Be ready for a new regime in 2025

3 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Yes, he hired Saleh, but Saleh was the consensus best HC candidate available.  JD has no control over who is available and how isn't.  I have been upset with him for allowing Saleh to hire a rookie OC and rookie QB Coach, but can understand that may have been a condition that Saleh set for taking the job, and that JD wanted to have a good working relationship with the HC and not alienate him immediately.  Having an adverse relationship between the GM and HC never works for long.

Every GM makes mistakes.  Ozzie Newsome made his share.  Yes, it took Joe longer to build the team than perhaps it should have, and we still don't have a QB of the future, but we have a loaded roster otherwise.  I understand where you're coming from.  I've been down on him a lot this last year, but he made some significant additions to the team this offseason.  For me, the key will be how he handles the upcoming offseason.  Who he re-signs/keeps and who he lets walk in FA or is unable to re-sign.

I also think that the idea that any GM could have turned this team around faster with the Jets roster he inherited and the HC candidates who were availble is not realistic.  At the time I wanted Daboll, but I didn't know about his anger issues, and he certainly hasn't proved to be much, if any better than Saleh.

The bottom line is, even if he is fired, the chances of Woody hiring someone any better are slim and none.  All it will accomplish is making the same mistake that has happened so many times in Jets' history...with a new GM and CS, schemes will change, many of the personnel we have won't fit the new scheme, so the team will be starting over with yet another rebuild.  That goes nowhere.  More than likely, if JD is fired, we wind up with another Idzik or Mac at GM.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

He's hit plenty of bumps in the road but I'm good with JD as well.  I feel like he's really improved the overall quality of the roster.  And at the very least, I think we could do far worse than him.  I don't trust the Johnson Bros to pick a better GM, plus who knows if a GM with pedigree  would even want this job.

OTOH, he has a terrible record as GM and hasn't yet made the playoffs.  I also don't trust Saleh, who he hand-picked.  And, realistically, a team is only going as far as its QB (and ours is probably only here 1-2 more years).

But overall, I feel like he's grown as a GM and I still feel optimistic about our chances of winning with him.  Let's see how this season plays out though.  If we stink again then I'm likely to do a 180 on that opinion - lol.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

Yeah I can think of a few reasons why he might want to 

Episode 6 Cha Ching GIF by Barstool Sports

Plus he has a lot of winning to do before any other (NFL) team is going to hire him as their HC.  He could easily earn the "DC is my ceiling" label.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What should I do to prepare?

10 hours ago, Claymation said:

Bottle water and Toilet paper is a nice place to start.

9 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

giphy.gif

Good suggestions.  I'm also trying to get myself in the best physical shape I can.

image.gif.dc7fe60943086b695a2aee35edb39b52.gif

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He's hit plenty of bumps in the road but I'm good with JD as well.  I feel like he's really improved the overall quality of the roster.  And at the very least, I think we could do far worse than him.  I don't trust the Johnson Bros to pick a better GM, plus who knows if a GM with pedigree  would even want this job.

OTOH, he has a terrible record as GM and hasn't yet made the playoffs.  I also don't trust Saleh, who he hand-picked.  And, realistically, a team is only going as far as its QB (and ours is probably only here 1-2 more years).

But overall, I feel like he's grown as a GM and I still feel optimistic about our chances of winning with him.  Let's see how this season plays out though.  If we stink again then I'm likely to do a 180 on that opinion - lol.

Yes, he hand-picked Saleh, but again, any GM can only hire a new HC from the available candidates.  He can't steal a HC from another team.  He can't manufacture a better candidate.  He can only choose whom he thinks is the best from those available.  Smith sure wasn't better.  Daboll has done a better job with his QBs, and I believe made the playoffs once, but I'm not sure that he's any better than Saleh, he just had a better roster with which to work.  Who was the great HC that JD was supposed to hire?

As far as the W-L record, imo no GM or HC in the history of the NFL was going to win with the Jets roster that JD inherited.  They certainly could have done better, but imo it was always going to take 2-3 years at a minimum to rebuild the team. He had bad luck with injuries, missed on key positions like LT and QB, but has done pretty well.  The Jets certainly were not going to win a lot without a quality QB.  Where was he supposed to get one of those?

I suppose that he could have taken Jordan Love in the 2020 draft, but if he had started his rookie season, he would either be the second coming of David Carr and out of the NFL, or probably struggling.

