First 4 Rounds on Offense?

What say you gents and ladies?

Re-sign Ashtyn before the draft.  Defensive depth with our 6th  + 2 7ths.

If we cannot trade back:

Round 1 OT, Round 3 WR, Round 4a WR, around 4b QB.

My wildcard is a guy like Penix in round 2 if we trade back and he’s available.

All offense for me early.  You guys?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I hope the jets roster building is a little more organized than “ alL OFfenSe”

legitimate defense needs :

Safety. You can’t just trust Clark or JBC to contribute 

DE to compete with and replace Clemons  

Linebacker to learn from Mosley and take over for him. 

Linebacker to complete with Surratt and Barnes. 

I want competition and depth across the entire roster not just positions I feel emotionally traumatized by. 

How many of these players will be draft picks or free agents or UDFA who knows but the “no more defense “ thing is as annoying as the “ rotation on the dline is stupid because reps resources cap duhhhh” thing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

What is it with this stuff? Who’s developing this QB, Nate Hackett? The guy who’s only here as a favor to Rodgers and serves very little other purpose? 

• Upvote 1

Jets offense 

Rodgers

Wilson

Williams

Hall

Smith

Simpson

hair guy

AVT

Moses

Conklin

Lazard

Taylor

Gipson

Malik Taylor

Big irv 

Warren

Schweitzer

Izzy

Let’s not act like the jets have ignored the offense or gone cheap or anything 

Im still torn on Bowers or Fautanu at 10

but man Bowers could make this offense legit filthy  

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

We can't be fixated on drafting position and more so players. 

Will Shipley is a receiving threat out the back field that I would love to select. If he's available at 72 then select him. If not, then I'm not going to select the next best RB but the next good player available. 

That could be Kamren Kinchens, Xavier Legette, Max Melton or Kiran Amegadjie.

• WTF? 1

This is such a deep draft at WR, we can get a starting slot receiver in the 3rd round (Ricky Pearsall, Ja’Lynn Polk, McMillan, Burton, Corley, Walker, Baker).  All can also back up the X spot if Mike Williams loses time to injury/rehab. 

That said, if Odunze/Nabers are there at 10 we have to pull the trigger.  Getting a backup OT in the 3rd is possible but the pickings get pretty slim (Rosengarten, Amedgajie, Fisher). 

Of course the best way to build our roster is to trade back and get an additional pick in the 2nd/3rd round, targeting Fautanu, Bowers, Brian Thomas in the 1st, getting a legit backup to Breece Hall (Trey Benson) in the 2nd, and the missing piece (WR or OT-whatever we didn’t draft already) in the 3rd. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

As much as I’d like to see offense be the focus. I think we do choose a defensive player no later than the 4th.

Ideally for me I’d like to see us go weapon at 10 with WR or Bowers (will not at all dislike if we go OL as long as it’s not Latham).

After that let the draft fall to you. Let’s say we go Bowers at 10. Maybe Washington for the slot is there in the 3rd. So maybe go him. Then wait for OL. Maybe double dip in the 4th on the OL.

15 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

If we cannot trade back:

If they can trade down and add a second round pick I'd use that pick on T'Vondre Sweat if he were still on the board.  I'd use the other 3 of the top four on offense and likely another WR on day 3.

14 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

We can't be fixated on drafting position and more so players. 

Will Shipley is a receiving threat out the back field that I would love to select. If he's available at 72 then select him. If not, then I'm not going to select the next best RB but the next good player available. 

That could be Kamren Kinchens, Xavier Legette, Max Melton or Kiran Amegadjie.

The more I read about guys in the draft the more I realize how precarious our situation going into next year is plus how thin our depth is. 

We just signed 3 guys on the OL to 1 year deals.  We signed Mike Williams to a 1 year deal and other than he and GW, we have nothing at WR.  We probably have nothing behind Breece Hall (though hopefully Izzy has learned to pass protect). 

Is Ty Conklin's contract up after this year too, btw?  IIRC we signed him to a 3 year deal and this coming year is going to be year 3.

• Sympathy 1

Joe blewitt posted a Bowers analysis last night and he kindly answered my questions about him. He doesn’t think Bowers can win outside in the NFL and is more of a check down/ flat guy so I’m off of Bowers to a degree.  

10 really should be Fauntanu or Latham

72 is much more open but WR is probably the best value  for a win now contributor 

111 and 135 is where safety or linebacker comes into play for me  

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

If we cannot trade back:

Definitely agree go all offense.

After his stellar pro day, Penix will not make it into the 2nd round

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Joe blewitt posted a Bowers analysis last night and he kindly answered my questions about him. He doesn’t think Bowers can win outside in the NFL and is more of a check down/ flat guy so I’m off of Bowers to a degree.  

