Aaron Rodgers is sitting at the kids’ table because he’s got one championship. You don’t get to sit with Joe Montana and Tom Brady and multiple Super Bowl winners at the ‘Big Boy Table.’

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I'm thinking of just leaning into it. "Was the Rodgers deal a misbegotten catastrophe that will cripple the franchise for half a decade? It's happening Jet fans!"

Yeah, the Jets were really going places without him. If nothing else, that’s what team history has shown, right?

Even if his acquisition ends up nothing but the very setback you say, the next post-Zach 1st round bust QB that Douglas would've instead drafted would’ve set the team back by at least as many years anyway.

Nothing lost, really. 🤓

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think winning a ring adds value even if you weren’t at your best, especially when (in the case of Manning) there were seasons where you were the MVP and “should” have won it but came up short. Like, for all the greatness of his ‘05, ‘09 and ‘13 seasons failing in big spots he was due a “lucky” run in 2015

This is just a strange take to me. It seems like you are saying that getting “lucky” should factor into rankings? One guy getting lucky enough to be on a loaded team and be carried to a ring should give him a leg up on a guy who didn’t get so lucky? I don’t get this one. 

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The dirty little secret is that between Manning, Mahomes, Brady and Rodgers none of them ever actually won a ring without a good defense and all had some of their best offensive seasons end in failure.

Bingo - but this just helps make my point that ring counting is a really bad way to compare individual players.

It makes more sense in basketball where you have only 5 guys on the court for each team and all players play both offense and defense. But in football where you have 11 guys on the field for each team and 3 distinct units (offense/defense/ST)? Not so much

So... What, exactly, is wrong about anything he said? 

I take it you're one of those people that is going to keep riding the claim that Rodgers was the missing piece, worth everything we traded/paid and, subsequently, wasn't the epic F up that plenty ppl warned it would be. 

• Upvote 1

Yes but playing for the Packers who refused to ever build the proper team around or give him a real HC screwed him. Talent wise Marino, Manning and Rogers and I guess I’d start putting Mahomes there too, as the greatest I’ve ever seen actually play the position. Brady and Montana were great but also products of amazing franchises, with the coaches and team around them. They had everything they needed surrounding them. I’d also put Elway before Brady and Montana if we’re just talking greatest at the position. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Yes but playing for the Packers who refused to ever build the proper team around or give him a real HC screwed him. Talent wise Marino, Manning and Rogers and I guess I’d start putting Mahomes there too, as the greatest I’ve ever seen actually play the position. Brady and Montana were great but also products of amazing franchises, with the coaches and team around them. They had everything they needed surrounding them. I’d also put Elway before Brady and Montana if we’re just talking greatest at the position. 

Perfect post. Peyton, Rodgers, Mahomes and Elway are my Mt Rushmore QBs, in that order; although Mahomes is closing the gap with Rodgers. Marino, Brady and Montana are my next ones up, in that order. 

On 7/11/2024 at 10:12 AM, ARodJetsFan said:

Mark Schelereth is running his gaping pie-hole again;

“Aaron Rogers (was) a four-time MVP – one Super Bowl. One.

The dynasty that never was. We called the Green Bay Packers the dynasty that never was.

If you invite the greatest quarterbacks of all time to dinner and it’s like Thanksgiving, and there’s one main table and then the kids’ table on the side – Aaron Rodgers is sitting at the kids’ table because he’s got one championship.

You don’t get to sit with Joe Montana and Tom Brady and multiple Super Bowl winners at the ‘Big Boy Table.’

I’m sorry. Until you find, and I don’t know what the criteria would be, but until you find a better criteria for judging guys.”

New York Jets QB Aaron Rodgers Receives Yet Another Brutal Attack (si.com)

Aaron still got time.....Brady might wanna save him a chair

12 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

what is going on here? did you slip into a dark mode portal halfway through posting?

Hmm yeah that is weird, I think I copy and pasted “mark Schlereth” name from a previous comment and when I copied it the formatting got a little skewed thats my best guess

13 hours ago, slimjasi said:

This is just a strange take to me. It seems like you are saying that getting “lucky” should factor into rankings? One guy getting lucky enough to be on a loaded team and be carried to a ring should give him a leg up on a guy who didn’t get so lucky? I don’t get this one. 

I mean being the QB of an NFL team has a completely separate level of influence on a team outcome than any other player and is more analogous to an NBA superstar (as you mention below) than anything else in team sports.

Rings matter. Certainly not the be all end all it’s often made out to be in modern sports talking head fandom but it’s important. So yeah, I thinks its valuable to the resume to win a ring even if it’s an older, lesser version of yourself especially if in the case of Manning it’s leveling out an all time great in his prime.

13 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Bingo - but this just helps make my point that ring counting is a really bad way to compare individual players.