In 2021 with Trevor Lawrence gone, Zach was the next best option at QB.  If JD had traded down, he might have been able to fill some of the holes sooner, but still wouldn't have had a franchise QB.  Now one could make the point that if he had taken Love in 2020, he could then have traded down a little or stayed put and taken Penei Sewell, but I don't recall Love being that great of a QB prospect.  It wasn't like Mac passing on Mahomes and Watson because he had Hackenberg.

If he hadn't taken Love in 2020 or Zach in 2021, there wasn't a great QB prospect in 2022, either.  He would have been getting killed by the fanbase and media for rolling out some JAG like Flacco, or maybe, if he was lucky, Brissett or T. Taylor.

Do I wish that he'd been able to build a stronger team sooner?  Definitely!!!  Do I wish there had been better HC coaching candidates in 2020? Again, definitely!!!

I believe the major problem with JD is Jets history.  The fanbase is weary, frustrated, and sick of all the losing and incompetence.  We have little or not patience for rookie GMs and/or HCs.  We want the playoffs and we want them now.  JD has definitely made some big mistakes that didn't help, and delayed their getting to this point, but if he hadn't made those mistakes, and taken players who were average or slightly below average, we might be stuck with Kenny Pickett at QB, no Aaron Rodgers, no Tyron Smith and not nearly as good a team

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

This is a common sentiment but it's not how good teams are run 

The Jets have been a well run team for a total of maybe 10 years in the franchise’s entire history.  Certainly not in the last 2 decades.

I can say what you quoted as a Jets fan because I don’t live in fantasy land.  The only priority a Jets fan should have is sniffing the playoffs, not setting up a Shanahan/Reid/Harbaugh/Tomlin-esque dynasty.

On 8/13/2024 at 7:53 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Good suggestions.  I'm also trying to get myself in the best physical shape I can.

image.gif.dc7fe60943086b695a2aee35edb39b52.gif

There's a brand spanking new Calloway primo driver somewhere in this stadium, and God damn it, I'm gonna find it.

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2024 at 6:25 AM, Darnold's Forehead said:

The only thing I’ve wanted is to watch competent QB play.  If Rodgers stays healthy, we’ll get that.  I don’t care about next year.

Those of you who have gone either SB or bust, or blow up and start again are off your f*cking rockers.

You can’t reasonably expect to go from Zach Wilson-AGNB-60% to winning the SB. And you sure as hell can’t expect starting over and drafting a young QB will magically work for this franchise on try #743.

A successful season is making the playoffs. Full stop. That's where I am with this team for the foreseeable future.

• Upvote 3

On 8/13/2024 at 12:05 AM, Bronx said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40740207/new-york-jets-haason-reddick-holdout-continues

Johnson voiced his displeasure with last season's 7-10 finish, essentially putting Douglas and coach Robert Saleh on notice. Perhaps not coincidentally, nearly every veteran acquisition in the offseason was signed to a one-year contract. Notably, Rodgers, 40, has only one year remaining in guaranteed money

One agent theorized Johnson is reluctant to dole out a mega-contract, hedging his bets in case he decides to start over in 2025.

I don’t see a need for a full regime change.

Joe Douglas has built the best non QB roster I have ever seen as a 40 year Jets fan.

Having Rodgers and not winning shouldn’t fall on JD.

Now on the other hand Saleh should have been fired already, doesn’t take a professional to see he is in over his head and is a used car salesman.

But he brought his D with him and the Jets entire D personnel is catered to Salehs.

This leads me to where I’m going.

Win Lose or Draw this season Saleh should be let go.

And I’d absolutely love for Jeff Ulbrich to be promoted to HC.  IMO he has the capabilities of handling that position, and it keeps the D scheme in tact with the personnel.

The Jets SHOULD have drafted JJ McCarthy if they were gonna take a developmental player but they didn’t so it will be up to JD to find the next QB.

Replace Saleh with Ulbrich and I’d be ok.

Also Hackett has to go as soon as Rodgers is done.

Man lots of folks defending incompetence- the purpose is to win games and Joe has massively failed there. It would be like a sales guy having terrible sales year after year and saying he is a good salesman 

Some act like Joe is still in year one - during the same time the Jags  Texans lions browns all surpassed us - I would argue the Bears are about to pass us as well

Joe went all in on a 40 year old QB it failed year 1( he had no viable back up either ) 

this year is playoffs or hit the road Joe

• Thumb Down 1

19 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Man lots of folks defending incompetence- the purpose is to win games and Joe has massively failed there. It would be like a sales guy having terrible sales year after year and saying he is a good salesman 

Some act like Joe is still in year one - during the same time the Jags  Texans lions browns all surpassed us - I would argue the Bears are about to pass us as well

Joe went all in on a 40 year old QB it failed year 1( he had no viable back up either ) 

this year is playoffs or hit the road Joe

It would be more like saying a guy is a good salesman without having any sales while refusing to consider the fact that the shop he works at burned down.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

It would be more like saying a guy is a good salesman without having any sales while refusing to consider the fact that the shop he works at burned down.

that is pure nonsense-he has been here longer than the avg nlf players career-Joe is not in year one two or three 

During the same time frame-the Browns Texans Lions Jaqs all did rebuilds and all achieved better results. The Bears are about to leap frog us as well. 

