Jets plan to give Tyron Smith “lots of rest days” in training camp.

6 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

How much time the Jets letting a Rodgers miss practice  too.    Jordan Travis could really need the practice, and development.   It’s a win win situation.     lol 😂       What jets running a football team or county club. 

Today is not the day for Raiders fans to be poking fun at other organizations.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

How much time the Jets letting a Rodgers miss practice  too.    Jordan Travis could really need the practice, and development.   It’s a win win situation.     lol 😂       What jets running a football team or county club. 

This guy knows ball. This is my contemporary. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/26/2024 at 9:13 AM, Nolder said:

Everyone please sign up for my new mafia game.

Theme: Dinner at Crushers

Hammer game, kitchen sink, 16 spots open but willing to add more.

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I will not be intimidated by you Mafia Forum thugs. 

Tom.  Either your brain or your signature goes on @Nolder’s sign-up sheet.

• Haha 3

On 6/24/2024 at 7:28 PM, T0mShane said:

Not to be a doomer, but this doesn’t work. You can have the five besr individual pass blockers in the world on the field on game days, but if they don’t have continuity and cohesion, they’re going to give up free runners all day long. It’s great that Douglas brought in three new starters on the OL, but if they can’t practice together and build some chemistry, they’re doomed. This explains why Smith was on the street for weeks with no offers and had to eat the Jets all-incentives deal. 

“Smith’s practice plan during Jets camp will be heavy on rest days, according to Zack Rosenblatt of TheAthletic.com.

The Jets’ entire starting offensive line for 2024 has never practiced together in the offseason, and it remains to be seen how much work they’ll get together in camp. Right tackle Morgan Moses had pectoral surgery and right guard Alijah Vera-Tucker is recovering from an Achilles injury, so the Jets need their offensive line to get healthy before the season.”

Not for nothing, but this is why I was screaming from the rooftops for the Jets to draft a left tackle in the 1st round of this years draft.

I understand that if the Jets were able to get one of the top 3 wide receivers would have really benefited the offense, but you need a powerful O line to help win you ball games.  And this is why I started a thread guaranteeing that the Jets would not be using their #10 pick to get the tight end that so many Jets fans and so called experts were expecting them to pick at #10.

Fashanu will be seeing action this year at left tackle, and as we all know now, will be seeing a lot of him in practice, when Smith is on the sideline resting up.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Today is not the day for Raiders fans to be poking fun at other organizations.

Win eight games ,  😂 and make the playoffs.     At some point you have to stop talking like you’re the  Chiefs( won something)  , and prove it  on the field.  When they do that everyone including me will shut up.    I guess I won’t be shutting up anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Not for nothing, but this is why I was screaming from the rooftops for the Jets to draft a left tackle in the 1st round of this years draft.

I understand that if the Jets were able to get one of the top 3 wide receivers would have really benefited the offense, but you need a powerful O line to help win you ball games.  And this is why I started a thread guaranteeing that the Jets would not be using their #10 pick to get the tight end that so many Jets fans and so called experts were expecting them to pick at #10.

Fashanu will be seeing action this year at left tackle, and as we all know now, will be seeing a lot of him in practice, when Smith is on the sideline resting up.

One problem is not unusual for an Ot especially a Lt to struggle some his rookie year.   Doesn’t mean in time he’s not going to develop into a top Lt.    just will he be ready this year  to play at a high level the Jets need him to .   That’s the question.  He’s going to facing defense ends that are more talented than Eric Watts . 

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Win eight games ,  😂 and make the playoffs.     At some point you have to stop talking like you’re the  Chiefs( won something)  , and prove it  on the field.  When they do that everyone including me will shut up.    I guess I won’t be shutting up anytime soon.

^^^ Talks mad sh*t and predicts a SB every summer even though his franchise hasn't won a playoff game in 22 years.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

One problem is not unusual for an Ot especially a Lt to struggle some his rookie year.   Doesn’t mean in time he’s not going to develop into a top Lt.    just will he be ready this year  to play at a high level the Jets need him to .   That’s the question.  He’s going to facing defense ends that are more talented than Eric Watts . 

I agree.  It's a good thing that we have an all-pro ahead of him, and Olu can learn from him as well.

9 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

At some point you have to stop talking like you’re the Chiefs( won something), and prove it  on the field.  

You have to be smart enough to see the irony of a Raiders fan, who comes to a Jets forum every single year to tell us that everything Raiders is just the best, making this post, right?  You guys haven’t won a playoff game since the Bush administration but have the AUDACITY to talk down on other teams?

Really, lol?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 6/24/2024 at 9:53 PM, FootballLove said:

I'm actually more concerned with AVT returning to form off a torn Achilles. Pulling Guards is a mainstay of our offense. 

As far as Tyron getting days off:

1) He's 32, and rated #1 in the league in pass blocking last year (PFF). Most LTs play on an island, so he won't need as much coordination with his other lineman, the way LG/Center/RG need.

