Jets’ draft room video shows Falcons wanted to make another stunning move after drafting Michael Penix

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

This is an exaggeration. Penix will be 24 at the start of next season.

Cousins will likely be the QB there this year (2024) and next year (2025), based on his contract (although, if it went really badly this year and they were willing to eat a 40M cap hit, they could move on from him after one year).

So, assuming 2 years of Cousins, Penix will be 26 when he gets the keys to the franchise. 

So you think they gave him a hundred mil gtd for 2 seasons?

26?  27?  28?  All dumb.

2 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

What would you accept if you traded it out of the first round from 10?

2024 2nd and 2025 first?

For me, I would accept their 2024 2nd, 2024 3rd, 2025 1st, and 2025 2nd.  And I'm not sure that would enough.

If you remember, the Jets had to give up 3- 2nd round picks in order to go from #6 to #3 in the first round when getting Sam Darnold.

That's 3 - 2nd round picks to move up 3 spots.  You're asking the Jets to move completely out of the first round.  

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Who even cares?

Drop from the Top 10 to completely out of Round 1 when you’re as “all in” as all in can possibly get?

F*ck that silliness seven ways to sundown

I mean if they were making a strong offer with a player or players it could be interesting.

2024 2nd, 3rd 

2025 1st, 3rd

Kyle Pitts

35 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Our genius of a HC ran Breece Hall into the ground (37 carries, by far his most) the final week of the season so we could "enjoy this win all offseason!"  He also ran Breece 20 times in a meaningless against the Commies, which was his 3rd most carries of the year. 

No games are meaningless when you're going to have a Wins-Losses-Ties number permanently attached to your name even if you're not the coach here anymore.   No player slacks off to lose, no coach tanks for a lottery ticket.

You are never going to be at risk of being allowed to be a fan.  These guys are playing and coaching for their livelihood.   Even if you take away the whole 'who wants to play for a losing team' effect on Free Agency player salaries, it just won't work.

In the very rare cases the owner wants to tank (see Trevor Lawrence)  you want to do it right - you have to guarantee the GM a long term deal, then get them to IR the players who could help you win.  Otherwise, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME..... HELLLLLO!

• Post of the Week 2

16 minutes ago, Claymation said:

It seems to me that Atlanta would rather take a penix in their 8-hole.

This is well done and we have no choice but to assume you made it up.  Nice work!

11 minutes ago, Edgy said:

No games are meaningless when you're going to have a Wins-Losses-Ties number permanently attached to your name even if you're not the coach here anymore.   No player slacks off to lose, no coach tanks for a lottery ticket.

You are never going to be at risk of being allowed to be a fan.  These guys are playing and coaching for their livelihood.   Even if you take away the whole 'who wants to play for a losing team' effect on Free Agency player salaries, it just won't work.

In the very rare cases the owner wants to tank (see Trevor Lawrence)  you want to do it right - you have to guarantee the GM a long term deal, then get them to IR the players who could help you win.  Otherwise, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME..... HELLLLLO!

Reactions to Doug Pederson "tanking" the Philadelphia Eagles

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Wow

why didnt they trade with us to gain something and take penix at 10

They are idiots. Could have traded all way back to 20th and still easily took penix. Could have maneuvered back in 1st with comp from that trade down. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So you think they gave him a hundred mil gtd for 2 seasons?

Possibly. It depends on how it goes. How much money did Russell Wilson have guaranteed in Denver? It sounds like they can move on from Kirk after 2 years if it doesn’t work out.

46 minutes ago, AFJF said:

26?  27?  28?  All dumb.

It may or may not be dumb, but if Penix takes over when he’s 26, he’ll have 4 full seasons as the falcons QB before he turns 30. 

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The other interesting thing about that video is that it sure sounds like JD wanted to trade up to #8.

If they were smart they would have. Nobody was picking penix before late first. They may be the biggest idiot front office ever. If Chicago really wanted Odunze, Atlanta could have done what jets did to Vikings. Obviously bears weren’t picking penix ha, make them trade down to 8, or say will trade back to jets who will take Odunze. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He also got the best available job out there.

thats not because he tanked that game. and he got that job a year later not right after.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

thats not because he tanked that game. and he got that job a year later not right after.

My point is that it goes on, despite people saying it doesn't.  Jax also put Mike Glennon in there the final couple of games in 2020 to secure Trevor Lawrence

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My point is that it goes on, despite people saying it doesn't.  Jax also put Mike Glennon in there the final couple of games in 2020 to secure Trevor Lawrence

by another HC who got fired. 

those things are ordered by the owner. there is no way Doug Marrone did that so the next HC could have Trevor Lawerence. and i doubt very much Woody would have ordered Saleh to bench everyone so NE could beat us for the 14 time in a row.

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, doitny said:

by another HC who got fired. 

those things are ordered by the owner. there is no way Doug Marrone did that so the next HC could have Trevor Lawerence. and i doubt very much Woody would have ordered Saleh to bench everyone so NE could beat us for the 14 time in a row.

All we had to do was say "this is the game we play Izzy instead of Breece".  And that would've actually made sense to both protect Breece as well as get a sense of what we have in Izzy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Possibly. It depends on how it goes. How much money did Russell Wilson have guaranteed in Denver? It sounds like they can move on from Kirk after 2 years if it doesn’t work out.

It may or may not be dumb, but if Penix takes over when he’s 26, he’ll have 4 full seasons as the falcons QB before he turns 30. 