How long does he need to "build the ship back " 10 years?  Lets keep in mind when he started to rebuild the shop in your example-the first thing one does is build the foundation-how did Joe do that?   Wilson Becton and Mims-all gone all major busts. Joe also hired the foreman in charge of the operation-Saleh .....

Last year was to be the year the jets were "all in" it failed.

This year has to be the year Joe is held accountable -his coach , his players , his plan-this is a results oriented business like any other-at some point you have to have results. If Joe's team and it is his team goes on a playoff run then you say Joe achieved the desired results and you extend him-if the teams busts out yet again you fire him-the real scary thing is if the teams  sucks there is no viable QB in the room (Arod will be gone if they suck this year) so once again Joe will be moving on to once again try to address the QB position.

4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

This year has to be the year Joe is held accountable -his coach , his players , his plan-this is a results oriented business like any other-at some point you have to have results. If Joe's team and it is his team goes on a playoff run then you say Joe achieved the desired results and you extend him

Has there been anyone that has said anything differently? You are arguing with yourself.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, kmnj said:

that is pure nonsense-he has been here longer than the avg nlf players career-Joe is not in year one two or three 

During the same time frame-the Browns Texans Lions Jaqs all did rebuilds and all achieved better results. The Bears are about to leap frog us as well. 

How long does he need to "build the ship back " 10 years?  Lets keep in mind when he started to rebuild the shop in your example-the first thing one does is build the foundation-how did Joe do that?   Wilson Becton and Mims-all gone all major busts. Joe also hired the foreman in charge of the operation-Saleh .....

This year has to be the year Joe is held accountable -his coach , his players , his plan-this is a results oriented business like any other-at some point you have to have results. If Joe's team and it is his team goes on a playoff run then you say Joe achieved the desired results and you extend him-if the teams busts out yet again you fire him-the real scary thing is if the teams  sucks there is no viable QB in the room (Arod will be gone if they suck this year) so once again Joe will be moving on to once again try to address the QB position.

If you expected them to compete right away with the roster he inherited, that is not the fault of Joe Douglas.  That is your fault for not knowing what he inherited.

If you thought the team would be just as good without Aaron Rodgers as they would be with Aaron Rodgers, that is not the fault of Joe Douglas.  That's your fault for not understanding the importance of the QB position and the dropoff from Rodgers to almost any other QB in NFL history.

If you don't understand that this is arguably the most talented Jets roster in the history of the franchise, that's not Joe Douglas' fault either.

He's not going anywhere.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If you expected them to compete right away with the roster he inherited, that is not the fault of Joe Douglas.  That is your fault for not knowing what he inherited.

If you thought the team would be just as good without Aaron Rodgers as they would be with Aaron Rodgers, that is not the fault of Joe Douglas.  That's your fault for not understanding the importance of the QB position and the dropoff from Rodgers to almost any other QB in NFL history.

If you don't understand that this is arguably the most talented Jets roster in the history of the franchise, that's not Joe Douglas' fault either.

He's not going anywhere.

the bolded is comical

it is not right away-it is years later -as noted the lions browns texans and jags all did a better job in the same amount of time or less and now so have the bears (but we need to see results but I am confident we will) 

I understand that every move Joe has made at the QB position has failed miserably -that is a fact- 

Just now, kmnj said:

the bolded is comical

it is not right away-it is years later -as noted the lions browns texans and jags all did a better job in the same amount of time or less and now so have the bears (but we need to see results but I am confident we will) 

I understand that every move Joe has made at the QB position has failed miserably -that is a fact- 

Amazing how you can draft all pros and key positions but if your qb sucks your gm rep is mostly about that.  

25 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Just want to make sure we are on the same page for this discussion. 

JD should be fired for building a strong roster but one with an aging QB because he didn’t make the playoffs. 

