Justin Fields Chicago Bears post-mortem. Some interesting quotes

Wilson stinks

Fields stinks about as bad.

People continue to bring up one terrible player to say a guy they like is not terrible.  No they both stink.

That whole draft class QB wise stinks even the 'generational' Lawrence is no great shakes.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

This is actually a pretty intriguing idea. I feel like QBs being scouted or on visits might be resistant to this, particularly if they feel like they have something to lose from it or can't practice it beforehand, but it'd be veeeery interesting if something like this was part of the combine or standard scouting. 

There IS the Wonderlic test. I didn't hear much about the results of that this year though - did they stop it? I have no idea if it has a speed / processing component either.

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're timed on the test so I do believe having quick processing helps you with it.  I only know because one year our Fantasy Football league had everyone take the Wonderlic, and the highest scores got first dibs on choosing their draft slot, lol.  (I think I came in 2nd or 3rd).  Problem is I don't think everyone in the draft process takes the Wonderlic seriously, so some guys get low scores simply because they don't care.  I think Marino is a famous example of this.  I don't think he was as dumb/slow as his score indicated.

Processing speed is also something that can be evaluated across numerous sports and activities.  While I've never been too bright and am certainly not a good athlete, I do have quick processing speed that has helped me in a lot of areas.  On a line drive hit back to me while on the mound, for instance, I can get my glove on it quicker than others.  I'm sure some here can relate to that kind of thing.

Marino isn’t a great example because back when he took it no one really cared much how they did, so the can’t prep wasn’t put in by the players before taking it. Never mind there weren’t as many old tests floating around to practice, or strategic advice given to skip any questions that take longer and come back to them last. Could be he just spent too much time on literally one or two earlier questions and never saw half the questions after them, but bad scores presume he was too dumb to solve most of them quickly rather than effectively employing a strategy that would guarantee seeing all the fast-solved ones. 

The wonderlic is stupid for this purpose because it doesn’t eliminate problems that take more than 2-4 seconds to solve. If it was 500 quick questions in a time frame and the score was based on how many solved correctly then it’d have more use in evaluating someone who only has 2-4 seconds to choose his action wisely. 

Even then it’s an issue because fatigue in consecutive problem solving can set in (even when going no huddle, football plays get breaks between the plays; they’re not rapid fire one after the other with zero seconds in between them).

So really I’d fall back on that test not being translatable:

The Jets had one of these Wonderlic champs not so long ago, who at least was athletic enough, threw a football well enough, and had requisite size enough to get drafted. Then when he got his chance he put on a clinic on how - when the OL is struggling - you don’t get 7-30 seconds to solve math/logic problems from a safe desk, as he took like 8 sacks in his only start filling in for a comparatively mush-brained Sanchez who sucked yet was still far, far better.

The Wonderlic should be given to coaches, though. Jets coaches in particular, lol. 

• Upvote 2

QB processing speed has traditionally been something that gets better with experience. For some (most) the bridge is just too far to ever cross, of course, but it’s just not accurate that everyone who starts out really lousy & overwhelmed stays such.

Its easier now in no small part because technology makes that learning curve faster than having to literally watch film from a projector (limiting how many things there are to watch, and how exhaustingly long it surely took to get through it) before again practicing to translate that to the field. Cuts that time to a small fraction, as well as the time it takes teams’ film guys to compile them for the players. Along with comparatively cushy rule changes that disproportionately favor the offense, it’s undoubtedly a big reason why young QBs mature so much faster now than before, when it used to be pretty common to be overwhelmed after getting drafted and it took years for things to seem to slow down enough where a QB isn’t so easily fooled & confused, if not outright overwhelmed.

Marino was brought up earlier; well how many rookies before him were that good right away? Maybe there was one but I can’t think of any offhand, and anyway it was preposterously unusual at best. Even a prolific HOF passer like Fouts was mostly awful until he was about 30. Nothing like now, where it’s hardly uncommon for rookies to be deserved pro bowlers and for rookie & 2nd year QBs carry their teams to the playoffs. Did Fouts lack processing speed for 5 years? Did Testaverde? Captain Wonderlic Ryan Fitzpatrick? It’s not hard to list many others.

