Aiyuk Requests Trade

40 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Yeah, but....

He does have some leverage.

Franchise is not a great option.   You might as well pay him Top 5 WR money now.  The tag will be probably close to 10 million or more next year.  Tee Higgins is running the Bengals $21M this season on the tag.  It is only going up.  Plus, the tag is more cost prohibitive on the second tag.

The 49ers are moving on from Aiyuk.  Deebo has been paid.  The 49ers drafted a WR this year.  For as much space they have available this year, they lose it next year.  Their Top 51 next year is already at $282M.  Of course you can manipulate the cap, but they also have a need to pay Purdy.  Mac and Zach are earning more than twice than what Purdy is being paid.  My guess, like you see with 1st rounders, he will get paid next offseason if not sooner.

The 49ers have to decide when they want to be compensated for him.  They can let him walk and get a comp pick in 2026.  Or trade him this year and get a pick or picks next year.  Tyrek Hill got the Phins a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th.  You mean if the Patriots for example, offered a 2nd in 2024 and 2025, plus a couple of later round picks the 49ers would not give it a thought.

I doubt he gets traded before the season.  At the trade deadline, if Piersall is replicating close to what Aiyuk can do, I would not be surprised.

It would actually be kind of an interesting move for the Pats to trade for him.  Give their young QB his signature WR.

8 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

This is not a move the Jets are going to make but I am happy that the 49ers may be without their WR1 when we go to SF week 1

We dont have room for him. We are set with GW, M Williams, Corely and soon to be Davante Adams 😊

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think we'd have to move lazard to do it though. SF might say that for real.

The traded player would far more likely be Mike Williams than Lazard. The only way Lazard has any trade value is with Rodgers and/or if the Jets agree to eat nearly $10MM of his $11MM guarantee after such a disastrous '23 season when he got outright benched by a team that had no one to replace him in the lineup.

Mike Williams has a lower base salary, lower guarantees, and with the Jets already having paid the $3.3MM signing bonus his maximum payout for the year (to a new team) - in the very unlikely event he hits every incentive dollar, meaning a full 17 games + 1100 yards + 10 TDs - would be barely a million more than Lazard's full guarantee. Plus then if SF doesn't keep MW after such a stellar season they would be in line for a comp pick in return for losing him (as opposed to Lazard who'd be cut after 1 season with no comp pick). 

Oh yeah, and also Williams is kinda better than Lazard. Just kinda. 

Hard to imagine this happening anyway. Not just because SF is unlikely to move their top WR from the prior season - in July/August before another legitimate Super Bowl run - before they have to pay Purdy; but also the Jets are their first opponent of the season.

At the same time, I also don't see them just accepting a draft pick alone (from anyone else) and essentially replace Aiyuk with nobody just as training camp starts. While McCaffrey & Kittle are still there, of course, they would be another Deebo injury away from having no starting WRs on the roster (and for all his RB/WR versatility Deebo's kinda overrated in his primary role anyway; he was invisible in the Super Bowl when they needed him most).

Never say never, but - especially at this late stage of the offseason - it's hard to see him getting traded at all this year. 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The traded player would far more likely be Mike Williams than Lazard. The only way Lazard has any trade value is with Rodgers and/or if the Jets agree to eat nearly $10MM of his $11MM guarantee after such a disastrous '23 season when he got outright benched by a team that had no one to replace him in the lineup.

Mike Williams has a lower base salary, lower guarantees, and with the Jets already having paid the $3.3MM signing bonus his maximum payout for the year (to a new team) - in the very unlikely event he hits every incentive dollar, meaning a full 17 games + 1100 yards + 10 TDs - would be barely a million more than Lazard's full guarantee. Plus then if SF doesn't keep MW after such a stellar season they would be in line for a comp pick in return for losing him (as opposed to Lazard who'd be cut after 1 season with no comp pick). 

Oh yeah, and also Williams is kinda better than Lazard. Just kinda. 

Hard to imagine this happening anyway. Not just because SF is unlikely to move their top WR from the prior season - in July/August before another legitimate Super Bowl run - before they have to pay Purdy; but also the Jets are their first opponent of the season.

At the same time, I also don't see them just accepting a draft pick alone (from anyone else) and essentially replace Aiyuk with nobody just as training camp starts. While McCaffrey & Kittle are still there, of course, they would be another Deebo injury away from having no starting WRs on the roster (and for all his RB/WR versatility Deebo's kinda overrated in his primary role anyway; he was invisible in the Super Bowl when they needed him most).

Never say never, but - especially at this late stage of the offseason - it's hard to see him getting traded at all this year. 

They did draft a wide receiver in the first round, I think they like Johnson as a third pass catcher, and they use 21 personnel more than a lot of teams as well. I don’t think they’d want to move him given what I imagine are Super Bowl aspirations but I do think they’ve tried to protect themselves a little.

Personally think they’d be foolish to move him and if they want to do anything at wide receiver they should get something for Deebo and pay Aiyuk. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It would actually be kind of an interesting move for the Pats to trade for him.  Give their young QB his signature WR.

I would be intrigued by it.  I would qualify that with I would not give up our 2025 first.  That is more probable than not a Top 10 pick.  

• Upvote 2

Aiyuk would be a terrific addition to this team.  He's an excellent route runner, a technician at the position, in his prime, and a true WR1 talent.  Aiyuk and Wilson would form one of the best WR tandems in the NFL.  This would be a slam dunk trade by Joe Douglas, assuming it comes with a long term deal as well.

At this stage of their respective careers, I take Aiyuk over Adams all day, every day.

