Training Camp Updates - Friday Aug 2

Any word on whether the C the Giants drafted (Schmitz?) is also struggling with 2-foot putts?

Only the Jets.

What was Spencer Long's excuse?   Sam Darnold's star power made him too nervous?  😂

Long was made a gameday inactive the game after his Miami debacle.

• Haha 1

The Jets practiced in shells Friday on the hottest day yet of training camp as the offense matched the temperature with an impressive performance and found the end zone multiple times.

"I think as a whole unit, we just feel different," said TE Tyler Conklin, who had 2 touchdowns. "Obviously you got Garrett [Wilson], Breece [Hall] in their third year. … I think how they just keep improving, it makes life easier. Then obviously having No. 8 [Aaron Rodgers] out there, we all know that makes life easy, but I think it's a combination of all those things."

Conklin first scored on a jump ball near the pylon on a high, pinpoint pass from Rodgers with Jarrick Bernard-Converse in coverage. Rodgers later found the veteran tight end on a free play following the QB's patented hard count -- DT Jalyn Holmes was the culprit.

"The first one was kind of a win-route," Conklin said of the first touchdown. "When I saw the way they lined up and had man [coverage], I figured Aaron was going to give it a peek over there and it was good defense. He just threw a really good ball."

He added of the second score: "We were in a bunch and we switch released it. I almost stopped running because he was looking left the whole time and all of a sudden, I just saw him throw my way. I was like, 'Oh, shoot.' "

Even though Conklin and Rodgers connected, it was Rodgers and Wilson who put an exclamation point on Friday's practice. Wilson broke free on a busted coverage in the situational move-the-ball period for a 31-yard touchdown pass with just over 20 seconds left down by 30-23. The offense started on its own 45-yard line with 54 seconds on the clock.

"Offensively, it was a really cool concept and a lack of communication on the defensive side," head coach Robert Saleh said. "It's one thing that I can attest to -- we take pride, defensively in that we rarely give up touchdowns where someone is free like that, a busted-coverage touchdown. For that to happen, it's good that it happened here because we have a chance to go correct it.

nothing about snaps. I wonder if it’s getting overblown? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

I dunno about Mitchell sliding inside. He’s too light in the pants to hang at tackle. There were guys who went day three who had G/C flex too. Day two as well. Beebe looks like he is going to start at center for the Cowboys.

I guess to your point in the second paragraph, it should be an easy enough position to draft, develop, and back fill. They haven’t had a penciled in preseason starter who wasn’t a serious acquisition or a top two round pick. So I guess while some teams can do waivers and UDFA there, Douglas’ approach is so far from investing that little that I see my proposal to look at it day 3 for depth and long term starters as a reasonable middle ground and a step in the right direction.

But I’ve been beating this drum for a while and I just imagine he’s not going to do it as long as he’s charge. Which for all we know may not be more than six months or so.

I don't disagree.  I think that it is the same as corner.  They want to bring guys in and have a pipeline.   That is all well and good, but when you don't have starters you can't be developing guys. Not much reason to burn a 5th on a G when you traded up in the 1st, or took a guy at the top of the 2nd. 

I don't know what to make of Mitchell at G, but they did play him there at least one game (they kicked Turner outside, I have no idea why and it was an abomination).  Saying he is light in ass kind of points to the question over whether they are picking the right guys.  Becton was obviously a poor choice and that seems interview based.  Seems like they wanted dancing guys for ZBS and drafted a huge dude and then this season went all power gap and draft . . . the finesse tackle?  I don't get it.  

For any given draft I find it hard to complain about not taking IOL.  I mean, did they need another ******* RB?  I doubt it, but whatever.  The only IOL I really remembering wanting to target went the pick after Ashtyn Davis - Damien Lewis.  As a philosophy, I agree G should be found in the late round and scrap heap, but I think they need starters first and then they can worry about backfilling.  

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Did Joe Torre tell Knoblauch to throw ground balls into the loge boxes?

Kind of defeats the point of you blaming an OL coach for Tippmans issues

As does the fact that none of the other C’s took his coaching and then had issues.  Or that no one in Tenn had these issues.  For bonus points he had issues as a rookie. 

