My take on Brock Bowers and the NY Jets

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No, "Big Slot" is a bullsh*t made-up position.

H-Back is an actual thing, with an actual definition, said definition being a hybrid WR/TE/FB who plays either in the TE spot but off the ball, or the slot receiver slot and off the ball.  Which is what Bowers would seemingly be at the Pro level.

Yeah, H-Back was invented by Joe Gibbs in the 80's mate, when every team rostered (and most used) a fullback.

No, he's Chris Cooley, but (to his fans) far, far better.

As a reminder, Cooley was for several years a reliable 60-70 reception, 750 yard, 6-8 TD weapon for Washington.

There is no chance the undersized Bowers would excel as a FB.  Clearly his role in the NFL is the H-Back hybrid TE/WR role.

I would say Chris Cooley is a better comp., but "better" if he's all his fans say he is.

As a DC region resident, I have a ton of respect for the weapon Chris Cooley was.  If Bowers top end is a much better Chris Cooley, I don't see that as an insult.

But if you persist with the "Big Slot" made up bullsh*t, I will poke you in the eye.  Just stop.  He's a TE who can line up in the slot.  That's an H-Back.  Plain and simple, lol.

Fair enough.  

I am not particularly sold on Bowers.  I think you need to understand him and know how you want to use him.  I am even more not sold on Brian Thomas who I find much more scary, but might have as high or higher ceiling.  You'd have to really believe in the interviews there.  Bowers seems much cleaner.  We are arguing ceiling, but the floor is not particularly low beyond it just being "He's a TE!"

Nobody uses an H-back anymore.  Your definition coming from Joe Gibbs is nice, but that is ancient history and it is a term used for hybrids - which IMO is just a hybrid.  Also nothing particularly new.  I don't see him as primarily a "back" so I don't like it for him.  Big slot certainly is bullsh*t.  It's just a slot but so many people expect their slot to be Wes Welker, Julian Edelman sized, they can't comprehend that for quite a few years Jimmy Graham was one of the most successful slot receivers in the NFL. Cooley isn't a bad comp, but he ran a 4.87.  Even the people thinking Bowers will be a slug aren't thinking that though I guess Cooley has 20 lbs on him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

“Big slot,” is just another position the Jets already have filled with Lazard and his guaranteed $11M. And let’s face it, this whole “big slot” thing is brand new this year as some sort of vague roster concern, but is primarily being used as an excuse to draft an undersized TE with no athletic testing numbers at #10. 

What does a meaningless label even matter?

Pass catcher is not a made up position, and that’s really all that matters.

I wouldn’t weigh athletic testing numbers over game film.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Bowers is not in the same boat as MHJ. It’s a silly thing to say. MHJ is the son of a prolific WR who dominated at the college level at the same premium position. 

I’m not over-analyizing anyone, but I would say that the Bowers fan club is dramatically over-valuing him. The argument that he’s gonna be some slam dunk is really not supported by his college career. Last season, a whopping 48% of his catches came behind the line of scrimmage. That means that A LOT of his much talked about YAC was accumulated without his team moving the ball forward an inch. He’s being called a “big slot,” yet his smallest number of receptions came in the 0-9 yards from scrimmage range. In other words, he has very little experience doing what his mass of supporters believe he’ll automatically be elite at in the pros. That requires a lot of faith. 

The reality is that Georgia schemed their screen game thru him. Who would you like to see the screen game run thru on the Jets this year? The 6’3”, 240lb Brock Bowers, or how about the 6’1”, 220lb Breece Hall who runs a sub-4.4 40? Let’s face it, there’s no competition or comparison there. In the pros, Breece, Abanikanda, and Gipson will all be more effective than an undersized TE there who probably runs a 4.55. You guys are banging the table for Richie Anderson at #10 overall. 

So no one in the SEC against NFL talent weekly was able to stop him or slow him down. But the NFL will?

Also how about that that amount of talent Georgia has had over the 3 years. He was still the number 1 option for them even at 18 years old. Does that not tell you something? And this isn't the best player on Syracuse. This is a guy that was the best offensive player for a back to back undefeated NC teams. Think it was bc he had a vet QB in Bennett throwing to him? No he did great this year again with a new QB still.

I totally respect your viewpoint and as I states I do think we draft OL in the 1st this year. But a notion that Bowers isnt good or worth the 10th pick is rather baffling.