4 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

At this stage of their respective careers, I take Aiyuk over Adams all day, every day.

I'd agree with you.

That being said, I really don't believe that the Jets will trade for either of them this year, with our CAP situation being what it is.

Plus we have guys like Sauce, Michael Carter II, Breece Hall & Garrett Wilson to think about.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Aiyuk would be a terrific addition to this team.  He's an excellent route runner, a technician at the position, in his prime, and a true WR1 talent.  Aiyuk and Wilson would form one of the best WR tandems in the NFL.  This would be a slam dunk trade by Joe Douglas, assuming it comes with a long term deal as well.

You trade for Aiyuk you are losing GW after the season.  He's gonna want an extension, and you aren't paying 2 WR 30 million a year.

• Upvote 3

If McLaurin is on the trade block, I'd rather have him than Aiyuk, personally.  McLaurin is criminally under-rated IMO, although he was clearly slowed last year by some injuries.

Lazard + Williams + Late Draft pick for McLaurin, I'd do that in a heartbeat.  Wilson/McLaurin would be an amazing WR combo in my book.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

This is not a move the Jets are going to make but I am happy that the 49ers may be without their WR1 when we go to SF week 1

Or, he'll hold out until the week before the opener, and pull a hamstring in the first quarter. It's all good ... 

3 hours ago, Bungaman said:

Or, he'll hold out until the week before the opener, and pull a hamstring in the first quarter. It's all good ... 

you dummy you just put the jinx on G Wilson.     Bad karma wishing injuries on anyone. Just watch . 

• Upvote 1

Can forget about Aiyuk.

Better chance of Zach Wilson winning league MVP this year than that happening.

GW, AVT, Breece, Sauce, JJ all need to get paid within a couple years.

OTOH, Davante feels like maybe 50 / 50 at the deadline (if the Raiders suck like we expect them to)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

He's seeking a record-setting type deal at or around 30M per.

Even if he's willing to negotiate a bit, you're talking 25M per minimum AAV and a big guarantee.

If this were MLB, yeah, who cares, just do it and pay the luxury tax.

But because of the NFL cap, if you pay Aiyuk, you will have to let at least one (or more) of your young talents go in a year or 2.  You can't have everybody.

11 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

you dummy you just put the jinx on G Wilson.     Bad karma wishing injuries on anyone. Just watch . 

To be fair if Zach's array of hospital bed passes didn't kill the kid I have to think he's likely tougher than he looks. But your not wrong, never should do that. 

13 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Either would be an upgrade over Diggs (currently who is on the downside of his career) and that would suck

I think Diggs has a bounce back year in Houston. His relationship with Allen probably got strained plus defenses keyed in on him as Allen’s first progression

7 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Can forget about Aiyuk.

Better chance of Zach Wilson winning league MVP this year than that happening.

GW, AVT, Breece, Sauce, JJ all need to get paid within a couple years.

OTOH, Davante feels like maybe 50 / 50 at the deadline (if the Raiders suck like we expect them to)

We’re not paying Breece long term and only a sucker gives AVT a long term extension unless he suddenly shows he can stay healthy and becomes the resurrection of Larry Allen

Regarding long term cap implications the smarter move is actually Davante Adams.  He has 3 years left on his contract 

• More Ugh 1

Not for this move and the reason is that it will make it very hard to keep all our talent if we traded for Aiyuk along with paying him.

On top of that.... he plays VERY similar to GW. I know having w great WRs that are alike isn't a bad thing. But I prefer to have a group of WRs that all offer something different. I like what we have actually right now. GW is that crispy route runnier that's fast and quick. MW is a huge WR that wins 50/50 balls and is a huge target on 3rd downs and in the RZ. Corley is the YAC guy. Where you just try and get the ball in his hands and in space with blockers.

I'd be more for adding Adams. Ya the money is pretty much the same. But his contract renegotiation would likely line up with Rodgers timeline. So not hurting us resigning guys in a couple years. Aiyuk is going to want at least 3 years I'm sure guaranteed.

7 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I think Diggs has a bounce back year in Houston. His relationship with Allen probably got strained plus defenses keyed in on him as Allen’s first progression

Turning 31 this season? Ehhh I’m not so sure.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Not for this move and the reason is that it will make it very hard to keep all our talent if we traded for Aiyuk along with paying him.

On top of that.... he plays VERY similar to GW. I know having w great WRs that are alike isn't a bad thing. But I prefer to have a group of WRs that all offer something different. I like what we have actually right now. GW is that crispy route runnier that's fast and quick. MW is a huge WR that wins 50/50 balls and is a huge target on 3rd downs and in the RZ. Corley is the YAC guy. Where you just try and get the ball in his hands and in space with blockers.

I'd be more for adding Adams. Ya the money is pretty much the same. But his contract renegotiation would likely line up with Rodgers timeline. So not hurting us resigning guys in a couple years. Aiyuk is going to want at least 3 years I'm sure guaranteed.

A lot of times we look for complimentary pieces.  I'm not sure that I agree that it is a good thing.  On O you just want to put pressure on the D.  I think when you have a bunch of similar guys it can be a blessing.  Most teams will have at least one viable slot corner type to deal with shifty guys and a corner that can deal with size, but when you have multiple similar guys?  That is when you get your 6'5" WR on a fidget corner, or a longer corner with sh*t shuttle times on your shifty little slot WR.  Matchups make the game. 

17 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

I wasn't wishing injury on anyone - just reiterating a past trend where guys at the skill positions, offense and defense, often are pushed or push themselves back into full speed before they are ready when they come back from these late summer holdouts.