It makes more sense in basketball where you have only 5 guys on the court for each team and all players play both offense and defense. But in football where you have 11 guys on the field for each team and 3 distinct units (offense/defense/ST)? Not so much

I mean I’m not some huge ring counting advocate. I just said that Rodgers being a 4 time MVP and an all time great and having only one Super Bowl appearance (particularly when unlike Brady and Manning and Roethlisberger who had to duke it out with each other in the AFC he was in the much softer NFC where his biggest contemporary elite counterparty Brees also underperformed in the post season) is a mark against him.

You can obviously talk about the teams around them (and their head coaches) but Brady and Mahomes just have that “it factor” where they always seem to come through. Over such a long career it’s odd someone as talented as Rodgers just didn’t win more, and it’s part of the story of his career. 

10 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Perfect post. Peyton, Rodgers, Mahomes and Elway are my Mt Rushmore QBs, in that order; although Mahomes is closing the gap with Rodgers. Marino, Brady and Montana are my next ones up, in that order. 

So Tom Brady isnt on your Mt Rushmore of QBs?  What exactly puts Manning or Rogers over him?

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, the Jets were really going places without him. If nothing else, that’s what team history has shown, right?

Even if his acquisition ends up nothing but the very setback you say, the next post-Zach 1st round bust QB that Douglas would've instead drafted would’ve set the team back by at least as many years anyway.

Nothing lost, really. 🤓

Therein lies the rub. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Disagree. No one with a clue would crap on Marino's career had be been traded to the Jets. This isn't about Rodgers winning just one super bowl. We all know this. The hate is almost always about non football related issues.

Sort of.  This ignores the fact that Rodgers "non-football" related issues may be why he hasn't won more big games.  One of the best young HC in the league along with one of the league's best GM's couldn't wait to get him off his football team and his football team proceeded to get to the NFC championship game with an untested nobody at QB might say something about Rodgers "non-football" related issues. 

It also is kind of strange that a QB who is driven to win a SB would pick the Jets over the Packers.  I can see picking the Jets over the Packers if you wanted to go to NY, have a country club staff that allowed you to do what every you wanted and a personal caddy as your OC.  Hard to see wanting to go to the NY Jets to actually go out a SB winner.   Seems counter intuitive or just BS.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Sort of.  This ignores the fact that Rodgers "non-football" related issues may be why he hasn't won more big games.  One of the best young HC in the league along with one of the league's best GM's couldn't wait to get him off his football team and his football team proceeded to get to the NFC championship game with an untested nobody at QB might say something about Rodgers "non-football" related issues. 

It also is kind of strange that a QB who is driven to win a SB would pick the Jets over the Packers.  I can see picking the Jets over the Packers if you wanted to go to NY, have a country club staff that allowed you to do what every you wanted and a personal caddy as your OC.  Hard to see wanting to go to the NY Jets to actually go out a SB winner.   Seems counter intuitive or just BS.  

Oof. Ok. No arguing with that 😅

On 7/12/2024 at 9:09 AM, Legend Killa7 said:

so Eli can sit with those guys at the "big boy table" but Marino cannot?  Ok, got it.

Eli did something that Marino didn't do.  On the biggest stage, under the most scrutiny he was actually clutch twice.

14 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You Got It Animation GIF by SWR Kindernetz

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

So Tom Brady isnt on your Mt Rushmore of QBs?  What exactly puts Manning or Rogers over him?

This is loaded and I have an entire thesis that I’ve posted in pieces over the years. I’ll just say that there is empirical evidence that suggests that the biggest combination of drivers for SB championship in the salary cap era is a top 10 scoring defense paired with a top 10 scoring QB (TDs and 2pts). Other combinations don’t have any persistency.

Looking at it that way, Brady has done his part and been an all time great throughout his career, but the reason everyone has him as the goat is because of the rings, and when you look at what he was working with vs what other goat QBs were working with, it’s not even remotely close. He had top 10 scoring defenses in 18 of his 20 seasons; 7 of which were top 5. Even the two seasons he didn’t have top 10, they were still top half of the league. So isolating for the seasons that each QB had top 10 defenses, the other QBs won a higher percentage of superbowls and I think they have better physical skills/athleticism. There’s also the fact that two of the QBs I have there have won championships without having a top 10 D, something Brady hasn’t done. 

I also can’t discount the cheating scandals the way everyone else has. Not saying it took a scrub and made him a GOAT, but much like Barry Bonds cheating, even a marginal benefit to an already tremendous talent can mean big results. 

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Not having Brady as top 4 is trolling 

Second biggest troll on the board calling someone else’s post trolling is gold. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This is loaded and I have an entire thesis that I’ve posted in pieces over the years. I’ll just say that there is empirical evidence that suggests that the biggest combination of drivers for SB championship in the salary cap era is a top 10 scoring defense paired with a top 10 scoring QB (TDs and 2pts). Other combinations don’t have any persistency.

