp but man this obsession is getting out of hand lol 

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Roster building doesn’t normally include traumatized emotions of the fans. 

Warren, Schweitzer 

there are no available free agents to upgrade this group. Bahktiari is a late summer possibility if he gets healthy. 

JD is focused on saving not only his job but all the coaches , scouts etc.  the draft will be about guys contributing this year 

Its obviously possible that BPA at 10 is Olu and they will obviously bring in 5+ guys for camp but man this obsession is getting out of hand lol 

People think that we need ALL the offensive linemen.  To be fair, that is because for the past two years we have played ALL the offensive linemen.

• Upvote 2

OK, here are the current Jets OLs.    They're not going to keep more than 10, although I think maybe 11 if they plan to need some real blockers on the new kickoff rules.   Assuming the three on the bottom are PS at best....   are you really not drafting ANY OL in this draft?  

If he signs a Vet right now, he's got to keep them through the cut down to regular roster.    I think he likes Hanson, Glaser, Warren and Mitchell enough as locks (or at least enough that he's not cutting two to sign a vet who they're going to have to overpay to be a backup.)

Top 10

66 Joe Tippmann C 6-6 317 Wisconsin
75 Alijah Vera-Tucker G/T 6-5 308 USC
XX Tyron Smith G 6-5 320 USC (2024 Free Agent Signing)
XX Morgan Moses OT 6-6 335 Virginia (Trade from Baltimore)
XX John Simpson G 6-4 330 Clemson (2024 Free Agent Signing)
71 Wes Schweitzer G/C 6-4 300 San Jose St.
61 Max Mitchell OL 6-6 299 Louisiana
67 Carter Warren OT 6-5 323 Pittsburgh
65 Xavier Newman OL 6-2 297 Baylor
63 Chris Glaser G 6-4 306 Virginia

If they keey 11

62 Jake Hanson OL 6-4 296 Oregon

PS
50 Vitaliy Gurman OL 6-4 310 Toledo
68 Obinna Eze OL 6-8 325 TCU
64 Austin Deculus OL 6-5 321 LSU Exclusive Rights FA

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Warren, Schweitzer 

Of course no free agents are going to "upgrade" this group but I think folks are forgetting (or ignoring) how bad Tyron Smiths injury record is. There is a very, very real chance that Carter Warren has to try his hand at LT if we don't add someone with more quality than him. Bahktiari is even riskier, although I'd be tempted to give him a shot on the vet min. anyway. I like Warren, but if it'll be more than a couple games (or playoff games) I have fair doubts he is up to the task. 

I agree with the sentiment that a veteran addition shouldn't come until after the draft. But if we don't select a high quality OT, I will be pounding the table for the best remaining vet we can sign, because both Smith and Jets history have shown we will need more help.

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

This team needs 9 OL on the 53 and at least 4 OL on the practice squad.   I think the answer at this point is draft picks. 

They already have more than that on the active roster who would need to be cut and re-signed to the practice squad (which they would not do).   And you're not going to try and sneak a 3rd or 4th round pick on the PS either.  

At this point, it would be offensive to sign more vet offensive lineman before the draft.

30 minutes ago, Edgy said:

OK, here are the current Jets OLs.    They're not going to keep more than 10, although I think maybe 11 if they plan to need some real blockers on the new kickoff rules.   Assuming the three on the bottom are PS at best....   are you really not drafting ANY OL in this draft?  

If he signs a Vet right now, he's got to keep them through the cut down to regular roster.    I think he likes Hanson, Glaser, Warren and Mitchell enough as locks (or at least enough that he's not cutting two to sign a vet who they're going to have to overpay to be a backup.)

Top 10

66 Joe Tippmann C 6-6 317 Wisconsin
75 Alijah Vera-Tucker G/T 6-5 308 USC
XX Tyron Smith G 6-5 320 USC (2024 Free Agent Signing)
XX Morgan Moses OT 6-6 335 Virginia (Trade from Baltimore)
XX John Simpson G 6-4 330 Clemson (2024 Free Agent Signing)
71 Wes Schweitzer G/C 6-4 300 San Jose St.
61 Max Mitchell OL 6-6 299 Louisiana
67 Carter Warren OT 6-5 323 Pittsburgh
65 Xavier Newman OL 6-2 297 Baylor
63 Chris Glaser G 6-4 306 Virginia

If they keey 11

62 Jake Hanson OL 6-4 296 Oregon

PS
50 Vitaliy Gurman OL 6-4 310 Toledo
68 Obinna Eze OL 6-8 325 TCU
64 Austin Deculus OL 6-5 321 LSU Exclusive Rights FA

Right.  Plus one or two draft picks.  If they sign anybody IMO it will be late signing, post-draft.  Either an injured guy like Bakhtiari or less likely a cap casualty.  There are going to be some guys that are probably fairly pricey getting pushed by all the "depth" in this draft.