For some it just clicks later than for others. For most it never does so it’s hardly worth sticking it out with someone struggling so badly for 2-3 seasons when the odds are he’ll never be good enough anyway. It’s too hard to predict, and regimes change while waiting in the meantime, if you don’t consistently see “it” early on.

Doesn’t mean none of them could’ve planned out into a usable starter for a while. It means it’s not worth finding out if he’s in that lower percentage who will, when it’s pretty easy to find better in the meantime and when that waiting costs coaching and FO jobs while teams wait.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

The Bears have to put this stuff out there now, no? I mean, it cannot be their fault he failed and who could blame them for moving on.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Bears could also be sending Caleb and his entourage a message.  If you don’t want to be Justin 2.0 don’t act like Justin 2.0.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Wilson stinks

Fields stinks about as bad.

People continue to bring up one terrible player to say a guy they like is not terrible.  No they both stink.

That whole draft class QB wise stinks even the 'generational' Lawrence is no great shakes.

This was their mistake, and there were a couple of us saying so at the time. They should’ve stuck with Darnold for the rookie seasons of Saleh as a HC and LaFluer as an OC. It was too much to add a rookie QB into that mix, especially a bad one. Except they were all bad. But at the time, it was Darnold who was the worst QB in the history of the sport and he was getting run out of town. Getting the 2nd & 5th for Darnold softened the blow, but I’d’ve preferred Darnold slinging it to Ja’Marr Chase that year. See what happens. 

22 minutes ago, slats said:

This was their mistake, and there were a couple of us saying so at the time. They should’ve stuck with Darnold for the rookie seasons of Saleh as a HC and LaFluer as an OC. It was too much to add a rookie QB into that mix, especially a bad one. Except they were all bad. But at the time, it was Darnold who was the worst QB in the history of the sport and he was getting run out of town. Getting the 2nd & 5th for Darnold softened the blow, but I’d’ve preferred Darnold slinging it to Ja’Marr Chase that year. See what happens. 

It is peak Jets that something like 6 out of the next 10 picks went on to become Pro Bowlers and/or All Pros and the Jets whiffed on all of them. Jets picked second in one of the most loaded first rounds and still blew it. In a way it's kind of liberating because I used to get mad when the Jets would play themselves out of higher draft slots, but the reality is no matter what they do they will screw it up. 

• Upvote 4
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

QB processing speed has traditionally been something that gets better with experience.

Well of course, but there's still an upper limit.  People love to think that DNA can be usurped in lots of situations but its no secret that it accounts for ~ 65 % of who we are and the upper limit of what we're capable.  It isn't just a matter of a guy being "overwhelmed", its a direct factor of their brains being a tick slow processing stimuli. 

Drew Brees famously had a supercomputer brain PLUS elite accuracy hence why he was able to overcome being short and not a tremendous athlete.  He struggled early in his career, yes, but the basic tools were pretty apparent early on.  Peyton Manning was in this category too.

34 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It is peak Jets that something like 6 out of the next 10 picks went on to become Pro Bowlers and/or All Pros and the Jets whiffed on all of them. Jets picked second in one of the most loaded first rounds and still blew it. In a way it's kind of liberating because I used to get mad when the Jets would play themselves out of higher draft slots, but the reality is no matter what they do they will screw it up. 

On the other hand, Adams and Leonard Williams are two of those Pro Bowler or All Pro types in most drafts.  I'd rather they take the swing.  Dave Kingman style, baby!

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

On the other hand, Adams and Leonard Williams are two of those Pro Bowler or All Pro types in most drafts.  I'd rather they take the swing.  Dave Kingman style, baby!