2) Picking up stunts and blitzes: Historically, Aaron wants to play with just his 5 lineman, with all 5 other players (RB, TE, WRs) going out on routs. Aaron prefers to handle the blitzes/stunts on his own with check downs and quick passes. He much prefers his weapons out in patterns than staying in to block (historically). So Aaron doesn't plan on his front 5 keeping him clean for 3-4 seconds per play. He ALWAYS has a quick slant, screen, hot WR, 'something' just in case they blitz. His RB in the flat is worth more to him than his RB staying in to block. He likes making teams pay when they try and blitz him (the 4h play from last season notwithstanding). Tyron/Simpson don't have to be perfect picking up stunts/blitzers. Aaron will take care of it.

3) Every day off for Tyron is a day 'on' for Olu, which is a good thing. Rather than Tyron taking all 1st team reps, Olu will get more than his share.

Excellent post!  Of course it's not ideal not having all 5 practice together a lot, but I'm not going to panic.  Smith and Moses are great pros.  In terms of pass protection, they both operate more on an island.  I think where it could hurt will be the rushing attack.

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2024 at 6:16 AM, T0mShane said:

—Smith is still a good player

—There was zero market for Smith this offseason.

—The plan to try and staple a brand new OL together under Keith Carter while giving them the summer off going into a year where you’re trying to sprint to the Super Bowl is bad-bad. 

—Jets open with three games in ten games, two of them on the road.

Smith is still a great player.  It was fortunate for the Jets that there was zero market for his services for this season. I'm not worried about him at all.  He's a great communicator and focuses on the details and subtle nuances of his play.  I don't think that either Moses or Smith will need a lot of practice to shake the rust off.  While it's far from ideal to have an injury-prone player at LT who will take a lot of practices off, a new LG, a RG who missed most of last season and is still rehabbing, and a RT who is still rehabbing from surgery, it's the best the Jets could do under the circumstances.  They may struggle a little bit early, especially with 3 games in 10 days, but I think they will be very good while all are healthy and once they get some time together.

I think Fashanu getting a lot of reps in OTAs and TC is a positive.  It will speed his development, and should enable him to play at a higher level when Smith does go down with an injury.

My biggest concern is with RG.  The three IOL need to work more as a unit and have an excellent understanding of what each does, how they react, coordinating picking up stunts, etc.  Hopefully, AVT will not miss much, and hopefully, none of TC so that the three IOL get a lot of reps together.  I think with Smith and Moses being such great/good players and having so much experience they can still develop that rapport and communication about stunts, and how they will handle different situations and build chemistry.  Hopefully, it won't take long for the 5 to work out their timing and cohesion together.

• Post of the Week 2

On 6/25/2024 at 10:29 AM, FootballLove said:

Yessir. As others have pointed out in this thread, Tyron sitting means Olu playing (with the ones). This is huge. Many on here don't think Tyron will make it thru the season (fair), making our 1st round pick all the more valuable. But only is he gets the reps, not only TC, but throughout the season.

Taking it further, if the Jets have a big lead and go to the run game to burn the clock and close out the game, we could see Olu subbing in. Tyron is NOT a great run blocker, so turning that late-game roll over to Olu Fashanu could make sense. No need for Tyron to get injured during garbage time!

I think the idea of pulling Smith in garbage time if the Jets have a big lead is an excellent one, but there's one problem with that. Smith is a better run blocker than Fashanu.  Run blocking is the weakest part of Fashanu's game.  Of course, that will give Fashanu an opportunity to work on and improve his run blocking.

6 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I think the idea of pulling Smith in garbage time if the Jets have a big lead is an excellent one, but there's one problem with that. Smith is a better run blocker than Fashanu.  Run blocking is the weakest part of Fashanu's game.  Of course, that will give Fashanu an opportunity to work on and improve his run blocking.

working on our weakest areas is most important

41 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

working on our weakest areas is most important

I agree, and thankfully, he will be getting a lot of practice reps and thus have the opportunity to improve a lot in that area.  Part of his problem with run blocking, however, imo is his lack of strength, and that won't improve significantly until he's had a full offseason in the strength and conditioning program.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Excellent post!  Of course it's not ideal not having all 5 practice together a lot, but I'm not going to panic.  Smith and Moses are great pros.  In terms of pass protection, they both operate more on an island.  I think where it could hurt will be the rushing attack.

Thank you! Our oline has been such a mess for soo long now. I remember GASE having like 20 different oline combos. 

It will be nice to have at least ONE season where our oline is a strength instead of a weakness

• Upvote 1

• The Cowboys rested Smith a lot and he still played well when he played.  That play will produce the best LT play the Jets have had in 10 years. 
  • Moses will hopefully recover fully, and he is another smart guy who does not need a lot of practice time.  Play Mitchell and Warren more.  
  • The Jets did learn a lesson of sorts.   They are switching from zone to man/gap blocking, or at least using more of the latter.   All of the inconsistency on the OL really affected the zone scheme.  Hopefully the new simpler scheme will allow for easier changes in the OL.  
  • RG is the biggest open item for the Jets in 2024, I think.  
  • Upvote 1