To breakdown his game and say the facts you stated. Is good and fine. And sounds good on paper right?

Isn't it easy to stop Tyreeke Hill on paper. Play him tough at the line, be physical with him and he can't beat you with speed. Yet no team can really do it.

Same can be said for Bowers. You make his game sound easy to stop. yet no one in the country against the best possible competition in college could ever really.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So no one in the SEC against NFL talent weekly was able to stop him or slow him down. But the NFL will?

Also how about that that amount of talent Georgia has had over the 3 years. He was still the number 1 option for them even at 18 years old. Does that not tell you something? And this isn't the best player on Syracuse. This is a guy that was the best offensive player for a back to back undefeated NC teams. Think it was bc he had a vet QB in Bennett throwing to him? No he did great this year again with a new QB still.

I totally respect your viewpoint and as I states I do think we draft OL in the 1st this year. But a notion that Bowers isnt good or worth the 10th pick is rather baffling.

To breakdown his game and say the facts you stated. Is good and fine. And sounds good on paper right?

Isn't it easy to stop Tyreeke Hill on paper. Play him tough at the line, be physical with him and he can't beat you with speed. Yet no team can really do it.

Same can be said for Bowers. You make his game sound easy to stop. yet no one in the country against the best possible competition in college could ever really.

He didn’t have many great games against ranked teams over his career. His best coming against Alabama in his sophomore year in a game where he was probably getting a lot of trailing opportunities in an uncompetitive loss. 

My take has been, and continues to be, that Joe Douglas won’t draft him #10. That he won’t spend a premium pick on a non-premium position, especially an undersized player at that non-premium position who was primarily used in the screen game. JD likes his RAS scores, and this guy doesn’t have one. I don’t think JD takes Breece where he does without that 9.96 of his.

But I’m not gonna be upset if he’s the pick, I just believe that that pick would be an upset. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

He didn’t have many great games against ranked teams over his career. His best coming against Alabama in his sophomore year in a game where he was probably getting a lot of trailing opportunities in an uncompetitive loss. 

My take has been, and continues to be, that Joe Douglas won’t draft him #10. That he won’t spend a premium pick on a non-premium position, especially an undersized player at that non-premium position who was primarily used in the screen game. JD likes his RAS scores, and this guy doesn’t have one. I don’t think JD takes Breece where he does without that 9.96 of his.

But I’m not gonna be upset if he’s the pick, I just believe that that pick would be an upset. 

He had more good games than that. Come on now!!!

Side note he never even played Bama as a sophomore FYI.

Freshman year at 18 years old

SEC champ game against Bama. 10rec 139yds 1 TD

CFB semifinals against Michigan: 5rec for 55 and a TD

CFB Champ game against Bama: 4rec 36yds and 1 TD.

So in the 3 biggest games he had 230yds receiving and 4 tds.

Sophomore year at 19 years old

SEC Champ game against LSU: 6rec 81yds 1 TD

CFB Semifinals against Ohio State: 4rec 64yds

CFB Finals against TCU: 7rec 152yds 1TD and 15yds rushing

So in the 3 biggest games a player can play he had 312yds and 2 TDs

Junior year at 20 years old

He got injured in week 10 against Bama after having 5rec for 55yds on them before leaving.

He in the span of the 6 weeks previous to that against some good teams like Ole Miss, Auburn, Tenn, etc had 526yds and 6 TDs.

So to say he had 1 good game is just false.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sold yet on picking him at 10 but I have a better feel of what he's all about after watching, reading these two pieces. He's a true competitor that hates losing and takes full responsibility even when it's not his fault. 

Nice write up on what made Brock Bowers what he is today. 

https://uga.rivals.com/news/here-s-what-made-brock-bowers-america-s-top-tight-end?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABvFQAo86Jm4xC-EDSaONR23H03o4jveAtsXms_QxO710e-7y_YumWa5zc4x3rBPM7DUAfl6fG69D-TzEDPhl9nwQKCit0HGjTfUMJbMtt2_KhARK-KM6NfTHNf2qOvlgDs7o9Zs5kudNsEOqa3tt1DXMiuJYbJ0SRZX--ivuly2

Also a highlight reel of his high school senior year

• Upvote 2

I think people here are talking themselves into this kid because it almost seems inevitable that we wind up with him and people want to feel good about the pick.

I don't want him at 10 and would prefer wr first, OT 2nd But I wouldn't send the planes up to fire the fat man if he picks him.