But the Browns, with a strong roster, worst QB contract in the league and a wild card loss are in great shape?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/13/2024 at 7:21 AM, AFJF said:

Soak it up before this team *starts winning games and getting you down all over again.

The fundamental misunderstanding of the homers, pollyannas and optimists amongst us.

The "Haters", cynics, doubters and pessimists aren't ROOTING for bad things.  We do not like or enjoy bad things.

We may predict them.

We may expect them.

We may have anxiety they will occur.

We may perform analysis that says they will occur.

We may see the glass half empty, and focus on the bad over the good.

But we do not want, nor enjoy, bad outcomes.  We want to win and win it all as much as any pollyanna, optimist or homer.

Saying we "get down" when the team wins is misguided.  We don't.  

On 8/13/2024 at 7:21 AM, AFJF said:

*pending the remaining uprightedness of Aaron Rodgers.

Hilarious irony that in a post denouncing the less optimistic, you couldn't actually stand by your superior optimism without yourself engaging in a little bit of pessimistic caveat making and preemptive doom prep, lol.

Welcome to the pessimists.  We're glad to have you.

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the bolded is comical

But it was right away when it was right away.  Notice it's in chronological order:

1: Right away = the first 2-3 years after taking over a roster that had four or five NFL players on it.  Had to find 48 more guys.

2: Rodgers getting hurt = the time frame almost immediately after right away.

3: Today

If you don't understand how hard it is to find a legit NFL QB, that too is your fault.  Expect every draft pick to be a superstar and you'll have a new GM every 12 months.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The fundamental misunderstanding of the homers, pollyannas and optimists amongst us.

The "Haters", cynics, doubters and pessimists aren't ROOTING for bad things.  We do not like or enjoy bad things.

We may predict them.

We may expect them.

But we do not want, nor enjoy, bad outcomes.  We want to win and win it all as much as any pollyanna, optimist or homer.

Hilarious irony that in a post denouncing the less optimistic, you couldn't actually stand by your superior optimism without yourself engaging in a little bit of pessimistic caveat making and preemptive doom prep, lol.

Looking at the big picture and living in reality is the world I live it.  It does not resemble yours in the least.

Easily the most talented Jets roster I've ever seen in my near 40 years as a fan and you guys are burning the midnight oil trying to find any negative story you can so you can come here and talk about how the GM needs to be fired because facts and context be damned.

And understanding injuries have an impact on the team shouldn't be all that big a revelation.

12 minutes ago, BCJet said:

JD should be fired for building a strong roster but one with an aging QB because he didn’t make the playoffs. 

But the Browns, with a strong roster, worst QB contract in the league and a wild card loss are in great shape?

giphy.webp

On 8/13/2024 at 12:05 AM, Bronx said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40740207/new-york-jets-haason-reddick-holdout-continues

Johnson voiced his displeasure with last season's 7-10 finish, essentially putting Douglas and coach Robert Saleh on notice. Perhaps not coincidentally, nearly every veteran acquisition in the offseason was signed to a one-year contract. Notably, Rodgers, 40, has only one year remaining in guaranteed money

One agent theorized Johnson is reluctant to dole out a mega-contract, hedging his bets in case he decides to start over in 2025.

Of course he is. I've been saying that for months. It's so obvious..Not extending Reed, Carter II etc...Reddick. Simpson & TTaylor 2 yr deals but all other FA are 1 yr deals

Woody wants the books as clean as possible should a new regime be needed.  It'd be alot better selling point to prospective GMs.

Hopefully, it never comes to that. Personally, I think JD has done a good job.  Yes, he missed on ZW. So have most of the other GMs that have drafted QBs the past 5-10 yrs.  But I've read on here by many and agree, the roster the past couple of seasons has been playoff worthy.  The QB position has held this team back. '23 season. 4 plays. 4. 

JoeD has been a mixed bag, some good, some bad. This is the best Jets roster in a long time but getting to this point has been arduous. His biggest mistake was drafting ZW and sticking with him when it was obvious he couldn't get the job done. Having him as the number 2 behind Rodgers last year when there were good vet backups available was inexcusable. The ZW charade set the franchise back years. This is also the first year that I'm confident that the Oline will be a solid unit. This is year 6 and he and Saleh should be on the hot seat. It's time. Make the playoffs at the very least or start looking for another job. 

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

JD should be fired for his teams performance under his watch-his record abysmal 29 games under 500-if the team fails again yes he should be fired-but as noted if they succeed you extend him-I believe this is a must win/show results season for the Jets and Joe and I am hardly alone in this. I dont think you keep giving a guy a pass for bad performance . 

