Probably not facing Aiyuk week 1

4 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Ditto for Deebo

He's already way up there.  It was Kittle who has dropped to a mid rounder.  This will bump his value more then Deebo. I really don't see Deebo's usage changing all that much.

1 minute ago, Fantasy Island said:

AI bots changing replies. Hats off to @slats.

I appreciate you thinking I have these sorts of skills but, alas, I don’t. Baseless accusations are fun, though. 

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The steelers offer is laughable.

Agreed.  Trying to play the 49ers for a sucker deal because Aiyuk wants out.  Change that 2nd rounder to a 1sg and the deal is done.  They are not giving up either Freiermuth or Pickins as well.  If they want Aiyuk, they should just give them that 1st.

10 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The steelers offer is laughable.

Season 4 Andy GIF by The Office

The Steelers need to give up a 1000 yard receive, a productive TE and a first for Aiyuk?  He is not Chase, Jefferson or Tyreek.  Or any other of a handful of guys.

Do not get me wrong.  He would be WR1 for the Patriots.  He would not be worth a first-round pick, especially next year, Kendrick Burne and Hunter Henry. 

He does not push the needle that much.

23 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

The Steelers need to give up a 1000 yard receive, a productive TE and a first for Aiyuk?  He is not Chase, Jefferson or Tyreek.  Or any other of a handful of guys.

Do not get me wrong.  He would be WR1 for the Patriots.  He would not be worth a first-round pick, especially next year, Kendrick Burne and Hunter Henry. 

No doubt he's benefited from having Kittle & Deebo & McCaffrey taking safety-help attention away from him. Part of the advantage a rookie-contract QB - which NE has for the upcoming 4 seasons - is supposed to provide is the ability to overspend elsewhere, and a young probowl veteran WR isn't a bad way to help develop that rookie QB instead of the QB having excuses for not-performing as hoped. 

Aiyuk's first time as the unquestioned center of defense attention is a legitimate concern when paying through the nose (a 1st round pick and a $30MM/year contract) for a WR who may end up being Atlanta's Peerless Price when there's no more Eric Moulds (& more) taking coverage heat off him. Conversely he might also be more like Antonio Brown once there's no more Mike Wallace on the other side, Cooks without Michael Thomas, or frankly Tyreek without Mahomes/Kelce.

I'm not saying Aiyuk is likely to be more on the Peerless Price side, but that's the risk. If they don't have nobody else worth a damn aside from Aiyuk, though, you know at worst he's excellent as part of a dangerous group. I'd probably risk it if I was NE with a rookie QB and a crazy amount of cap space now & the upcoming seasons.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No doubt he's benefited from having Kittle & Deebo & McCaffrey taking safety-help attention away from him. Part of the advantage a rookie-contract QB - which NE has for the upcoming 4 seasons - is supposed to provide is the ability to overspend elsewhere, and a young probowl veteran WR isn't a bad way to help develop that rookie QB instead of the QB having excuses for not-performing as hoped. 

Aiyuk's first time as the unquestioned center of defense attention is a legitimate concern when paying through the nose (a 1st round pick and a $30MM/year contract) for a WR who may end up being Atlanta's Peerless Price when there's no more Eric Moulds (& more) taking coverage heat off him. Conversely he might also be more like Antonio Brown once there's no more Mike Wallace on the other side, Cooks without Michael Thomas, or frankly Tyreek without Mahomes/Kelce.

I'm not saying Aiyuk is likely to be more on the Peerless Price side, but that's the risk. If they don't have nobody else worth a damn aside from Aiyuk, though, you know at worst he's excellent as part of a dangerous group. I'd probably risk it if I was NE with a rookie QB and a crazy amount of cap space now & the upcoming seasons.

The only issue I have with the deal is next year's first round pick.

I have no problem paying him $30M a year for the reasons given.  I have no problem packaging a couple of players (Bourne and Hunter) and some combination of a 2026 1st or multiple 2nds (2025 & 2026) for him.

Next year's 1st is most likely a Top 10 and more probable than not a Top 5.    I do not think he is worth that.  That might be a little too strong.  I think the Patriots' need at tackle out-weighs their need for a second tier WR.

We drafted a couple six foot something 200-pound receivers like Aiyuk.   I would rather roll with them.  Now, Chase becomes available....lets talk.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I have no problem paying him $30M a year for the reasons given.  I have no problem packaging a couple of players (Bourne and Hunter) and some combination of a 2026 1st or multiple 2nds (2025 & 2026) for him.

