Trading back 1 spot from 10 to 11

24 hours ago, Vikings fans thought they were going to trade 11, 23, and a future 2 to trade up for McCarthy, but now they’re chapped about losing a measly 4th? I’m calling bullsh*t. Allllll the bullsh*t. Bullsh*t on top of bullsh*t. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Despite this, they didn’t even attempt to call our bluff

Is this true? Because the story out of Atlanta is that both Seattle and Denver were trying to come up for a QB. We know the Rams were trying to get into a top ten? Kwesi Odofo Mensa is a genius analytics guy, but we’re acting like he’s some noob okie bellying up to a roulette table? 

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Disagree with this big time, and I agree with Jason 90% of the time.

The Broncos were taking a QB no matter what.  And, they did with Bo Nix.  I can't fault the Vikings at all for thinking the Jets would trade back just a couple spots with Denver since they knew Denver would take a QB and the Jets would then just have one positional player taken before they picked at #12 with at least two of Olu, Fuaga, and Bowers still on the board.  Vikings were afraid of Denver taking McCarthy....and they were right to be afraid. 

The Broncos were comfortable enough to risk the Vikings taking a QB because they loved Nix in addition to McCarthy.  This isn’t even something that was a secret.  Local Denver media guys have been talking about Nix to the Broncos for a while.  If I were Minnesota, I would have called that bluff.  They didn’t even attempt to do so.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is this true? Because the story out of Atlanta is that both Seattle and Denver were trying to come up for a QB. We know the Rams were trying to get into a top ten? Kwesi Odofo Mensa is a genius analytics guy, but we’re acting like he’s some noob okie bellying up to a roulette table? 

I was 5 Jagerbombs and 2 shots of Tito’s down during the draft and haven’t even begun to catch up on texts or stories, but my early thoughts are that this is a bit of damage control from Atlanta since Cousins is pissed, as well as the fans.  If you were the Jets and Denver was calling for their choice of guy at 12, why would the Jets not just take the Denver offer?  They probably could have gotten a tiny bit more, and since Minnesota was taking a QB no matter what at 11, they would have been safe to go Olu at 12.

• Upvote 1

Those middling picks would not have meant so much if the guy you really want gets sniped by another trade down just becasue you're getting cute.

I do not like mcccathy but if the vikes loved the guy or far preferred him to nix (Remember penix is already gone) and missed out becasue they were too cheap to give the jets one extra pick in the mid rounds the management would have been flayed for years.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

YAY!  We get to draft another perine, mitchell, cam clark,  james morgan!!!   Booo ya! Douglas!

This is what I’m saying 

And that’s back when we had a dogwater roster.

I’d rather zero in on a dude like McConkey who can immediately make an impact out of the slot instead of throwing darts in the late rounds.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I was 5 Jagerbombs and 2 shots of Tito’s down during the draft and haven’t even begun to catch up on texts or stories, but my early thoughts are that this is a bit of damage control from Atlanta since Cousins is pissed, as well as the fans.  If you were the Jets and Denver was calling for their choice of guy at 12, why would the Jets not just take the Denver offer?  They probably could have gotten a tiny bit more, and since Minnesota was taking a QB no matter what at 11, they would have been safe to go Olu at 12.

This presumes Denver offered more? They don’t have a 2 because of the Payton deal. IMO, they’d be offering 2025 picks, which Douglas could give a sh*t about. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Or, they really, really like Olu, and did not want to risk anything. Many ways to spin this.

6 hours ago, Jets723 said:

JD has always been good at trades

Jamal Adams-  one if the biggest heists in our history maybe

sam Darnold- turned into Breece Hall plus a 4th

chris Herndon Blake Cashman-  hit value for then 

Yea so what happened with Zach? Where are the 2 #1's we should have gotten. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Credit for what? He swapped picks with an out of conference team so they could pick a guy we had no interest in. 

I think you’re making his argument for him. We got “free picks” 

So JD called up the Vikings, said we have an offer from Team X for #10.  If you want to secure your guy, you need to swap picks with us and beat their offer.  But the whole thing was a fabrication, and the Vikings didn't do anything to confirm that such an offer was actually in place?

I would think that there is some unwritten code for being honest in your conversations with other GMs during draft day trades, but perhaps I'm way off, and they are just lying and bluffing to each other all the time.  Seems like a silly way to operate and burn bridges.

I would like to think that there was actually a team such as Denver or Oakland with an offer to trade up to #10 for McCarthy.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This presumes Denver offered more? They don’t have a 2 because of the Payton deal. IMO, they’d be offering 2025 picks, which Douglas could give a sh*t about. 