I think he is undersized and not a good fit for the Hackett offense. AR avoids the middle of the field where most te's eat so he can keep his int numbers nice and low. Somehow we think he is going to go against his 18 year history, first year actually playing in a new city for a new team and trust that a rookie won't make him look bad?

Idk fellas.... Seems like a stretch. If AR is gonna flop it won't be because some rookie is "getting adjusted" at the expense of AR's numbers. He is too prideful, cocky, arrogant, etc for that to ever happen. IMO

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

I think people here are talking themselves into this kid because it almost seems inevitable that we wind up with him and people want to feel good about the pick.

I don't want him at 10 and would prefer wr first, OT 2nd But I wouldn't send the planes up to fire the fat man if he picks him.

I think he is undersized and not a good fit for the Hackett offense. AR avoids the middle of the field where most te's eat so he can keep his int numbers nice and low. Somehow we think he is going to go against his 18 year history, first year actually playing in a new city for a new team and trust that a rookie won't make him look bad?

Idk fellas.... Seems like a stretch. If AR is gonna flop it won't be because some rookie is "getting adjusted" at the expense of AR's numbers. He is too prideful, cocky, arrogant, etc for that to ever happen. IMO

I am one trying to talk myself into accepting he may be our pick...

Thanks for the sanest reminder that makes the most sense of why they're not picking Bowers!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'd go with Conklin who had over 60 receptions and 600 plus yards, Ruckert who was improved and see what Kuntz, Yeboah can do over drafting Bowers. 

So Ruckert, Kuntz and Yeboah are allowed to develop and be trusted. But guys like Warren and Mitchell can’t? Seems it’s just an excuse to say you don’t want a TE and want an OT.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The kid went to one of the Top 3 programs in the country, in the toughest conference in the country and dominated from the jump.

Something tells me it won’t take Bowers 3 years to get acclimated to the NFL.

The Jets likely won’t be in position to grab one of the top wideouts unless they move up and Alt will be gone.

I’m not taking an OT just for the sake of taking one. It’s as if everyone is pretending like at least half of the top OT’s won’t be mediocre to complete dogsh*t.

If the Jets end up taking an OT, I won’t be shaking my fists. But the Jets just drafted Warren and Mitchell in back to back drafts and then proceeded to bring in an all-world LT when healthy and what is still a rock solid veteran starter at RT.

Yes, I know we’re all traumatized by past events concerning the OL. But at some point you have to ask yourself if that’s causing you to go completely f*cking overboard trying to over correct.

Now this. This is a this.

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2024 at 12:40 AM, Lupz27 said:

A lot of us do know what we are talking about.

On 4/11/2024 at 1:10 AM, Green Ghost said:

Bored Come On GIF

“A lot of us” is inaccurate but Lupz definitely qualifies.  First and loudest one on the Mahomes train.  

What I have learned in years of watching drafts is to let the whole draft play out before you completely judge it.

You never know when we might trade up and get a guy we really want. Which JD has been known to do.

For people who want a weapon… we are very likely to go OL at 10 or even if we trade back a tiny bit. But I wouldn’t put it past JD to trade up into the 2nd round for a WR he really liked. Maybe a guy like Troy Franklin.

For those who want OT… let’s say we draft Odunze or Bowers at 10. Don’t put it past JD for him to trade up for an OT he really likes. Maybe a guy like Guyton, Mims, Morgan, etc.

Let the draft play out. If we haven’t increased the roster the way I like after round 4 then that’s when I don’t like drafts sometimes. But let a few rounds play out before you judge it.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The kid went to one of the Top 3 programs in the country, in the toughest conference in the country and dominated from the jump.

Something tells me it won’t take Bowers 3 years to get acclimated to the NFL.

The Jets likely won’t be in position to grab one of the top wideouts unless they move up and Alt will be gone.

I’m not taking an OT just for the sake of taking one. It’s as if everyone is pretending like at least half of the top OT’s won’t be mediocre to complete dogsh*t.

If the Jets end up taking an OT, I won’t be shaking my fists. But the Jets just drafted Warren and Mitchell in back to back drafts and then proceeded to bring in an all-world LT when healthy and what is still a rock solid veteran starter at RT.

Yes, I know we’re all traumatized by past events concerning the OL. But at some point you have to ask yourself if that’s causing you to go completely f*cking overboard trying to over correct.