More like Ed Kranepool

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well of course, but there's still an upper limit.  People love to think that DNA can be usurped in lots of situations but its no secret that it accounts for ~ 65 % of who we are and the upper limit of what we're capable.  It isn't just a matter of a guy being "overwhelmed", its a direct factor of their brains being a tick slow processing stimuli. 

Drew Brees famously had a supercomputer brain PLUS elite accuracy hence why he was able to overcome being short and not a tremendous athlete.  He struggled early in his career, yes, but the basic tools were pretty apparent early on.  Peyton Manning was in this category too.

I think a huge part of the problem is psychology.  Some people can process very quickly, but their mind can get cluttered under different circumstances.  It might be "choking" where they can't take the pressure.  It might be fear of the pass rush.  It might be getting too excited and jumping the gun too quickly when they see something positive without working through it those split seconds. 

Coaches try to make things simple and give easy cues to put QBs in the right position.  If the deep safety does this, do this.  If the corner drops, do this.  Just like the lower quality of competition, the cues can be simpler and teams are less able to disguise their intentions.  I think this is what happened with Darnold "seeing ghosts."  He does what he is supposed to but the D isn't where he expects.  Belichick (is a scumbag) is (was?) a master of that.  I don't think UCLA was going to pull off quite the same level of trickery.

Some guys can progress, either because their processing speed increases or they pay attention to less noise.  We may only be able to hit that Pujols test button so quickly, but I think a bigger part of the problem is when they are doing twenty other things and then somebody yells "HIT THE BUTTON!"  That will probably take considerably longer.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think a huge part of the problem is psychology.  Some people can process very quickly, but their mind can get cluttered under different circumstances.  It might be "choking" where they can't take the pressure.  It might be fear of the pass rush.  It might be getting too excited and jumping the gun too quickly when they see something positive without working through it those split seconds. 

Coaches try to make things simple and give easy cues to put QBs in the right position.  If the deep safety does this, do this.  If the corner drops, do this.  Just like the lower quality of competition, the cues can be simpler and teams are less able to disguise their intentions.  I think this is what happened with Darnold "seeing ghosts."  He does what he is supposed to but the D isn't where he expects.  Belichick (is a scumbag) is (was?) a master of that.  I don't think UCLA was going to pull off quite the same level of trickery.

Some guys can progress, either because their processing speed increases or they pay attention to less noise.  We may only be able to hit that Pujols test button so quickly, but I think a bigger part of the problem is when they are doing twenty other things and then somebody yells "HIT THE BUTTON!"  That will probably take considerably longer.  

It wasn’t just Pujols’ processing speed in the tests, it was his brain’s strategy too, so there’s truth to what you’re saying.  Then again, the way Pujols processed stimuli may well have been something ingrained in him when he was very young OR even DNA-driven too.  

Cutting out the noise and focusing on the important stimuli is the gray area here - is it more DNA or learned behavior?  Some people just naturally have better brains of course, and not just in the academic sense.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It wasn’t just Pujols’ processing speed in the tests, it was his brain’s strategy too, so there’s truth to what you’re saying.  Then again, the way Pujols processed stimuli may well have been something ingrained in him when he was very young OR even DNA-driven too.  

Right, but it is hard to determine when the processing speed is too slow until it is too slow.  When things are working it is very difficult to tell if one guy is processing things a split second faster - 3 seconds is an eternity - when they are both throwing completions.  You only notice it is  slow when it is too slow to work.  That is why they concentrate so much on throwing people open and prospects that don't "wait until they see it." 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

I'd say it differently, because I don't think it was "Darnold" specifically.

The Jets needed to have a competitive veteran QB to run rabbit against Wilson in camp, and to start if/when Wilson wasn't ready to out-compete that Veteran.

This is something every team should frankly have every time they draft a young QB, and yet few (none) seem to do it. 

Us especially, our Jets love corronations over competitions when it comes to QB's.

That Vet didn't need to be Darnold.  It just needed to be competent and given a fair shake against a clearly unready Wilson.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Jets needed to have a competitive veteran QB to run rabbit against Wilson in camp, and to start if/when Wilson wasn't ready to out-compete that Veteran.