72 is much more open but WR is probably the best value  for a win now contributor 

I agree that’s what bowers is.  And he will be good at it, but he’s not worth it at 10.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Definitely agree go all offense.

After his stellar pro day, Penix will not make it into the 2nd round

I think nix and penix go first round and the jets can trade back b/c a team will want one of these guys. 

19 hours ago, Larz said:

I want competition and depth across the entire roster not just positions I feel emotionally traumatized by. 

How many of these players will be draft picks or free agents or UDFA who knows but the “no more defense “ thing is as annoying as the “ rotation on the dline is stupid because reps resources cap duhhhh” thing. 

"Defense Wins Championships".

"Rodgers Will Fix It All".

2 hours ago, Larz said:

I like Latham a lot actually but unless we are planning on having him at LT, skip. We need that LT spot locked down post-Tyron.

I think Olu Fashanu will be there at 10 and we should run to the podium.

If not take Troy Fautanu.

Bowers is such a boom or bust pick and that concerns me. But I’ll the coaches and scouts decide as my highlight reel viewing is certainly not adequate to give a proper projection.

I just feel like he’s a real niche player that could have a really solid career playing for a top offensive coach (which we don’t have). Is he Dallas Clark 2.0? That’s a really solid career but is that the 10th pick? Nah.

But if Bowers is the guy that everyone is hyping him to be then he’s one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL.

I will say this though:

KC, SF, Baltimore, Detroit all conference representatives all have 4 of the top 5 TEs in the league. All of those TEs are certainly worth the top 10 pick. They open up their whole offense and in a sense their offenses play off of their position.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think nix and penix go first round and the jets can trade back b/c a team will want one of these guys. 

Nix with the right coach and team can be a really good QB. Nix with a team like uhh the Jets will be Tyler Boyd.

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Nix with the right coach and team can be a really good QB. Nix with a team like uhh the Jets will be Tyler Boyd.

Nix reminds me of baker.  I do think there are teams like denver, minny, LV and even the saints who may be pining for a qb in the top 15.  I still think plan A is rome, if he falls to 10 he’s ours.  But if the top 3 wrs are gone i think the jets may move back.  So I’m thinking it’s rome or a tackle round 1. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I mean if we have a chance to draft that guy in the 2nd…I’d be ecstatic. He might end up being the 3rd best QB in this class.
I think he may eventually be the best QB in the draft. Has a shot on the right team with the good developmental program.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, slats said:

What is it with this stuff? Who’s developing this QB, Nate Hackett? The guy who’s only here as a favor to Rodgers and serves very little other purpose? 

I want to draft a Qb every year until we get the right young QB in the system.  In this scenario to learn from Rodgers.  

Doesn’t make sense to use our 1st rounder this year.  My own opinion is that Penix would be fantastic value in the 2nd round and that one premium pick with an eye on the future instead of this year.  Who knows how long Rodgers plays?

Rodgers is the lead by example QB coach in this scenario, not Hackett.

——————————————————————

"I learned a lot. I was able to watch a great quarterback, how he works every day, how he handles business in the locker room, interacts with teammates, how he attacks every day," Love said. "Just being able to sit back as a quarterback and observe him, observe his footwork, how the ball comes out of his hands, just how he practice every day and takes that into the game. There's just very valuable stuff. I was able to sit for three years and kind of just pick his brain and watch him work."

21 hours ago, Larz said:

HISTORICALLY terrible offense for years.   "We have an awesome eltie D" for years!  So yeah lets spend half the picks on defense.

If we stay with 7 picks at least 5 should be on offense.  Not just becasue the offense stinks, has poor depth and is old in some areas but also because the strength of the draft is on offense, specifically WR and oline.

So of course Douglas will draft one wr and on oline and say we good and assume the guy will be awesome instead of doubling down and hedging his bets.

We will draft a dlineman even though we have signed like 4 or 5 and already had a bunch we will draft a small speed linebacker as he has done for almost every draft.  We will draft a safety becasue the jets have done less than zero on that position instead falling all over themselves to add to the dline.

• Upvote 1

I highly doubt it. I think there’s a good chance it’ll be 3/4 offense, but I just can’t see this regime not taking one defensive player in the first 4 rounds. My guess is 1-weapon, 3-defense, 4a-guard/QB, 4b-QB/guard  

22 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

If we cannot trade back:

To me, Penix is a no-go. Too many red flags. Injury history, unorthodox release. Doesn't possess elite arm strength. Wilted in the biggest game. He has so many good qualities as a prospect but to me, as a Jets 'future franchise QB', its too much of a risk.   

Otherwise, this is fine but not the way I want JD to approach the draft. Sure, resign Ash. This seemed like a no brainer move about a month ago but JD has not made this a priority. I think there's still a good chance this happens.