Thank you. The kid dominated from the age of 18 playing the best teams a college player can play. And on top of that had his best games in championship games. He’s a player. Whoever gets him is getting a star

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What I have learned in years of watching drafts is to let the whole draft play out before you completely judge it.

You never know when we might trade up and get a guy we really want. Which JD has been known to do.

For people who want a weapon… we are very likely to go OL at 10 or even if we trade back a tiny bit. But I wouldn’t put it past JD to trade up into the 2nd round for a WR he really liked. Maybe a guy like Troy Franklin.

For those who want OT… let’s say we draft Odunze or Bowers at 10. Don’t put it past JD for him to trade up for an OT he really likes. Maybe a guy like Guyton, Mims, Morgan, etc.

Let the draft play out. If we haven’t increased the roster the way I like after round 4 then that’s when I don’t like drafts sometimes. But let a few rounds play out before you judge it.

I agree with this.  Very deep for wrs, so i can see a slide back in round 1 and then OT, while targeting a wr in late round 2/early round 3.  Very logical way to address 2 key needs in a draft that is deep in them. 

Bowers is great and will add a new dimension to any team that drafts him. But in the end, he's a HB/slot reciever who, at best, you hope will catch 4 passes for 50 yards/game. That's 68 catches for 850 yards. That would be the minimum that can justify taking him at 10, and he needs to learn our blocking scheme and be a dominant inline blocker DAY 1 to justify #10. That's asking a lot from a rookie TE.

It's hard to understand the desperation to spend the #10 on a HB when we could draft an OT that will be here for a decade. 

If JD wants a premier weapon, trade up a few slots for odunze, or trade back, get picks, draft a guy like BTJ.

Ask Atlanta if it was worth drafting a generational "unicorn" TE over Jamar chase? I was laughing when they made that pick. A star wr that can play the X is worth 1000x more than any TE/HB. Ask Detroit what the value of a dominant oline is. It carried them to a championship game, much like it did to us 14 years ago. 

13 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Bowers is great and will add a new dimension to any team that drafts him. But in the end, he's a HB/slot reciever who, at best, you hope will catch 4 passes for 50 yards/game. That's 68 catches for 850 yards. That would be the minimum that can justify taking him at 10, and he needs to learn our blocking scheme and be a dominant inline blocker DAY 1 to justify #10. That's asking a lot from a rookie TE.

It's hard to understand the desperation to spend the #10 on a HB when we could draft an OT that will be here for a decade. 

If JD wants a premier weapon, trade up a few slots for odunze, or trade back, get picks, draft a guy like BTJ.

Ask Atlanta if it was worth drafting a generational "unicorn" TE over Jamar chase? I was laughing when they made that pick. A star wr that can play the X is worth 1000x more than any TE/HB. Ask Detroit what the value of a dominant oline is. It carried them to a championship game, much like it did to us 14 years ago. 

I wouldn’t be mad at taking Odunze but, now I’m not an X’s and O’s Guy but I’m more about the Jimmie’s and joes and slapping hoes but doesn’t a player like a Bowers that you (d coordinator) actually have to gameplan for provide tremendous value because your defensive personnel groupings need to take into consideration he’s on the field and maybe that opens up your offense and allows OTHER players to benefit and they don’t keep stats for that? Like how many yards does that count for?

21 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

What does a meaningless label even matter?

Pass catcher is not a made up position, and that’s really all that matters.

I wouldn’t weigh athletic testing numbers over game film.

Agree with everything.  The only thing I'd counter-argue with are the points Slats made about Bowers catching something like 48% of his passes behind the LOS and then running from there.  THAT is the game film.

I'm no draft expert though and I'll trust JD and team have done their homework if they end up taking him.

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Ask Atlanta if it was worth drafting a unicorn, generational "unicorn" TE over Jamar chase? I was laughing when they made that pick. A star wr that can play the X is worth 1000x more than any TE/HB. Ask Detroit what the value of a dominant oline is. It carried them to a championship game, much like it did to us 14 years ago. 

There is a pretty big gap between #4 and #10.  You are talking about taking the 4th WR.  The 4th WR in the Pitts draft was Kadarius Toney.  I bet the Falcons are really kicking themselves that they didn't trade down for that!  A dominant OL and star X are worth plenty, but when Alt and the top 3 WRs will probably be gone.  You can't just will a trade up or a trade down.  There is no guarantee Thomas will even be there if they trade down.  Then they are sitting on Mitchell or Franklin?  I honestly don't trust any of them eitehr and I don't know what to make of this OL class.  