This is something every team should frankly have every time they draft a young QB, and yet few (none) seem to do it. 

Us especially, our Jets love corronations over competitions when it comes to QB's.

That Vet didn't need to be Darnold.  It just needed to be competent and given a fair shake against a clearly unready Wilson.

No, my point was that we shouldn’t’ve drafted a QB that year at all. Maybe bring in veteran competition for Darnold, if anything. This is in no way me saying that I think Darnold could’ve been the team’s answer at QB, only that that was a tear down year, anyway, and it was a terrible plan to try to develop a QB there. 

Patriots seem to be following the same dumb plan this year. And the Bears might be following it exactly, by dumping one bad young QB for a potentially worse one, although at least they have some weapons to work with. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, slats said:

No, my point was that we shouldn’t’ve drafted a QB that year at all. Maybe bring in veteran competition for Darnold, if anything. This is in no way me saying that I think Darnold could’ve been the team’s answer at QB, only that that was a tear down year, anyway, and it was a terrible plan to try to develop a QB there. 

Patriots seem to be following the same dumb plan this year. And the Bears might be following it exactly, by dumping one bad young QB for a potentially worse one, although at least they have some weapons to work with. 

I am going to push back on this.

Tom Curran was banging the drum and still is that the Patriots should have passed on drafting a QB at 3 to build the roster.  Then in the future draft the QB.   That is fine in theory, but it is just as big a crap shoot as drafting a QB.

The NFL has shown that if you want to compete every year you need a top 5 QB.  Giving Mac Jones Marvin Harrison might have won more games in 2024, but would it elevate him into the top 5?  No. 

I think it is prudent to take swing and draft a QB until you have that top tier guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, PFSIKH said:

I am going to push back on this.

Tom Curran was banging the drum and still is that the Patriots should have passed on drafting a QB at 3 to build the roster.  Then in the future draft the QB.   That is fine in theory, but it is just as big a crap shoot as drafting a QB.

The NFL has shown that if you want to compete every year you need a top 5 QB.  Giving Mac Jones Marvin Harrison might have won more games in 2024, but would it elevate him into the top 5?  No. 

I think it is prudent to take swing and draft a QB until you have that top tier guy.

I understand this, and also have a way too intimate understanding of how often these high QBs bust, and what sort of structure you want to have in place to do it right. Pats, like the Jets with Zach, will be breaking in a rookie head coach and QB together, on a roster that still needs some significant work. Imho, not exactly a recipe for success. It’s the QB who’ll be asked to do heavy lifting. 

In real time, I did not want the Jets to take any QB the year they took Zach. If they had gone my preferred route, I have little doubt that they would’ve been better off. Even if they fell for Pitts. 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I used to think so, but the problem is that every swing the Jets take they miss so epically on. Missing on Sanchez or Hackenberg because you ignored fundamentals is one thing, but Wilson checked out on paper and so did Darnold for the most part but for ****'s sake it's literally the Jets job, and only job, to know that the guy isn't the guy.

They are better off just giving up completely on filling the position and waiting for the Aladdin genie to appear or something. Odds would be higher for them.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I used to think so, but the problem is that every swing the Jets take they miss so epically on. Missing on Sanchez or Hackenberg because you ignored fundamentals is one thing, but Wilson checked out on paper and so did Darnold for the most part but for ****'s sake it's literally the Jets job, and only job, to know that the guy isn't the guy.

They are better off just giving up completely on filling the position and waiting for the Aladdin genie to appear or something. Odds would be higher for them.

Yeah.  I get it.  A lot of people are like @slats and would have preferred to just roll with Darnold and add Chase or something.  I was very much on board with trading down in 2021.  That haul would have been beautiful.  Honestly, I likely would have dealt both Darnold and the #2 overall and signed some sh*tty vet like Minshew and kept rolling the dice on later picks.  I think more teams are going that way and that is why in the 2021 draft Trask went late 2nd, Mond and Davis Mills at the top of 3 and after that it was just Ian Book in the 4th and Ehrlinger in the 6th. 