Right but, expanding even further, that’s even more reason for Minnesota to call the Jets bluff then.  If you’re a GM worth your salt, you know Joe wouldn’t get value trading with Denver so, unless they were offering something out-of-this-world to jump you, the Jets probably aren’t moving down to 12 out of the goodness of their heart, so why would you pony up anything to get a guy that you, for all intents and purposes, would get at 11 for nothing more than the cost of that pick?

I agree with this point and that is why I am saying Denver desperately trying to jump up doesn’t sound like anything rooted in truth.  They didn’t have the ammo.  If I can recognize this as a fan on a message board, a good front office for an NFL team should be able to do the same.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Or, they really, really like Olu, and did not want to risk anything. Many ways to spin this.

They did, but what are they risking?  11 & 12 were always going to be QBs, so unless you were of the belief that Minnesota traded all of that draft capital to pick another position or Denver was content with going into TC with a QB room of Jarrett Stidham, Zach Wilson, and Ben DiNucci, why would you be scared of trading with one of those 2 teams?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

24 hours ago, Vikings fans thought they were going to trade 11, 23, and a future 2 to trade up for McCarthy, but now they’re chapped about losing a measly 4th? I’m calling bullsh*t. Allllll the bullsh*t. Bullsh*t on top of bullsh*t. 

I don’t think they’re chapped about the pick they gave up; I think they’re chapped because there is no reason that they needed to give up the pick and the fact that they did means their GM fell hook, line, and sinker for a bluff.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Right but, expanding even further, that’s even more reason for Minnesota to call the Jets bluff then.  If you’re a GM worth your salt, you know Joe wouldn’t get value trading with Denver so, unless they were offering something out-of-this-world to jump you, the Jets probably aren’t moving down to 12 out of the goodness of their heart, so why would you pony up anything to get a guy that you, for all intents and purposes, would get at 11 for nothing more than the cost of that pick?

I agree with this point and that is why I am saying Denver desperately trying to jump up doesn’t sound like anything rooted in truth.  They didn’t have the ammo.

They did, but what are they risking?  11 & 12 were always going to be QBs, so unless you were of the belief that Minnesota traded all of that draft capital to pick another position or Denver was content with going into TC with a QB room of Jarrett Stidham, Zach Wilson, and Ben DiNucci, why would you be scared of trading with one of those 2 teams?

Maybe they were offering a player (Sutton/Mims) instead of 2025 picks?  

8 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Maybe they were offering a player (Sutton/Mims) instead of 2025 picks?  

That’s the only thing I could think of when typing, but I didn’t include that in my post because the Jets, realistically, can’t afford the contract for Sutton as of right now and Mims doesn’t really move the needle so, again, if I can see that from my computer screen than the Vikings should as well.

• Upvote 1

Thought it was a good trade.  Who knows how JD operated.  Could have been giving Minny a first look or could have actually had an offer from Denver but offered Minny the last look to only move back the one spot.  Bluffing, while impressive, can really blow up on you when the Minny GM asks the Denver GM if he made an offer.   It’s a small fraternity and I have no doubt word would spread like wildfire that JD is not a man to be trusted.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

They didn’t have the ammo.  If I can recognize this as a fan on a message board, a good front office for an NFL team should be able to do the same.

I don’t want to be too persistent about this, but I think you’re making a huge leap here that nobody else was offering the Jets anything to get to 10, I guess. The post-draft scuttlebutt was all about how Atlanta sticking at 8 to take Penix upended several teams’ QB draft plans. With Chicago not moving off of 9 because they wanted Odunze, that makes the Jets the next and only target for anyone wanting McCarthy which, allegedly, several teams did. The Vikings entire draft was built around getting McCarthy or Maye and they had been boned sideways up to that point. 

4 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

So he doesn’t deserve credit for making a good, albeit “no-brainer” move and he clearly wouldn’t deserve credit if he hadn’t have made that move, so by your logic JD never deserves any credit.  👌 

The ball washing the GM of one of the worst 3 teams in the NFL last 5 years gets is astounding.   We have a terrible record under him but if he washes his ass well. People orgasm.  His record is worse than McCagnons.   

Nit directed  at you ….     But in general  

put his work in context.  Hide the name and say…. 5 year GM, 2 first round busts, his record is X, has fanned on X FA signings etc…..  in 2 of his drafts none of the players are contributing    Only homers laud that guy.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1