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

T-I-P-P-Ys ceiling is much higher than mangold.  He has Kevin Mawae potential.

Lol. Dude can't even perform a shotgun snap consistently. Let's calm down on the HoF prognostication. He won't even be a center much longer if he can't figure out snapping the football.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Lol. Dude can't even perform a shotgun snap consistently. Let's calm down on the HoF prognostication. He won't even be a center much longer if he can't figure out snapping the football.

Funny, I didnt hear about one bad snap during 7 on 7s or 11 on 11s.  You know, when it actually matters.

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Kind of defeats the point of you blaming an OL coach for Tippmans issues

As does the fact that none of the other C’s took his coaching and then had issues.  Or that no one in Tenn had these issues.  For bonus points he had issues as a rookie. 

This fundamentally misunderstands what coaches do and likewise shows ignorance to Carter‘s history as a failed coach. When he was first hired, Pauline had a personnel guy tell him at the Senior Bowl that hiring Carter was a “death wish.” Fast forward a few months and Duane Brown is trying to cut block Leonard Floyd, Rodgers is getting his Achilles snapped, and both Brown and Rodgers say afterward that neither of them wanted to use cut blocking. You know how you know Carter is terrible? The team took cut blocking entirely out of the playbook immediately. Never seen again last year. They couldn’t identify this as a problem all summer and had to wait until it ended the season? Add that to countless Titans players and several Jets expressing deep animus toward Carter—Taylor Lewan hates Carter so much that he rips him to this very day.

Fast forward to the Jets project in 2024—you’re integrating three brand new starters into a group where AVT barely played last season and the one constant on the line—Tippman—is having troubling performing the most basic task a center is asked to do in a game. It’s very much going to be on the OL coach to get all five of those guys playing together, and playing at an elite level because they’re blocking for a forty year old QB with a rickety chicken stick for a left leg. Carter is easily the most important coach on the team this season, and he’s far and away the one with the worst track record—even worse than Hackett, whom at least people seem to like. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This fundamentally misunderstands what coaches do and likewise shows ignorance to Carter‘s history as a failed coach. When he was first hired, Pauline had a personnel guy tell him at the Senior Bowl that hiring Carter was a “death wish.” Fast forward a few months and Duane Brown is trying to cut block Leonard Floyd, Rodgers is getting his Achilles snapped, and both Brown and Rodgers say afterward that neither of them wanted to use cut blocking. You know how you know Carter is terrible? The team took cut blocking entirely out of the playbook immediately. Never seen again last year. They couldn’t identify this as a problem all summer and had to wait until it ended the season? Add that to countless Titans players and several Jets expressing deep animus toward Carter—Taylor Lewan hates Carter so much that he rips him to this very day.

Fast forward to the Jets project in 2024—you’re integrating three brand new starters into a group where AVT barely played last season and the one constant on the line—Tippman—is having troubling performing the most basic task a center is asked to do in a game. It’s very much going to be on the OL coach to get all five of those guys playing together, and playing at an elite level because they’re blocking for a forty year old QB with a rickety chicken stick for a left leg. Carter is easily the most important coach on the team this season, and he’s far and away the one with the worst track record—even worse than Hackett, whom at least people seem to like. 

It's all part of the secret behind the scenes coup that the players are staging to get Rodgers out and Taylor in. Tippman will only snap the good ones to Tyrod. It's happening!!!

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

T-I-P-P-Ys ceiling is much higher than mangold.  He has Kevin Mawae potential.

Potential is just that, potential. He is a long ways from being even close to as good as Mangold. As with everything, time will tell if he can reach his potential. For right now he has to straighten out his snaps.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

From my understanding it was Hackett that was making the cut block calls even though he knew that Rodgers wasn’t a fan of them. Carter also asked for TE help against Dallas last year and Hackett nixed that. Carter certainly isn’t perfect but he did have the line playing pretty well the last quarter of the season with mostly 2nd and 3rd team players.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think most QBs aren't even thinking about making this throw. 