I think you draft a guy who fits your system and coach him up.  I guess our guys have not lasted long enough to succeed that way.  The thing I wonder though it that it seemed that Mike White was exactly that type of prospect, but even after his success they seemed to treat him like an afterthought.  He did not seem to get any honest chance to win the job in 2022.  Either that means they didn't like him that much or they are just pussies that didn't want to burn their #2 overall.  You can guess which one I believe, but still.  I get that maybe White didn't have the best arm, but Brock Purdy isn't exactly Jeff George and people are rating him #2 overall. 

On 5/14/2024 at 11:30 AM, slimjasi said:

Point taken, but not the best analogy, since you CAN replace/upgrade the CPU. 

lol

Yeah but, depending on the chipset, you might also have to replace the motherboard, as well.  That is, basically, moving on from the previous build, rather than “upgrading” 😅.

• Upvote 1

On 5/13/2024 at 5:43 PM, Matt39 said:

One league source plugged into the Bears first showers Fields with praise. He calls him a “phenomenal athlete” who throws a gorgeous ball. But he’s seen the quarterback, down-in and down-out, fail to decode the defense pre-snap and anticipate where to throw the ball post-snap. To him, it’s impossible for Fields — for any QB — to enhance that inner processor. “Maybe you can add some RAM or extra memory to your computer,” he says, “but whatever processor you have, that’s what you have.” He saw the same issue with Trubisky, who he labels “a phenomenal backup quarterback in the NFL.” And as a receiver who’s spent his career with Blake Bortles, Trubisky and Fields, the vet Robinson may be the most qualified subject when it comes to quarterback processing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this article just expose who their "source" is without intending to?

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  I get it.  A lot of people are like @slats and would have preferred to just roll with Darnold and add Chase or something.  I was very much on board with trading down in 2021.  That haul would have been beautiful.  Honestly, I likely would have dealt both Darnold and the #2 overall and signed some sh*tty vet like Minshew and kept rolling the dice on later picks.  I think more teams are going that way and that is why in the 2021 draft Trask went late 2nd, Mond and Davis Mills at the top of 3 and after that it was just Ian Book in the 4th and Ehrlinger in the 6th. 

I think you draft a guy who fits your system and coach him up.  I guess our guys have not lasted long enough to succeed that way.  The thing I wonder though it that it seemed that Mike White was exactly that type of prospect, but even after his success they seemed to treat him like an afterthought.  He did not seem to get any honest chance to win the job in 2022.  Either that means they didn't like him that much or they are just pussies that didn't want to burn their #2 overall.  You can guess which one I believe, but still.  I get that maybe White didn't have the best arm, but Brock Purdy isn't exactly Jeff George and people are rating him #2 overall. 

I just think we've watched this flick so many times and here we all are debating what exactly? When the bottom falls out of this stupid plan again this year it won't even be surprising anymore. Did you know they're making an 8th Kickboxer movie? No, of course you didn't. Nobody does because it's a dead franchise and we've seen the same movie 7 times already, and yet here they are running it back for an 8th. That's what the Jets are, Kickboxer 8.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Particularly with hindsight benefit, it's not debatable what was the wrong - or most-wrong - move. 

In no small part because I don't know one prospect from the other beyond the positions they play, at the time I could certainly sympathize with the pick, though, since the other issue is that - while it'll help mask inadequacies to a degree - even having multiple serious weapons on the roster doesn't make a crappy QB into a good one. This principle is also known as the Matt Leinart Theorem (reprised to a large degree by Jameis Winston).

I can get past them swinging & missing on him, even at the expense of simultaneously missing out on some great players. I can get past them not taking someone at the very bottom of the draft like Purdy because nobody saw that coming (including San Fran, otherwise they'd have grabbed him at least a round earlier).

