Malachi Corley vs Rashee Rice

Rice is better at route running and contested catches.

Corley’s college “route tree” consisted of screens, nines, shallow crossers / rub / mesh routes, and the occasional double move.

Corley struggled fighting through contact both on his routes and trying to secure the catch.

After the catch is another story obviously, where he shined.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Corley’s college “route tree” consisted of screens, nines, shallow crossers / rub / mesh routes, and the occasional double move.

Corley struggled fighting through contact both on his routes and trying to secure the catch.

Rices contested catch rate was 14 percent last year. His avg depth of target was 4.9 though 

8 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

We'll see how he does in rookie camp in a few weeks

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Different style of player, but Corley has the toughness that reminds me of Steve smith. Same height as well. Hopefully it translates  

Steve Smith was a great downfield receiver. This kid isn’t. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This specific player has softened the blow of losing/helped me forget about my boyfriend in Las Vegas (although do you ever really forget your true loves?) 

Upvote for the emotional resilience you're showing here.  We've all lost a player we loved, although one can argue that it's sometimes worse if the Jets actually draft the player you love (see: Sam Darnold).  I may never recover from that one.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This specific player has softened the blow of losing/helped me forget about my boyfriend in Las Vegas

There’s a saying about what happens in Vegas.

• Haha 2

My completely realistic, reasonable expectation for Corley is a more physical Chrebet/Coles hybrid. I’m maybe only being half sarcastic here. I think he’s a talented, smart kid who wants to be better. I would not discount his ability to become effective as more than “just a slot,” down the road. This year, I expect a lot of short and underneath stuff that just gets the ball in his hands, with some downfield stuff thrown in to keep everyone honest. 

Rodgers top targets are gonna be Wilson and Breece, imho. Williams, Conklin, and -I believe- Corley will be in competition for the next batch. Lazard is probably next man up as Rodgers’ bro, and after that it’s a battle for scraps. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I know we have all been using the Deebo comp for Corley (myself included). However, I thought about this the other day and heard someone else use it on the radio: the better comp may be a YOUNG (not 2023) Randall Cobb.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CobbRa00.htm

I don’t remember who said it, but that comparison was definitely made on either ESPN or NFL network during draft coverage. 

• Upvote 1

Since we're throwing out stats comparing Corley yesterday Michael Nania had an article which claims that a WR's bust potential can be pretty accurately predicted on this one key metric.

If a receiver in college runs under 2 yards per route run the implied bust rate is between 97 -99.5 %

Here's the list of this year's drafted WR's with their YPRR #'s, all below 2 yards predict to be a bust 97% +

Here are the career YPRR averages of the top 12 wide receivers selected in 2024:

• 1. Marvin Harrison Jr., #4, Cardinals (2.98)
  • 2. Malik Nabers, #6, Giants (2.83)
  • 3. Ladd McConkey, #34, Chargers (2.54)
  • 4. Rome Odunze, #9 Bears (2.50)
  • 5. Malachi Corley, #65, Jets (2.22)
  • 6. Xavier Worthy, #28, Chiefs (2.21)
  • ===Bust watch===
  • 7. Ricky Pearsall, #31, 49ers (1.99)
  • 8. Ja’Lynn Polk, #37, Patriots (1.95)
  • 8. Brian Thomas Jr., #23, Jaguars (1.95)
  • 10. Keon Coleman, #33, Bills (1.87)
  • 11. Xavier Legette, #32, Panthers (1.75)
  • 12. Adonai Mitchell, #52, Colts (1.68)

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Add in some slant routes, and that was basically Rice's route tree with the Chiefs. If he possesses these superior route running skills, the team definitely didn't take advantage of them

Not really similar college players but I guess see what you mean in terms of usage in the pros.  I see Laviska Shenault in Corley.  That's the best comp I've come up w/ so far.  Very similar style, bodies, etc.  Hopefully Corley is better.

3 hours ago, slats said:

Rodgers top targets are gonna be Wilson and Breece, imho. Williams, Conklin, and -I believe- Corley will be in competition for the next batch. Lazard is probably next man up as Rodgers’ bro, and after that it’s a battle for scraps. 

Assuming our OC is aware of Breece's pass catching ability.

Counting on Malachi to contribute anything significant as a rookie is just stupid on the part of the Jets.

They need to get another legit #1 WR on this team. Current WR corps is nothing but Garrett Wilson, question marks and JAGs. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I know Corleys been compared to Deebo, but I think this one is more accurate. He's basically a stouter Rice, which is still pretty good. 

The Chiefs used Rice in the way the Jets are probably (hopefully) going to use Corley, short depth of target, very few downfield receptions. 

Corley's average depth of target last year was 6.1. Rice's (on the Chiefs) was 4.9.  Rice only had 8 targets of 20+ yards on the entire season.

Corley's contested catch rate was 22. Last year Rice's was 14 percent. 

(Credit to Brett Kollmann because I'M not doing that kind of research)

This specific player has softened the blow of losing/helped me forget about my boyfriend in Las Vegas (although do you ever really forget your true loves?) 

He helps you in pass protection obviously as well.

I think it's all a matter of whether Nathaniel earns his money or not. The kid is a weapon that will open up the offense perhaps even more than Rice opened up the Chiefs offense because they had ugazz at wide receiver. 

Brett Kollman loved Christian Hackenberg. He's a Maccagnan-level scout whose real talent is video production. 

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry to be the cynic in this thread, but to me this isn't even close. Rice is drastically better at route running and creating short area separation, does not really look to create contact or run physically, and has much better hands catching away from his body. He has a slightly larger frame than Corley too and isn't as compact/muscular, though he's close. 

Rice also developed during the course of the year, he runs nice intermediate routes and looks like he could (pending charges?) be the legit wr1 for KC. He does a lot more for them than just short routes, 12ypc is not too shabby. Dude almost had 1k yards last year. Corley is not touching that and isn't nearly on the same level at current, and not just because he'll be #3 at best on this depth chart. I'll honestly be thrilled if he even makes it to Rice's current level as a pure WR. 

Edit: oh, also, Rice operated out of the slot less than half the time. He ranked #3 in separation rate on his targets. I'd give my left nut to have him opposite GW honestly 

8 minutes ago, Barton said:

Counting on Malachi to contribute anything significant as a rookie is just stupid on the part of the Jets.

They need to get another legit #1 WR on this team. Current WR corps is nothing but Garrett Wilson, question marks and JAGs. 

Why Douglas did not draft another WR mid round is just another example of him having blinders on.   Lots of really good prospects rounds 4 and lower an he took two rbs instead.   Refused to take a guard in the draft as well in deep oline draft.   Fora Gm with so much promise he sure makes some dumb decisions.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why Douglas did not draft another WR mid round is just another example of him having blinders on.   Lots of really good prospects rounds 4 and lower an he took two rbs instead.   Refused to take a guard in the draft as well in deep oline draft.   Fora Gm with so much promise he sure makes some dumb decisions.

It really hurt me to see that we almost took Roman Wilson instead in that 1JD show. The fact that the steelers took him tells me everything. But also, agreed, even if we love Corley other good prospects were available later that offered different skill sets that could still add value. Particularly in another year or two when Mike Williams and possibly Lazard may be gone.