Lets assume we cannot trade back and don't trade up. But Why commit to OT in Rd. 1? Lets say a top tier WR slides or the top talent is clearly Bowers? I take one of those over OT. 

Why double down on WR? I mean, sure, if we go OT at 10 and WR on Rd3 I don't nec. have an issue with WR at 4a, but I also have no issue going IOL or S or LB. JD should stick to his board once he's taken an OT and WR. If the Jets take a second WR at 4a their depth will look something like this: GW, Williams, Lazard, Rookie 1, Rookie 2 - leaving one of Gipson or Charles looking from the outside in. I don't see that happening. Both are solid special teams contributors. And that's assuming the Jets carry 6 WRs. Maybe they trade Lazard. But right now he's firmly on the roster.

Why Qb in Rd. 4? I mean, again, I'm not particularly against it but it will 100% depend on if the right guy is there. So its really a BPA pick, IMO. If theres a QB the Jets value highly who is at the top of their board, I'm not against it. But drafting a QB when you're all in on Rodgers, with Taylor as your backup and a coaching staff thats on the hot seat doesn't make a ton of sense to me, even if he is developmental and will sit as the #3. Might as well wait and draft a QB with a new coaching staff once the sh** hits the fan. 

The key, IMO, is offense early, making sure you add a weapon and an olineman. And staying true to your board. Whatever order JD does that in and whether its via trade down or not, doesn't matter to me. I'm on board.  

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Larz said:

Stop. LOL. Listen, we can always improve at nearly every position. But how can you possibly sit here and act like the NY Jets shouldn't be targeting offense early and often in this draft? 

Safety - yes one of the remaining needs. But not a major need considering the strength of our secondary. Clark, Adams, JBC and my guess is JD will end up bringing back Ash or adding another FA. This is certainly not a situation where JD should even be considering a safety with one of his top two picks (Rd. 1 and 3). 

Linebacker - Sherwood has been Mosleys understudy and has played well when given opportunities. Not sure how you forgot about him. I'm not sure why you just assume he can't take over him after this season. LB is another position that JD does not nec. need to concern himself with until the back end of the draft, if at all. DE to compete with and replace Clemons? This is far from a priority and will happen organically. Surratt and Barnes are depth guys and you will have back end draft selections and UDFA signings competing with them.

Here is the Jets defensive line:

JFM, Kinlaw, QW, JJ - Nickel and base 4 + McDonald/Reddick in 5 wide, + Thomas on rotation and Fotu as the sub run stuffer. THEN you have Clemons who will probably serve as depth and play specials. Thats 9 linemen. Clemons might not even make the final roster. 

When you look at their OFFENSE:

Behind T. Smith and Moses they have Carter Warren and Max Mitchell. Thats it! I think they have another couple of back end dept guys but realistically, that is it. They can and probably will sign more depth but the Jets need to draft an OT early.

Behind AVT and Simpson they have Sweitzer and Hanson. Thats pretty much it. Behind Tippman, nobody. Again, emphasizes the lack of depth on the oline. 

You look at WR - its GW, Williams and Lazard, with Gipson, Charles and Brownlee rounding out the top 6. While Williams was a major addition, the Jets simply can't rely on Lazard bouncing back and have to draft a pass catcher early in this draft. One of the top two going down will spell disaster for this receiving group without another weapon. 

I will give you that QB, RB and TE are positions on offense that you can probably ignore in this draft. And I would exclude Bowers from that simply because he is such a unique talent and can be used more like a WR than a traditional TE. 

But if JD uses the 10th pick on defense or goes defense before addressing oline and bringing in a weapon, I will be surprised. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

So Warren and mitchell are both such epic busts they cannot fill that roll?

I appreciate the question but I’m not saying that.

Ideally, you keep both and they continue to develop but there is nothing I saw last year (nor indicated in advanced stats) that shows they are ready to be counted on this year to start should there be an injury.

I do like that the one year contracts to Smith and Moses allow them to earn a future starting role.

But in an all in year, I’m not relying on either of them to protect Rodgers.  

I’m more bullish on Warren longer term than Mitchell because I’m worry about the latter’s core strength and am not sure he’ll be able to get there.

Just my 1 cent.  

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I think he may eventually be the best QB in the draft. Has a shot on the right team with the good developmental program.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I don’t know I think Maye is going to be a beast and if Jayden Daniels has a shot to be amazing…but yeah Penix I think will be next. I think pairing Penix with someone like Sean Payton is a perfect fit as far as coach and scheme go.

I think Caleb has bust written all over him.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Larz said:

I don't care how generational a TE is, a star X receiver is always worth more. Atlanta made that mistake a few years ago with Pitts/Chase.