It's harder to swallow whiffing on Zach (or Darnold before him, or Hackenberg before him) when they did so because they passed on opportunities to draft QBs who didn't bust

• 2016 Jared Goff -- turned down the trade offer to move up to #1, instead opting to hold onto franchise-tagged Wilkerson + pick #20 (Darron Lee) and the following year's 1st rounder (Jamal Adams) instead. Then took Hackenberg in round 2 only to see Dak Prescott go in round 4. 
  • 2017 -- Pat Mahomes or Deshaun Watson. Took Jamal Adams instead, even after Chicago was kind enough to remove Trubisky from consideration.
  • 2018 -- Josh Allen (Darnold instead). Or holding onto their early pick to use another way, and taking Lamar Jackson at the bottom of round 1, trading up from the 2nd round as Baltimore did.
  • 2019 -- ok there was no one to be had, but they weren't QB shopping that year anyway
  • 2020 -- Jordan Love and Jalen Hurts. I can get past love, who was boom-or-busty and all, but in round 2 they had pick #49 and Hurts went #53. Ended up trading down a bit to grab Denzel Mims. Ouch.

It's not like every good/great QB went #1 overall when the team with the top pick was dead-set on taking a QB, so there just weren't opportunities to grab them. This is 8 of the game's top 10-12 QBs were right there for the taking. 

This is depressing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I have pretty much decided you need to not only do that but completely red shirt your young QB at least a year. And when you do let him play do it with no handcuffs which defensive minded head coaches seem unable to do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I understand this, and also have a way too intimate understanding of how often these high QBs bust, and what sort of structure you want to have in place to do it right. Pats, like the Jets with Zach, will be breaking in a rookie head coach and QB together, on a roster that still needs some significant work. Imho, not exactly a recipe for success. It’s the QB who’ll be asked to do heavy lifting. 

In real time, I did not want the Jets to take any QB the year they took Zach. If they had gone my preferred route, I have little doubt that they would’ve been better off. Even if they fell for Pitts. 

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

It is more probable than not it is not going to end well.  I just want a QB that can give me hope again.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I just think we've watched this flick so many times and here we all are debating what exactly? When the bottom falls out of this stupid plan again this year it won't even be surprising anymore. Did you know they're making an 8th Kickboxer movie? No, of course you didn't. Nobody does because it's a dead franchise and we've seen the same movie 7 times already, and yet here they are running it back for an 8th. That's what the Jets are, Kickboxer 8.

Yes!  I have my tickets!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Could be directed at Fields and Wilson 

Some random JAG Wr on the packers had a story about Brett Favre once.  He was running the wrong routes in practice and the entire packers coaching staff was about to rip him a new a ;hole at a team meeting and possibly even cut him.

Out of nowhere in the meeting Favre gets up and tells the coaches “hey that’s on me, I told him to run those routes, I was trying something new.”

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The issue is Fields and Wilson were both very easy to predict to bust yet most people were going crazy about how great they were going to be before the draft and even years afterwards

43 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

The issue is Fields and Wilson were both very easy to predict to bust yet most people were going crazy about how great they were going to be before the draft and even years afterwards

It’s simple but just connecting with the guys and being around them goes a long way. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You ****!  I forgot that 2-4 were all starring Spike of Bensonhurst!  Now I'll have to watch the whole series all over again to get ready for the season opener!

• Haha 2

On 5/15/2024 at 12:32 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

That statement is completely false. Even the one stat that has some level of tracking with success was positive with Zach. Stop the revisionist nonsense about him being a reach.

On 5/16/2024 at 4:53 PM, JohnnyLV said:

That statement is completely false. Even the one stat that has some level of tracking with success was positive with Zach. Stop the revisionist nonsense about him being a reach.

Yeah those big games Zach had facing Ogden Community College in 2020😅

who’d a thunk that wouldn’t translate to the pros?

I don't know, because i only saw highlights of Fields, but he sure looked good in those highlights, better than anything Zach can do... With his mobility, thought he could become a poor man's Lamar... Btw, is Lamar Jackson a great processor? How's his computer?