Looking at it that way, Brady has done his part and been an all time great throughout his career, but the reason everyone has him as the goat is because of the rings, and when you look at what he was working with vs what other goat QBs were working with, it’s not even remotely close. He had top 10 scoring defenses in 18 of his 20 seasons; 7 of which were top 5. Even the two seasons he didn’t have top 10, they were still top half of the league. So isolating for the seasons that each QB had top 10 defenses, the other QBs won a higher percentage of superbowls and I think they have better physical skills/athleticism. There’s also the fact that two of the QBs I have there have won championships without having a top 10 D, something Brady hasn’t done. 

I also can’t discount the cheating scandals the way everyone else has. Not saying it took a scrub and made him a GOAT, but much like Barry Bonds cheating, even a marginal benefit to an already tremendous talent can mean big results. 

Second biggest troll on the board calling someone else’s post trolling is gold. 

Damn. Who’s number 1?

(Elways career completion percentage is 57%)

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2024 at 10:12 AM, ARodJetsFan said:

Mark Schelereth is running his gaping pie-hole again;

“Aaron Rogers (was) a four-time MVP – one Super Bowl. One.

The dynasty that never was. We called the Green Bay Packers the dynasty that never was.

If you invite the greatest quarterbacks of all time to dinner and it’s like Thanksgiving, and there’s one main table and then the kids’ table on the side – Aaron Rodgers is sitting at the kids’ table because he’s got one championship.

You don’t get to sit with Joe Montana and Tom Brady and multiple Super Bowl winners at the ‘Big Boy Table.’

I’m sorry. Until you find, and I don’t know what the criteria would be, but until you find a better criteria for judging guys.”

New York Jets QB Aaron Rodgers Receives Yet Another Brutal Attack (si.com)

No 40 year old Qb sitting on the kids table. .  He’s sitting with the grandparents.      All he has left is talking about the glory years, when he was a stud.    Now he’s a shadow of former self who can’t even get it up anymore. 

You think A Rodgers going in the hall of fame as a jet or Packer.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

No 40 year old Qb sitting on the kids table. .  He’s sitting with the grandparents.      All he has left is talking about the glory years, when he was a stud.    Now he’s a shadow of former self who can’t even get it up anymore. 

He's so old he can actually remember the last Raiders playoff victory.

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

He's so old he can actually remember the last Raiders playoff victory.

Three Lombard too.   You never saw your team win one or even play in a Super Bowl.  
again a Rodgers wish the  Raiders had interest in him.   They didn’t.  The Jets were the only team that was willing to.    Who wants to put all your eggs in an old Qb on his last leg.   When you haven’t won a Super Bowl in a long long time you do desperate things.     You set your franchise back bigtime if it’s doesn’t work out.   

29 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Packet. 4 plays and a stadium of shattered dreams not cutting it. 

25 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Three Lombard too.   You never saw your team win one or even play in a Super Bowl.  
again a Rodgers wish the  Raiders had interest in him.   They didn’t.  The Jets were the only team that was willing to.    Who wants to put all your eggs in an old Qb on his last leg.   When you haven’t won a Super Bowl in a long long time you do desperate things.     You set your franchise back bigtime if it’s doesn’t work out.   

How old was Brady last year when he was suppose to be your QB? 

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

How old was Brady last year when he was suppose to be your QB? 

Ancient just because my team was going to do that( Josh McDaniel) means I agree with it.     Like would I have gave Kirk Cousins all that money.    He really taking you where you want your Qb to take you.    Just like I was total against trading up in this draft to get a Qb.( especially how much it would cost considering how far away from number 1.           I rather kept building the roster like they did.      

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Clearly Jimmy G was the correct choice.

On 7/13/2024 at 3:21 PM, Raideraholic said:

The "Rogers is old" argument is truly fascinating.

As of today, its probable that Zach Wilson is faster then rogers, is quicker then rogers, has a stronger arm, and has less wear and tear on his body and literally none of that matters.  80% of being a good NFL QB is a combination of mental processing and short/mid area accuracy.  Yea, if you can rip a 30 yard out accurately thats helpful, but the truth is that's only needed 2 or 3 times a game if youre losing.  

We havent seen a competent offense since Ryan Fitzpatrick was here and this defense has been absolutely elite even though we lose the turnover battle, lose field position and cant score.  90% of what we need from Rogers is:

• Get us into the right play (the last Jets QB who could do that regularly was Chad Pennington)
  • Dont turn the ball over
  • Dont take unnecessary hits
  • Throw the ball away and punt when required
  • Hit our playmakers in the short areas and let them run after the catch

Literally none of those things are made more difficult by a players age. 

If we want to win a Super Bowl, then yea, we need 4 or 5 games where Rogers plays at an elite level and makes some of the throws that he has been capable of.  But we also have the makings of a truly elite defense and if Rogers can be a great game manager - that will get us 11 wins and probably a home playoff game.  

• Post of the Week 1