Next year's 1st is most likely a Top 10 and more probable than not a Top 5.    I do not think he is worth that.  That might be a little too strong.  I think the Patriots' need at tackle out-weighs their need for a second tier WR.

We drafted a couple six foot something 200-pound receivers like Aiyuk.   I would rather roll with them.  Now, Chase becomes available....lets talk.

The Pats would be insane to give up their 2025 1st round pick for Aiyuk. They currently have the NFL's lowest win total in Vegas for the 2024-2025 season (4.5). I actually don't think they will be the worst team, but they certainly could be, and will almost definitely have a top 10 (and probably top 5) pick. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Pats would be insane to give up their 2025 1st round pick for Aiyuk. They currently have the NFL's lowest win total in Vegas for the 2024-2025 season (4.5). I actually don't think they will be the worst team, but they certainly could be, and will almost definitely have a top 10 (and probably top 5) pick. 

I haven't read the entire thread, is the demand from SF actually a 1st round pick? Seems very rich for a guy on the last year of his contract demanding a  new contract (which won't be cheap) and trade. I don't see anyone giving that up.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I haven't read the entire thread, is the demand from SF actually a 1st round pick? Seems very rich for a guy on the last year of his contract demanding a  new contract (which won't be cheap) and trade. I don't see anyone giving that up.

I saw that they either want Pickens or a 1st from Pitt. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Here is what I've heard the Steelers are willing to put into a trade for Brandon Aiyuk:

-Dan Moore Jr
-James Daniels
-Calvin Austin
-2nd round pick

I've heard the 49ers want one of these back in trade for Aiyuk:

-1st round pick
-Pat Freiermuth
-George Pickens

— Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) August 6, 2024

I don't see anynody giving up a 1st round pick for a disgruntled WR.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

It says one of those not all 3. Reading is key. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

Another way of looking at it is they didn't need to trade up - which would've robbed them of next year's 1st at a minimum - into the top 3 to get the QB they wanted. Depending on one's POV, that's kinda found money. However I'm sympathetic to wanting to protect the pick NBA-style in case it's another top 3-5 slot as you feel is likely.

I don't know how creative they're allowed to get with that -- e.g. say it's pick #15 next year, then ok SF gets your #1 pick. If it's #5, though, you get back SF's 1st rounder, provided it's no better than #20 (or whatever cutoff). If neither... well that'd be for them to iron out all the what-ifs.

You may be 100% right and this trade would be a major tragedy for them if it went through. Just saying take it from a Jets fan you want to give a drafted QB every advantage possible, and not a lottery pick QB panning out to be dependent upon lottery pick receivers also panning out as well. 

This also all ignores my desire to see the Patriots* team fail every year until after my passing, of course.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Here is what I've heard the Steelers are willing to put into a trade for Brandon Aiyuk:

-Dan Moore Jr
-James Daniels
-Calvin Austin
-2nd round pick

I've heard the 49ers want one of these back in trade for Aiyuk:

-1st round pick
-Pat Freiermuth
-George Pickens

— Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) August 6, 2024

I don't see anynody giving up a 1st round pick for a disgruntled WR.

If the 49ers want both a first and Pickens that’s a robbery, a first is fair 

5 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Don't you think it's better if he goes to the Pats? He will make the Steelers and Browns better and they are more of a threat for the playoffs.

Solid!

Obviously a trade hasn't gone through... but on the surface I'm not sure why Pitt would make a trade like this.

Maybe I like Pickens more than most and a 2 TE set of Muth and Kittle seems dangerous.

And Aiyuk isn't a top 5 WR like he wants to get paid IMO.

If the deal goes through the way it looks... I think SF wins this one.

https://www.nbcsports.com/fantasy/football/player-news?playerNewsId=00000191-2e25-dcc7-a1b7-ee77933a0000

The Athletic’s Dianna Russini reports the Steelers are “still” in talks with the 49ers about a trade for WR Brandon Aiyuk.

“No deal is done,” Russini said, citing sources familiar with the ongoing trade negotiations. The Aiyuk contract squabble and potential trade out of San Francisco has stretched on for weeks. ESPN reported Tuesday that Aiyuk did not want to be traded to the Patriots, who were willing to pay him more than $30 million per year. Aiyuk landing with the run-heavy Steelers would likely make George Pickens the team’s No. 2 wideout and could catapult Ricky Pearsall into a starting role with the Niners.

Related

George Pickens

Ricky Pearsall

Pittsburgh Steelers

8m ago

Source: Dianna Russini