+1. Being able to tell what’s “NFL open” is why there are only five or six dudes on Earth at any given time that can be great QBs. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

For 3 years we were told that the coaching staff was terrible and responsible Zach’s failures.  Mishandling the offense for him and failing to develop him.

Now, one of our youngest OL with maybe the brightest future is struggling to do something so simple, and half this board is jumping at the chance to throw him under the bus and wipe the OL staffs’ hands clean of the issue.  Instead of holding the staff accountable to fix a basic problem.

Lmao.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't disagree.  I think that it is the same as corner.  They want to bring guys in and have a pipeline.   That is all well and good, but when you don't have starters you can't be developing guys. Not much reason to burn a 5th on a G when you traded up in the 1st, or took a guy at the top of the 2nd. 

I don't know what to make of Mitchell at G, but they did play him there at least one game (they kicked Turner outside, I have no idea why and it was an abomination).  Saying he is light in ass kind of points to the question over whether they are picking the right guys.  Becton was obviously a poor choice and that seems interview based.  Seems like they wanted dancing guys for ZBS and drafted a huge dude and then this season went all power gap and draft . . . the finesse tackle?  I don't get it.  

For any given draft I find it hard to complain about not taking IOL.  I mean, did they need another ******* RB?  I doubt it, but whatever.  The only IOL I really remembering wanting to target went the pick after Ashtyn Davis - Damien Lewis.  As a philosophy, I agree G should be found in the late round and scrap heap, but I think they need starters first and then they can worry about backfilling.  

In theory, they had starters though - right? Heading into the draft they had Smith-Simpson-Tippmann-AVT-Moses along with Warren, Schweitzer, and after round one Fashanu as depth.

I think Fashanu gave important tackle depth with upside. Schweitzer is a low ceiling high floor backup. I don't think the OL falls apart with him in there for somebody, but you're just basically getting replacement level play.

In theory a guy drafted has more upside than a veteran fringe starter type. With lots of questions on the iOL - how will Tippmann play at center, was Simpson just a flash in the pan, will AVT stay healthy - I was of the opinion it'd be nice to throw somebody behind them and see if they find something. It's not the end of the world but they've kind of been in this weird place on the OL for a while and it's why they need to overpay guys like Simpson or Tomlinson or trade up for AVT.

Just think it'd be an easy position group to maybe back fill a starter and also maybe have some upside on the bench with all the questions at starter. Lottery ticket but feels like it'd be helpful there. It's not the end of the world, but it's the area on the OL where I think the philosophy has been most ridiculous - and the philosophy has been pretty poor overall - so I like ragging on it.

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Any word on whether the C the Giants drafted (Schmitz?) is also struggling with 2-foot putts?

Only the Jets.

What was Spencer Long's excuse?   Sam Darnold's star power made him too nervous?  😂

Long was made a gameday inactive the game after his Miami debacle.

Read recently he’s been out past 4-5 days. 

Regarding Tipp. Read the other day from someone at the practices he thinks Tipp is rushing the snaps getting into his blocks.  

MadGood Knicks Show™ ⁦‪@MadGoodKS‬⁩

⁦‪@antwanstaley‬⁩ How did Tippmann look?

8/2/24, 12:18 PM

Antwan V. Staley ⁦‪@antwanstaley‬⁩

He has been better the last couple of days. The snaps haven’t been an issue

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

MadGood Knicks Show™ ⁦‪@MadGoodKS‬⁩

⁦‪@antwanstaley‬⁩ How did Tippmann look?

Antwan V. Staley ⁦‪@antwanstaley‬⁩

He has been better the last couple of days. The snaps haven’t been an issue

Ive said for a year he is a multi 1st team all pro.  Rodgers just said it this week.

Id be on the side of elite football minds like rodgers and myself here, guys.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lith said:

New #Jets QB Adrian Martinez with a tough couple of plays, taking the QB3 spot for a series … 

The perfect concept was called against the zone on the play (almost as if the coaches served it up on a platter), but Martinez goes in a strange direction (right read, wrong placement). Nearly picked.

A play later sees a fumbled rush call (ball never got into the RB’s hands).

Thanks for the FULL “X” post. I hate going on “X” as they always push you to create an account. You’re a good teammate!

• Upvote 1