I agree with that.  If the falcons decide they want to go $50 mil per year on Cousins for 2 years and Penix is dominant, that would be great for them from a draft standpoint.

But then paying Cousins $50 mil per year for 2 years becomes one of the dumbest things we've ever seen.

10 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If they were smart they would have. Nobody was picking penix before late first. They may be the biggest idiot front office ever. If Chicago really wanted Odunze, Atlanta could have done what jets did to Vikings. Obviously bears weren’t picking penix ha, make them trade down to 8, or say will trade back to jets who will take Odunze. 

I think they easily could’ve gotten away with trading back to #10 with the Jets. Not because no one else wanted Penix (Raiders 100% take him if he’s there at #13), but because no one ever thought that the Falcons were interested in a QB. Every mock draft had them going defense at #8. They just gave Cousins a $180M contract. There were no whispers, no rumors, and it’s still the biggest draft day surprise. I doubt the Jets were offering much more than #111, but a free pick is a free pick. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I think they easily could’ve gotten away with trading back to #10 with the Jets. Not because no one else wanted Penix (Raiders 100% take him if he’s there at #13), but because no one ever thought that the Falcons were interested in a QB. Every mock draft had them going defense at #8. They just gave Cousins a $180M contract. There were no whispers, no rumors, and it’s still the biggest draft day surprise. I doubt the Jets were offering much more than #111, but a free pick is a free pick. 

I fully buy that other teams were interested in moving up for Penix so I guess the question is if the Jets move up and take Odunze, do the Bears sell at 9 since their guy is gone.

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Our genius of a HC ran Breece Hall into the ground (37 carries, by far his most) the final week of the season so we could "enjoy this win all offseason!"  He also ran Breece 20 times in a meaningless against the Commies, which was his 3rd most carries of the year. 

And if he didn’t run Hall and they won the game anyway you’d be crying he passed the ball 40 times.  
Players play to win, coaches don’t turn those wins into loses chasing players they don’t know in January that will be available in April.  Plus months of moaning Salehs team only won 6 and were swept by the shltty Pats.  
To a man on 1JD the players were talking about going out to win that last game.  Moaning that they didn’t tank in their last game is such a waste of time, that’s not how football players or coaches think.  With good reason

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

I fully buy that other teams were interested in moving up for Penix so I guess the question is if the Jets move up and take Odunze, do the Bears sell at 9 since their guy is gone.

What other teams, though? Do the Raiders try to get up to #9? I’d bet they were highly confident that Penix was going to fall to them. McCarthy to the Vikes and Nix to Denver had pretty much taken hold as the narrative. Was there another team(s?) that wanted to get ahead of the Raiders? 

Even so, if they called the Falcons about another trade down before talking to the Bears, as the Falcons I would’ve told them to get back to me when I’m on the clock. I think that team would’ve expected that Atlanta wanted the top defender there, just like everyone else. 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

What other teams, though? Do the Raiders try to get up to #9? I’d bet they were highly confident that Penix was going to fall to them. McCarthy to the Vikes and Nix to Denver had pretty much taken hold as the narrative. Was there another team(s?) that wanted to get ahead of the Raiders? 

Even so, if they called the Falcons about another trade down before talking to the Bears, as the Falcons I would’ve told them to get back to me when I’m on the clock. I think that team would’ve expected that Atlanta wanted the top defender there, just like everyone else. 

Seems like teams targeted their guy in the top 15 or so, esp. in the top 12 and didn’t want to move off of that.  So atlanta wanted to have its cake and eat it too, get their favorite qb and edge rusher and throw the jets some day 2 picks and next year’s 1.  There was no way the jets were doing that, trading out of the first round entirely with so many good players there at 10.  

The good thing is that with so many teams now invested in qbs the jets should be able to get one a bit easier in the next year or two if they want, at least in theory

16 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Wow

why didnt they trade with us to gain something and take penix at 10

Kinda crazy when you think about it.  They could have "gotten something for nothing", as JD called it when he moved down to 11.  I guess the chances are someone could have jumped them at 9 with the Bears and taken Penix.  I think most likely if that happened though it would have been the Vikings, and I think it was pretty clear they wanted JJ.  Still I guess I understand saying "**** the 3rd rounder, I'd rather play it safe and just take my guy", since I'm guessing that's what the price would have been.

Still, as much as I like Olu and the foundation we've put together on this OL, the thought of walking away with Rome would have been pretty damn exciting.  If Olu and Corley both become what we hope they will, this could be one of those "remember when we almost traded up to 8?  Thank god that fell through" type situations....at least I hope it does.

26 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

The most consistent thing I had read about Bears draft was that they wanted Odunze or Fashanu or trade out of 9.  (Just like the Jets at #10... identical).   Both were there at 9.   

Two years in a row that Jd/Salad have come within a pubic hair of getting their main guy,

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The most consistent thing I had read about Bears draft was that they wanted Odunze or Fashanu or trade out of 9.  (Just like the Jets at #10... identical).   Both were there at 9.   

Two years in a row that Jd/Salad have come within a pubic hair of getting their main guy,

I like rome but he was the wrong pick at 10 for the jets IMO.  Given the totality of their needs on offense, and given no 2nd rounder, they seem to have hit the best case scenario for rounds 1-3.  True LTs who are good in pass pro are hard to find and Fashanu is a young one too.  I also think what we’re seeing in the nfl is that there’s a nice 2nd and 3rd tier of wrs who have 4.5ish speed and if you put them in decent situations they’re going to produce.