If I were to trade down I'd probably be looking at Mims/Guyton or whichever of the FaLaLa guys that fall.  Thing is, I expect the good ones to go earlier than being mocked.  Then I'd be looking at taking a WR with the extra pick.  The draft is deep at WR, but I think there is a wide gap from #3 to #4.  I think there will still be quality available in the 2nd to 4th range. 

EDITED to say that I think there is a wide gap from WR3 to WR4 but that is not necessarily in their ability.  It is more their cleanliness as prospects.  I think guys like Thomas and Mitchell might perform as well as some of the top 3, but they just aren't as clean to me.  Lower floors.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Make it sound like Bowers would just stand only in the middle of the field and that's it lol. 

Also, if he's open - AR is getting him the ball. It's simple. WR or TE doesnt matter. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agree with everything.  The only thing I'd counter-argue with are the points Slats made about Bowers catching something like 48% of his passes behind the LOS and then running from there.  THAT is the game film.

I'm no draft expert though and I'll trust JD and team have done their homework if they end up taking him.

I don’t know, it’s tough.

But if you can lead your team, a perennial title contender who farms NFL talent, in receiving two years in a row… I’m not really concerned where you’re catching the ball in the field.

5 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

I don’t know, it’s tough.

But if you can lead your team, a perennial title contender who farms NFL talent, in receiving two years in a row… I’m not really concerned where you’re catching the ball in the field.

I guess the question is whether or not it's a transferable skill.  But just because he might not have been used a certain way (at least very much) in college doesn't mean he can't do other things.  I'm sure JD and his scouts are well aware of this type of stuff (and plenty more) anyway.

We start judging bout 12 minutes after the draft because we can already tell if they are a bust or not.

You new round these parts? Lol

Make it sound like Bowers would just stand only in the middle of the field and that's it lol. 
Also, if he's open - AR is getting him the ball. It's simple. WR or TE doesnt matter. 

No but the most prolific, most successful te in the game make their money in the middle no?

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

That's 68 catches for 850 yards.

And Tyler Conklin had 61 catches and 621 yards last season, and we didn't have to draft him in the first round.  And he is still only 28 years old.

• Sympathy 1

And Tyler Conklin had 61 catches and 621 yards last season, and we didn't have to draft him in the first round.  And he is still only 28 years old.
This makes too much sense, is practical and accurate.

So I guess we are definitely drafting the te with our first pick.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

There is a pretty big gap between #4 and #10.  You are talking about taking the 4th WR.  The 4th WR in the Pitts draft was Kadarius Toney.  I bet the Falcons are really kicking themselves that they didn't trade down for that!  A dominant OL and star X are worth plenty, but when Alt and the top 3 WRs will probably be gone.  You can't just will a trade up or a trade down.  There is no guarantee Thomas will even be there if they trade down.  Then they are sitting on Mitchell or Franklin?  I honestly don't trust any of them eitehr and I don't know what to make of this OL class.  

If I were to trade down I'd probably be looking at Mims/Guyton or whichever of the FaLaLa guys that fall.  Thing is, I expect the good ones to go earlier than being mocked.  Then I'd be looking at taking a WR with the extra pick.  The draft is deep at WR, but I think there is a wide gap from #3 to #4.  I think there will still be quality available in the 2nd to 4th range. 

EDITED to say that I think there is a wide gap from WR3 to WR4 but that is not necessarily in their ability.  It is more their cleanliness as prospects.  I think guys like Thomas and Mitchell might perform as well as some of the top 3, but they just aren't as clean to me.  Lower floors.

Do you see bowers producing 1000 yards per year for the next 5 years catching flanker screens and rpo fakes? Cause that and excellent inline run blocking from day 1 is what it's gonna take to justify spending #10 on a TE. He has to be somewhere between kelce and kittle to justify 10. And day 1, no grace period. You don't draft a HB gadget guy #10 in a win now year. 

I see odunze easily getting 1000+ yards and several touchdowns as a true X on a yearly basis day 1. I don't care that's he's the 3rd best receiver. If you want a weapon, trade up for this kid. If you can't trade up because there are no good deals, try to trade back or take the best damn tackle at 10 because a dominant oline can carry you way farther than a rich man's Kyle Juszczyk.