If the Jets fail to make the playoffs are in favor of keeping him? How long do you give him? Parcells took a 1-15 team to the AFC championship not long after-one could argue Parcells cost us Peyton but he got results. 

I referenced other teams that did rebuilds in the same or shorter time frame with better results

lions texans jags and even the bears(but we need to see it not just on paper) I notice you did not reference them- and as to the browns yes their rebuild has gone better so far-they managed to go to the playoffs with no QB, the stud RB hurt and Cooper playing hurt-they 

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Looking at the big picture and living in reality is the world I live it. 

Lol, ok.  It's funny how often the pollyannas say this. 

Funnier still that they never admit after the fact their previous rosy predictions turned out to be fantasy, not that "reality" they claimed it was.

It does not resemble yours in the least.

You have no idea what my world looks like.  All you know is my opinions of specific aspects of the NY Jets over my time here.  

Easily the most talented Jets roster I've ever seen in my near 40 years

Really?  I'd say the 2009/2010 Jets were very close.  The 1985/1986 Jets were also very close.  Rodgers is the clear upgrade of today, but some of those past teams were superior at other key spots.

Again, hyperbole like "easily the best" exposes you as either ignorant of best talented teams of "the past 40 years" or just blowing hot air.

as a fan and you guys are burning the midnight oil trying to find any negative story

It doesn't take alot of 'midnight oil burning' to say "injury risk is our biggest potential pitfall", or that the Reddick holdout is a net negative, nor does saying it make one the horrible vile fiend you seem to think it does.

you can so you can come here and talk about how the GM needs to be fired because facts and context be damned.

I don't see anyone calling for the GM to be fired right now.  Don't get me wrong, there is always a few outliers on any wack opinion, of course, so I'm sure there is one or two here.

I think what many folks would say, as I myself have said, is that IF this team doesn't produce a winning, playoff season in 2024, it's possible/likely the GM would be fired after 6 strait non-playoff and/or losing seasons, and the Head Coach would almost assuredly be let go.  

And understanding injuries have an impact on the team shouldn't be all that big a revelation.

Again, hilarious irony here.  You say the exact same thing as most of the people you're so quick to denounce and put yourself above.

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lol, ok.  It's funny how often the pollyannas say this. 

Funnier still that they never admit after the fact their previous rosy predictions turned out to be fantasy, not that "reality" they claimed it was.

You have no idea what my world looks like.  All you know is my opinions of specific aspects of the NY Jets over my time here.  

Really?  I'd say the 2009/2010 Jets were very close.  The 1985/1986 Jets were also very close.  Rodgers is the clear upgrade of today, but some of those past teams were superior at other key spots.

Again, hyperbole like "easily the best" exposes you as either ignorant of best talented teams of "the past 40 years" or just blowing hot air.

It doesn't take alot of 'midnight oil burning' to say "injury risk is our biggest potential pitfall", or that the Reddick holdout is a net negative, nor does saying it make one the horrible vile fiend you seem to think it does.

I don't see anyone calling for the GM to be fired right now.  Don't get me wrong, there is always a few outliers on any wack opinion, of course, so I'm sure there is one or two here.

I think what many folks would say, as I myself have said, is that IF this team doesn't produce a winning, playoff season in 2024, it's possible/likely the GM would be fired after 6 strait non-playoff and/or losing seasons, and the Head Coach would almost assuredly be let go.  

Again, hilarious irony here.  You say the exact same thing as most of the people you're so quick to denounce and put yourself above.

We get it.  "Joe D. bad.  Not do any good things".

Aaron Rodgers and mid major college team team is better than any team led by Mark Sanchez.

I have a feeling you're in for a long year.  A healthy Jets team could win 12 or more games.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

We may predict them.

We may expect them.

In fairness I hate Woody and being a long time Jets fans I probably hate the Jets slighly more than necessary.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

We get it.  "Joe D. bad.  Not do any good things".

Lol, nope.  You don't get it.  At all. 

There couldn't be a more sign of that than this reply, lol.

Aaron Rodgers and mid major college team team is better than any team led by Mark Sanchez.

Great, hope you're right, because Rodgers has much better than a "mid major college" roster this year.

The mid-80's Jets won 11 and 10 games with Kenny O.

The Rex Jets won 9 and 11 games with Sanchez.

If Rodgers is as good as you say, 12 wins should be easy then, which would be great!

I have a feeling you're in for a long year.  A healthy Jets team could win 12 or more games.

That would be awesome.  Nothing would make me happier than an injury-free season and a resultant deep playoff run.